03/05/2006, 11:29 AM
Christ who ate all the pies like!

i thought those days were gone................ :eek:

Raheny Red
03/05/2006, 1:01 PM
Has anyone got any pics of him :confused:

A face
03/05/2006, 1:22 PM
Lads, give him a break. He got enough doing last night to be fair. At least he knows now.

wws
03/05/2006, 1:27 PM
how did he play though?

he's fat, he's round but he can actually play - better than most

A face
03/05/2006, 1:34 PM
how did he play though?

he's fat, he's round but he can actually play - better than most

He had a though job last night to be fair.

Krstic
03/05/2006, 1:37 PM
When Sligo played at the brandywell in the League this season, he was their best player. Shockingly over weight for a Senior Footballer, but it doesn't say much for the rest of the Sligo team when this guy out performs them.

joema
03/05/2006, 1:43 PM
Hes a class player - scored a cracker for Monaghan against Kilkenny City last year. He was with Forrest with Andy Reid - they were told to get trimmer or go home - Reid worked hard and is now an Irish international and a Premiership player. Foy went the other way - probobly has a bad attitude

Krstic
03/05/2006, 1:47 PM
I'd say Andy Reid wouldn't be that much lighter than Foy:eek:

monutdfc
03/05/2006, 1:49 PM
Keith Foy was the great white hope of Irish football a few years ago. Played for Ireland at all underage levels, was in Kerr's U-16 Euro-winning sides scoring in the final, broke into the Nottingham Forest first team and was a regular. Then he got injured, lost a lot of fitness and struggled badly with his weight. He was on stand-by for Ian Harte before the last World Cup when Harte had an injury scare.
Forest lost patience with his fitness/weight problems and released him. He went to Doncaster Rovers where he won promotion, but his fitness problems persisted and he came home. Played for St Pats but they let him go and Dublin City picked him up when they were promoted. Roddy let him go when he bombed out practically the whole squad when he took over from Gill. He signed for us and our Player of the Year last season. Technically one of the most gifted players in the league. Scored 2 wonder-goals for us last season - chipped the Kildare 'keeper from the half-way line and scored a volley from a corner kick in Galway. Obviously, he still struggles with his weight he can be caught out for speed, but rarely.

monutdfc
03/05/2006, 1:52 PM
Choose Season 2005 here and you can get a profile:
http://www.monaghanunited.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=49

Fivesilver
03/05/2006, 2:04 PM
As far as I know, we got him on a free from Monaghan.
From what I've seen this season, he's on the way back. His approach to the game is better, he's playing well, now if he could only lose at least a stone . . .
I don't know what Connor is doing for him in terms of lifestyle and a personal fitness regimen. I reckon, though, that by the end of the season, he could turn out to be the biggest bargain anyone's got hold of this year. He had the potential to go places like the likes of the aforementioned Reid or Liam Miller, but fcuked it up. He now has a chance to give himself some sort of atonement - it's too late to think about the big time again, but compared to how he was, if he keeps going the way he is, and gets back in shape, there will be few better players in the league.
You can be totally blinkered, and say 'look at the big fat b@stard, he must be useless', or you can actually watch him play - against Cork, how many times was he beaten? Several times players tried to push it by him and chase, but his reading of the game is excellent.
As I say, by November a lot of teams could be sitting up and taking notice - from his start to the season, some already are.

razor
03/05/2006, 2:06 PM
Looked to have a nice left foot but was struggling for pace against Roy in the 1st half.

monutdfc
03/05/2006, 2:08 PM
As far as I know, we got him on a free from Monaghan.
Of course you got him on a free from Monaghan - we don't do contracts longer than a season (like most First Division clubs I'll wager).

pete
03/05/2006, 2:15 PM
HHe was with Forrest with Andy Reid - they were told to get trimmer or go home...

Slimfast Buddies! :D

Red4Eva
03/05/2006, 3:28 PM
it doesn't say much for the rest of the Sligo team when this guy out performs them.

jeez we're not doing that bad are we

joema
03/05/2006, 4:10 PM
Looked to have a nice left foot but was struggling for pace against Roy in the 1st half.

In fairness, Roy O Donovan is probobly the fastest player in the league

Breifne
03/05/2006, 4:25 PM
Keith Foy was the great white hope of Irish football a few years ago. Played for Ireland at all underage levels, was in Kerr's U-16 Euro-winning sides scoring in the final,

Dublin City picked him up when they were promoted. Roddy let him go when he bombed out practically the whole squad when he took over from Gill.

The only player let go that bugs me, the sweetest left foot i've seen in the league, was talking to him before the game between City and Sligo in Dalymount few weeks ago, he was in good form, and looked like he was enjoying his football, you might remember he almost single handedly carved open a defence to set a team mate up for a goal in a 1-0 win recently, (can't remember the opposition).

He is a great player, and for such a big lad doesn't lack much. Unfortunately his crutch is his weight, and i don't think he will ever sort that out, if the lure of Nottingham Forest or Ireland U-21 or senior can't sort it out, i don't think any team in this league will (in its current guise).

If he could sort that out, i reckon he would make any squad in the league on the left hand side of midfield, i'd take him over Bobby Ryan, JP Kelly, Morrison, Killian Brennan any time. Class act.

OneRedArmy
03/05/2006, 5:06 PM
The skillful player with the weight problem, right up there with the "big man with the good feet" in footballing cliches.

Sounds like a monumental waste of talent to me.

As was said above, he was one of Sligo's better players in the Brandywell.

But on a plus point, gives hope to all us pie-munchers with a sweet left foot that the dream isn't over :D

gustavo
03/05/2006, 7:05 PM
http://www.beamsystems.ie/photos/keithfoy-rovers.jpg
thats him playing for dublin city

Risteard
03/05/2006, 8:51 PM
Thought he was a disgrace when he ran out at the start but tbf Roy didn't get too much joy out of him.

Rovers1
03/05/2006, 9:02 PM
in fairness i think keith,at the top of his game could waltz into any team in the league,peach of a left foot,rarely beaten,great strenght,great shot,can cross the ball.....when he loses his excess weight hell be such an addition...as if he hasnt been already..he got player of the month too.

Troy.McClure
03/05/2006, 9:28 PM
He was with Forrest with Andy Reid - they were told to get trimmer or go home - Reid worked hard and is now an Irish international and a Premiership player. Foy went the other way - probobly has a bad attitude

Ha ha! I was waiting for the sarcasim to appear but it didnt come. Thats one of the funniest posts Ive seen in ages :D

EnDai
03/05/2006, 9:37 PM
Swap for Crawley?! :D Please!!

Fivesilver
03/05/2006, 10:13 PM

More recent:
Foy pic (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24549684@N00/128788367/in/pool-sligorovers/)

Raheny Red
03/05/2006, 10:15 PM
Cheers fot that - I use the term lightly :p

Jeebus he is a fat basket, just a tad bigger that the Barrel, though he has lost weight in fairness to be. Also that bloke with the stains, Alan Reilly - now there's a fat basket :D

1 9 2 8
03/05/2006, 11:13 PM
Can't wait till he scores against ye all :eek:

The Stars
04/05/2006, 9:21 AM
Had my doubts about him when i first saw him play but after his first game i was a fan.
Can cut through a defence with ease and is rarely done for pace as he just gets in the way of the ball.Everybody in Sligo was wondering could we ever replace Kupano Low but in Foy we have found an even better replacment

Rory H
04/05/2006, 10:49 AM
Thought he was a disgrace when he ran out at the start but tbf Roy didn't get too much joy out of him.

a disgrace??thats a bit harsh

he is actually quite fit and lost a bit of weight...he is training every day and the weight will come off......

he got a lot of stick from the bohs fans and he showed them when he set up the winner and kept the mighty vinny arkins out....:)

The Stars
05/05/2006, 11:11 AM
gets stick off every away support that comes to the showground but always silences them...........

Red4Eva
05/05/2006, 4:06 PM
i always try to notice whether he's dropped a few pounds but it's hard to tell when u see him every week but i rememeber in our 1st pre-season v st.catherine's my jaw dropped when i seen this fat tub of sh*te lumbering around the pitch but he's defo not as bad as he was and has been our player of the seaon thus far IMO and he supposed to work incredibly hard in training too

sligoman
05/05/2006, 10:28 PM
Lads, it's great ye all take an interest in our players:D. Maybe Foyzer is so big so ye'll all notice him and start talking about him, which ye have:p.

Seriously though, Foy has been one of our top players this season. When I first saw him in a pre-season game I thought he was gonna be useless but come the start of the season he lost weight. Obviously he's still overweight, and really theirs no excuse to be that size if you're a full time professional footballer, but to be fair to Foy, he has pace and is a very strong tackler and set piece taker, those of you who saw the highlights of our match with Shels, you'll see he walloped the bar with a great shot from outside the box.

Another advantage, none of ye can knock him off the ball:p.

feo123
05/05/2006, 11:15 PM
he's been our best player! he's far too fat....but he's not our slowest player! ive seen him outpace a few wingers in his time so far this season aswell! get off his back lads!

CollegeTillIDie
06/05/2006, 12:07 PM
A bit of a throwback is Keith Foy. Reminds one of Marc Kenny or for a few older fans Johnny Reynor, talented players whose penchant for ball skills was only bettered by their penchant for piling on the pounds.

Anto McC
06/05/2006, 10:29 PM
I was at the game today and he was easily Sligos best player,he didnt do too bad against Shels either,if he drops a few more pounds he is a ideal left full for Shels!

sligoman
07/05/2006, 7:10 PM
if he drops a few more pounds he is a ideal left full for Shels!For Sligo Rovers you mean;).

SligoBrewer
04/06/2006, 6:12 PM
snidy shels fans..tut tut tut

The Stars
04/06/2006, 6:32 PM
I think Foy is proving he is one of the best left backs in the country,I wouldnt swap him for anyone.
Time for everyone to eat humble pie i think.
3 goals this season,not bad.

Poor Student
04/06/2006, 6:50 PM
Sligo played UCD pretty soon after this came up and I soon knew what all the fuss was about. The lad is pretty out of shape. I must say, there's few in the eL who have such a great touch though, he even put in a great cross on his wrong foot after switching over to the right side by rolling the ball around behind him. A real pity he isn't in shape.

monutdfc
05/06/2006, 9:32 AM
I don't think anyone has to eat humble pie - nobody said he was not a very good player, which he is, just that he is overweight for a professional footballer, which he is.
And this notion that he is proving himself this season, as if Sligo have just 'discovered' him, is a bit annoying. He was on standby for Ian Harte before the last World Cup.

The Stars
05/06/2006, 9:54 AM
i mean that although he is over weight,he is proving he is still one of the best in the League.
Im well aware Sligo didnt just discover him,even when he was with Mons you could see what a great player he is and most of the league knew about him.

Red&White Rover
05/06/2006, 6:20 PM
on saturday he potentially got us all 3 points when he headed a sshot off the line that had beaten john o' hara!! good player, and i mean if you saw him, pelting at ya when you had the ball, would you keep going??? Christ no!!!

dublinred
06/06/2006, 8:26 AM
Hes a class player - scored a cracker for Monaghan against Kilkenny City last year. He was with Forrest with Andy Reid - they were told to get trimmer or go home - Reid worked hard and is now an Irish international and a Premiership player. Foy went the other way - probobly has a bad attitude

Seen both play recently and Foy is now the slimmer and fitter of the 2 of them , reckon Andy Reid ate a box of Choc Ices at the training camp in Portugal.

The Stars
06/06/2006, 10:05 AM
Could have been a Senior International,if only. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/nottm_forest/2000154.stm)

Pablo
07/06/2006, 9:40 AM
watched him take the peno on EL weekly last night! the bulb off David Brent!

roll out the barrel!

dublinred
07/06/2006, 9:51 AM

roll out the barrel!

Was a class peno though, little dummy to send the keeper the wrong way.

Magicme
07/06/2006, 10:36 AM

roll out the barrel!

Your just jealous that despite the fact that he is overweight he is still a fantastic footballer and is enjoying a nice life getting well paid and looked after playing the game he loves. It may not be the Premiership or La Liga but Foyzer has a good life in the Premier Divsion now and its no more than he deserves.....who knows he may be happier in Sligo than he was at Forest or any other "big" club.

Pablo
07/06/2006, 11:14 AM
Your just jealous that despite the fact that he is overweight he is still a fantastic footballer and is enjoying a nice life getting well paid and looked after playing the game he loves. It may not be the Premiership or La Liga but Foyzer has a good life in the Premier Divsion now and its no more than he deserves.....who knows he may be happier in Sligo than he was at Forest or any other "big" club.

:D :D

sure i am ;)

Magicme
07/06/2006, 11:59 AM
Well I am.....imagine getting paid to do what you love....:D

Oh I just got my contract renewed and pay rise today so am a happy little bunny......now if only my job was football or music related I would be laughing!

Raheny Red
07/06/2006, 12:19 PM
Well I am.....imagine getting paid to do what you love....:D

That's why I'm a male jigalo :P

Rory H
07/06/2006, 2:01 PM
he sends the keeper the wrong way every time.....genius