PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Rules

tayto repairman
05/05/2006, 4:45 AM
i see the powers that be in the gaa are off to dubai for a holiday next week. well for them isn't it? shower of ****s.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=60269

:mad:

Stevo Da Gull
06/05/2006, 11:09 PM
Now I know that i'll probably get shot down for this suggestion and I generally don't watch many GAA matches although I do watch a good bit of Aussie Rules.
Is there no way that both organisations could play the internationals every 2/3 years, cut back on the amount of domestic games and take the best eight teams from each counrty (all-ireland qtr-finalists for exmpl) and have a Knock-out competition? Alternitavely you could have a `Super Cup` or `Champions Cup` trophy between the best team from each.
If money were pumped into it so that it was taken seriously I reckon it would work, although of course there will be a problem if there's big money involved as regards to the Amateur players of the GAA.

Just a thought:confused:

finlma
08/05/2006, 5:53 PM
I much prefer Aussie Rules to the GAA myself. The tackle makes all the difference.

Stevo Da Gull
14/05/2006, 9:39 PM
I much prefer Aussie Rules to the GAA myself. The tackle makes all the difference.
Definately, and I know that the GAA lads are very fit and all but looking at the Aussie rules players it's not hard to see why they're too physical for the Gaa players. The AFL programme on SKY every week is top notch also.

For anyone curious or interested in AFL - http://afl.com.au/

padjoe
17/05/2006, 12:39 AM
Is there no way that both organisations could play the internationals every 2/3 years, cut back on the amount of domestic games and take the best eight teams from each counrty (all-ireland qtr-finalists for exmpl) and have a Knock-out competition? Alternitavely you could have a `Super Cup` or `Champions Cup` trophy between the best team from each.

Just a thought:confused:

hey stevo thats not a bad idea but do you think it might be a way of rejuvenating life back into the provincal sides. i think alone county/club sides would not be strong enough but it could suit the provincial sides just in much the same way, open to correction here, the heineken cup has bolstered the standard of provincial rugby in this country.
It would certainly add an extra dimension for players to perform.

Stevo Da Gull
20/05/2006, 3:51 PM
hey stevo thats not a bad idea but do you think it might be a way of rejuvenating life back into the provincal sides. i think alone county/club sides would not be strong enough but it could suit the provincial sides just in much the same way, open to correction here, the heineken cup has bolstered the standard of provincial rugby in this country.
It would certainly add an extra dimension for players to perform.

I agree completely, thats a better idea. Does anyone know how much communication there is between GAA and AFL? I wonder would something like this be open for discussion and do they knock idea's like this between each other at all? With the right sort of backing from the media/TV etc it could be a real sucsess IMO