PDA

View Full Version : Richardson Comments on Ireland B Team

A face
28/04/2006, 1:13 PM
Interview with Damien Richardson on Red FM where, at the end he comments on the Ireland B team move. He makes alot of sense. (http://corktrophycentre.com/audios/richardson117.mp3)

John83
28/04/2006, 1:37 PM
Link is an mp3, for those of you wondering.

Unfortunately, I'll have to listen to it elsewhere, as I'm speakerless right now. Care to give a summary?

Superhoops
29/04/2006, 12:51 AM
Link is an mp3, for those of you wondering.

Unfortunately, I'll have to listen to it elsewhere, as I'm speakerless right now. Care to give a summary?
Typical Rico sh**e.

Thinks that Roy O'Donovan will get capped at senior level, even though (quite rightly IMO) he is not good enough to get into the U-21 squad against Azarbaijan ffs.

Doesnt think the B international set up is a good thing, as EL club teams have too many games and he doesnt see how it can be fitted in. He overlooks the fact that EL players would hardly make up 20% of a 20 man B squad out of which probably 1 might come from Cork.

I am sure if Steve Staunton had offered Rico the B team job he would have snapped it up. Clearly he begrudges Devlin the job.

When you read Rico's article in the Cork Independent posted on another thread, you have to ask is he on this planet or is he on something.

Seeing Bray lose again hurts but the pain is eased by another Cork defeat! We are p[robably only 2/3 weeks away from the Corkys calling for Rico to be sacked.

Assh*le of the highest order is Rico!!

pineapple stu
29/04/2006, 1:09 AM
Doesn't think the B international set up is a good thing, as EL club teams have too many games
That makes no sense. Sure the 33-game league is one of the smallest in Europe (piddly small countries aside).

Plastic Paddy
29/04/2006, 5:58 AM
Typical Rico sh**e.

When you read Rico's article in the Cork Independent posted on another thread, you have to ask is he on this planet or is he on something.

I've always thought that. The Corkies seem to love him though. Perhaps it's his florid language that does it for them...

:ball: PP

thejollyrodger
29/04/2006, 10:35 AM
Rico's got it all pete tong !!

Qwerty
29/04/2006, 5:09 PM
He's a football manager who uses the mandated number of cliches, they're all the same when they talk to the media. His point about our resources being tiny and added to the fact that there is no guarantee of quality in B games is on the money. I've said it before B games are of zero value. Our squad doesn't change a great deal from campaign to campaign as we have a small pool to choose from. B games = yawn.

Paddy Garcia
29/04/2006, 6:06 PM
Our squad doesn't change a great deal from campaign to campaign

Perhaps all the more reason for the occasional B game.

pete
30/04/2006, 12:07 PM
33 game league is above average in Europe. In Sweden they only play 26.

eL B Internationals would be expected to come from the toip teams. 33 league games, 8 Setanta Cup 4-8 European games. Say 2-3 FAI Cup. 47-52 Games!

Must City fans hate Givens so pleases O'Donovan not in the U21 squad to fly to back of nowhere & miss league games.

Superhoops
30/04/2006, 3:31 PM
Must City fans hate Givens so pleases O'Donovan not in the U21 squad to fly to back of nowhere & miss league games.
I would have thought any other EL club would have been pleased to have one of their players selected for the the national U-21 team for a competitive fixture regardless of who is the manager.

UCD have Darren Quigley and Gary Dicker in the squad, Bohemians have Stephen Ward and Drogheda have Stephen Bradley included in the squad. I haven't heard anyone from those clubs whinging that they are 'flying to the back of nowwhere & miss league games'.

Yet another example of someone from Cork putting their own interests before that of their country! What's new?

pineapple stu
30/04/2006, 4:24 PM
33 game league is above average in Europe. In Sweden they only play 26.
You'd want to use more than one example to try and prove a point, pete -

Albania - 36
Austria - 36
Belgium - 34
Denmark - 33
England - 38
Estonia - 36
France - 38
Germany - 34
Israel - 33
Italy - 38
Lithuania - 36
Macedonia - 33
Holland - 34 (plus a ludicrous series of play-offs for practically everyone)
Portugal - 34
Scotland - 38
Slovakia - 36
Slovenia - 36 (I think; Round 29 was last week in a ten-team league)
Spain - 38
Switzerland - 36
Turkey - 34
Wales - 34

Although admittedly there's more 30-game leagues than I had realised.

Qwerty
30/04/2006, 5:20 PM
Perhaps all the more reason for the occasional B game.

Please don't twist my quote, I said "Our squad doesn't change a great deal from campaign to campaign as we have a small pool to choose from.". 7 B games a week won't change that!

Do people really think that there are that many players out there? Right now it looks like the crisis if you want to call it that is in the center of midfield, with Keane & Holland retired and Kavanagh not setting the world alight at international level we need a new partnership, there will be enough friendlies at full level to try the few candidates that are out there. We don't need B games.