PDA

View Full Version : Snow Patrol

M@ttitude
30/04/2006, 6:54 PM
Anyone got there album yet? I loved Final Straw but cant get a hold of their latest one being in the states.. Can anyone give me their opinion?

CollegeTillIDie
01/05/2006, 4:42 PM
Are they the Northern Irish band who all went to Uni in Scotland hey? :D

finlma
02/05/2006, 1:05 PM
The new album seems very good after the first couple of listens. I was at the gig in Dublin Castle on Saturday and they put on a great show.

hamish
02/05/2006, 1:15 PM
Amigos - what happened to the bass player with Snow Patrol - stockyish bloke with shortish hair?? Also, there was a BBC Norn Iron show on a couple of weeks back which featured an ex-Snow Patrol bloke but he was playing guitar and playing solo and didn't look like that bassist I mentioned. Have they had a lot of line up changes?
Love that big single of theirs - Run* - lovely song.

*Have I got the song name right? It's the video with motorbikes, a stream and flares in it.:confused:

Dodge
02/05/2006, 2:12 PM
Terrible boring band. if they were Welsh they'd be the stereophonics and nobody would like them

finlma
02/05/2006, 5:40 PM
Terrible boring band. if they were Welsh they'd be the stereophonics and nobody would like them

Stereophonics are a good band. Horses for courses but Snow Patrol are far from boring.

CollegeTillIDie
03/05/2006, 7:04 AM
They would have had to sack their drummer to be the Stereophonics, SP only sacked their bass player ... not the same thing at all :D

M@ttitude
03/05/2006, 5:41 PM
I loved Final Straw,for an album that i didnt expect much from it was in my cd player for about 6 months solid after i bought it!!!

Same with me

Speranza
06/05/2006, 5:29 PM
Their first album was without doubt their best work yet. Seen them in Derry a month before Final Straw in front of about 70 people and they played their old stuff. Oxegen came after their success and they dropped all the material from the first two albums including some classics like Starfightet Pilot. Hate bands who forget their past because of recent success.

Drumcondra Red
06/05/2006, 5:34 PM
Agreed Dodge, I find them boring and a bit predictable, but hey I'm just one man!!!

Although as Speranza said some of the early stuff was quite good, ah well!!!

Plastic Paddy
06/05/2006, 10:42 PM
Hate bands who forget their past because of recent success.

They all do it Speranza. 'Tis in the nature of the beast. Sorry if I sound like sirhamish at this point. ;)

That said, I wouldn't have objected if That Petrol Emotion had played a few Undetrtones tracks in their sets whenever I saw them. Maybe Derry fans of a certain age only will know what I'm talking about... Steve? :D

:ball: PP

Dassa
06/05/2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah three of the five current members are from NI with the other 2 new members the new bass guitarist and the keyboard player from scotland. i think it was a differance of opinion for why the old bassist was threw out. i remember watching them in the empire with about only 100 people there brilliant gig, played starfighter pilot and all the old classics as well as a few from the fourthcoming massive album final straw. The new album is well written but for me lacks the edge of what made snow patrol different and would hate to see them as a poor mans coldplay. have to admit the duet with wainright, set the fire to third bar is pure class.

Ps to the person who mentioned starfighter pilot, they have been finishing off with that as their encore the last few gigs theyve done. fantastic song

Dassa
10/05/2006, 4:13 AM
Just announced that they will be playing t Vital in botanic gardens in August for any not going to see them at dublin.

Lionel Ritchie
10/05/2006, 9:12 AM
I think the bassist was fired because he objected to the material they were favouring -paraphrasing him -he said the band had become no more than a Lightbody solo project under the Snow Patrol brand name.

I find them rather bland and unremarkable I have to admit. While it's commendable that you can hear in Lightbodys voice what neck of the woods he's from -as opposed to the mid atlantic drawl or faux cockney of so many other bands, I just find his voice and lyrics very twee after only a verse and a bit.

The backing-band seem to only have one gear as well -and not in a good way.

Speranza
11/05/2006, 4:14 PM
Check out their first album for a different style to Final Straw/Eyes Open. A bit darker and quality production.

Dassa
13/05/2006, 8:25 AM
Some of the Reindeer section stuff that gary did was good as well.