PDA

View Full Version : International Amateur Team

Pages : [1] 2

Tipp Man 2
25/04/2006, 11:40 AM
seeminly smith is announcing the squad for up coming friendlies against Northern ireland and euro amateur champs Spain.. would be nice to see paul Breen from st Michaels and adrian walsh get in.. anyone think town have players that are good enough?? any comments

headerball
25/04/2006, 1:04 PM
seeminly smith is announcing the squad for up coming friendlies against Northern ireland and euro amateur champs Spain.. would be nice to see paul Breen from st Michaels and adrian walsh get in.. anyone think town have players that are good enough?? any comments

don't know of these players but i would assume that unless st micks are vying for national hons then james walsh will be the only inclusion.
lets face it there are numerous teams around the country who have so called good enough players capable of playing for the junior team but unless their respective teams are in the latter stages of the fai junior cup then they can only dream !

C.T.F.C
25/04/2006, 1:30 PM

i think adrian walsh is long overdue a call up. breen is progressing very well and if he continues it will surely only be a matter of time- a reccomendation from his defensive partner wouldnt do any harm. on that subjet i have seen St michaels a rew times this year and Walsh is not as dominant as he used to be- still fantastic in the air but i have seen him turned far to easily on the deck at times. Your thoughts? on the Town front the only player with the ability to play at that level is Barnes but he blows hot and cold too much. more consistency is needed before gerry smith will take a chance on him.

Fairkop
25/04/2006, 2:36 PM
don't know of these players but i would assume that unless st micks are vying for national hons then james walsh will be the only inclusion.
lets face it there are numerous teams around the country who have so called good enough players capable of playing for the junior team but unless their respective teams are in the latter stages of the fai junior cup then they can only dream !

JOE LAWLESS AND MARTIN GERAGHTY OF WESTPORT UTD.
ARE TWO FANTASTIC PLAYERS, WHO ARE BOTH VERY
CONSISTENT AND DESERVE A CALL UP.

drummerboy
25/04/2006, 3:13 PM
I know for a fact that the management team were at the Tolka Rovers v Carrigaline game last Sunday and were really impressed by a young player from Carrigaline, don't know his name though. Expect him to be in the panel. Anyone got any ideas.

manalishi
25/04/2006, 3:18 PM
JOE LAWLESS AND MARTIN GERAGHTY OF WESTPORT UTD.
ARE TWO FANTASTIC PLAYERS, WHO ARE BOTH VERY
CONSISTENT AND DESERVE A CALL UP.

Joe Lawless has played for the Junior team already so Smith Knows what he is like. Anyway..If it is the Amateur team that is been picked it will mostly be
players from the senior leagues...Only a few Junior players ever get picked for the Amateur squad.

The Gaffer
25/04/2006, 3:22 PM
I think the Waterford League should be in with a good shout of having a number of players on it.
Oscar traynor Cup Holders
Waterford Crystal getting into the FAI Junior Cup Final two years in a row
Carrick have been excellent in all competitions the last number of years
Then you have the likes otf Tramore, Southend, Bohs..........all have a numbers of excellent players in their squads

Tipp Man 2
25/04/2006, 3:31 PM
i think adrian walsh is long overdue a call up. breen is progressing very well and if he continues it will surely only be a matter of time- a reccomendation from his defensive partner wouldnt do any harm. on that subjet i have seen St michaels a rew times this year and Walsh is not as dominant as he used to be- still fantastic in the air but i have seen him turned far to easily on the deck at times. Your thoughts? on the Town front the only player with the ability to play at that level is Barnes but he blows hot and cold too much. more consistency is needed before gerry smith will take a chance on him.

fair point on james but i think at this stage it's motivation with him... he is a big game player... best player on pitch against carrick in semi when it mattered..Munster junior final last year as well.... he does it when he needs to i guess hence he is captain of junior and amateur.. by all accounts smith was down to see Barnes against castlebar and didn't think much..

Tipp Man 2
26/04/2006, 7:52 AM
I think the Waterford League should be in with a good shout of having a number of players on it.
Oscar traynor Cup Holders
Waterford Crystal getting into the FAI Junior Cup Final two years in a row
Carrick have been excellent in all competitions the last number of years
Then you have the likes otf Tramore, Southend, Bohs..........all have a numbers of excellent players in their squads

fair point... but is there any outstanding player...Adrian Walsh from carrick, Joe watson from crystal maybe after that im not sure.don't know enough about waterford footie, but i take your point on the league's success. amateur squad includes all the the leinster, Munster senior etc so its a tough squad.. quality all round

Tipp Man 2
26/04/2006, 7:55 AM
Joe Lawless has played for the Junior team already so Smith Knows what he is like. Anyway..If it is the Amateur team that is been picked it will mostly be
players from the senior leagues...Only a few Junior players ever get picked for the Amateur squad.

Thats correct.. only 3 Junior players went to poland last year for Euro finals. james walsh barry Flynn and Davy Conroy(keeper Ballymun).. 11 leinster senior and 4 Munster senior. Surely there is quality in the Junior leagues to have more.. any opionins?

Tipp Man 2
26/04/2006, 8:18 AM

agreed..any suggestions from your end?> any players you rate good enough...

Tipp Man 2
26/04/2006, 8:32 AM

manalishi
26/04/2006, 3:06 PM
When are these friendlies to take place.
When is the squad to be announced???

renovater
26/04/2006, 9:34 PM
I think it high time the boy smith got a road map and find his way to mayo and have another look at the players in Mayo even player from Celtic or Westport must be in with a shout or other super league clubs have the odd gem
now its not for me to start naming players but Iam sure the boy smith will find his way here.
when you leave the pale take the next sign that says the West.

swift
27/04/2006, 2:01 AM
I think it high time the boy smith got a road map and find his way to mayo and have another look at the players in Mayo even player from Celtic or Westport must be in with a shout or other super league clubs have the odd gem
now its not for me to start naming players but Iam sure the boy smith will find his way here.
when you leave the pale take the next sign that says the West.

I dont believe it but you are 100% correct renovator

headerball
27/04/2006, 8:35 AM

from a limerick pint of view i don't think anyone sticks out at the moment.
the 3 lads that were with fairview are gone to limerick so they are out of the equation !
as i said already when you reach at least the last four of the junior cup you have a chance of getting capped.
it happend when balla got there a few years i think at least one of their players got a few caps !

lim abroad
27/04/2006, 12:45 PM
ya,that player from balla is damien leo

Thunderblaster
01/05/2006, 11:50 PM
I don't think that Gerry Smith will be settling down to a mug of tea to log onto www.foot.ie to check out the mood of the nation as to how his squads are going to be picked.

bigball
02/05/2006, 7:54 AM
did anyone catch the eye from the celtic athenry game?? anyone at it? what do u think..........anyone good enough?

stephen07
02/05/2006, 9:05 AM
Heard new's of Paul Breen from St.Michael's in Tipperary getting called up to the Irish squad...congratulation's well overdue has been performing very strong and consistently so very well done, a great boost for munster junior soccer..

manalishi
02/05/2006, 9:35 AM
Heard new's of Paul Breen from St.Michael's in Tipperary getting called up to the Irish squad...congratulation's well overdue has been performing very strong and consistently so very well done, a great boost for munster junior soccer..

Do you have the squad

Tipp Man 2
02/05/2006, 1:54 PM
Do you have the squad

seemingly a squad of 40 announced to be used between 3 international friendlies at end of month/ start of June.. NorthernIreland away, Spain at home and San Marino away... he'll then during the summer pick a squad of 18 for euro qualifiers in france in september.. seemingly 4 from waterford(hearne mc sharry and 2 others) 2 from tipp(walsh Breen) walsh is captain.... don't have full squad... 7 from munster senior. when i have full details i'll post

The Gaffer
03/05/2006, 7:02 AM
Congrads to all the lads from Waterford who got called up, especially Derek Hearne & Robbie Butler from Crystal.

Tipp Man 2
08/05/2006, 10:35 AM
Congrads to all the lads from Waterford who got called up, especially Derek Hearne & Robbie Butler from Crystal.

Ian Cherry, Tony Doyle [Belgrove F.C.]; Cathal Carroll [Bangor F.C.];Andy
Fitzsimons, James Mc Dermott, Michael Keogh [Killester Utd];John
Carroll,Gavin
Quinn [St. Kevins Boys]; John Lawlor, Ray Whelehan,Alan Corcoran [Malahide
Utd];Damien O' Neill, Pat Kavanagh,Ian Callaghan, John O' Neill, [Wayside
Cel];Chris Barber [WTFA];Gary Crowley [Glenmore/Dundrum];Keith Kirwan
[Baldoyle
Utd];Daniel Loughran,Paul Mc Cabe, [Crumlin Utd];Michael Grainger [New Ross
Cel];Trevor Bowers[Coill Dubh],David Lacey [Valley Park Utd];Joe Lawless
[Westport Utd];Stephen Ryan [Castlebar Cel];Paddy Quinn [Athenry
F.C.];Patrick
Patton [Fanad Utd];Ben Spicer [Aishling/Annacotty];Adrian Walsh,Adam Mc
Sharry
[Carrick Utd];Derek Hearne, Robbie Butler [Waterford Crystal];Brendan O'
Connell
[UCC];James Walsh, Paul Breen [St. Michaels];Ken Howie, Alan Weldon
[Rockmount];Ray O' Leary [Blarney Utd];Danny Kelly [Carrigaline Utd];David
O'
Keeffe,Mark O' Sullivan,Andrew Knowles[Avondale Utd.];Declan O' Connell
[Douglas
Hall F.C.]; David Wall [Shannon Newtown F.C.].***

full squad..seems to be a big mix.. panel will be wittled down to 18 for finals

cooee
08/05/2006, 12:33 PM
Congrats to Paddy Quinn from Athenry for getting a call up. He is the first player from the club to get recognised at this level.
This is a great boost for all of the club!

headerball
08/05/2006, 2:25 PM
Congrats to Paddy Quinn from Athenry for getting a call up. He is the first player from the club to get recognised at this level.
This is a great boost for all of the club!

as i stated previously, when you club gets to latter stages of the fai then your top players get recognition, unless you do its very hard to get recognised.
im sure that young breen from st micks is a fine player but i would think that master walsh has used a small bit of influence there and if so fair dues as outside the smoke players need all the help they can get !

Tipp Man 2
09/05/2006, 7:16 AM
as i stated previously, when you club gets to latter stages of the fai then your top players get recognition, unless you do its very hard to get recognised.
im sure that young breen from st micks is a fine player but i would think that master walsh has used a small bit of influence there and if so fair dues as outside the smoke players need all the help they can get !

and why not if he did....as far as i can see if its a 50-50 between a country lad and a dub then the dub wins hands down all times ..Id even say 60-40. As far using players only from latter stages of FAI.. St Micks won munster Junior last year(next biggest to FAI from a munster perspective) and are again in the final this year so that will have helped.you are right he is a fine player but a bit raw(not the polished article James is) but he will learn and improve

drummerboy
09/05/2006, 8:07 AM
Agree with the theory of Club recognition if they reach latter stages of FAI cup. My local club, Drumcondra, reached the 3rd round a couple of years ago, and two of their players Shanley and Connolly both won caps that year.

Tipp Man 2
09/05/2006, 10:57 AM
Agree with the theory of Club recognition if they reach latter stages of FAI cup. My local club, Drumcondra, reached the 3rd round a couple of years ago, and two of their players Shanley and Connolly both won caps that year.

no your wrong.... Drumcondra were managed by Jimmy fagan at the time and jimmy is assistant to gerry Smith.. i'll let you put 2+2 together.....

bigball
09/05/2006, 11:19 AM
surely the oscar traynor games and other inter league games would be the best place to spot talent. it mite also encourage more players to make themselves available for these teams. saying that in some leagues the oscar traynor selection processes are unbelievable biased.

question: are players who have played League Of Ireland eligible for this team?

drummerboy
09/05/2006, 11:54 AM
no your wrong.... Drumcondra were managed by Jimmy fagan at the time and jimmy is assistant to gerry Smith.. i'll let you put 2+2 together.....

It doesn't take away the fact that Drumcondra were the last non-league team in the FAI cup that year, and wouldn't have achieved it without decent players. Get the chip off your shoulder mate.

The Gaffer
10/05/2006, 8:20 AM
question: are players who have played League Of Ireland eligible for this team?[/QUOTE]
No I dont think so, if you have played LOI you cannot not play in this squad

jimhacker
10/05/2006, 8:51 AM
I know for a fact that the management team were at the Tolka Rovers v Carrigaline game last Sunday and were really impressed by a young player from Carrigaline, don't know his name though. Expect him to be in the panel. Anyone got any ideas.

Yes, his name is Danny Kelly, aged 19/20 and he was the difference between the sides that day.

Couldn't be sure but he must be close to being the leading scorer in this year's Intermediate Cup.

Local scout
11/05/2006, 7:38 AM
Carroll,Gavin
[Baldoyle
F.C.];Patrick
Sharry
Connell
O'
[Douglas

Nice to see a couple of lads from mayo involved after the counties sucess in junior cup in recent times.

old boy
11/05/2006, 7:55 AM
Carroll,Gavin
[Baldoyle
F.C.];Patrick
Sharry
Connell
O'
[Douglas

congratulations to davy wall newtown f.c.
a great boost for newtown & clare league :D

gnasher
11/05/2006, 10:39 AM
Congrats to Joe 'Flawless' Lawless of Westport Utd on making the squad two years running.

lim abroad
11/05/2006, 12:37 PM
has barry flynn packed it in??

Tipp Man 2
11/05/2006, 1:03 PM
has barry flynn packed it in??

he's retired as has Keith Bruen from International duty both 35... 2 quality players and what career's they had.

Thunderblaster
14/05/2006, 8:30 PM
Ireland are playing NI in Bellurgan on the 27th May, Spain in Tolka Park on the 3rd June and San Marino away on the 10th June. Plenty of drama to unfold over the next couple of weeks.

markydo1
16/05/2006, 10:25 AM
yeh, if ya played in the league of ireland u are inelligible to play,,
the 2 crystal strikers were picked, but cant play.,

shelbourne1904
26/05/2006, 12:57 PM
Good Luck to the team tomorrow.Is there a big crowd expected??

Surely it would be a good idea to have these internationals played in towns where it would create a stir,especially if there was a local involved.I know this would be a big draw in Clare???

No disrespect to Bellurgan or their smashing facility but is there much of a poulation there??

Thunderblaster
27/05/2006, 9:03 PM
I was at the game. Republic won 2-0 and were the better team though Northern Ireland caused some problems in the second half. Bellurgan United have wonderful facilities. Pitch, clubhouse, astroturf, training ground, the national school next door and a Texaco filling station with shop and off licence across the road. Disappointed with the crowd-about 100 turned out, nearly all from the locality and about half were children. Poor from from the representative clubs and family members of the players bar a family from Donegal. I would like to thank Tony from Bellurgan United for dropping me off at Dundalk Railway Station after the game.:ball: At least it was a chance to see international football free of charge!!:D

Tipp Man 2
29/05/2006, 9:30 AM
I was at the game. Republic won 2-0 and were the better team though Northern Ireland caused some problems in the second half. Bellurgan United have wonderful facilities. Pitch, clubhouse, astroturf, training ground, the national school next door and a Texaco filling station with shop and off licence across the road. Disappointed with the crowd-about 100 turned out, nearly all from the locality and about half were children. Poor from from the representative clubs and family members of the players bar a family from Donegal. I would like to thank Tony from Bellurgan United for dropping me off at Dundalk Railway Station after the game.:ball: At least it was a chance to see international football free of charge!!:D

any match details?? who played well..who scored..who looks like they'll make final panel..game v spain( euro champs)this week is in Tolka park at 5 free admission... lets all try get to it and support the boys in green

Thunderblaster
29/05/2006, 6:59 PM
any match details?? who played well..who scored..who looks like they'll make final panel..game v spain( euro champs)this week is in Tolka park at 5 free admission... lets all try get to it and support the boys in green

Impossible to give match details as there was no match programme or a PA system in place, bar the fact that the Republic were the better side and payed some neat, tidy football. There were five changes at half time and more substitutions as the second half wore on. One lad that impressed me was the No.13. If there were names, it would be a help. There should be a report on Target on The Star tomorrow.

Local scout
30/05/2006, 7:18 AM
Impossible to give match details as there was no match programme or a PA system in place, bar the fact that the Republic were the better side and payed some neat, tidy football. There were five changes at half time and more substitutions as the second half wore on. One lad that impressed me was the No.13. If there were names, it would be a help. There should be a report on Target on The Star tomorrow.

Did any off the Mayo lads get a game? how did they play?

swinfordfc
30/05/2006, 10:54 AM
Only Joe Lawless play

Thunderblaster
30/05/2006, 11:04 PM
Did any off the Mayo lads get a game? how did they play?

Joe Lawless played the first half. Did reasonable enough, got plenty of the ball and had a couple of ropey moments. At that level, both your first and second touch are important, you need to get it right if you have got to have a chance at that level.

Tipp Man 2
31/05/2006, 8:47 AM
Joe Lawless played the first half. Did reasonable enough, got plenty of the ball and had a couple of ropey moments. At that level, both your first and second touch are important, you need to get it right if you have got to have a chance at that level.

joe and stephen ? from castlebar in the squad for game this wekkend..let all try make it to tolka for 5 against spain this weekend and give the lads and everyone involved athe support they deserve.

hoops12
02/06/2006, 12:00 AM
from a limerick pint of view i don't think anyone sticks out at the moment.
the 3 lads that were with fairview are gone to limerick so they are out of the equation !
as i said already when you reach at least the last four of the junior cup you have a chance of getting capped.
it happend when balla got there a few years i think at least one of their players got a few caps !

i think colm enright with pike rovers is well over due a chance he has been consistently the best centre half in limerick for close on 6 years now and gets his fair share of goals aswel and also gordon stewart of carew park is surely among the top 3 goalkeepers in the country

Raheny Red
02/06/2006, 12:11 AM
FROM SHELSWEB (http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=5956) :) :ball: :)