PDA

View Full Version : Azerbaijan v Ireland - U21 playoff

Pages : [1] 2

A face
05/05/2006, 12:28 AM
This story from www.fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=463)

Rene Gilmartin - (Walsall)
Keith Keane - (Luton Town)
Richard Keogh - (Bristol City)

Does anyone know anything about them ..... are they getting first team football ?? Are they any good ??

Any info here would be great.

Dr. Ogba
05/05/2006, 12:36 AM
This story from www.fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=463)

Rene Gilmartin - (Walsall)
Keith Keane - (Luton Town)
Richard Keogh - (Bristol City)

Does anyone know anything about them ..... are they getting first team football ?? Are they any good ??

Any info here would be great.

Keith Keane is quite highly rated at Luton I believe. Think he was given a new contract there recently...

Risteard
05/05/2006, 1:39 AM
Ou est Roy?
Fecking disgrace.

Tenderloins
05/05/2006, 11:23 AM
Rene Gilmartin is a young keeper, hes 18 or 19, who has started a few games for Walsall this season as well as warming the bench fairly regularly.

Richard Keough, was on the books of Stoke, joined Bristol City to get first team football, but has only made a few appearances and was sent out on loan to Wycome for a while last year.

Risteard
05/05/2006, 9:27 PM
No Roy O'Donovan but Behan called up.:rolleyes:
Inexcusable ineptitude.

Plastic Paddy
05/05/2006, 10:04 PM
Opinions are like ărseholes. Everyone has one.

On a slight remove (but directly connected to the above) it always amazes me how, despite totally upfûcking the job of u-21 manager in all departments from results to selection to coaching, Don Givens has escaped the chop year after year. Teflon man or what? The ultimate non-stick merchant.

:ball: PP

gustavo
05/05/2006, 10:52 PM
Of course he can roll out the line "Look at all the players I've groomed for the senior squad" like being in the u-21 squad under him has made even the slightest contribution towards them being called up.

pete
05/05/2006, 10:55 PM
On a slight remove (but directly connected to the above) it always amazes me how, despite totally upfûcking the job of u-21 manager in all departments from results to selection to coaching, Don Givens has escaped the chop year after year. Teflon man or what? The ultimate non-stick merchant.

No doesn't rock the boat in the FAI. Must have some powerful backers. Sure we have success at every level except U21s (FFS Maderia doesn't really count does it) & been no comment in the media or anywhere. Givens has dragged us into the lowest tier of U21 football so have to qualify against Azerbijan & still no affect on him.
He dropped Kevin Doyle when in his best form for game against France U21s yet is able to claim a part in Doyles progression to the senior team.

:rolleyes:

Superhoops
10/05/2006, 6:46 AM
Heard that U-21's are training in UK in preparation for game in Baku. Played Arsenal's reserves last Monday. Came up against Theo Walcott who apparently was very impressive.

drinkfeckarse
10/05/2006, 8:42 AM
I think we can all agree that Givens is a muppet. And a useless muppet at that. The blame has to be at the door of the F.A.I. though, it's not his fault he's still in a job.

FarBeag
10/05/2006, 8:59 PM
I think we can all agree that Givens is a muppet. And a useless muppet at that. The blame has to be at the door of the F.A.I. though, it's not his fault he's still in a job.

Exactly. I cringe every time this clowns name is mentioned
.For the life of me I cannot understand why he is still in charge of the u21 team.What sort of role model is he for any young player?

Paddy Garcia
10/05/2006, 9:52 PM
Heard that U-21's are training in UK in preparation for game in Baku. Played Arsenal's reserves last Monday. Came up against Theo Walcott who apparently was very impressive.

What was the score?

pete
10/05/2006, 11:10 PM
What was the score?

2-1 to the reserves. Keegan scored for Ireland U21s.

Stuttgart88
11/05/2006, 12:20 PM
Here's the team (4-3-3):

Darren Quigley U.C.D,

Kevin Foley Luton Town, Richard Keogh Bristol City, Alex Bruce Birmingham City, Marcos Painter Birmingham City,

Paul Keegan Drogheda United, Willo Flood Manchester City (Captain), Michael Timlin Fulham,

Roy O'Donovan Cork City, Andy Keogh S****horpe, Aiden McGeady Celtic

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=497

KO 2pm our time today.

If anyone can provide updates I'd appreciate it.

pineapple stu
11/05/2006, 12:26 PM
No updates on livescore.net, anyway. Can't imagine either the FAI website of the Azeri website would be up to that kind of detail! Aertel tells me Scotland have beaten Bulgaria 5-1 in Japan, but doesn't even mention the game anywhere. Maybe uefa.com?

Utter waste of money, this trip. Still, best of luck to Daz 'n' Gaz! :)

pete
11/05/2006, 12:29 PM
Very strange that O'Donovan was the last player to be added to the squad yet starts the game.... :confused:

He is however well suited to the 4-3-3 system.

Midfield doesn't look like much strength there.

Stuttgart88
11/05/2006, 12:56 PM
I thought exactly the same about O'Donovan.

pineapple stu
11/05/2006, 12:58 PM
He's done that before as well.

I suppose I could get the team doctor's (also the UCD doctor) number and text him for updates, but I doubt he'd be overly happy with sending texts from Azerbaijan to Ireland!!

Stuttgart88
11/05/2006, 12:59 PM
Ah no rush, we'll know later this afternoon I imagine.

eirebhoy
11/05/2006, 1:03 PM
I'd say the FAI will give a half time update at least. Actually, maybe they'll be updating it regularly:
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=503

pineapple stu
11/05/2006, 1:30 PM
1-0 down (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=503)! :eek:

eirebhoy
11/05/2006, 1:32 PM
If we lose this match (over 2 legs) does that mean there's no competitive U21 matches for 2 years?

pineapple stu
11/05/2006, 1:35 PM
Yep.

Don't know if there'll be U-21 friendlies to coincide with the Euro 2008 campaign.

thegit
11/05/2006, 1:44 PM
How can we be this bad?

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=503

eirebhoy
11/05/2006, 1:56 PM
Almost half the original squad pulled out (4 central midfielders).

Darren Quigley (U.C.D),
Colin Doyle (Birmingham City) - injured
Kevin Foley (Luton Town)
Paul McShane (Brighton) - injured
Alex Bruce (Birmingham City)
Marcos Painter (Birmingham City)
James Hand (Huddersfield Town)
Willo Flood (Man City)
Gary Dicker (U.C.D)
Michael Timlin (Fulham)
Stephen Ireland (Man City) - Injured.
Joey O’Brien (Bolton Wanderers) - Must have pulled out because of senior callup but McGeady is in both squads.
Darren Potter (Southampton) - Must be injured
Glenn Whelan (Sheffield Wednesday) Injured
Aiden McGeady (Celtic)
Andy Keogh (S****horpe)
Stephen Ward (Bohemians) - Injured
Jay Tabb (Brentford) - Club Playoff

drinkfeckarse
11/05/2006, 2:07 PM
The squad is still not bad on paper so to be losing to this sh!te is bordering on disgraceful IMO. But good 'ol Don will still be in a job if it happens:mad:

thegit
11/05/2006, 2:07 PM
f**kin Azerbaijan, if we can't beat them with the players thats out there we're up s***s creak. Whats with the 4-3-3 anyway thats ok for a team that plays regularly together not for a bunch of lads thrown together.

pete
11/05/2006, 2:22 PM
1-1 now........

thegit
11/05/2006, 2:25 PM
any news who scored?

Paddy Garcia
11/05/2006, 2:32 PM
There was a recent thread about the risk of the Republic going the same way as the North - basically into the wilderness.

Well Northern Ireland U21 romped to an 8-1 aggregate success over Liechtenstein.

Schumi
11/05/2006, 2:34 PM
Not even mentioned on newstalk sports news. Do away goals count BTW?

eirebhoy
11/05/2006, 2:35 PM
There was a recent thread about the risk of the Republic going the same way as the North - basically into the wilderness.

Not going to happen any time soon. :) The domestic league is as strong as it has been in the last decade or so and there's more players breaking through in the UK than I can ever remember.

Paddy Garcia
11/05/2006, 2:36 PM
Not going to happen any time soon. :) The domestic league is as strong as ever and there's more players breaking through in the UK than I can ever remember.

Totall agree , that's why the U21 preformances are so disappointing.

gspain
11/05/2006, 2:36 PM

Well Northern Ireland U21 romped to an 8-1 aggregate success over Liechtenstein.
Yes but put Givens in charge and they'd have lost 8-1.

gspain
11/05/2006, 2:40 PM
Not even mentioned on newstalk sports news. Do away goals count BTW?

No mention on Errortel either but they have the main game for Irish football fans as Scotland beat Bulgaria. :mad:

Paddy Garcia
11/05/2006, 2:41 PM
Have England to thank anyway..........

"Republic of Ireland under-21 manager Don Givens has enlisted the help of the English Football Association in a bid to avoid embarrassment against Azerbaijan.

Givens' squad face the Azeris in the first leg of a preliminary round tie for the European Championships in Baku on Thursday.

In terms of logistics and planning for the game, Givens could not have asked for a more difficult draw.

However, aware England played Azerbaijan in a European Championship qualifier in October 2004, Givens contacted the FA for assistance.

"The FA sent four or five match report dossiers on Azerbaijan, and also informed me as to the problems they encountered, and how to go about things," said Givens.

"It was all good advice and very informative, although a number of players mentioned in the reports will no longer be playing for the under-21 side.

"But I'm hoping everything will run smoothly. We're staying in a good hotel and, although there's a four-hour time difference, we are staying on UK time.

"In terms of the body clock, we felt that would be easier for the players, so we are as prepared as we can be.

"There are no great concerns. It's just a little like the old eastern bloc."

Givens has done his own homework on Azerbaijan, who play the return leg with Ireland at Kilkenny's Buckley Park next Thursday.

"I saw them draw 1-1 in a friendly with Georgia in Tbilisi recently, and they are a decent side," added Givens.

"They play a 3-5-2 formation, which is something I've been working on with the boys in training at Bisham Abbey these last few days.

"We are going to have to be right if we are to do the business. We cannot afford to be sloppy."

As has become customary for Givens, he has had to contend with a host of withdrawals from his original 18-man squad.

Key players in Joey O'Brien of Bolton, Manchester City's Stephen Ireland, Darren Potter of Liverpool, Millwall's Colin Doyle and Glenn Whelan of Sheffield Wednesday have all withdrawn.

Given, though, believes his 17-man squad is still "strong enough" to get a result.

"We've still a good bunch of boys and, as long as we get a decent result in this first game, then I'm sure we'll be okay," insisted Givens.

If the Republic win they will face Belgium and Greece in the group stageslater this year."

....from Sportinglife

razor
11/05/2006, 2:43 PM
"Republic of Ireland under-21 manager Don Givens has enlisted the help of the English Football Association in a bid to avoid embarrassment against Azerbaijan.Too late Don, you're already an embarrassment.

pete
11/05/2006, 2:47 PM
I would be surprised if away goals did not count.

Home teams alltime U21 record.

Played 46
Won 4
Drew 7
Lost 35
For 15
Against 112

Paddy Garcia
11/05/2006, 2:51 PM
Blimey 1-2 now

Stuttgart88
11/05/2006, 2:52 PM
To Ireland you should have added - was worried there for a sec.

Paddy Garcia
11/05/2006, 2:53 PM
To Ireland you should have added - was worried there for a sec.

Yeah sorry - corrected it

razor
11/05/2006, 3:03 PM
All over 1-2 FT

thegit
11/05/2006, 3:05 PM
You can hear Givens sigh of relief from Azerbaijan to Dublin. His jobs safe for another day.

Forever Dreamin
11/05/2006, 3:06 PM
Opinions are like ărseholes. Everyone has one.

:ball: PP

Just as well Duffer and Robbie bypassed the U21s isn't it

Maybe he was offered a job for life on that October night in 1973 if he scored a hat trick against the russians!!! (hope my memory of the year is correct, i was only a wee boy and dalyer was full to the rafters - and we wernt called event junkies in those days)

pineapple stu
11/05/2006, 3:06 PM
If he didn't get the sack after that disgraceful performance in Cyprus which saw us finish second last in the group with just five countries across Europe on fewer points, he never will get the sack. I doubt he cares that much, to be honest. His position's safe, it would appear.

Any ideas who scored?

gspain
11/05/2006, 3:10 PM
Just as well Duffer and Robbie bypassed the U21s isn't it

Maybe he was offered a job for life on that October night in 1973 if he scored a hat trick against the russians!!! (hope my memory of the year is correct, i was only a wee boy and dalyer was full to the rafters - and we wernt called event junkies in those days)

It was 1974 and technically the Soviets if you want a total anorak response. He got 4 a year later v Turkey. Great player no question.

tetsujin1979
11/05/2006, 3:13 PM
Any ideas who scored?
Andy Keogh with both, in the 58th and 88th minutes

thegit
11/05/2006, 3:17 PM
where did you get that from ?

eirebhoy
11/05/2006, 3:19 PM
where did you get that from ?
http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p222.htm

NeilMcD
11/05/2006, 3:20 PM
Fair play Ireland but still no confidence in Givens.