PDA

View Full Version : NHL Playoffs

superfrank
29/04/2006, 6:27 PM
I was watching Edmonton and Detroit last night. Edmonton were unlucky with penalties. In the first period they gave away about 5 or 6. I couldn't believe Detroit's second goal. The puck rebopunded off both posts and in off Holstroms skate I think. It was 2-2 when I went to bed, it was 1 o'clock!! Anybody know the final score?

Also, I saw that Soku Koivu is going to miss a good bit for the Canadiens. It could end their play-offs.

Poor Student
29/04/2006, 6:31 PM
Sounds like you were watching an "As Live" match because they're playing today and played two days ago. The last one ended 4-2.

http://www.nhl.com/dotcom/app?date=04%2F27%2F2006&page=Scoreboard&service=page

The NHL have a good site. Anytime you want to know a score just check it out.

CollegeTillIDie
29/04/2006, 6:47 PM
I was watching Edmonton and Detroit last night. Edmonton were unlucky with penalties. In the first period they gave away about 5 or 6. I couldn't believe Detroit's second goal. The puck rebopunded off both posts and in off Holstroms skate I think. It was 2-2 when I went to bed, it was 1 o'clock!! Anybody know the final score?

Also, I saw that Soku Koivu is going to miss a good bit for the Canadiens. It could end their play-offs.

Detroit Beat Edmonton 4-2
Montreal lost to Carolina 3-2 I think

CollegeTillIDie
29/04/2006, 6:49 PM
Sounds like you were watching an "As Live" match because they're playing today and played two days ago. The last one ended 4-2.

http://www.nhl.com/dotcom/app?date=04%2F27%2F2006&page=Scoreboard&service=page

The NHL have a good site. Anytime you want to know a score just check it out.

www.livescore.com... shows NHL results too!

CollegeTillIDie
29/04/2006, 6:50 PM
Koivu received a stick in the eye during game 3 and has been hospitalized.... and as a Habs fan I am worried :(

CollegeTillIDie
29/04/2006, 6:55 PM
I also watched the first two periods of Detroit -Edmonton

superfrank
29/04/2006, 10:00 PM
The Leafs are out so I'm not too upset bout who wins the Stanley Cup. :(

adamcarr
29/04/2006, 10:11 PM
Do any one of ye know if eighter Otowa or NY Rangers are in the playoffs. I was over at their match in the Madison Sq Garden last week and Otowa are a class act. Ended up winning 5-1, also the yanks are the most fickle nation Ive ever seen, as soon as they went down 3-1 half the spectators left, by the end the only people left were those who waited to boo each player off the rink!:rolleyes:

Poor Student
29/04/2006, 10:41 PM
The NY Rangers have been absolutely whipped out of it 4-0 by the New Jersey Devils in the 1st round of the playoffs. That's the Devils 15th win in a row.

Ottawa are 3-1 up over Tampa Bay and need one more to take the series.

adamcarr
29/04/2006, 11:22 PM
The NY Rangers have been absolutely whipped out of it 4-0 by the New Jersey Devils in the 1st round of the playoffs. That's the Devils 15th win in a row.

Ottawa are 3-1 up over Tampa Bay and need one more to take the series.
Cheers!

Na Chlairsigh
30/04/2006, 12:16 AM
Being deep within Sabres country, playoff fever has hit Buffalo!

After winning the first two games at home, we lost twice away in Philly so it's all tied up.

I was at first game, 3-2 win in double over time, unreal atmosphere.

Edmonton won today, and New Jersey looked rediciously good.

CollegeTillIDie
30/04/2006, 8:25 AM
The Leafs are out so I'm not too upset bout who wins the Stanley Cup. :(

Well if Montreal don't win it I hope another Canadian club does. It's time for Stanley to go back where it belongs... The Great White North. :D

CollegeTillIDie
30/04/2006, 8:28 AM
FT Detroit Red Wings 2 ( 0 1 1 )

Edmonton Oilers 3 ( 0 3 0 )

FT New York Rangers 2 ( 1 0 1 )

New Jersey Devils 4 ( 0 2 2 )

FT Ottawa Senators 3 ( 2 1 0 )

Tampa Bay Lightning 2 ( 0 2 0 )

FT Calgary Flames 3 ( 2 1 0 )

Anaheim Mighty Ducks 2 ( 0 0 2 )

Here's all of last night's results the scores in brackets were the scores at the end of 1st, 2nd and 3rd periods respectively. What this does is show you how the game progressed. www.livescore.com

pete
30/04/2006, 12:23 PM
Was watching hockey last night (Calgary & Ottowa) due to combination of body clock messed up doing allnighter at work & sick in bed.

Surprisingly entertaining & none of the usual stoppages that other american sports have. Seems to be good atmosphere at games too. Is that just a canadian thing?

superfrank
30/04/2006, 12:30 PM
Seems to be good atmosphere at games too. Is that just a canadian thing?
I don't know. But the rendition of O, Canada seemed to be very moving. Ottawa's second goal was a cracker. Good decision on the one that was ruled out. I think it had hit both his skates in the end.

CollegeTillIDie
30/04/2006, 12:47 PM
Was watching hockey last night (Calgary & Ottowa) due to combination of body clock messed up doing allnighter at work & sick in bed.

Surprisingly entertaining & none of the usual stoppages that other american sports have. Seems to be good atmosphere at games too. Is that just a canadian thing?

The atmosphere is great at all NHL Ice Hockey games. However it is the Canadians national sport so a game between Canadian teams would be that bit more special.

adamcarr
30/04/2006, 4:54 PM
The atmosphere is great at all NHL Ice Hockey games. However it is the Canadians national sport so a game between Canadian teams would be that bit more special.

Yeah the NY rangers fans did get behind there team alright at the start except they only have one chant but I expect this is the norm in american sports, it was the same at the baseball game I was at aswell!

Na Chlairsigh
30/04/2006, 9:51 PM
Today's scores

Buffalo 3-0 Philly
(Buffalo leads series 3-2)

Dallas 2-3 Colorado
(Colorado wins the series)

I have to say that hockey is the best of all the North American sports. A quick, tough sport with lots of skill. Also size doesn't matter so there is a great mix of big tough fellas and small skillful lads.

The atmosphere is normally good at games, but seeing as it is playoff's now, the atmosphere is unreal. It's not just games involing Canadian teams that have the best atmosphere, but the biggest rivials are up North, the Battle of Alberta between Edmonton and Calgary and any Toronto versus Montreal games are very special.

Even the Sun Belt teams like Dallas, Carolina, Nashville and San Jose get good crowds.

Far better sport to baseball, basketball and american football.

superfrank
30/04/2006, 11:22 PM
Far better sport to baseball, basketball and american football.
I don't like basketball. Baseball is glorified cricket. I like the NFL though. But yeah, ice hockey's the best. Great action. And as someone else pointed out, not as many stopages as in other American sports.

Colm55
01/05/2006, 11:03 PM
been following it myself lately, (been sucked in have the playoff beard as well ! !) its a great sport, never payed too much attention to it at home (in montreal on holiday at the moment) as superfrank mentioned, its great stuff, so fast, great action, no diving or cheating, you get hit you get hit, you'd better be back on your feet asap.. been trying to get a ticket for tomorrow nights game montreal V carolina but the prices are ridicolous - 100 dollars average price.. if anyone has connections ???

Dodge
02/05/2006, 2:09 AM
Went to a Rangers game whilst in New York a couple of years ago. Great craic. Highly recommend it to anyone wishing to get their sporting fix in USA

(Oh and I'm an American sports junkie BTW - www.sportsline.com is by far the best website IMO)

Na Chlairsigh
02/05/2006, 11:44 AM
Great game last night as Edmonton came back from being 2-0 down, tied it at two, but then scored 2 more goals all in the final period to wrap up the series. That's the first time in years that a number 8 seed has knocked off a number 1 seed.

Very interesting out west considering the top two seeds, Detroit and Dallas have both been knocked out. Should be interesting.

superfrank
10/05/2006, 10:15 AM
I watched a bit of the first last night between Colorado and Anaheim.

I couldn't believe the result between Carolina and NJ. 1-1 with 20 seconds to go, NJ score and then with 4 seconds left Carolina equalise and win it in Overtime!!

Saku Koivu underwent surgeruy on a tear to his retina last Saturday. He'll be in hospital for a few weeks yet.

CollegeTillIDie
10/05/2006, 7:54 PM
I watched a bit of the first last night between Colorado and Anaheim.

I couldn't believe the result between Carolina and NJ. 1-1 with 20 seconds to go, NJ score and then with 4 seconds left Carolina equalise and win it in Overtime!!

Saku Koivu underwent surgeruy on a tear to his retina last Saturday. He'll be in hospital for a few weeks yet.

According to the Canadiens website he is progressing nicely with his recovery and his hopeful of being 100% before the new season begins.

superfrank
10/05/2006, 8:41 PM
Retina tear is pretty bad though. Everytime I see the accident again it'd really stomach churning.

In my round-up I forgot to mention Ilya Brzygalov's shutout run came to an end after 3 games. I think it was around 248 mins by the time Colorado had scored last night.

pete
10/05/2006, 11:28 PM
Who do ye support? Is it like picking english football teams?

I've only seen few games on Setanta (when they not showing boring baseball) but running out of Canadians to support over the yanks.

I believe hockey well down the pecking order in US sports & big money loser?

Dodge
11/05/2006, 7:16 AM
It definitely is the 4th sport in most US cities but in the northern cities (Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo etc) it'd be very popular. Its also seen as a "white" sport by most. The rangers game I went to was sold out and they already had no chance of a playoffs spot.

Chicago calls itself a hockey town...

superfrank
11/05/2006, 11:14 AM
Who do ye support? Is it like picking english football teams?
I support the Toronto Maple Leafs. I always ahd a passing interest in ice hockey when they'd show it on Eurosport and now that I can watch it on Setanta, it's been rekindled.

I support Toronto because Toronto was the first place in North America that I went to and I was staying in a hotel where I could see Maple Leaf Gardens from my room.

Big money loser. They was no season in 2004/5 because of the Lockout. Apparently all NHL francises had lost a combined c.$248m on players wages.

pete
11/05/2006, 12:13 PM
Its a surprise they lose money with 82 regular season games in 15-20k areans. Must be paying the players far too much then?

superfrank
11/05/2006, 3:06 PM
Here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004-05_NHL_lockout) the only explanation of the lockout I could find.

God bless Wikipedia. :)

Na Chlairsigh
12/05/2006, 5:54 PM
Thought some might like an update:

Western Conference:

Anaheim swept Colorado 4-0

San Jose lead Edmonton 2-1

Eastern Conference

Carolina lead New Jersey 3-0

Buffalo lead Ottawa 3-1

superfrank
14/05/2006, 9:30 AM
No surprise about Anaheim really theyd beaten Colorado 5-0 and 3-0 in the first two games.

Glad to see Ottawa and Edmonton won.

superfrank
14/05/2006, 9:40 AM
Just checked the updates Buffalo won 4-1 against Ottawa so they'll face the winner of NJ and Carolina.

Edmonton tied their series with SJ at 2-2.

pete
14/05/2006, 11:23 AM
Ottowa v Buffalo was good game but i couldn't last the pace into overtime. Lot of power plays & seemed fairly physical game. Buffalo goalie too good, Buffalo more attacking ideas.

Dodge
14/05/2006, 12:06 PM
Should say I look up the results of the Rangers having seen them play and Toronto Maple Leafs after finding out their previous name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_St._Pats)

pete
17/05/2006, 12:39 PM
Good Fight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4jelpUewE&search=tasker)

Need more of this. :D

superfrank
18/05/2006, 5:03 PM
Edmonton through. 2-0 in the game against SJ. 4-2 in the series.

I had taped the game but it ran out a few minutes into the third period when it was still 1-0 so I missed the second goal.

Conference Finals will be:

East
Buffalo vs. Carolina

West
Anaheim vs. Edmonton

superfrank
26/05/2006, 10:19 AM
Haven't been around here lately. For those interested: It's Buffalo 2 Carolina 1 in the East and Edmonton 3 Anaheim 1 in the West.

Buffalo and Carolina play tonight.

superfrank
31/05/2006, 7:42 PM
Ok, well the Stanley Cup Final will start next Monday on June 5.

Edmonton will be away to either Buffalo or Carolina for the first two games. They'll be at home for the next two, away for Games 5 and 7 and then home again for Game 6.

The Buffalo-Carolina series is 3-3 so it goes down to the last game at Carolina (I think) on Thursday night. The winner of that game wins the series and the Eastern Conference and they'll go onto the Stnaley Cup Final against Edmonton.

CollegeTillIDie
31/05/2006, 9:03 PM
Western Conference teams from South of the US border have tended to do better in the Stanley Cup Final than Eastern Conference teams.
And Eastern Conference teams from South of the US border have tended to do better than Western Conference teams from North of the US Border.

It's time some team from Canada got the Cup back... Go Oilers!

superfrank
31/05/2006, 10:11 PM
I'm up for Oilers too. I hope the watch every match possible seen as I finish school tomorrow.

Na Chlairsigh
01/06/2006, 12:22 PM
Huge Game tonight...........Buffalo still missing 3 of their 6 defencemen, and let's just say our reserves are a bit dodgy to say the least.

Buffalo to win in OT

Na Chlairsigh
02/06/2006, 12:47 AM
make that 4 out of 6 defencemen

1-0 Carolina half way in the 2nd period

superfrank
02/06/2006, 9:56 AM
They won it 4-2 in the end. C'mon Edmonton!