PDA

View Full Version : Scolari offered England job

DmanDmythDledge
26/04/2006, 10:57 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4949118.stm

The best choice, imo. None of the English candidates were good enough.

FarBeag
27/04/2006, 10:16 AM
.It maybe a good decision for the English but what about the Portuguese fans? Hasn’t he taken them to the World Cup? Will there not now be a conflict of interest? Money talks ha.Hope he wins nothing the greedy fcucker.

Dodge
27/04/2006, 10:43 AM
Conflict of interest me eye, he won't care how England do in this tournament (if anything, the wrose they play, the lower the expectations for him, the better)

Good manager by all accounts

gustavo
27/04/2006, 10:43 AM
He is out of contract after the world cup and nothing official has been announced.

NeilMcD
27/04/2006, 1:40 PM
Its a good choice by the English FA. As long as his English improves.

Kingdom
27/04/2006, 3:45 PM
There will be no conflict of interests. Not contracted till after the world cup. Knocking out England won't affect any seedings for subsequent qualifying campaigns. Actually if he knocks out England (with arguably a weaker team) he'd be seen as a good choice by the fans, surely? Plus has a rep for not talking nor talking sh!te, which is always a help when dealing with the English media. He is the best foreign choice, no doubts about it.

klein4
27/04/2006, 3:51 PM
correct me if I am wrong here but was he not very unpopular in portugal during last euro championship? came in for a lot of criticism in build up? no?
there werent really that many decent candidates tho and he has won a wc and runner up in euro.

Kingdom
27/04/2006, 4:02 PM
correct me if I am wrong here but was he not very unpopular in portugal during last euro championship? came in for a lot of criticism in build up? no?
there werent really that many decent candidates tho and he has won a wc and runner up in euro.

Think that was due to his partiallity towards Deco and not Rui Costa.

londonirish17
28/04/2006, 12:57 PM
Well I think it is a very decent choice, although M O'N would have been the better option.
Just wonder about his motivation. I'm maybe wrong but I can't getting rid of the impression that he is doing it for the money...

jbyrne
28/04/2006, 5:26 PM
think he's just ruled himself out

Over the post
28/04/2006, 5:28 PM
From the Guardian:
Scolari withdraws England job candidacy
By Ian Simpson
LISBON, April 28 (Reuters) - Portugal's Brazilian coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said on Friday he had withdrawn from the running to become England manager.
In a news conference televised from Portugal's World Cup training site in Germany, Scolari said his plans would be open after July 31 when his contract with the Portuguese Football Federation ran out. "There are 20 reporters outside my house now," he said. "If that is part of another culture, it is not part of my culture. I am not the coach, and will not be (England's) coach."
He said his decision was linked to his feelings for Portugal and the relentless media pressure since his name surfaced two days ago as a likely candidate to succeed Swede Sven-Goran Eriksson as England's manager.
England are looking to replace Eriksson, the country's first foreign manager, who will leave after the World Cup. Scolari's contract with Portugal expires after the finals in Germany.
FA chief executive Brian Barwick travelled to Lisbon on Wednesday for a meeting with Scolari which the Brazilian later described as "a simple talk, informal and with the consent of the Portuguese Football Federation."
The 57-year-old coach, who led Brazil to their 2002 World Cup triumph and took Portugal to the final of Euro 2004, knocking out England on both occasions, had become a surprise front-runner.
English favourite Steve McClaren of Middlesbrough, Charlton's Alan Curbishley and Bolton's Sam Allardyce, along with Northern Irishman Martin O'Neill, were early favourites -- and will now return to centre stage.
Media intrusion has frequently been a cause of complaint by Eriksson during his tenure.

You couldn't make it up :D

gustavo
28/04/2006, 5:30 PM
More Fool,'Big' Phil, if he takes over those non-entities.:eek:
If they are what you call non-entities then i wish to hell we were non-entities

Plastic Paddy
28/04/2006, 5:47 PM
It's hard not to feel a degree of schadenfreude over this debacle, although we were here ourselves not so very long ago. Maybe all the eejits who insist that the manager should be English will get their way instead.

:ball: PP

hamish
28/04/2006, 9:45 PM
Liked that bit about "not part of my culture". I bet there were tabloids crawling over very Favela in Brazil looking for some woman to do a tell all against Scolari.
How anyone would take the English job beats me.

dfx-
28/04/2006, 9:53 PM
I bet there were tabloids crawling over very Favela in Brazil looking for some woman to do a tell all against Scolari.

Since he's 'blamed' them, I'd say that's even more likely now...afterall is there anything worse than the British tabloids scorned..?

hamish
28/04/2006, 10:00 PM
Since he's 'blamed' them, I'd say that's even more likely now...afterall is there anything worse than the British tabloids scorned..?

Hmmmmmmmmmm** - so true dee eff ecks, it's getting the same over here too. Even France, where private affairs didn't end up in the media, has caught the virus as well.

**copyright dfx

geysir
30/04/2006, 12:50 PM
It's hard not to feel a degree of schadenfreude over this debacle, although we were here ourselves not so very long ago.

:ball: PP
I don't know if there is much of a comparison.
Delaney and co were not caught knocking on O'Neill's door cap in hand. Did not make an announcement that they were going to offer the job to someone who would reject the offer. Just the emergence of other jilted candidates from their bunkers after the Staunton announcement, finally admitting that they had no definite appointment. The FAI ( professionally or unprofessionally) set out their stall to focus on a suitable candidate with no interview process for prospective candidates re last process.
There may be better methods for the FAI to use but on the farce level there is very little comparison with the Scolari affair.

hamish
30/04/2006, 1:20 PM
I see McClaren is having his private life exposed before he even gets the job.:rolleyes:
The FA were very silly they way they conducted the whole shebang. Why the mad panic to get a manager before the World Cup anyway.?They should have formed their committee, drawn up a short list and said nothing to anyone about interviews and told any interviewees that if they bitched to the media about the process or made any comment at all - they were off the list. Period.
Musing by the FA officials in public about whether it would be an English or non English manager was insane and only fuelled the media bullsh!t. They should have said "no comment" to everyone, got on with the process in private and announce the new manager when they were finished.

Lionel Ritchie
01/05/2006, 8:00 PM
While the FA have handled everything dreadfully I think it's facinating that virtually everyone I saw or read on British TV yesterday stopped at blaming the FA alone.

No-one really examined what Scolari said was his reason for not taking what I believe I'm right in saying is the best paid managerial position in international football. It's like they don't want to mention the elephant in the living room -namely that their red top driven media believes that it holds the English team "in trust" or some sort of custodianship on behalf of the English people.

It's as if there's some sort of faustian pact there that dictates that this situation must just be accepted "as part of the game/job" and that it can never be challenged.