PDA

View Full Version : UCD-Dublin City

Pages : [1] 2

pineapple stu
30/04/2006, 5:59 PM
I see the Dublin City website has this game now down for the Monday (22nd May) in Dalymount at 7:45pm. No related news article that I can see though, and haven't seen anything on any of the league websites either. But it sounds plausible alright.

CollegeTillIDie
30/04/2006, 6:27 PM
Well I will still miss it then won't be home till the following Thursday night!

DmanDmythDledge
19/05/2006, 7:46 PM
Quigley is a big doubt for this. He's not training at the moment.

pineapple stu
19/05/2006, 7:49 PM
How hear you that?

DmanDmythDledge
19/05/2006, 7:50 PM
On bebo.

pineapple stu
19/05/2006, 7:52 PM
:D

It has a use!

DmanDmythDledge
19/05/2006, 7:54 PM
He's played 60-something consecutive games.

pineapple stu
19/05/2006, 7:59 PM
67 non-League Cup games.

DmanDmythDledge
19/05/2006, 8:39 PM
Are we actually going to have any fans at this game? Whose going?

Poor Student
19/05/2006, 9:28 PM
Are we actually going to have any fans at this game? Whose going?

Pineapple and I are anyway.

mypost
21/05/2006, 8:24 PM
As this game is likely to set a record for lowest attendance at a Premier Division match this season, let's guess the odds on how many show up?

50: 2/1
100: 1/1
150: 1/2
150+: Bar

DmanDmythDledge
21/05/2006, 8:27 PM
So you'll be willing to pay out on any winning bets then;)

DmanDmythDledge
21/05/2006, 10:18 PM
Is there any chance of this being called off? More rain tomorrow.

mypost
22/05/2006, 2:04 AM
It's already been postponed once!!

pineapple stu
22/05/2006, 12:42 PM
"Bar" isn't an odds. Unless you mean that it's 150/1 Bar the figures you mentioned, in which case I'd be interested in putting a few grand on that and paying 150 people myself to come along just to be sure to be sure.

Also, the game wasn't postponed, it was rescheduled because of international commitments.

John83
22/05/2006, 2:20 PM
Pineapple and I are anyway.
Probably me too. Amusing to think that I could have a significant personal impact on the attendance.

pineapple stu
22/05/2006, 3:18 PM
:D :D

Yes, I believe you can.

However, if you refer purely to "that particular Shamrock Rovers fan", then you're OK.

Poor Student
22/05/2006, 9:28 PM

I look forward to you paying up then.:D

DmanDmythDledge
22/05/2006, 10:14 PM
This match was an absolute joke. Mahon got the tactics wrong once again. Has he not learned the risks of sitting back on a one goal lead. Hoofing the ball up the field rather than play ball- we don't even have to resort to using the long ball, we can play good football when we want. Also towards the end of the game, while we were looking for an equaliser I noticed that a few of the players were only jogging, not sprinting. If the manager can't motivate players to even run I don't know what he can get them to do. I think the time has come for Mahon to be shown the door. A poor season last season was only covered up by Rovers being deducted 8 points and us going up a place as a result. 9th in the league simply isn't good enough, especially with the players we have at our disposal.

CollegeTillIDie
23/05/2006, 6:56 AM
Where's the match report? I mean it's Tuesday morning already and some of us were out of the country!... sheesh you can't get good service these days

CollegeTillIDie
23/05/2006, 6:57 AM
Hedderman nods home the winner as Dublin City triumph
Date: Monday, 22 May 2006
Section: eircom League
Dublin City 2 UCD 1.
Rooney 61 Byrne 3
Hedderman 81

Robbie Hedderman grabbed a winner as Dublin City came from behind to plunder full points at Dalymount Park in the eircom League.

UCD hit the front in this eircom Premier Division clash when Paul Byrne headed in from a Darragh Ryan corner-kick after three minutes.

City struggled to create scoring chances in the opening half but they came more into the game after the restart and levelled on 61 minutes after David Freeman released Mark Rooney to fire in.

And ex-Derry City star Hedderman clinched the win for Dublin with nine minutes remaining as he headed in from a Robbie Collins corner.

Dublin City: Rogers, Brennan, Keely, Whelehan, Hedderman, Pender, Shields, McGill, Rooney, Freeman, Collins. Substitutes: O'Donnell for Pender (81 minutes), Doyle for Collins (85 minutes).

UCD: Quigley, Mahon, McNally, Shortall, Kenna, McWalter, McDonnell, Dicker, Ryan, P Byrne, Sammon. Substitutes: Hurley for Shortall (half-time), Doyle for Byrne (70 minutes), Quinn for Kenna (87 minutes).

Referee: Mr. D Tomney.

Stolen from the FAI website. I am sorry I was in the Czech Republic and missed the game!

CollegeTillIDie
23/05/2006, 6:59 AM
Mark Rooney even scored could it get any worse :(

CollegeTillIDie
23/05/2006, 7:00 AM
This match was an absolute joke. Mahon got the tactics wrong once again. Has he not learned the risks of sitting back on a one goal lead. Hoofing the ball up the field rather than play ball- we don't even have to resort to using the long ball, we can play good football when we want. .................................................. .......... A poor season last season was only covered up by Rovers being deducted 8 points and us going up a place as a result. 9th in the league simply isn't good enough, especially with the players we have at our disposal.

Losing to teams we should be aiming to get 100% League points against, isn't good enough I agree!
And finally someone ELSE realises that in terms of the League last season was a poor one. It's nice not to be the only one who can wake up and smell the coffee. Not sure whether sacking Pete is necessarily the answer but a change in approach is needed someway!

Maynard
23/05/2006, 9:18 AM

What has Shamrock Rovers got to do with it?? :confused:

Nothing at all. I believe that was the initial problem with your presence:rolleyes:

pineapple stu
25/05/2006, 7:50 PM
Where's the match report? I mean it's Tuesday morning already and some of us were out of the country!... sheesh you can't get good service these days
Relax! Some of us are only just back from three days working in Nenagh...

UCD slipped to a disappointing defeat in an eerily empty Dalymount Park on Monday night against Dublin City in a match Pete Mahon would certainly have been targetting all three points from. As it is, it is City, not UCD, who make the jump into the top half of the table.

The evening started brightly enough for the Students - from a third-minute corner, Paul Byrne was on hand to flick home Darragh Ryan's cross for his fourth of the season. That was as good as it got for UCD, however, as they retreated into their shell afterwards and let their hosts right back into the match.

They still had the better of things in the first half; however, City came out much stronger in the second and, after Mark Rooney had brought a good save out of Darren Quigley and somehow missed an open goal from ten yards, the former UCD forward levelled when he got through a static UCD defence to slot home past Quigley.

UCD struggled to get back into the game, with some of their better players having a collective off-day. Darren Quigley uncharacteristically fumbled a corner only to be saved by his defence; UCD broke and Pat McWalter was sent high into the air by a very late City challenge which deservedly brought a yellow card.

City appeared at times happy with the draw, heading into the corner from ten minutes out, but they took all three points in the 81st minute when Darren Quigley got his hand to a Robbie Hedderman header from another corner but couldn't do enough to keep the ball out of the net.

Mahon went for broke after that, withdrawing Conor Kenna and putting on Ciarán Quinn as UCD went 3-4-3 to salvage a point; however, the massed City defence were in no mood to allow the Students through and City held on for all three points.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, Kenna (Quinn 87), Shortall (Hurley 45), McNally; McDonnell, McWalter, Dicker, Ryan; P Byrne (Doyle 71), Sammon. Subs not used - Hussey, Cawley.

Att - 83

John83
25/05/2006, 8:10 PM
3-4-3 Pineapple, methinks.

pineapple stu
25/05/2006, 9:13 PM
Indeed. Edited.

CollegeTillIDie
26/05/2006, 12:32 PM
Only comment to be made about the attendance for all those watching us like a hawk is this. Many of our supporters ONLY attend matches in Belfield Park and do not attend ANY games at away venues even in Dublin. My guess would be there would be somewhere in excess of 300 of these type fans of UCD. You see them in Belfield Park for every game and you never see them in Richmond Park, Tolka Park or Dalymount Park at away games. Not sure why that is in the case of younger fans I know in the case of our pensioner fans who stay away from the away games, it is that they don't like the atmosphere at the away games and the general level of unparliamentary language usually heard there.
Plus I was out of the country and unable to attend and some of our fans perhaps were at work and unable to go.

Schumi
26/05/2006, 1:07 PM
Poxy result. Why did we sit back after taking the lead again? We didn't do that at home to Sligo or Bray and we hammered them. I doubt CHF are much better than them so why were we afraid to go at them?

Poor Student
26/05/2006, 3:14 PM
Att - 83

Did you revise the attendance?:confused:

CTID I doubt there is well in excess of 300 regular home fans, but there's a good 100 people who never go to away games anyway. Our most successful away crowd is Bray. There was a good vocal group of about 20 excluding yourself, your old man and player's families. We also got a decent enough band to Drogheda.

pineapple stu
26/05/2006, 5:57 PM
Well you know, it's all about marketability and attendances these days...

Dodge
26/05/2006, 6:16 PM
Seriously, 83?

John83
26/05/2006, 6:34 PM
Seriously, 83?
Something like that, yes.

pineapple stu
26/05/2006, 9:17 PM
Official apparently, though I counted 151. Difference is probably Pat Dolan, who was there.

Shocking crowd, especially in a ground like Dalyer.

CollegeTillIDie
29/05/2006, 6:29 AM
Well from enquiries I have made the 151 figure , which is not too far off double the 83 quoted seems more accurate. Seems someone in the Dublin City camp is indulging in a dis-information campaign.... unless the other 68 were season ticket holders , which are not included in the cash paying customers figure quoted. If this is the case. Revenue might be very interested in finding out... which is all the League needs more bad news involving tax. :(

Dodge
29/05/2006, 7:56 AM
VAT on 70 tickets x €15. I'd nearly pay that myself

Relax FFS

John83
29/05/2006, 10:58 AM
Well from enquiries I have made the 151 figure , which is not too far off double the 83 quoted seems more accurate. Seems someone in the Dublin City camp is indulging in a dis-information campaign.... unless the other 68 were season ticket holders , which are not included in the cash paying customers figure quoted. If this is the case. Revenue might be very interested in finding out... which is all the League needs more bad news involving tax. :(
CTID, you're talking crap. Nearly everyone agrees that the 151 figure was too high and the percentage of freebies in a crowd like that is likely to be large. Revenue would laugh at suggestions of fiddling there. They've enough to look after without chasing €50 off CHF.

Student Mullet
29/05/2006, 11:23 AM
If Pineapple counted 151, then he counted 151. It's not as though you can mis-count with the number that small. 150 odd watched the game, 80 odd of whom paid in and 70 odd got in for free.

Schumi
29/05/2006, 11:28 AM
VAT on 70 tickets x €15. I'd nearly pay that myself

Relax FFS
There's no VAT on gate receipts I thought.

Dodge
29/05/2006, 11:43 AM
Well then its not even a tax issue...

John83
29/05/2006, 11:46 AM
If Pineapple counted 151, then he counted 151. It's not as though you can mis-count with the number that small. 150 odd watched the game, 80 odd of whom paid in and 70 odd got in for free.
There was nearly no people outside of the stand (I'd estimate it at under ten, including the ambulance crew), which Poor Student photographed. There aren't more than 100 people in that photo, and that's being generous.

Schumi
29/05/2006, 12:20 PM
I'm a little more concerned by the fact that we lost against a team we should be beating after taking the lead than whether 80 or 100 people were watching at the time tbh.

pineapple stu
29/05/2006, 12:27 PM
There aren't more than 100 people in that photo, and that's being generous.
The photo is from a very narrow angle. Most people who go to a game go with someone else and sit beside them. They'd then be obscuring the person next to them in such a photo. I agree with Bald Student on this.

I also agree with Schumi on this. (a) The crowd was sh!te whichever way you look at it and (b) we shouldn't be losing to clubs that small. Unless of course, they're cheating and spending money they simply don't have. Perish the thought.

Poor Student
29/05/2006, 12:33 PM
Schumi, lock the thread.;)

Bald Student
29/05/2006, 12:35 PM
I also agree with Schumi on this. (a) The crowd was sh!te whichever way you look at it and (b) we shouldn't be losing to clubs that small. Unless of course, they're cheating and spending money they simply don't have. Perish the thought.You're starting to sound like a Cork fan! Any club that can leave Micko on the bench and Hugh Davey in the reserves must have a strong team (or at least a strong left back).

Schumi
29/05/2006, 12:43 PM
You're starting to sound like a Cork fan!
It was the ref's fault!

pineapple stu
29/05/2006, 12:47 PM
You're starting to sound like a Cork fan!
I disagree. I didn't say biy or blame the ref. Also, I'm blaming us rather than the opposition for the defeat. Also, since I changed my signature from "Top solvent team in Dublin", I've displayed no outward signs of overt superiority. Though that's liable to change if we become the top solvent team in Dublin again.

DmanDmythDledge
29/05/2006, 12:49 PM
Though that's liable to change if we become the top solvent team in Dublin again.
Well we won't be seeing that again then.

Schumi
29/05/2006, 1:29 PM
that's liable to change if we become the top solvent team in Dublin again.
Who's to say we're not now?

Bald Student
29/05/2006, 1:41 PM
Who's to say we're not now?Boh's' 50 million.