PDA

View Full Version : 2005/06 Premiership season review - Irish players

cavan_fan
26/04/2006, 8:01 PM
I know there are a couple of matches left in the premiership but this is the current list of irish appearances.

If you take 20 as a regular player then we only have 16 regular premiership players and this includes breen, cunningham and holland. To be fair carr and carsley, elliot would have probably hit 20 if not for injury.

The most worrying thing is that there are only 2 new players with more than 20 (joey o'brien and ireland). We need to rely on the old stagers for a while yet (e.g. O'Shea, Kavanagh) and hope we can get some of the Championship players through.

One last thing, when did Miller play for Man U this season?

given 36
keane 34 carr 17
kavanagh 33 kiely 16
breen 32 alex bruce 16
kilbane 32 Daryl Murphy 15
S Reid 32 elliot 15
finnan 31 a reid 11
o'shea 31 Kelly 8
cunningham 30 delap 6
dunne 29 mahon 6
lawrence 29 carsley 5
Andy O'Brien 29 roy keane 5
duff 25 painter 4
ireland 24 flood 3
Joey O'Brien 22 alan o'brien 3
holland 21 clive clarke 2
liam miller 1
clinton morrison1

Qwerty
27/04/2006, 1:20 AM
Brucey made 2 premiership starts and came on as a sub thrice.

Qwerty
27/04/2006, 1:23 AM
The most worrying thing is that there are only 2 new players with more than 20 (joey o'brien and ireland).

When was the last time we had two new Irish faces making more than 20 Premiership appearances? We're lucky if we have one a year.

Kevin77
27/04/2006, 9:30 AM
The positives this season have been

Stephen Reid ‘s improved form. Looked great as a youngster, had all the physical attributes but perhaps none of the luck required to be a top professional. The move to central midfield has allowed him to show off his full range of talents and rumours of a 6 million pound bid by Manchester United sum up how far he has come in the past 18 months.

Robbie Keane. So many people love to slag him off. Too lazy. Too petulant. Doesn’t score enough goals. Well 16 league goals so far this season despite warming the bench regularly before Christmas, the Irish scoring record, captain or Ireland and stand in captain at Spurs in Ledley King’s absence are all the realisation of the potential he showed as a teenager. Oh yeah, Spurs best finsh since the early 90’s and potential Champions league qualification doesn’t look too bad on the cv either.

Shay Given’s continued good form. World class and finally getting the recognition as he turns 30.

Kevin Doyle. Just as Elliot’s injuries have ruined his impact at the top level, Doyle has given us something to look forward to next year. A big plus for those that champion the domestic league in Ireland too.

Richard Dunne. Has built on last years consistency. Now one of Stuart Pearce’s mainstays and sure to be in the running for Man City captain if Distin leaves in the summer as expected.

Steve Finnan. Class. Extremely consistent.

And the young lads breaking through with Joey O’Brien at Bolton and Stephen Ireland at Man City figuring for a good chunk of the season.

NeilMcD
27/04/2006, 1:51 PM
Good Post Kevin Have to agree with everthing you have said there especially in relation to Robbie Keane.

Kingdom
27/04/2006, 3:08 PM
The positives this season have been

Steve Finnan. Class. Extremely consistent.

Very good point. Can't highlight enough how good this guy has been this season. Had a solid year last year and built on it and more this year. Cannot believe he didn't get the full back position on the team of the year. far superior to chimbonda in my opinion.

NeilMcD
27/04/2006, 3:21 PM
Yeah a disgrace that he did not get right back of the year.

cavan_fan
27/04/2006, 3:58 PM
Agree on many of these Kevin. Hope that Doyle is not going to repliacte Elliot's season. Although Elliot was injured a lot he didnt ever seem a premiership striker despite our optimism last summer.

I think there were 2 other pluses this season:

John O'Shea is a core part of a Man U team that but for Roman Abramovich would have won the league quite comfortably. I know he has never looked great for Ireland but we should be nurturing him. If Owen Garvan gets to this level I'll be delighted.

Graham Kavanagh has been vital to the Wigan team that have been amazingly succesful. I'd be looking at 2 of him, O'Shea and S Reid for our midfield. Again we dont have enought top level players to ignore him (nor Carsley in my opinion) over the next 2-3 years.

Dassa
27/04/2006, 5:44 PM
what the craic with finnan and his future with Liverpool,has he much left on his contract.

eirebhoy
27/04/2006, 5:53 PM
what the craic with finnan and his future with Liverpool,has he much left on his contract.
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=21906

stojkovic
01/05/2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah a disgrace that he did not get right back of the year.Finnan turned it down because the last time he was the Best Fullback in the Premiership he wasnt deemed good enough by a certain manager to play for Ireland (v Cameroon in WC2002).

livehead1
01/05/2006, 6:53 PM
i watched gary breen against arsenal today and i was impressed with him, stood out as their best player by a mile and put in some good tackles on henry, and even showed a bit of pace!

Murphy also played in the game, don't think he is premiership standard but put in some nice touches.

blobbyblob
02/05/2006, 11:03 AM
ON THE UP - BACKBONE OF NEXT CAMPAIGN

RIchard Dunne - Player of the season at his club

Robbie Keane - Player of the season at his club

Kevin Doyle - Player of the season at his club. Fan Championship player of the year, FAI U21 player of the year, Championship team of the year

Shay Given - Should get player of the year

Stephen Reid - A great season. Subject of summer transfer speculation

Steve Finnan - Most consistant player in Liverpool setup. V. Rarely has a poor game.

DANGER - SLIPPERY SLOPE

Duffer - In Irelands interest, he needs a move. His talents have been stiffled since moving to Chelsea.

John O Shea - Playing regularly but not setting the world on fire. Cant be expected to be a player to build your international squad around but will be a regular feature nonetheless.

Graham Kavanagh - Think that Kav has reached his peak. If Stan is planning for 4 years, he'll be looking elsewhere for his mainstay in midfield. Can still do a job though.

David Connolly - Once the great hope. Its just not going to happen for the chap. Ireland B candidate.

Stephen Carr - Never really came back to the standard he once set at Spurs pre his big injury.

Aidan McGeady - Seems to have been around for about 3 years now but hasnt gone on to take the game by storm yet. He is still very young so I'll reserve judgement for now.

FINGERS CROSSED
Joey O Brien - Great season. One swallow never made a summer though. Hopefully he can take this form into next season and onto the International stage

Stephen Ireland - Undoubted talent. Could be 2 years to early for him though.

Willo Flood - Willo did well this season at coventry despite injuries but could do with another full season at Premierdhip level.

Stephen Elliott - Really unfortunate with injuries this season. Cant see him moving from Sunderland but maybe another season in the Championship is what he needs for sharpness coming into this campaign

Clinton Morrison may get another bite at the Premiership. Hopefully he will take it.

cavan_fan
02/05/2006, 3:16 PM
Blobby, agree with muh of your analysis.

On Duff I wonder psot the Sweden game if itis possible long term for him to continue to play well fro us without doign it for Chelsea? Given his injury proneness it may be no bad thing he only plays for 50% of the time.

I believe O'Shea has found his level. I think he's a solid player and will probably continue to fit in. Will never dominate the team though.

My concern is our very low hit rate of young players. Flood, McGeady, Miller etc. The problem is this is so much outside our control. It seems clear to me that a number of Irish players are lacking a physical presence. Flood doesnt need to become Richard Dunne but compare him with say Robben or Cristiano Ronaldo. Same is true fo McGeady and I would worry about Steven Ireland on the same score.

Meanwhile saw today that Darren Potter is not to be offered a contract by Southampton. This just seems depressingly famiiliar in the Richie Partrdige vein.

On the plus side good to see some recognition for Clinton, I'd suggest he may just pip Doyle at the moment as Robbie's partner, similar scoring record this season.

Richard

blobbyblob
02/05/2006, 3:38 PM
It seems clear to me that a number of Irish players are lacking a physical presence. Flood doesnt need to become Richard Dunne but compare him with say Robben or Cristiano Ronaldo. Same is true fo McGeady and I would worry about Steven Ireland on the same score.

Good point, well made.

Looking back through the years at the more successful Irish side, you always had a bit of bulk and bite there to boss the opposition and it has always stood us in good stead. You might argue that that only worked in the days of the long ball but dont be under the misconception that those boys couldnt play football. And as Cavan rightly pointed out, it is something that is lacking in the current structure.

Put it this way. You're out on the lash in a hostile foreign country. Yourself and the boys get into a bit of bother with the local mob. You could say that Dunne and Kavanagh would be the two you could call on in a fight. Despite his stature, O Shea is like a pussy cat and despite his stature, Roy Keane is like a lion.

I dont think its something that you can instill in a team. You either have it or you dont. Sadly, I think its an element thats lacking in the current setup (albeit through nobodys fault).

Stuttgart88
02/05/2006, 4:01 PM
Although Elliot was injured a lot he didnt ever seem a premiership striker despite our optimism last summer. I think that's a harsh assessment myself. Blobbyblob's comment is fairer I think.

Was away last week but in a nutshell I agree with pretty much everything else. Robbie was excellent this season but Steven Reid was what I took most satisfaction from this year.

dr_peepee
02/05/2006, 9:46 PM
I don't think Duffs club form will impact his international form too much...

He's basically being stifled by Chelsea's approach and tactics, and has to go against his insitincts when in posession. So it's not like he's off the boil. He still know what he prefers to do with the ball at his feet. None of Chelseas wingers have had good seasons!! I think he'll enjoy the freedom he'll get playing for Ireland. By the same token I think he's more tactically aware now since his time at Chelsea and that may stand to us protecting a lead or whatever.

That's not to say I want him to stay mind you.

Stuttgart88
03/05/2006, 11:59 AM
Anyone know why Steven Reid was subbed last night? I saw 20 mins if first half and last 10 minutes of secon only. Not an injury I hope.

drummerboy
03/05/2006, 12:25 PM
Seemed to pull a muscle in his back.

blobbyblob
03/05/2006, 1:59 PM
He came out on the pitch at full time to applaud the fans and he started wincing once he broke into a jog going off. I wouldnt say it was too serious.

Blackburn being assured of European Football last night might convince him to stay where he is for another while. And he could do worse. Premiership football, european football and a decent manager. While theyre not that fashionable, Id prefer all our top choice players playing regularly at mid table premiership clubs rather than warming benches at glamour clubs. By the same token, Id rather them playing in the Championship rather than warming the bench in any premiership club.