PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go from here

dosullivan
18/06/2002, 12:49 AM
OK now that we are out perhaps we should start looking at the future and start speculation on the makeup of the Irish team/squad for the Euros qualifiers.

Who will make the big breakthroughs into the squad?

I hope/expect John O'Shea and Colin Healy to make it into the squad. Gary Doherty should also be there.
Regarding the team I would like to see Duff play on the wing and perhaps look at Morrsion alongside Keane upfront....
What about taking a look at Stephen Reid on the right of mdfield.....any thoughts?
I see a problem at left-back, should Mick experiment with a fit again Stephen Carr? Are their any other options coming through?

All in all I think there is sufficient quality coming through to allow be optimistic for qualification to Portugal.

Xlex
18/06/2002, 8:36 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong if Ian Harte rediscovers the form of two years ago, when he was selected on the Premiership players XI. Stephen Reids chances may not be so clear cut if McCarthy pushed Carr or Finnan up the line... I believe Stephen Carr is a world class player and we were lucky to have top class cover for him... Healy and O'Shea's day may come in WC2006... Qualifiers start in September for Euro 2004, its a bit soon for players who only have a handfull of starts for their respective clubs.... I'd personnally like to see Stephen Mc Phail move clubs, if McCarthy sticks with Duff up front, He a viable option on the left...

pete
18/06/2002, 10:31 AM
Hardest decision would be what to do with fit again Carr given Finnans rise.....

I think people get carried away with O'Shea who only has a handful of games for Manchester - I wouldn't expect him to be much more than a squad player in the qualifiers.

I think of the players not to make the Wc squad Healy has the best chance of seeing time on the pitch either as a sub or even starting on the right side of midfield.

Harte is playing badly this year but no reason he can't rediscover his form if his club manager teaches him to defend.

I wouldn't see the squad changing too much aisde for replacements for the retirees.

Xlex
18/06/2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by pete
Harte is playing badly this year but no reason he can't rediscover his form if his club manager teaches him to defend.

Spot on Pete... Gary Kelly is quite lucky... Robbie Keane had nothing to lose and Stephen McPhail didn't get a look in when he really should have.... O' Deary O'Leary do your job...

For a club with a large Irish group of players, the sooner Leeds play ball the better...

Macy
18/06/2002, 12:15 PM
IMHO Harte's defending was always dodgy...... my option would be to try switching either Finnan or Carr to left full (worked very well with Denis Irwin!).
There has to be some doubt as to whether McPhail will a) get back in the Leeds first team or b) ever regain his form.
While O'Shea hasn't had many starts, I'd consider the fact that he has been retained at United as a major positive, esp. as Ferguson's reasoning to bringing Le Blanc was that O'Shea would come through. Simple question Dunne or O'Shea? P!sshead or Professional?
Without getting into the whole RK issue again, I think it's imperative that some resolution is found. Unfortunately doesn't look like either side will be @rsed to bit the bullet.
One things for sure, I don't want a trawl around the @rse end of the nationwide looking at players grannies - they should be asked once to play for Ireland - any hesitation tell them to sod off. I still, and will always, find it hard to accept the likes of Morrison into the squad....

joe
18/06/2002, 7:10 PM
what about Andy O'Brien?

if harte doesn't get back on track, then i'd like to see finnan tried out at left-back