PDA

View Full Version : Monaghan United Notes April 25 2006

Magicme
25/04/2006, 4:20 PM
MONS DUN OVER (Courtesy of www.monaghanunited.ie)
Monaghan United were comprehensively beaten by Dundalk at Oriel Park on Thursday night. The Dundalk front pairing of Peter Hynes and former United striker Philip Hughes gave the United defence a torrid night, with each grabbing 2 goals.

Manager Mick Cooke had to plan without team captain and goalkeeper Robbie Horgan who was out with a leg injury sustained in the 0-0 draw versus Shamrock Rovers last week. Tadgh Murhpy took Horgan's place in goals, while Jimmy Fullam deputised as team captain. Also out was Jim Murphy who was still not back to full fitness, Barry Burke continued to deputise at right-back. Mick Cooke made one other change to his starting line-up, preferring Alan McNevin to David Lee upfront.

Dundalk had the opening chance when a Philip Hughes turn and shot from outside the area went narrowly wide.

United were behind after only 6 minutes. Eoghan O'Shea dispossessed Philip Hughes in the box, putting the ball out for a corner. The corner from the left was swung in, and an attempted clearance by a United defender went high into the air where it was headed into the path of the unmarked Peter Hynes by Simon Kelly and Hynes drove the ball home from close range.

4 minutes later and a United attack was broken down and Simon Kelly's long clearance fell for Hynes who's pace was enough to beat United's flimsy offside trap. Eoghan O'Shea looked to have done enough to force Hynes wide, but he allowed a space for the big Dundalk attacker to shoot and his low drive beat Tadgh Murphy at his near post from a tight angle.

Dundalk's third came on 15 minutes. This time it was Hughes who beat the offside trap. Murphy did well to save his initial shot, but the rebound was passed back into the path of Hughes who scored from close-range. On at least 2 other occasions in this half Dundalk easily beat United's offside trap, with Hughes denied once by Murphy and narrowly wide on another occasion.

As half-time approached, United had a chance when the ball fell to Alan McNevin in space from a throw-in on the right, but he hooked his left-footed shot to the right of the post.

Shane Harte takes a free-kick

The second-half started with United enjoying more possession, and Paul Smyth had a clear chance when he ran onto a through-ball with the Dundalk defence in disarray. However, he lifted his right-footed shot over the bar. Hughes got his second just before the hour mark. A kick-out from the goalkeeper was headed by Shane Harte straight to Paul Marney. Marney lifted the ball over the United defence into the path of Philip Hughes, who once again beat the offside trap. Tadgh Murphy hesitated before deciding to try to intercept the through-ball, and this made things easy for Hughes who lifted the ball over the head of the outrushing Murphy and into the back of the net.

Darren Sargent replaced the injured Eoghan O'Shea at centre-back, Stephen Finnegan came on for Shane Harte who had been doubtful before the game and Michael McCann replaced Brian Gannon as United tried to restore some pride. However, Dundalk continued to have chances as United pushed forward, with Hughes and David Hoey both having good efforts just off target, while the offside flag denied Dundalk several more opportunities. United had one chance when Paul Smyth and Kevin Cronin combined to fashion a chance for Alan McNevin, but he screwed his effort wide.

It was a disappointing performance from United, and one that Mick Cooke's men will have to put behind them and instead try to build on an otherwise good start to the season. The warning signs of an over-reliance on the offside flag were there to be seen in the home games against Galway United and Shamrock Rovers, but in Hughes and Hynes Dundalk had a front-pairing with the pace to exploit this. United will not have been helped by a lack of familiarity with the artificial pitch at Oriel Park, which was replenished with rubber fillings during the week. However, that is not an excuse and Dundalk were comfortable and deserved winners.

Monaghan United: Tadgh Murphy, Barry Burke, Eoghan O'Shea, Kevin Cronin, Eddie Keyes, Brian Gannon, Shane Harte, Jimmy Fullam, Paul Smyth, Alan McNevin, Robbie Smith.
Subs: Darren Sargent for O'Shea, Stephen Finnegan for Harte, Michael McCann for Gannon.

PLAYERS VIEW – by Tadgh Murphy
Shamrock Rovers were the visitors for my Debut game, one in which to be honest I didn’t expect to feature in, as Robbie Horgan had been ever present. Before the game, Mick named the team and I prepared for another game on the sideline. But as I found out later, it was not to be the case.
The game started quiet fast with both sides creating good chances and lads at the back keeping things tight. The huge travelling Rovers support created a great atmosphere and for me it was hard not being involved.

Early in the first half Horgie pulled off an excellent one handed save setting the standard (although I reckon it was for the Cameras-“Sorry Rob”). It gave the rest of the lads great confidence going into the half time 0-0 and on top of the game.

It wasn’t long after the restart when Robbie went down with a slight muscle tear at the back of his knee. I said good luck to the lads on the bench and replaced him after Mick gave me the nod. I was called into action before long, saving a one on one from Rovers striker Tadgh Purcell. Trying to keep the lads on their toes, Rovers piled on the pressure mid way through the second half. The highlight for me was around the 70th minute when Kev Cronin got nutmegged (again!). This left the Rovers winger time to cross the ball finding the head on of their number 10. Instantly I thought I was lobbed but I managed to keep it out. Things stayed the same for the rest with both sides holding out for a nil all draw.

We put it up to Shamrock Rovers keeping a clean sheet and creating a number of chances where Robbie Smith and Leeser coming close.

Dundalk were our next opponents last Thursday night. After playing well last week we had hoped to be going into this game with confidence. Robbie was out with his injury so I was happy to take over. I was a little nervous as it was my first competitive start since the last game of last season. But we have trained hard and felt up for it.

Oriel park with its artificial surface was the venue and it wasn’t to be memorable for me. Dundalk opened the scoring after 5 minutes with Peter Hynes tapping in a close range effort leaving me no chance at the back post. Instantly we hit back with an effort from Alan McNevin, but we saw his shot saved by the Dundalk Keeper. John Gill had his wide men playing a long ball tactic which to fair to the lads we were not used to. Peter Hynes beat the offside trap leaving me back peddling to my six yard box. With their other striker making the run to the back post I thought Hynes was going to play the ball back to him as I had my near post covered, but that was not to be the case. Just as he pulled the trigger for the cross he saw I had made up his mind for him and he calmly punished me with a strike to my near post that left me kicking myself and its not something I’m willing to accept. 2-0 and 15 minutes hadn’t yet gone by, it wasn’t to be our night. We felt very hard done by for the rest of the game as to us the linesmen seemed to have left their flags at home. Every time their strike force were off side the ref waived play on and this for a player can be very frustrating.

Once again it was a long ball over the top from their left full that put Philly Hughes through on goal. He laced the shot to my left which I managed to save but managed to sneak the rebound past me, although I got a hand to it wasn’t good enough. We ended the first half 3-0 down and not happy.

After half time we had to try harder to get ourselves into the game. We all knew what was at stake and tried hard to make things work. Barry Burke was trying to keep things going as he was very vocal. From this we managed to grow slightly in confidence and began to play better, keeping possession for a lot of the half. As a goalkeeper you can’t let your guard down and although we were not on top football wise, it was a long ball once again that split the defence, playing Philly Hughes through. Initially I halted, as to me he was clearly offside. Philly glided the ball over my head as I found myself off my line. 4-0 and this wasn’t our night.

We left Oriel thinking of what happened and what went wrong. Since then Mick has had us in training every night and training hard. We go into next weeks encounter against Athlone Town with Dundalk well out of our heads.

ATHLONE TOWN NEXT AT CHP
Monaghan United fans will be hoping that the team can but Thursday night’s disaster in Dundalk behind them when they face last year’s bottom team Athlone Town this Friday at Century Homes Park. Mick Cooke will be without injured Shane Harte (hamstring), Eoghan O’Shea (ribs) and possibly goalie Robbie Horgan. Local boys Jim Murphy and Paul Whelan will be back in the squad after their recent lay offs and Mick and the boys will be determined to put the ghost of Dundalk well and truly behind them. Kick off 8pm Friday. Come out and enjoy a good evening’s entertainment!

Magicme
25/04/2006, 4:21 PM
BOHEMIANS TIE FIXED FOR 9th MAY (Courtesy of www.monaghanunited.ie)
Monaghan United's League Cup 2nd Round tie versus Bohemians has been fixed for Century Homes Park on 9th May, kick off at 8pm. This is sure to be an attractive fixture, with Bohemians boasting a host of stars including player-manager former Ireland international Garreth Farrelly, Irish Under-21 star Stephen Ward and the teenage sensation John Paul Kelly. However, the Gypsies have not had the best of starts to this season and United will be hoping that they can make home advantage count and spring a surprise on the Premier Division side. The tie must be settled on the night with extra-time and penalties if required.

FINN HARPS MATCH REFIXED FOR 16th MAY
Monaghan United’s match against Finn Harps which was originally scheduled for 8th April 2006 but postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, has been rescheduled for Tuesday 16th May at Finn Park. Kick off will be at 8pm.

WOMENS TEAM IN INTER FOURTH (NORTH)
Monaghan United Women’s team have found out their competitors for their first season in the County Dublin League. United will be in the Fourth Division Northern Section with Albion Rovers (Drogheda), Drogheda United, Dundalk Women’s F.C. ‘B’, Parkvilla Ladies (Navan), Ratoath Harps and Trim Celtic. This will be where Monaghan get their taste of league football and the management team are fairly optimistic about their chances of doing well. The women will have 2 more friendlies before their league starts on 15th May. Fixtures will be announced soon.

SUMMER CAMP 2006
Monaghan United FC will be running their annual Summer Fun Soccer Camp starting on 3rd July to the 7th July at Century Homes Park and Astro Park. The summer camp is an important part of Monaghan United’s annual fundraising to provide great footballing facilities for everyone in the County. We would ask that all parents whose children play football at Monaghan United send their children to this camp to help ensure that your child has football in the future years.

CAR BOOT SALE
Don’t forget that Monaghan United FC now hold a monthly Car Boot Sale. The next sale takes place at Century Homes Park on Sunday 7th May from 10am. The cost of entering a Car is a measly €10 and a Van a pathetic €15. Come along and sell everything from books to baths! Get there early so you don’t miss the bargains.

WEBSITE
Wondering where you can find out all you need to know about Monaghan United FC? Want to keep up to date on the latest news and Schoolboy Match Reports? www.monaghanunited.ie is the place to go. Recently revamped with added features and easier access, Monaghan United FC are proud to have such an informative and comprehensive website.

Now there is even more to see with the new Women’s football section and the recent addition of an Online Shop for all your Monaghan United Merchandise.

So visit www.monaghanunited.ie and make sure you are kept in the picture.

GREG TURLEY SUITE AND BAGSTER LOUNGE
Having a party? Need somewhere for a meeting or conference? Monaghan United have the facilities you need. The Greg Turley Suite is perfect for meetings or conferences and when combined with the Bagster Lounge it provides the ideal setting for parties. The new Patio area with outside tables and bar-be-queing facilities adds another alternative to this versatile venue. Also remember the Bagster Lounge is open Monday to Sunday for a quiet drink or to watch sports on our big screen T.V.s. For further information and bookings contact Martin Kelly at 086 8937562.