PDA

View Full Version : Watch Ireland live in Ice Hockey

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 7:05 PM
We're playing Armenia at 9 in the World Championships. We should wallop them. There's instructions to watch it live here.

http://www.iiha.org/live_feed.html

pineapple stu
25/04/2006, 7:07 PM
Where?

superfrank
25/04/2006, 7:07 PM
Where??

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 7:12 PM
Are you two blind?;) ;)

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 7:19 PM
I have to laugh. Our manager (I think?) is talking about our first proper hockey rink being built in Dundalk. He's beaming with optimism and hoping how people will come and watch hockey and said "We're a great spectator nation".:D

Dassa
25/04/2006, 7:42 PM
Is the Ireland ice hockey team all Ireland or 26 county. Havent heard of NI team but know that the giants have had a few GB players in the past.

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 7:52 PM
Is the Ireland ice hockey team all Ireland or 26 county. Havent heard of NI team but know that the giants have had a few GB players in the past.

It's all Ireland. Sure the centre of Ice Hockey on this island is Belfast. As of right now there is not one hockey worthy rink in the Republic.

Aberdonian Stu
25/04/2006, 9:01 PM
Picture quality isn't great but is acceptable. They haven't said what the score is (2nd period underway) but we're losing.

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 9:09 PM
We're 3-0 down. It's a decent quality feed but impossible to see the puck. Armenia have a 5 on 3 powerplay. We're woeful.

Armenia have made massive strides in just one year.

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 9:10 PM
4-0 down now.:mad:

Aberdonian Stu
25/04/2006, 9:20 PM
Make that 5-0

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 9:36 PM
Discipline has been woeful. They're 3 on 5 for the second time. 6-0 down now.

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 10:33 PM
Lost 6-0. Armenia's first ever win and clean sheet. Last year we beat them 23-1.

CollegeTillIDie
26/04/2006, 6:45 AM
It's all Ireland. Sure the centre of Ice Hockey on this island is Belfast. As of right now there is not one hockey worthy rink in the Republic.
There isn't even an indecent one in the Republic that I am aware of.

CollegeTillIDie
26/04/2006, 6:49 AM
This team are all amateurs Dassa , where as the Giants are Pros.
There was a plan some years ago to try to compete in the professional International tournaments with a bunch of Canadians of Irish origin who had not played international for Canada. But I believe it would be better to develop from these amateurs over time to players worthy of playing for the Belfast Giants and then take it from there. If they want to develop the game by all means bring in these Canadians in to help coach new players, which is where they could really help the old country so to speak.

For the record players such as Theo Fleury would have been theoretically eligible for an Ireland team had he not played for Canada first. Irish grandparents I believe in Theo's case.The NHL has also in recent decades featured players such as Patrick Flatley and Brendan Shanahan who would also have had an eligibility to play for an all-Ireland set up.

superfrank
26/04/2006, 9:41 AM
For the record players such as Theo Fleury would have been theoretically eligible for an Ireland team had he not played for Canada first. Irish grandparents I believe in Theo's case.The NHL has also in recent decades featured players such as Patrick Flatley and Brendan Shanahan who would also have had an eligibility to play for an all-Ireland set up.
Just like Irish football. :rolleyes: But Canadian's are unbelievably good at ice hockey.

I really think there's some serious disciplinary problems, as PS pointed out, if there were two 5-3 powerplays. :(

Poor Student
26/04/2006, 9:48 AM
Just like Irish football. :rolleyes: But Canadian's are unbelievably good at ice hockey.

I really think there's some serious disciplinary problems, as PS pointed out, if there were two 5-3 powerplays. :(

The majority (i.e. over 50%) of players in the NHL are Canadian despite the fact that only 6 of the 30 NHL franchises are Canadian.

Two times we got a man sinbined (is that a word?) for having too many men on the ice. I haven't seen that happen in any NHL game I've watched and it didn't happen to Armenia. Seems like a real amateur mistake.

One of our coaches worked with the Philadelphia Flyers and is of Irish background from Boston.

For such a minority sport with little or no interest you really have to commend and admire the fact they the IIHF have got a live feed of decent quality with two commentators up online.:eek:

superfrank
26/04/2006, 12:27 PM
Two times we got a man sinbined (is that a word?) for having too many men on the ice. I haven't seen that happen in any NHL game I've watched and it didn't happen to Armenia. Seems like a real amateur mistake.
I think that's the rugby word. Too many men is an amateur mistake. Did it happen during the line changes?

I thought it might've been for fighting.

pineapple stu
26/04/2006, 12:35 PM
sinbined (is that a word?)
No, but sinbinned is.:)

Some swing from 23-1 to 0-6! Would have thought the former Soviet states would have been alright at ice hockey for some reason.

Aberdonian Stu
26/04/2006, 3:03 PM
Well some are. Kazakhstan, Belarus and Latvia are fringe top flight teams. Belarus produced the biggest shock of the professional era when they beat the red hot favourites Sweden 4-3 in the 2002 Olympic quarter finals.

The Swedes were comfortably ranked as top seeds entering the last eight while Belarus were eighth and well behind the seventh seeds. They missed out on a medal in the 3rd/4th playoff.

Poor Student
26/04/2006, 3:13 PM
No, but sinbinned is.:)

Some swing from 23-1 to 0-6!

I was reading on a forum that there is suspicion that the team is now made up of North Americans of Armenian descent or even players who don't qualify properly.

AS, I think you forgot to mention that former Soviet State, Russia.;) As far as I know, the Russian league is considered the best foreign league outside of North America?

Aberdonian Stu
26/04/2006, 3:48 PM
I most certainly did not forget to mention them, I deliberately excluded them as I assumed pineapple knew they were good.

They are traditionally THE powerhouse of ice hockey internationally although haven't been the same since the late nineties (when they messed up in the Olympic final against the Czechs) and the bulk of the former Soviet Union teams came from there.

Poor Student
26/04/2006, 7:48 PM
I most certainly did not forget to mention them, I deliberately excluded them as I assumed pineapple knew they were good.

I wasn't being serious AS.

Here's the link for Ireland v Iceland. It'll be on in a few mins. It should be a heavy defeat for us.

http://www.iiha.org/live_feed.html

Poor Student
26/04/2006, 8:40 PM
It's 0-0 after the first period. We've conceded a raft of penalties and been down to three men on two occasions but we've clung on. The defending and penalty killing have been good and the keeper's been in fine form but we've barely strung an offence together. It's good though as we were expecting to be hammered.

Poor Student
26/04/2006, 9:29 PM
3-0 down after the 2nd period. I missed the first goal but the second one was underhand and the third a powerplay goal. With all the offensive play it was only a matter of time before Iceland would score. Still, having lost 6-0 to Armenia, we're holding up pretty well.

Poor Student
26/04/2006, 10:22 PM
Lost 8-0. Conceded 5 in the third period. We lost 7-1 to them the last time we played them in 2004.

geysir
27/04/2006, 11:00 AM
We hammered the Irish yesterday 8-0. The place was pretty full with about 800 there. Turkey are the top team in this group and should win promotion before they get relegated next year, again.
Gluttons for punishment can watch even Luxemburg beat the Irish.
Couldn't appraise the skill on offer, just to stay on 2 feet on skates is an achievement for me.

Poor Student
29/04/2006, 9:49 AM
We drew 2-2 with Turkey and were leading until the final 2 minutes. Not bad considering they were playing a higher level last year.

Poor Student
29/04/2006, 5:09 PM
We're 2-0 up on Luxembourg after the 1st period.

Poor Student
29/04/2006, 6:47 PM
We've won 3-1. It's turned out to be our best ever campaign as we've claimed a record 3 points. Had Armenia not changed from whipping boys to decent team over one campaign then we'd have done quite well.

Aberdonian Stu
29/04/2006, 7:01 PM
So I'm guessing that means we've gone from effectively being worst in the world (having lost to the only team ranked below us) to somewhere slightly above that.

geysir
29/04/2006, 7:42 PM
I wouldn't get too excited by the point against Turkey as in reflecting a rise of standards.
Iceland will play full strength Turkey tonight for the gold medal. It should be an even enough game.
Armenia have 3 from the US with dual citizenship

Poor Student
29/04/2006, 8:36 PM
I wouldn't get too excited by the point against Turkey as in reflecting a rise of standards.

Why not? They got promoted in 2004 where they beat us 7-4. Either they have gotten worse or we've gotten better. Either way I'm happy we've lost one less game than previous campaigns.

CollegeTillIDie
29/04/2006, 8:40 PM
The majority (i.e. over 50%) of players in the NHL are Canadian despite the fact that only 6 of the 30 NHL franchises are Canadian.

One of our coaches worked with the Philadelphia Flyers and is of Irish background from Boston.

For such a minority sport with little or no interest you really have to commend and admire the fact they the IIHF have got a live feed of decent quality with two commentators up online.:eek:
Too many men on the ice does happen at a higher level of international than we are on occasion and the odd time in the NHL.
Ice Hockey is Canada's national sport. It should be no surprised that the greatest hurlers in the world are Irish now shouldn't it?
There used to be 8 franchises that were Canadian. Winnipeg Jets moved I think to Florida, and then before that Quebec Nordiques moved to Denver Colorado and became the Avalanche. The Avalanche is still a club with a French Canadian aura despite being in Colorado and they still have a few players who were with them in Quebec. The original NHL had 6 clubs right into the 1960's and two of the strongest ones were Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs, which are still going strong.

Given that one of our coaches used to work with the Philadelphia Flyers, I am not surprised we have so many in the sin bin.
The Philadelphia Flyers won two Stanley Cup in the mid 1970's and were the dirtiest teams to win the Cup ever.

geysir
30/04/2006, 10:13 AM
Iceland trashed Turkey 9-0 to maintain 100% record.
This ice hockey league defies previous form logic.
It had been even enough between these sides up until last night.

Dassa
01/05/2006, 7:33 PM
I heard talk afew years ago about Dublin getting an arena and entering team in the League that Belfast. Any truth in this or just rumours.

CollegeTillIDie
01/05/2006, 8:26 PM
Dassa

There's an Irish-American consortium led by former NHL player Patrick Flatley willing to bankroll a Dublin Ice Hockey team if a suitable venue is provided in the city.

Dassa
01/05/2006, 9:05 PM
realistic chances? who are they looking to provide this venue, will it have to be the size of the Odysey?

Na Chlairsigh
01/05/2006, 9:36 PM
If it is anything like the NHL, then I would imagine that they are looking for the city to provide the facility, and then just rent it for the duration of the season.

The only way I could see it happening is if the city council are playing to build a new multi-purpose arena, just like the Odessey. One that will be used for concerts, conventions and other events.

It would make sense for Dublin Corportation to build one, the Point is crumbling down, and the RDS is too small. I think it would be great to have a multi-purpose venue in the city, not just for hockey purposes, but it would also be a great economic boast to the area...........but Dublin being Dublin, I just can't see it happening.

Dassa
01/05/2006, 10:27 PM
well have to admit the oddysey has been a brilliant addition to Belfast.

CollegeTillIDie
01/05/2006, 10:52 PM
Dassa

There was a proposal to build an Odyssey sized facility which could double as some kind of conference centre in the Custom House Docks Area. It has yet to see the light of day.

Schumi
02/05/2006, 1:51 PM
If it is anything like the NHL, then I would imagine that they are looking for the city to provide the facility, and then just rent it for the duration of the season.
They'd have to be careful the gaa don't go to court to be allowed play there.