PDA

View Full Version : Darren Kelly

Speranza
03/05/2006, 11:05 AM
News reports are now suggesting Darren is coming home. Any Portadown or Il fans hear anything?

He does have a bit of a history of playing clubs off against each other for more money so until I see official confirmation I won't be taking it as certain - only last week he was definitly off to Stockport.

One thing that cannot be doubted however is Kelly's talent, he is one of the best defenders in Ireland but I don't think he'll get a place before Oman who has been superb and Pizza won't be dropped as he is captain.

Dassa
03/05/2006, 7:17 PM
hopefully a move to FT football a future NI squad player.

Speranza
03/05/2006, 11:15 PM
Defo. He is god enough to push for a place in the NI team. We got 100,000 for him a few years back and now we could be getting him back for free. That's some business.

paudie
04/05/2006, 9:41 AM
He is god enough to push for a place in the NI team.

I know he's a good player but that's some claim to make:D

Speranza
04/05/2006, 1:26 PM
That's how they make us up here. Cut from the Lord himself!

Risteard
05/05/2006, 12:36 AM
We got 100,000 for him a few years back.

£100,000
:eek:
Off who?

aberharp
05/05/2006, 10:57 AM
carlisle united

Speranza
05/05/2006, 2:59 PM
News story about Carlisle signing him......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/2207613.stm

glentoranfan
06/05/2006, 8:29 PM
Darren Kelly: the most over rated player in the Irish League. Everybody makes such a fuss about him but everytime I saw him against us, he was very average. I assumed it was a bad game or something, but from what I have read/heard apparently not.

Aaron
08/05/2006, 9:27 AM
Darren Kelly: the most over rated player in the Irish League. Everybody makes such a fuss about him but everytime I saw him against us, he was very average. I assumed it was a bad game or something, but from what I have read/heard apparently not.

Thats how much part-time football can drag you down. Either that or you have very high expectations of your teams.

Lux Interior
13/05/2006, 1:33 AM
Thats how much part-time football can drag you down. Either that or you have very high expectations of your teams.

No, he doesn't.

You play high ball to Kelly, he'll head 'em back all day. You run at him, with pace and on the floor, he'll fold like a Japanese Orgami Convention.

Deffo a player with an over-inflated opinion of his ability.

Speranza
15/05/2006, 3:38 PM
If that is the case why were Linfield, Drogheda and Stockport interested in him? His own manager said he was the best centre-half in the Irish League despite his departure.

glentoranfan
15/05/2006, 6:35 PM
If that is the case why were Linfield, Drogheda and Stockport interested in him? His own manager said he was the best centre-half in the Irish League despite his departure.
Well, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him back before long from across the water. I don't know what it is with this guy. Everybody seems to rate him and say he's great - even I was convinced at one point, but recently people have just saw he is not all he is made out to be.:confused:

Speranza
15/05/2006, 7:14 PM
He isn't going across the water. He is signing for us.

glentoranfan
15/05/2006, 8:22 PM
He isn't going across the water. He is signing for us.
Oh sorry. The last I read on him he was interested in salvaging a proffessional career possibly across the water although there was some interest in Derry City. In that case, I am not sure you have signed such a great player. Please tell us how you rate him. I am interested to see, but based on his IL performances, there is a lot to be desired.

Speranza
15/05/2006, 9:21 PM
Well he will be hard pressed to get a place at the minute as you couldn't say a bad word about our centre-halves this season. Will be interesting to see how he has change and if he can cope with the standard of the LoI which has improved a lot since he left.

pól-dcfc
18/05/2006, 1:12 PM
Just signed this minute for us.

Roo69
18/05/2006, 3:02 PM
Former Portadown captain Darren Kelly has rejoined Derry City but will not be able to play until the Eircom League transfer window opens on 1 July.
The central defender turned down the offer of a new deal with the Ports as well as the chance to move to League Two side Stockport County.

"I had offers from England and Scotland but there is nowhere I would rather be than my home town club," said Kelly.

"I am excited about getting started and fighting for a place in the team."

Kelly joined Portadown in August 2004 after being released by Carlisle United.

His move to the Brandywell means he will be back in full-time football after being part-time with the Ports in the Irish League.

"I have six weeks before I am able to play so it is all about working hard in training," added Kelly.

"Derry are going well and it is a big challenge, going for the league and things like that."

From www.bbc.co.uk

Speranza
19/05/2006, 11:39 AM
City - Carlisle - £100,000

Portadown - City - £0

We'll be taking that thanks very much. :)

dcfcsteve
19/05/2006, 4:12 PM
Happy days, and a great bit of business. Thank god Roddy Collins did one thing right whe he was at Carlisle....... :D

Good to see Darren openly recognising that he needs to battle for his place in the squad as well.