PDA

View Full Version : Haughey

Fair_play_boy
01/05/2006, 5:57 PM
Last Sunday's Independent had a front page story about Charles Haughey putting his affairs in order as he has not much longer to live. I hope that he is not suffering.
Some will find this thread offensive but there is a point in posting it while the man is still alive, because many say hypocritical things about people after they have died.
My question is this: do you think Charles Haughey should have a State Funeral?
My own opinion is that even though he has been a prize boll1x in loads of ways in public life, denial of a state funeral would lower the stature of the position of Taoiseach. It is an important convention that should be separated from the deeds of the man who filled the post, so I would say let him have his state funeral.
Would a mod make this into a poll?

pete
01/05/2006, 6:11 PM
Stealing this thread for Current Affairs section :)

Do all former Taoiseach get a state funeral? If so then he should get one too. Doesn't matter what opinions people have of him.

dahamsta
01/05/2006, 9:26 PM
Guaranteed this'll be a three page thread filled with crap, almost identical to this (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054910358).

In my own words: "Where's The Grave, I'm Dying For A P*ss?"

Haughey's a scumbag and a thief, the world'll be a better place when he's feeding the worms.

Ash
02/05/2006, 9:09 AM
I agree with Pete on this one. If it's the norm to give former Taoiseach
state fuerals then CJH, being a former Taoiseach, should get one.

If not, then sling him 6 foot under in a mahogony box and let no one speak
of the cnut again.

pete
02/05/2006, 4:45 PM
I have no time for Haughey as i believe he is a crook. However it would be bad precedent to have state funerals dependent on how the future judged Taoisaigh. Afterall the was elected by some of the same people who now criticising him.

I don't believe the US treated Nixons death any different than other former Presidents?

dahamsta
02/05/2006, 4:50 PM
Ah come on pete, Nixon wasn't a crook. Sure didn't he say so!

WeAreRovers
02/05/2006, 4:56 PM
Do all former Taoiseach get a state funeral? If so then he should get one too. Doesn't matter what opinions people have of him.

That's the bottom line no matter what you think of the thieving, corrupt bastid. ;)

KOH

Dodge
02/05/2006, 5:02 PM
As a bloke, you have top admire the sheer f.ucking balls on him. He's basically the chancer down your local boozer you have a secret admiration for, whilst at the same time hoping he's not riding your bird or robbing your folks place....

Roverstillidie
02/05/2006, 6:27 PM
haughey has been at deaths door for nearly 10 years. he got a sicknote to be excused from the tribunal remember! he will be in dingle all summer as usual.

he is entitled to a state funeral, and that entitles us to a day off, so CJ, if you are reading, dont you fĂșcking dare go on a thursday meaning a weekend funeral. we want a friday off in july, so if you popped your clogs on a tuesday we would be much obliged.

CollegeTillIDie
02/05/2006, 9:30 PM
haughey has been at deaths door for nearly 10 years. he got a sicknote to be excused from the tribunal remember! he will be in dingle all summer as usual.

he is entitled to a state funeral, and that entitles us to a day off, so CJ, if you are reading, dont you fĂșcking dare go on a thursday meaning a weekend funeral. we want a friday off in july, so if you popped your clogs on a tuesday we would be much obliged.

Well maybe the Grim Reaper from that artificial butter ad might be able to oblige !!!!

Thunderblaster
03/05/2006, 10:09 AM
Afterall the was elected by some of the same people who now criticising him.

I doubt it pete. You need to take into consideration all the deceased voters from 1959-1992 and all those that did not have the vote up to 1992, so you are technically incorrect!!:D Well, maybe you're right. I did not read the word some. Apologies!!:eek: :D

joeSoap
03/05/2006, 11:04 AM
Haughey's a scumbag and a thief, the world'll be a better place when he's feeding the worms.Other people on here might be warned or censored by you for making unfounded remarks about people. Everybody knows he was no angel. He might have convictions for gun-running, but I don't think he's ever been convicted of being a thief. If you're going to criticise, then at least be objective and acknowledge the vast amount of good the man did as well as the other things.

dahamsta
03/05/2006, 11:11 AM
Haughey only did good for this country when there was good for the inside of his own pockets. The man is a scumbag and a thief, he ripped this country off time and time again; anyone that claims otherwise is a liar, a fool, or just plain blind.

pete
03/05/2006, 1:30 PM
Haughey only did good for this country when there was good for the inside of his own pockets. The man is a scumbag and a thief, he ripped this country off time and time again; anyone that claims otherwise is a liar, a fool, or just plain blind.

Can't disagree with that but on what basis would he be denied a State Funeral. He has not served jail time or to my knowledge been convicted of anything.

klein4
03/05/2006, 1:49 PM
he may have done all of them things but fact is the people of this country let him and were totally complicit in it so not point blamin him for taking advantage of fact that everyone was too busy lookin after themselves to care.

dahamsta
03/05/2006, 1:51 PM
I was a child when Haughey raped this country. Am I to blame to hating him for doing so?

Haughey is to blame of Haughey's actions. Trying to fob it off on society is a bizarre reaction.

klein4
03/05/2006, 1:59 PM
raped this country?
bit extreme no?
he lined his own pockets a bit but hardly to the extent where he bled country dry? I dont like the guy and thought what he did was a disgrace but the bigger disgrace is the amount of money thats been ****ed away on tribunals tryin to get to the bottom of whatever the hell went on. surely when the figures are added up more money will have been spent on tribunals than was gained from the corruption they are tryin to investigate? and still people vote in the same guys. bertie signed blank cheques for haughey and still he was elected. as usual in this country we will **** and moan about him when he is dead but do **** all about it when it mattered.

nedder
03/05/2006, 2:14 PM
raped this country?
bit extreme no?
he lined his own pockets a bit but hardly to the extent where he bled country dry? I dont like the guy and thought what he did was a disgrace but the bigger disgrace is the amount of money thats been ****ed away on tribunals tryin to get to the bottom of whatever the hell went on. surely when the figures are added up more money will have been spent on tribunals than was gained from the corruption they are tryin to investigate? and still people vote in the same guys. bertie signed blank cheques for haughey and still he was elected. as usual in this country we will **** and moan about him when he is dead but do **** all about it when it mattered.

spot on Klein,
people are going overboard on this, if he was so bad, how come he kept getting re- elected???
If we had pumped all that tribunal money into a national stadium, wouldn't it have beed a better idea?
Are all the judges/ barristers etc that have lined their pockets with charging extortionate rates for tribunal work any worse??

Hands up who wouldn't take the opportunity of paying less tax if you were sure of not getting caught. 'cos I know what my answer is..

Macy
03/05/2006, 2:41 PM
The tribunals are vitally important for us to clear up exactly what happened in the 80's with regard to corruption. How can we prevent it, if we don't know what went on.

I really hope that people that are anti-tribunal are to young to remember what state this country and economy were in when Haughey was at this?

The fact that the electorate continue to elect a man who signed blank cheques for haughey tells it's own story on the general intelligence of the population.

pete
03/05/2006, 2:57 PM
The tribunals are vitally important for us to clear up exactly what happened in the 80's with regard to corruption. How can we prevent it, if we don't know what went on.

Are we really preventing corruption? Sure we all know what happened. If these people broke the law get the gardai to investigated, bring them to trial & lock them up in jail.

Corruption happens every day with Property Development although probably @ smaller scale now.

Dodge
03/05/2006, 2:58 PM
Hands up who wouldn't take the opportunity of paying less tax if you were sure of not getting caught
If it were simply that he noticed revenue gave him the wrong rate he'd be OK. If he's actively trying to **** the country financially, no...

Its the two facedness of it that annoys (understatement...) most. At a time when you're preaching to the nation that everyone should be "tightening belts" you're going out and swindling millions upon millions from the state and from equally corrupt businessmen?

Macy
03/05/2006, 3:02 PM
Are we really preventing corruption? Sure we all know what happened. If these people broke the law get the gardai to investigated, bring them to trial & lock them up in jail.
I wouldn't disagree, but then we'd probably have the same muppets giving out about the cost of those investigations and why they weren't going after "real" criminals (as they sit in their car for 2 hours each way from some satellite estate with no facilities failing to see the connection).

Not sure we are really preventing corruption - certainly the zoning system and the lack of control on the timing of subsequent development of rezoned lands certainly play right into the hands of the type of people that frequent tents at Galway Races.

pete
03/05/2006, 3:08 PM
Not sure we are really preventing corruption - certainly the zoning system and the lack of control on the timing of subsequent development of rezoned lands certainly play right into the hands of the type of people that frequent tents at Galway Races.

Thats the nub of it. Iriish people are clearly happy with the situation as for all our collective moaning we (the electorate) re-elect FF.