PDA

View Full Version : di Stefano

bigmac
25/04/2006, 10:56 AM
Mentioned in the paper today that Waterford Utd approached him about a takeover, but also suggested that Drogheda had been in touch with him as well. Anybody hear anything about this? Seems a strange move if it's true.

Raheny Red
25/04/2006, 11:19 AM
Why not? If the man is going to give his money and is not going to get a stake in the club then what is wrong with that! If I was on a board of an eL club I would get in touch with him.

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 11:21 AM
Why not? If the man is going to give his money and is not going to get a stake in the club then what is wrong with that!

I wouldn't fancy getting involved in money laundering myself.

bigmac
25/04/2006, 11:31 AM
Why not? If the man is going to give his money and is not going to get a stake in the club then what is wrong with that! If I was on a board of an eL club I would get in touch with him.

Firstly I doubt that anyone anywhere would pump money into a club without a stake. Secondly, given Drogs success over the past year or so, surely they have sufficient resources to continue without touting for new investors, especially ones with such a chequered history.

marktis
25/04/2006, 11:38 AM
He appears to be a very shady character and I would say that any club taking this man on board would end up regretting it.
Just look at Dundee, formerly of the Scotish Premier now languishing towards the wrong end of the first division.

Raheny Red
25/04/2006, 11:42 AM
Firstly I doubt that anyone anywhere would pump money into a club without a stake.

Very true that, but once he doesn't get a major stake. I would doubt very much that Drogheda will go near him but Waterford would go after him at a drop of a hat.

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 11:45 AM
Very true that, but once he doesn't get a major stake. I would doubt very much that Drogheda will go near him but Waterford would go after him at a drop of a hat.

Hello? Willing to invest money for no stake, highly dubious friends and a criminal background? Money laundering.

higgins
25/04/2006, 12:42 PM

Have you read any of the papers over the past week ?

Raheny Red
25/04/2006, 1:21 PM
Yes, I have - what I meant was if I was in a position like Waterford I'd bite his hands off which I reckon will happen!

ConfusedBlue
25/04/2006, 1:59 PM
Yes, I have - what I meant was if I was in a position like Waterford I'd bite his hands off which I reckon will happen!

Well good old Ollie seemed happy enough to be meeting with him last week until all the furore about his shady past came to light,but sure as they say Birds of a feather flock together!!!

WUFC's management committee have worked tirelessly over the past 1&1/2 years to place the club in a sound financial condition (unlike some I could mention),cutting costs,putting strict budgets in place,etc to ensure our famous clubs future is secure.Why now would they erase all their hard work by accepting this dubious characters overture's?

Before you talk about other clubs positions,ensure you know the full facts!!

BTW where exactly did Ollie get the cash to stump up for your clubs tax debt?Seems strange to me that he had negotiaited a deal to pay it off in part payments but was able to stump up the entire sum the minute the media caught wind of it!?!

Vassa
25/04/2006, 2:35 PM
I read that as well, but that it was Waterford and Longford that had made enquiries and not the Drogs. It's all mad if you ask me. I would be wary of getting money from anyone like that, although I'm sure the money would be more than useful!

Maybe he's gonna take over all four clubs! Maybe he's taking over the league! :p

Pauro 76
25/04/2006, 2:47 PM
I read that as well, but that it was Waterford and Longford that had made enquiries and not the Drogs. It's all mad if you ask me. I would be wary of getting money from anyone like that, although I'm sure the money would be more than useful!

Maybe he's gonna take over all four clubs! Maybe he's taking over the league! :p

Longford? this is getting out of control. But maybe this man could put us on the map! Or wipe us off it for that matter... :o

ndrog
25/04/2006, 2:55 PM
from Drogs website ...

The Sports section of today's IRISH TIMES includes an article entitled "Shelbourne pull the plug". The article refers to recent media speculation that Italian business man Giovanni De Steffano and his attempts to invest in Irish Football.

Included in the article is a reference to Drogheda United which alleges that Mr De Steffano has had preliminary talks with a view to investing in the recently crowned all Ireland champions.

Drogheda United FC categorically deny that there has been contact with Mt de Steffano or any of his representatives.

The Club Chairman Vincent Hoey, who spoke to droghedaunited.ie, said that neither he or his fellow directors have ever spoken to this individual and that in any case Drogheda United Football club is not for sale.

Dodge
25/04/2006, 3:19 PM
Fair play Drogs. Good clear stance there.

Celdrog
25/04/2006, 6:11 PM
from Drogs website ...

The Club Chairman Vincent Hoey, who spoke to droghedaunited.ie, said that neither he or his fellow directors have ever spoken to this individual and that in any case Drogheda United Football club is not for sale.

Good man Vincent. After 40 odd years he deserves his success. He is Mr Drogheda United.

thejollyrodger
25/04/2006, 7:15 PM
To be honest I wont mind too much if another club takes di stefano's money because it will take that monkey off Shels back ! !

Mr A
25/04/2006, 9:06 PM
Longford? this is getting out of control. But maybe this man could put us on the map! Or wipe us off it for that matter...

Make up your mind man, are you on the map or not!

Raheny Red
25/04/2006, 11:42 PM
Make up your mind man, are you on the map or not!

Sure Longford is the back of beyond*

*In the voice of the bloke off the Guiness advertisement.

Roverstillidie
26/04/2006, 12:16 AM
To be honest I wont mind too much if another club takes di stefano's money because it will take that monkey off Shels back ! !

the monkey of being the only irish club with a convicted criminal who has served time in charge?

the monkey of being accused of money laundering?

the monkey of having CAB sniff around your club?

the monkey of having an overweight thug in charge?

please, elaborate

thejollyrodger
26/04/2006, 8:49 AM
the monkey about shels being the only club intrested in money and financial backing. The hypocrisy is sickening.

Roverstillidie
26/04/2006, 6:13 PM
the monkey about shels being the only club intrested in money and financial backing. The hypocrisy is sickening.

that statement is too bizarre to even start trying to figure out.

dahamsta
27/04/2006, 3:10 PM
Worth reading about this chancer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_di_Stefano

He featured in The Phoenix recently too.

soccerc
27/04/2006, 3:20 PM
Worth reading about this chancer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_di_Stefano

He featured in The Phoenix recently too.

For an even better laugh see his diary (http://www.studiolegaleinternazionale.com/blogHome.php4?PHPSESSID) here

Just click on above link and have a good chuckle

TonyD
27/04/2006, 7:44 PM
Maybe I have this wrong, but didn't the announcement of Di Stefano's prospective meeting with Shels first feature on the Shels website ? Then Ollie, in his open letter to the Ron Moody lookalike, claimed to be pulling out of the meeting because Di Stefano had leaked details to the press :confused: :confused:

Gareth
27/04/2006, 7:47 PM
Maybe I have this wrong, but didn't the announcement of Di Stefano's prospective meeting with Shels first feature on the Shels website ? Then Ollie, in his open letter to the Ron Moody lookalike, claimed to be pulling out of the meeting because Di Stefano had leaked details to the press :confused: :confused:

The website news item was posted after Di Stefano went ot the media, so yes you are wrong.

TonyD
27/04/2006, 7:56 PM
Jésus Gareth, that was quick. Fair enough though, was only asking:p

Gareth
28/04/2006, 9:15 AM
No problem asking. I was just pointing out the error in the comment. The Mirror were the first to break the story. It was subsequently on RTE Radio and then other news bulletins.

Eitherway, I think we handled it correctly.

Dodge
28/04/2006, 9:18 AM
Eitherway, I think we handled it correctly.
Did you check with your club before posting the news item?

joeSoap
28/04/2006, 9:33 AM
This man is a parasite. living off publicity scraps. He will never ever invest a cent in Irish football, simply because I'd say he has very little money. I imagine he talks it up big, and probably lives off his notoriety and rather large lines of credit. He is a scam artist, nothing more, and any Irish football club that touches him will seriously rue the day it ever did.

Roverstillidie
28/04/2006, 10:18 AM
Did you check with your club before posting the news item?

its rare i defend oily, but how else could/should he have handled this?

Roverstillidie
28/04/2006, 10:25 AM
For an even better laugh see his diary (http://www.studiolegaleinternazionale.com/blogHome.php4?PHPSESSID) here

Just click on above link and have a good chuckle

DROGHEDA FC
27 April 2006: Just so its crystal clear. i have no idea where the story came from that was in the papers but I have NEVER had a single second of talks with the above club and have NEVER expressed the slightest of interest. I had never even heard of them before the story came out in the newspapers. I note they were quick though to jump on the bandwagon and make an official statement confirming what I have just said. What was the point? As I said I had never even heard of them before the story was in one of the irish papers. I guess the next stupidity will be that I want to take over Manchester United! Well, Mr Glazier (he is actually a nice guy) got it for nothing maybe I should try? I do wish the press though would be a little responsible. I have never spoken to Drogheda, have no interest in them, and although I have never heard of them, wish them all the best!DROGHEDA FC

i like this guy :D

bluemovie
28/04/2006, 10:38 AM
i like this guy :D

Big surprise there - a Rovers fan admits to liking a fascist with a criminal record.

Dodge
28/04/2006, 10:40 AM
its rare i defend oily, but how else could/should he have handled this?
I was asking Gareth did he check with Ollie to see if there was meeting planned before putting on the website, as opposed to reacting to the item in the #papers

Jerry The Saint
28/04/2006, 11:12 AM
What a character :eek: - just skimming through his diary he covers his involvement with the following:

Ronnie Biggs
Tariq Aziz
John Prescott
Lord Justice Rose the Deputy Chief Justice of the Court of Appeal Criminal Division in london
John Gilligan
Drogheda FC
Patrick 'Dutchy' Holland
Steve Collins
Wow!!! That is all I will say. keep checking the website! You just know Steve's brother was sniffing around that meeting! ;)
Prince Vittorio Emmanuele (the legal King of Italy according to di Stefano)
John 'Goldfinger' Palmer
Nick van Hoogstraten
Dec and Con Cluskey part of The Bachelors.
Roy Keane
Lee Sharpe
Ollie Byrne

And that's all within the past week! How many people can claim that?

He mentions an Irish Independent article:

read the article by JUSTINE McCARTHY called GUILTY ON MULTIPLE COUNTS OF ARROGANCE. Thank the heavens for a brilliant journalist that is not afraid of the truth. I send Justine my hearty congratulations. She has added me as a fan!

Any mention of Shels in this, I didn't see it?

NY Hoop
28/04/2006, 11:18 AM
Big surprise there - a Rovers fan admits to liking a fascist with a criminal record.

Obviously you missed the smilie. Also lose the chip

KOH

dahamsta
28/04/2006, 12:09 PM
Knock it on the head, both of you.

Gareth
28/04/2006, 6:00 PM
I was asking Gareth did he check with Ollie to see if there was meeting planned before putting on the website, as opposed to reacting to the item in the #papers

It was a club statement sanctioned by the club? Am I missing your point here?

Roverstillidie
28/04/2006, 9:56 PM
It was a club statement sanctioned by the club? Am I missing your point here?

i must admit im confused too. are you implying gareth decided to deny the story on his own bat?

the official shels site reacted to a media story about shels. whoopedyfúckingdo

Dodge
29/04/2006, 12:51 AM
*sigh*

I was implying nothing. I asked a simple question which gareth answered.

Job done, carry on...

Celdrog
29/04/2006, 4:21 AM
DROGHEDA FC
I have never spoken to Drogheda, have no interest in them,

Thank God for that

Gareth
29/04/2006, 9:00 AM
*sigh*

I was implying nothing. I asked a simple question which gareth answered.

Job done, carry on...

Fair enough. It just read very badly , as thou you were implying something. Eitherway, we used our official site to relay the reaction of the board to a situation of interest to many people. No harm in that. Its what the site is partly there to do.

CollegeTillIDie
01/05/2006, 9:27 PM
Well I predict that if any EL club accepts Di Stefano's money they won't be in business within 5 years.... look at the mess he made at Dens Park.....