PDA

View Full Version : Ireland v Chile, 24/05/06

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

OwlsFan
04/05/2006, 12:56 PM
Looks as if Keano will be out of this game:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0504/keaner.html

Doyle and Morrison to start up front but does the game clash with the play-offs (says he too lazy to check) ?

Stuttgart88
04/05/2006, 1:10 PM
No harm. Looks like he'll get a good long rest (& hopefully he won't even have CL qualifiers to play in either :)). Doyle needs another run out & it'll benefit Morrisson too. We've got to have a back-up plan if Robbie is injured.

If he was injured next September I'd be worried though.

Stuttgart88
04/05/2006, 1:28 PM
I see Andy O'Brien is out. Will be interesting to see Staunton's choice of replacement.

OwlsFan
04/05/2006, 1:33 PM
McCarthy and Dunne ? We really should have a look at players like McCarthy in games like this.

Stuttgart88
04/05/2006, 1:38 PM
I agree, but it's hard to see McCarthy jumping from not being in the Sweden squad to starting against Chile, just because one player is injured.

Equally, if Staunton really sees O'Shea as a midfielder then it'd be pointless trying him at CB.

I think we'd have had a fair idea what Kerr would have done but we've no real idea of what Stan thinks. Always interesting when a new man comes in.

tetsujin1979
04/05/2006, 2:55 PM
Morrison could be out if Palace get to the play off finals, along with Douglas and Miller if Leeds also reach the final.

Don't rule McShane out of a call up as a replacement for O'Brien either.

FarBeag
04/05/2006, 10:17 PM
McCarthy and Dunne ? We really should have a look at players like McCarthy in games like this.

Yes..Totally agree with you there. Give the man a go.He is a good player and will probably prove to many of that he much better than we think.Players with the attitude of Gary Cahill gives me more pleasure in watching McCarthy and Mcshane succeed.

Dr. Ogba
04/05/2006, 11:02 PM
Morrison could be out if Palace get to the play off finals, along with Douglas and Miller if Leeds also reach the final.

Don't rule McShane out of a call up as a replacement for O'Brien either.

McShane injured at the moment no?

Also who could we expect to play up front if Morrison and Keane are both out?

Doyle and...........??

tetsujin1979
04/05/2006, 11:23 PM

Doyle and...........??
How about Reid playing behind him? I'm assuming we're ruling Doherty out as a striker from here on in? What about Lee Trundle?

Dr. Ogba
04/05/2006, 11:43 PM
How about Reid playing behind him? I'm assuming we're ruling Doherty out as a striker from here on in? What about Lee Trundle?

Ah stop with this Lee Trundle lark, there is absolutely no point in calling a late-twenties journeyman that is playing in the 3rd tier of English league up to a squad that is looking to the future...

I like the Andy Reid idea though...leads to playing an attacking 4-5-1 (Duff and McGeady given free reign on the wings) and opens up a few other options in midfield...that would be interesting....

tetsujin1979
05/05/2006, 12:05 AM
Ah stop with this Lee Trundle lark, there is absolutely no point in calling a late-twenties journeyman that is playing in the 3rd tier of English league up to a squad that is looking to the future...

I like the Andy Reid idea though...leads to playing an attacking 4-5-1 (Duff and McGeady given free reign on the wings) and opens up a few other options in midfield...that would be interesting....

I'm not going to start another Trundle argument, but your description there fits John Alridge to a T before he declared for us....

McGeady will be involved with the U-21's against Azerbaijan (so help me God, if we lose against them....) so he won't be playing against Chile, ditto Willo Flood

Dr. Ogba
05/05/2006, 12:31 AM
I'm not going to start another Trundle argument, but your description there fits John Alridge to a T before he declared for us....

McGeady will be involved with the U-21's against Azerbaijan (so help me God, if we lose against them....) so he won't be playing against Chile, ditto Willo Flood

Agreed on Trundle...we'll leave that for another day :) Pity about McGeady, would have liked to see him get a proper run in the seniors (as opposed to the 89th minute run-outs that Kerr used to give him)

Hows about a 5-man midfield of:

Duff + Lawrence as attacking wingers
Reid (playing behind Doyle)
O'Shea + S. Reid anchoring

Would be quite a decent midfield and would make for an interesting match...Have stuck Lawrence on the right there coz I can't think of anyone else....

as_i_say
05/05/2006, 9:18 AM
liam lawrence. do me a lemon. another championship player-he can feck off. mcgeady needs to be developed asap. i'd have andy reid on the right and duff on the left. lawrence is well down the pecking order imo

Over the post
05/05/2006, 10:15 AM

Doyle and...........??

Is Stephen Elliot still injured?

If Doyle is the only available striker, I suppose boosting the midfield, where we have more players, is the obvious option.

Dr. Ogba
07/05/2006, 4:52 AM
liam lawrence. do me a lemon. another championship player-he can feck off. mcgeady needs to be developed asap. i'd have andy reid on the right and duff on the left. lawrence is well down the pecking order imo

Andy Reid is not an option on the right, its a bloody waste of one of the few good passers of the ball that we have...

Whats wrong with Lawrence? sure he's not going to set the world alight but dismissing him as only a "championship player" is a bit short-sighted isn't it? If you go with that attitute then surely we could dismiss half the squad as well as most of the young players coming through!! Also, sorry to bang on about this though, would you be the same guy thats been clamouring for the inclusion of Trundle??? Well sure he's not even a championship player for feck sake!!

Is Stephen Elliot still injured?

Yep, as far as I know he still hasn't got over the injury he's had all season...pity I'd like to see him have a good run...

OwlsFan
09/05/2006, 8:04 AM
SQUAD FOR GAME AGAINST CHILE

Shay Given Newcastle United
Paddy Kenny Sheffield United
Wayne Henderson Brighton & Hove Albion
Gary Breen Sunderland
Andy O'Brien Portsmouth
Richard Dunne Manchester City
Joey O'Brien Bolton Wanderers
Ian Harte Levante
Steve Finnan Liverpool
Liam Lawrence Sunderland
Stephen Kelly Tottenham Hotspur
John O'Shea Manchester United
Steven Reid Blackburn Rovers
Andy Reid Tottenham Hotspur
Graham Kavanagh Wigan Athletic
Jonathan Douglas Leeds United
Alan Lee Cardiff City
Alan Quinn Sheffield United
Michael Doyle Coventry City
Liam Miller Leeds United
Kevin Kilbane Everton
Damien Duff Chelsea
Stephen Elliott Sunderland
Kevin Doyle Reading
Aiden McGeady Celtic
Terry Dixon Tottenham Hotspur
Jason Byrne Shelbourne
Robbie Keane Tottenham Hotspur
Clinton Morrison Crystal Palace

Is Terry Dixon the next "wonder kid" even though he hasn't even played for Spurs reserves apparently ? I know we're making sure he doesn't declare for England but isn't this going a bit too far ??

eirebhoy
09/05/2006, 10:31 AM
I've been looking at a few posts from Chilean's on another forum and everyone seems to think Kibane and O'Shea are 2 of our best players. They're in for a shock. Duff, Given and Keane are also highly regarded but Duff wouldn't be regarded as our best player. O'Shea is described as the "trunk" of the team. :)

OwlsFan
10/05/2006, 1:48 PM
How is Harte getting on at Levante by the way ? Were they relegated and is he now playing or about to play 2nd Division football in Spain ?

JimmyP
10/05/2006, 4:19 PM
Hadn't heard a thing until i was surprised to see his inclusion in the Indo's top-50 Irish players, at no. 32:

"32 Ian Harte (Levante)
Relegation from La Liga didn't bode well for Harte and he has been anxious to return to England. When all potential deals fell through he got on with the job in hand and has helped Levante move to within touching distance of promotion with a series of steady displays and a few cracking goals."

Dazzy
10/05/2006, 11:26 PM
Levante are in 4th position in the Segunda Division on goal difference.

pete
10/05/2006, 11:29 PM
The Indo top 40 article was classy journalism. Thornley must have done a degree to write that stuff. How can anyone grade players without seeing them play? :confused:

OwlsFan
17/05/2006, 10:48 AM
Got my tickets yesterday. Preferred starting line up:

Kenny, Harte, O'Shea, Dunne, Finnan, Duff, Reid S, Kavanagh, Reid A, Doyle, Morrisson.

bwagner
17/05/2006, 11:31 AM
mine would be kenny harte dunne o brien
kavanagh, s reid, a reid, quinn , duff
doyle morrison

OwlsFan
17/05/2006, 12:10 PM
I think O'Brien (ANdy) is injured.

bwagner
17/05/2006, 12:49 PM
oh yea buddy i was talking about joey

Paulie
17/05/2006, 12:52 PM
As Doyle and Keane have only played together once I think it would make more sense to play the two of them from the start. We only have 2 games before the Germany match so in order to find his best partnership Staunton needs to see if they can play together. He knows what to expect from the partnership of Keane and Morrisson so it makes more sense to give Doyle and Keane some more game time together. Maybe try Doyle and Morrisson for the last half hour to see how they work in case something happens to Keane.

My preferred line up would be:

Kenny

Finnan
O'Shea
Dunne
Harte

McGeady
Stephen Reid
Kavanagh
Duff

Keane
Doyle

If Andy O'Brien was available I'd probably have changed a couple of things but he's not so this is what I'd go for. Along with bringing on Morrisson for Keane to see how he plays with Doyle I'd also like to see Joey O'Brien getting half an hour or so in central midfield along side Stephen Reid.

OwlsFan
17/05/2006, 4:42 PM
I also think Keane is being excused from this game and McGeady is possibly injured.

NeilMcD
17/05/2006, 4:47 PM
Is Mc Geady not playing with the U21s

eirebhoy
17/05/2006, 4:57 PM
Yeah, McGeady's playing with the U21s tomorrow and then joining up with the senior squad.

Stuttgart88
22/05/2006, 11:39 AM
With all the withdrawals I'm not sure what we're better off doing but I think I'd try:

Given

Finnan - Dunne - Breen - Harte

Lawrence - S. Reid. - O'Shea- Duff

Keane - Doyle

RHM: We have both Lawrence & McGeady in the squad & we need to see far more of both before the qualifiers start. I honestly think that with Carr back in the reckoning, Finnan RB and Carr RHM may be a far better use of this pair than the way Kerr used them. Finnan is more sound at defending & Carr is far more dynamic going forward. I really am surprised that this has never been tried to date.

With Andy O'Brien & Paddy McCarthy unavailable, we're very short CB cover but I'd resist the temptation to put O'Shea there. This is another important chance to look at O'Shea's claims to be a holding midfielder. His club career has been affected by being seen as a utility man & if Stan is convinced that midfield is where he'll be of most use then he's got to stick by his guns. If by the time the Holland game has gone by, O'Shea looks out of his depth then the likes of Kav or Miller, or maybe Andy Reid, may have to step in for Germany. Presumably Stan will legislate for this & use his substitutions to view the alternatives. By default, Breen to play at CB.

Left back is between Harte & Kilbane. Harte has played well in his last couple of games but I'd like to see Kilbane tried again at some stage.

I'm looking forward to this. I always find it exciting under a new manager to see who he'll play. Under Kerr it was always pretty predictable, even in friendlies.

wws
22/05/2006, 11:47 AM
Given

Finnan - Dunne - Breen - Harte

Lawrence - S. Reid. - Gamble- Duff

Byrne - Doyle
=================================

if staunton doesnt throw Gamble and Byrne on from the start than he's just wasting our time with his PR nonsense
friendlies are rubbish and a total waste of time
you cant learn a thing if a game isnt at competitive pace - the whole picture is false

OwlsFan
22/05/2006, 12:05 PM
Covered elsewhere:

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=35632&page=2

pineapple stu
22/05/2006, 12:26 PM
if staunton doesnt throw Gamble and Byrne on from the start than he's just wasting our time with his PR nonsense
Eh, that's nonsense. Others will get called up but not get a chance to play.

Was the squad reduced at all from the training camp to the match squad? Thought it was 29 for training and 23 for the match or something.

Edit - mods, feel free to merge threads with the one linked.

Stuttgart88
22/05/2006, 12:55 PM
Edit - mods, feel free to merge threads with the one linked.yep, my error, apologies!

Ash
22/05/2006, 1:28 PM
from www.fai.ie

Paddy Kenny, Joey O Brien and Alan Quinn won’t be involved in Wednesday’s
game as their injuries won’t have cleared up in time. They join Andy O Brien
on the injured list.

Damien Duff sat out Sunday’s intensive session because of a sinus complaint
but Staunton is confident the Chelsea star will feature against Chile.

wws
22/05/2006, 1:36 PM
Eh, that's nonsense. Others will get called up but not get a chance to play.

just stirring up a debate

It lends credance to those of us who suspect it was a political tokenist gesture rather than a serious footballing call up. If they're that good lets see than.

pineapple stu
22/05/2006, 3:25 PM
just stirring up a debate
And I'm debating it with you. ;)

(Though some may say you're not stirring the debate exactly...)

They've been called up to the squad and should be given a fair chance like the others. Starting them because they're eL players isn't a fair chance.

cheifo
22/05/2006, 4:07 PM
Personally I think Kavavagh is too old at 32 to be planning for the future with.

eirebhoy
22/05/2006, 5:12 PM
Personally I think Kavavagh is too old at 32 to be planning for the future with.
With the role he'd have for Ireland I think he could play it for the Euro qualifiers. He's the best Irish player in his position atm in my opinion and I think he'd be a great partner for Reid. It's all well and good planning for the future but there's no point in risking qualifying for the next European Championships by playing a weaker player in that position. Kav is over 2 years younger than Roy Keane and doesn't seem to have any injury problems.

Paddy Garcia
22/05/2006, 5:42 PM

..hopefully Staunton won't care about wasting your time & will focus on what is the best preparation for the qualifiers.

cheifo
22/05/2006, 5:44 PM
I take your point EB but he has not exactly set the world alight in an Ireland jersey so far but yes he seems to have a great attitude and we dont have many other options.I think I would still go for same midfield that played against Sweden.

eirebhoy
22/05/2006, 5:52 PM
I take your point EB but he has not exactly set the world alight in an Ireland jersey so far but yes he seems to have a great attitude and we dont have many other options.I think I would still go for same midfield that played against Sweden.
Do you really see John O'Shea setting the world alight any time soon? :) If O'Shea gets through a game doing the basics and not making a mistake it's a great game for him. At the moment Kavanagh is a couple of levels above O'Shea when it comes to playing the holding role.

I just don't see the point in playing O'Shea ahead of Kavanagh. Kavanagh can do everything O'Shea can except he does it better.

Stuttgart88
23/05/2006, 9:35 AM
Emmet Malone summarised Kavanagh's abilities well in a recent "state of the union" type article in the Irish Times. Rougly speakling he said he was a very accomplished footballer but he struggled to turn the tide in each of Wigan's games against the top 4 or 5 sides this season, suggesting he's up to it at a certain level (probably mid-Premiership) but no higher.

I must admit I'm in two minds about him now, having previously been a strong advocate. I think he should have played against Switzerland but that said, despite an excellent start in Cyprus where he dictated everything, he was simply swamped for the last 80 minutes. Maybe having Steven Reid's mobility to complement his composed use of the ball would help though. Kavanagh is a far better user of the ball than O'Shea and like any natural central midfielder is always aware of his options and protects the ball well. Taking and giving simple passes is a very under-appreciated ability, especially if those passes ultimately "add value" by releasing players in good positions.

I think we're going to have to arrive at our optimal central midfield combo by iteration DURING the next campaign. Two more friendlies may not be enough.

Question: can Liam Lawrence also play centrally?

drummerboy
23/05/2006, 11:08 AM
Never really thought Kavanagh was more than a decent championship player. He is too slow and not mobile enough for international football.

eirebhoy
23/05/2006, 11:29 AM
Never really thought Kavanagh was more than a decent championship player. He is too slow and not mobile enough for international football.
I don't agree with that at all. It depends what role he plays. Sometimes he can be a real workhorse, other times he could be sitting there doing a Neil Lennon type job.

Against Leeds he was up and down the pitch all day and played 120 minutes. If Wigan had the ball he'd regularly be up there along with the strikers, if Leeds had the ball he was regularly the furthest player back harassing them. :) Stuttgart's point is very valid but maybe he's just told to sit tight against the likes of Arsenal. He actually played very well against Arsenal in the Carling cup match. Here's a clip I had a while:
http://media.putfile.com/kav-cross

It shows how much of a leader and how much he's looked up to even without the captains armband. We need that type of leadership and if it's a choice between him and O'Shea, it isn't really a choice imo. :)

He definitely does play better against the weaker teams. Against China he was like a man in with a bunch of kids. ;)

Ash
23/05/2006, 11:51 AM
Morrison and Lee out injured accordung to eleven-a-side.com

from www.fai.ie

Senior International Manager, Stephen Staunton has announced the
Republic of Ireland team to face Chile at Lansdowne Road tomorrow,
Kick-off 7.30 pm.

Republic of Ireland Team
Shay Given (Newcastle United)
Stephen Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur)
Gary Breen (Unatttached)
Richard Dunne (Manchester City)
Kevin Kilbane (Everton)
Steve Finnan (Liverpool)
John O’Shea (Manchester United)
Steven Reid (Blackburn Rovers)
Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur)
Damien Duff (Chelsea)
Kevin Doyle (Reading)

fergalr
23/05/2006, 12:21 PM
Gary Breen (Unatttached)
and the point of giving him another cap is ..... ?

bawn79
23/05/2006, 12:26 PM
Why play Finnan right midfield, if he plays there in a qualifier we havent go a hope
O'Shea centre mid, kavangh is the better player
and Gary Breen, career for ireland is over.
pointless....
Should be Lawrence or McGeady right side
Kavanagh, centre
Called a younger central defender in.

Ash
23/05/2006, 12:31 PM
and the point of giving him another cap is ..... ?

Putting him in the shop window for another club to have a look

tetsujin1979
23/05/2006, 12:33 PM
Breen must be setting some kind of record for appearances at senior level while not at a club? 4 games at the World Cup and now another?