PDA

View Full Version : Bohs move?

CharlesThompson
04/05/2006, 12:52 AM
As independents (and non independents?), on the basis of the information on the other thread concerning the deal on the table for Bohs to move, would you take the deal or would you not take the deal?

(Apologies, I don't know how to poll on this site)

hoopy
04/05/2006, 6:02 AM
I think they would be mad not to but some of their members may not want out've Phibsboro for pure convenience so that may be a stumbling block. It's surely a win win scenario for them if they do move

Macy
04/05/2006, 7:40 AM
It's a no brainer. Although Bohs should consider attempting to get a club house/pub in Phibsboro, to keep the connection with the area as well as a source of income.

Ronnie
04/05/2006, 9:50 AM
100% yes.

Block G Raptor
04/05/2006, 9:53 AM
Grab it with both hands before it's too late

Dodge
04/05/2006, 10:00 AM
Looking here (http://gypsiesweb.proboards48.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=print&thread=1146490773), the no camp makes some great points. I live in Clondalkin and there is no way you could get to it by getting off at liffey valley. Talking to the few Bozos I know, I reckon it'll be voted through though. The board played the Ollie card very well. This should then put Shels in pole position for tallaght which is obviously good news for us

monutdfc
04/05/2006, 10:10 AM
(From a purely selfish point of view, I live 20 minutes walk from Dalymount so I'd hate to see them leave, it's handy on a Friday evening. But that's irrelevent.)

It will be a very interesting experiment! For years people have been saying that poor facilities are what keep punters from attending games in this country, pointing to greyhound racing as what happens when facilities are improved. Is this true? Watch the €80M experiment and judge for yourself!
Is it a case of build it and they will come? Or is it a case of they don't fill the Jodi on an average Friday so things why will things change now?

The access issue is a big one. The traffic in that whole area is a nightmare.

Thirdly, the rest of the league should be afraid, very afraid. Imagine what Bohs could do with €26M cash to spend. Sign a couple of big names that would attract punters to fill their new stadium every week, Champions League groupd stages, Rosenborg mark II? (Though football clubs in this country have proved not very good at spending windfalls wisely).

In conclusion, having weighed the issues up: yes, go for it, but sort ot the access issue as a priority.

BohDiddley
04/05/2006, 10:28 AM
The board played the Ollie card very well.
Quite.

Ronnie
04/05/2006, 10:56 AM
Dodge, read some of the posts on that, the main one is the elephant in the living room - players creaming it. A healthy club would not even consider the move, but theres no such thing as a healthy club at the top level, and when restraint is shown, ala Cork, its spun as lack of ambition! But that's unlikely to change, so if you got it flaunt it, such as Drogheda, or if you can get it grab it = Bohez!

pete
04/05/2006, 11:24 AM
I am not 100% sure of all the details & don't know where that stadium to be located but Bohs should definitely move from Dalymount if the deal is right for them. Castleknock is close to Blanchardstown/Clonee etc... which has massive population. Phibsboro is handy access but the land is too valuable. Tradition is great but can't pay the bills...

Dodge
04/05/2006, 11:40 AM
But its not near anything pete, thats the point. Should really check it out before you post your opnion on it.

Schumi
04/05/2006, 11:53 AM
How exactly would you get to this new stadium? From what I've heard, there's no nearby access from the M50 as it's effectively beside the toll bridge. From the Southside would you have to go over the toll bridge and get off at the Blanchardstown exit or go through Lucan? Either way sounds very messy, especially on a Friday evening. Are there any bus routes nearby?

ifk101
04/05/2006, 11:56 AM
Surely any planning permission for the site would need to address (the building of) access roads. Seems to be a lot of facts and issues that only the Bohs members and the developer know about so giving an opinion on the new stadium seems pointless without knowing the ins and outs of the deal.

Dodge
04/05/2006, 12:01 PM
true ifk101, but this is a talking shop so anything can be discussed. Its not like we have any say

wws
04/05/2006, 12:10 PM
not very up to date on bohs proposals but according to a rep from their board last night on newstalk 106 (gerry somebody) he said the vote was to grant power to the board of bohs to negotiate any land deal over 1 million euro

so this ties neatly into the unholy alliance of Government/ John Delaney' s plans

I just think there closing off all the remaining obstacles to their grand vision of ground sahring

which is opposed by vast numbers of the effected supportes in these clubs

A face
04/05/2006, 12:31 PM
There was a shack by the coast near Bray i think went for €150,000 recently, i know that is hand picking on instance but i really find it hard to believe that that is the best deal going for Bohs. Have they looked at developers overseas? Time is that much of a pressure is it?

I'm not voting for a few reasons, i dont know all the info is the main one.

Also it seems that quite a few members dont know the full picture and/or at least the impact of their vote (relax now, remember i'm not a member and thats what it looks like) It seems there are still doubts about where it is and the knock on effects.

Before anyone puts in their vote, ALL information should be disseminated fully first ..... that has to happen.

For the record, i'm all for striking when the iron is hot, if there is a good deal to be had then jump both feet as fast as you can. But that is the problem, its not a black white situation .... and its a tough choice to be honest. Thats why i'd be worried about looking at all the options. There are alot of good points to be made. If it were me i'd probably have done some sort of quantitative assessment because its a tough choice and that would nearly make up my mind for me.

Whether or which, if the choice is to move then it'll be long lasting one ..... really long, and it will have an effect on Irish football aswell as Bohs. I think no one would begrudge Bohs making a step forward just as long as its the right step.

holidaysong
04/05/2006, 2:26 PM
would you take the deal or would you not take the deal?

Noel Edmonds puts it far better... No Deal I say. You have got to remain in the community you belong.

Block G Raptor
04/05/2006, 2:37 PM
Noel Edmonds puts it far better... No Deal I say. You have got to remain in the community you belong.
Sentamental to say the least. Bohs already have as many supporters in blanch/Castleknock as they have in cabra/phibsboro. ffs as the crow flies the new stadium is only a couple of miles up the road anyway

Ronnie
04/05/2006, 2:53 PM
I cannot see the financial benefits of staying - it strikes me its like the bachelor farmers living in poverty but owning land worth a fortune, If Dalymount is worth 50m or 100m its completeld irrelevant unless it is sold.

Marked Man
04/05/2006, 2:59 PM
ffs as the crow flies the new stadium is only a couple of miles up the road anyway

You need more than crows at the games though.

A face
04/05/2006, 3:55 PM
I cannot see the financial benefits of staying - it strikes me its like the bachelor farmers living in poverty but owning land worth a fortune, If Dalymount is worth 50m or 100m its completeld irrelevant unless it is sold.

Exactly, thats why the move is good and probably necessary (from what the members are saying) and sooner rather than later ...... BUT that did not, doesn't and will never justify moving to the wrong place.

You cannot present that as part of the argument because if you do then you'll definitely confuse and over complicate the whole process. It is only a given, an assumption .... it should never be part of the decision, just a component of the choices.

Members should be looking to make the decision process as easy as possible. Its hard enough without making it harder.

bigmac
04/05/2006, 4:27 PM
i agree that the M50 is not the ideal location for a stadium, but are there really that many alternatives? If the new site could include training pitches and good academy style facilities, then perhaps it would be worth sacrificing some of the ideal location. Remember as well that the move will be cushioned by a nice lump sum in cash that could swing the deal.

pete
04/05/2006, 5:18 PM
IMO Bohs should vote amoung their members with just 1 question - Should be negotiate a move away from Dalymount. Assuming that is Yes then some sort of group/committee should negotiate with prospective purchasers of Dalymount. The committee could then bring the various proposals plus recommendation to the members...

Is there a link to map of proposed new stadium?

If Bohs sold Dalymount for cash would they be able to convince a local authority to rezone land for sports use therefore getting soem cheap land to build on themselves?

Dodge
04/05/2006, 5:29 PM
Few links on the BOhs board pete. If you know the M50. its right beside the toll bridge.

Bald Student
04/05/2006, 6:22 PM
Is there a link to map of proposed new stadium?It's the field to the left of the toll bridge here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.365138,-6.382027&spn=0.007029,0.017381&t=h&om=1

pete
05/05/2006, 10:31 AM
Shocking location. Bohs would surely be able to find better site themselves as hard to imagine worse location. I think know where that road under the M50 is & very easy to get lost out there. Been a while since been out that way but not much development in that area from what i can remember.

Dodge
05/05/2006, 11:45 AM
I'm going to a wedding in that hotel tomorrow and have been up there this week. There is NOTHING around it (within 20 minutes walk) bar 4/5 bungalows

Dricky
05/05/2006, 11:58 AM
The plan for the road network out in Carpenterstown will link the arrea to the Carpenterstown roads, it will be a lot closer when that network is linked up. If you take a trip out now it seems miles from anything but thats not for long.

pete
05/05/2006, 12:06 PM
I'm going to a wedding in that hotel tomorrow and have been up there this week. There is NOTHING around it (within 20 minutes walk) bar 4/5 bungalows

I think the sole reason that area not developed more (Castleknock commands decent prices) is that the access is very poor locked in between the Liffey & the M50. Most roads out that way are almost country lanes.

CollegeTillIDie
06/05/2006, 10:21 AM
A face is right
And Cork City fans who have supported the club for more than 5 minutes should know . I visited Bishopstown on one occasion during the 1995/96 season for a game between Cork City and UCD. I took an afternoon off work and arrived in Cork and on my way to the ground got stuck in a traffic jam outside a shopping centre on the approaches to Bishopstown. By the time I got parked on a wet miserable night , and into the ground I had missed the first ten minutes of the game.

Unless access issues are addressed , similar vistas await fans visiting Dalymount II at the M50 Toll plaza field ( on your left heading south on the M50). P.S. Bohs should approach National Toll Roads to sponsor the ground. NTR Park anyone? :D

Dodge
06/05/2006, 11:39 AM
Seriously, I was a t agame in Cork with less than 500 fans there and half of them were Pats fans (and Cork were relatively succesful then)

pete
06/05/2006, 11:48 AM
Bishopstown was just ouside the exisiting suburbs at that time but not the ring road & exit goes staright past with dog track next to it.

The Bohs Castleknock problem is that it is locked in between the M50, river liffey & Phoenix Park making future access from beyond a few miles difficult.

crc
06/05/2006, 3:58 PM
How far is it from Coolmine Station? I tried to measure it on a map and its about 1km exactly. The lesson from Bishopstown is that it could have been the right location, it was just built 7 or 8 years too early. If it went ahead now there would be very few better locations in Cork city as it is rights next to the Ballincollig bypass and the South Ring Road. The Maynooth rail line will eventually be electrified and be converted to DART. The road network would need to be improved, but being next to a commuter rail station could be a real asset, especially if the service is going to be improved in the future. And of course Bohs would be able to afford to bide their time for a few years, as Cork City weren't able to do.

For comparison purposes I also measured:
Richmond Park is 500m from the Luas,
Turner's Cross is 900m from the Blackash P&R,
Dalymount 1km from Drumcondra Station,
Belfield 2km from Booterstown,
Tolka 700m from Drumcondra Station,
Brandywell 1,100m from Derry city centre (The Diamond)
Tallaght Stadium will be 400m from The Square Luas stop.

thejollyrodger
06/05/2006, 7:41 PM
its a crap location lads

sonofstan
06/05/2006, 7:56 PM
on your left heading south on the M50). P.S. Bohs should approach National Toll Roads to sponsor the ground. NTR Park anyone? :D

on your left heading NORTH - unless you southsiders drive continental, like

A face
07/05/2006, 1:01 AM
I visited Bishopstown on one occasion during the 1995/96 season for a game between Cork City and UCD. I took an afternoon off work and arrived in Cork and on my way to the ground got stuck in a traffic jam outside a shopping centre on the approaches to Bishopstown. By the time I got parked on a wet miserable night , and into the ground I had missed the first ten minutes of the game.

That is exactly what i'm on about .... and bear in mind crc's post just above with the distances .... the bus stop that was nearest the ground at the time was not a million miles away by any means BUT people just wouldn't go there. Agreed there were a number of factors and yeah City didn't have the money to keep things afloat at the time but it is essentially the same problem. Will people head into rush hour traffic or journey a few miles to see a game or will the just stay at home?

There are a few members on here .... maybe you could raise this and try and address it ...... if it is over looked and ignored then it'll be a problem. Basically you will be wanting people who have been going to Dayler for years to change a habit of a lifetime ... its alright for the core support BUT its not them you are worried about.