feo123
01/05/2006, 4:57 PM
what ye tink?

gustavo
01/05/2006, 6:33 PM
i wouldnt be surprised if we got some kind of result out of it

sligoman
01/05/2006, 6:41 PM
I'd be delighted with a point but I dont see why we cant take all three. If we win, we overtake them in the league!:).

Red4Eva
01/05/2006, 6:42 PM
if cork play anything like they did on friday i'd say we'll defo come away with something. although midfield was decent on saturday it's great that turner's back and i think he could be key just even as a super sub. be happy with a point but without georgie&o'flynn cork ain't all that great so i think we could win.

1-1 mct

A face
01/05/2006, 6:56 PM
if cork play anything like they did on friday i'd say we'll defo come away with something.

Probably right there, but cant see it happening.

although midfield was decent on saturday it's great that turner's back and i think he could be key just even as a super sub. be happy with a point but without georgie&o'flynn cork ain't all that great so i think we could win.

1-1 mct

With City not at full strength, you would have your best chance at beating us. Will ye be good enough aganist a half strength City team at the Cross with the crowd demanding a result after the last night?

sligoman
01/05/2006, 6:59 PM
without georgie&o'flynn cork ain't all that great so i think we could win.See here (http://corkcityfc.ie/forums/index.php?showtopic=10060):(.

Hopefully he'll get injured again early on so he cant cause any trouble with all his cheating.

A face
01/05/2006, 7:06 PM
Hopefully he'll get injured again early on so he cant cause any trouble with all his cheating.

How many times have City played Sligo so far this year ??

sligoman
01/05/2006, 7:09 PM
How many times have City played Sligo so far this year ??None. Are you a fan at all?:p.

Face, I think everyone who follows the EL knows well that Cork's precious Georgie is the most unsportsmanlike player in the league;).

A face
01/05/2006, 7:15 PM
Face, I think everyone who follows the EL knows well that Cork's precious Georgie is the most unsportsmanlike player in the league;).

Au contraire mon ami .... i think you'll find that its there is a section of the leagues support will say and believe things without making up their own opinion. But i fully understand that .... its far easier to side with others that having to go to the trouble of seeing for yourself. Sure how would sheep get home otherwise.

Will you be at the game Sligoman ??

sligoman
01/05/2006, 7:21 PM
Au contraire mon ami .... i think you'll find that its there is a section of the leagues support will say and believe things without making up their own opinion. But i fully understand that .... its far easier to side with others that having to go to the trouble of seeing for yourself. Sure how would sheep get home otherwise.

Will you be at the game Sligoman ??I've still seen him play on TV to make up my own mind. For the moment I'll leave my opinion of O'Callaghan as it is, until he proves me otherwise when ye come to the Showgies.

I wont be at the game, I'll be at work unfortunately.

Risteard
01/05/2006, 7:26 PM
Barstooler!:p

sligoman
01/05/2006, 7:30 PM
Barstooler!:pWell it is a bit far for a 17 year old, who doesn't drive, to travel on a Tuesday night. What about you, you coming to the Showgrounds in July?:p.

sligoman
01/05/2006, 7:36 PM
watch a bit of Racing ?The bookies?:D.

Risteard
01/05/2006, 7:41 PM
Well it is a bit far for a 17 year old, who doesn't drive, to travel on a Tuesday night. What about you, you coming to the Showgrounds in July?
Definately.
How does age come into it? :p
Thought you were much older, in fairness.

Rogue Trader, i thought you were a Galway man but anyway ya should head out around Turners Cross early. There's always a decent buzz in the Turners Cross Tavern and the Horseshoe from half five onwards.
Don't know about racing.

sligoman
01/05/2006, 7:49 PM
Burns is out:mad::

Sligo have midfielder Chris Turner back from suspension and he is likely to come straight into the side as Gary Curran (foot) didn't travel along with central defender Liam Burns(knee), both injured in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Shelbourne.

Jamie McKenzie is set to partner skipper Michael McNamara in the heart of Rovers' defence.

See here (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0501/corkcity.html).

roversforever
02/05/2006, 9:19 AM
lads i reckon sean is ready to spring a surprise on cork cos i reckon the flash is going to play some part tonight.he has travelled anyway so id say he might be on the bench.doubt if he'll start.im not optimistic for tonight...2-0 cork.

Bravo
02/05/2006, 9:48 AM
is it live on ocean?

garykelly
02/05/2006, 10:49 AM
is it live on ocean?

no dont think so. just updates as far as I know

cathalsligo
02/05/2006, 2:13 PM
Paddy Power some good odds
Rovers 7/1 to win
Keith Foy to score first and win 1-0 200/1
ht/ft cork city/draw 16/1, we always go behind

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&selectvcgrp=8429&category=SPORTS&selected_bir_index=

Fivesilver
02/05/2006, 2:43 PM
Biggest worry is the backlash - City can't be as sh1te again as they were against Pat's. They desperately need the points, and will be looking at a game at home to us as a banker. Also, it's a ground where if the home side get on top they can really get the tails up and shred you.
Having said all that, Rovers are growing in confidence, with several players making themselves very comfortable in the top flight. Tonight will be a big test of character - but get something out of this (3 points or 1 point and a comfortable performance), and we'd be well entitled to raise preseason expectations another notch.
Hopefully a good performance out of Faz when he doesn't have to listen to abuse from a bunch of pr1cks who think that's the best way to support your team.
So tonight, it's either a major coming-of-age for this team, or another reminder of the big steps still to be made, as in the Brandywell.

The Stars
02/05/2006, 5:46 PM
backed foy to score first

feo123
02/05/2006, 6:31 PM
good lad! worth a bet!

1 9 2 8
02/05/2006, 6:52 PM
Live updates here (http://corkcityfc.ie/matchday.php)

1 9 2 8
02/05/2006, 6:54 PM
08:54 PM 1-0 Goal for Cork City. Dan Murray header from a corner by Neale Fenn.

gustavo
02/05/2006, 6:59 PM
sounds awfully familiar :(

Red4Eva
02/05/2006, 7:11 PM
sounds awfully familiar :(

no burnsy on the pitch this time either. we came back after an early set back v shels so it ain't over

Red4Eva
02/05/2006, 7:29 PM
09:29 PM 2-0 Goal for City. Neale Fenn curls the ball with the outside of his boot into the net. Class goal from the edge of the box

back down to earth we go

Red4Eva
02/05/2006, 8:43 PM
sounds like we had a few chances but cork defo deserved 3 points. i'd say burnsy was sorely missed. can't expect much on a tuesday night away to the champions but we'll bounce back on saturday. hopefully it wasn't backs to the wall stuff&we actually played some football cos we're still building every week and results ain't the end of the world at this stage

red bellied
02/05/2006, 9:39 PM
Picking up points away is proving its self to be very difficult, cant see us winning to many, Bray or Waterford maybe. The managers mentality seems to be pick up points at home and one away and he is not alone in this. The league is way too defensive minded, teams set out their stalls against the likes of Cork,Shels and Derry and this even at the Showgrounds on Saturday when it looked like Rovers settled for the point in the second half. True we had not the quality Shels had on the bench, but after playing so well in the first half there was no momentum in the second period. It looked like we were the away side then trying to catch them on the break.

Fivesilver
02/05/2006, 11:10 PM
They played us off the park for most of the first half, although if McT had got a better first touch on one ball instead of getting it trapped under his foot, he would have had a clear chance to score.
We were a lot better in the second half. Partly maybe because Cork were happy with what they had, but Mansaram made a big difference - 2 wonderful crosses in the late stages. I think he and Judge have to be our starting pair up front, Mc is really struggling with the lack of time you get on the ball at this level.
It was unfortunate that we opened the game largely conceding midfield and hanging back, playing as if we were afraid of Cork. Fair enough, they're one of the best sides in the country, but you can't let them come at you.
Another matter for concern was letting in a very soft opener from a set-piece.
We're still noticeably a bit off the pace of the top sides, but we look okay for a mid-table finish. The next couple are games we really need to get maximum points from.
Also, nice of Sean and the lads to come right across the pitch at the end to thank the fans - handshakes and all.
Pictures from Turner's Cross are at:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sligorovers/pool/

The Stars
02/05/2006, 11:13 PM
After Sean saying that we worked on set peices last week I find it hard to believe that we conceeded 2 or our last 3 from set pieces.
Are we only working on scoring from them or do we practice defending aswell?

Risteard
03/05/2006, 12:31 AM
Is the black fella Mansaram or Turner?
He really brought ye to life when he came on.
Don't know where he was meant to be playing.
He was all over the fecking place.

A face
03/05/2006, 1:10 AM
We were a lot better in the second half. Partly maybe because Cork were happy with what they had, but Mansaram made a big difference - 2 wonderful crosses in the late stages.

City always do that, even when we're losing. :p
He was handy enough alright, definitely added something to your game.

It was unfortunate that we opened the game largely conceding midfield and hanging back, playing as if we were afraid of Cork. Fair enough, they're one of the best sides in the country, but you can't let them come at you.

Not quite as bad as you are making out, Sligp moved it around well when they had it although you'd probably find your whole game improve if passing was two seconds earlier, just getting caught a bit when it should be moved on.

We're still noticeably a bit off the pace of the top sides, but we look okay for a mid-table finish. The next couple are games we really need to get maximum points from.

Not doing bad at all, and to be fair lads, at least Sligo are a good side to watch which is half the battle.

Also, nice of Sean and the lads to come right across the pitch at the end to thank the fans - handshakes and all.

Fair play for fans travelling down aswell. On a rainy Tuesday to fly the flag for the club .... good stuff !! :ball:

Donegalred
03/05/2006, 7:11 PM
Heard gary played well last nite and didn't deserve to be taken off. Any truth in that

1 9 2 8
03/05/2006, 8:23 PM
Was their many Rovers supporters at the game?

razor
03/05/2006, 8:27 PM
Was their many Rovers supporters at the game?
About 7 or so

Risteard
03/05/2006, 9:02 PM
I thought there was two dozen or so.
Weren't very noisey though.
Would ye have a good crowd down for the next game at the Cross presuming its a Friday night.

Fivesilver
03/05/2006, 9:55 PM
I'm trying to count them in my head - comes to about 15 (I have problems counting much higher than that:D ).

Risteard
05/05/2006, 12:12 AM
Were not very noisey i was out of it at the game ! :)
:D :D
A refreshing change from the "we'll outsing them all night" approach.
Maybe you'll be able to take in the next match.

sligoman
05/05/2006, 9:48 PM
Also, nice of Sean and the lads to come right across the pitch at the end to thank the fans - handshakes and all.They always do that at away games!

Rory H
06/05/2006, 8:42 AM
They always do that at away games!

no they dont

The Stars
06/05/2006, 10:48 AM
ya the fcukers wouldnt even acknowledge us when we went down to Limerick last season

sligoman
06/05/2006, 4:53 PM
no they dontWell any away game I've been to they always come over to us after it, and I've been to a good few before ye start:p.

feo123
07/05/2006, 5:37 PM
they only came ova ta shake hands at the dublin city game nd dat wuz coz we went ta them!!

Rory H
07/05/2006, 6:10 PM
they applauded us at derry,,didnt get much in longford....

sure it doesnt bother me that much what they do after the game...

Fivesilver
07/05/2006, 7:41 PM
If they get 3 points they can moon the fans if they want.