PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup looks way forward for Irish game

thejollyrodger
25/04/2006, 7:19 AM
Setanta Cup looks way forward for Irish game
Emmet Malone

On Soccer: It remains to be seen how the Setanta Sports Cup might evolve into a larger all Ireland competition occupying a much more central place in the island's football calendar, but the observation by the broadcaster's senior executive, Niall Cogley, yesterday that the company would regard the tournament as "a failure" if it "does not turn out to be the precursor for something bigger and better," gives an indication of how those closely involved with the event see it moving forward.

Leading clubs on both sides of the border have given strong indications that they see a thriving 32-county competition as central to the development of the game here while supporters of the main northern teams, who might have been regarded as the party least likely to be enthusiastic about an all Ireland competition such as this, would appear to have embraced the concept too.

This year's event represented, in almost every way, a significant step forward over the inaugural running of the competition with the expansion of the group stages and addition of semi-finals bringing better balance and a more measured sense of progression to the tournament.

The failure of the northern sides to make the final was a setback and there is a fear that if it became the norm to have two southern teams contest the decider then interest would start to wane on the other side of the border.

More significant, though, was the failure of the fourth Irish League side in this season's competition, Dungannon Swifts, to take even a single point from four games against southern opposition. True, the two teams happened to both end up in the final but the inability of the debutants to make any sort of impact on this front served to highlight the desperate lack of depth in a league where talent, just as much as cash, is terribly overstretched.

Having convincingly won the competition last year, Linfield again performed strongly this time around with David Jeffrey's side topping what looked by far the tougher of two qualifying groups. Last year's defeat of Shelbourne tipped the overall balance of results of games involving teams from opposite sides of the border in favour of the Irish League - they had been identical before the final - but in recent weeks it has been a very different story with sides from the National League winning 10 and drawing five of 17 cross border clashes.

Dungannon were the weakest link from a northern point of view but their presence was no fluke, they look certain to clinch fourth place in the premier division for the second successive year and, with it, a place in next year's competition.

Portadown did manage draws in their home games with Cork and Drogheda but still finished below Swifts in the table, fully seven points off second placed United with just three. In the other group even Glentoran looked distinctly ordinary, with Derry's costly inability to score at the Oval against a side that conceded an average of more than three goals a game in their other Setanta outings still something of a mystery.

The imbalance is of some concern to anyone who sees the event developing over time into an all Ireland competition. Broad agreement would be required on both sides of the border that it is the way to proceed and if the north's representation looks set to be reduced to just two or three within a matter of a few seasons then it would be a hard sell for Irish League clubs.

Already there has been talk in some quarters of further expansion with Scottish teams being invited to take part and Cogley says that Setanta, who are happy with the viewing figures (93,000 watched Saturday's final), are pleased to see a "radical approach" taken to the development of the competition even if, he says, such a leap might be a couple of years off yet.

Still, if the competition really is to act as a major stepping stone for the development of the game here then a period of bedding down the present format may be a preferable route forward.

The simple fact is that for an island of five million people to have 28 "top flight" teams is ludicrous when the game here must compete with blanket television coverage of a 20-club Premiership league which doesn't make any attempt to restrict itself to England's 50-million strong population as a source for players.

The number of teams here is close to the number of counties competing in the Gaelic football championship each year. Logic would suggest that with more people playing soccer than football at grass roots level, soccer-coaching methods having developed across Europe and the world and a growing number of soccer players here getting the opportunity to play on a full-time basis, the standard within the league is, allowing for a hundred or so of the most talented players being removed at an early age to Britain, at least as high as at inter-county football level. What is different is that your average Gaelic game is not routinely compared unfavourably with matches involving the cream of talent from across Europe.

Such is the inevitable downside of having an international aspect to your game, but if Irish clubs are really to win the many sceptics over then they must, as rugby has done recently through the development of the Celtic League and European Cup, at least start to address the numbers issue and concentrate the game's talent.

After a successful if not quite triumphant second year, the Setanta Cup, in whatever precise form it assumes over the next few years, certainly looks to be the best available route forward just now.

© The Irish Times
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/sport/2006/0425/1139859457SP1EMMET.html

BohDiddley
25/04/2006, 9:58 AM
'What is different is that your average Gaelic game is not routinely compared unfavourably with matches involving the cream of talent from across Europe.'

You don't say, Emmet. :D
Is that the only difference?

bigmac
25/04/2006, 10:47 AM
Decent article - yes it's all been said before, but for non-EL fans it's a decent summary of where the competition is at.

dcfcsteve
25/04/2006, 11:30 AM
Interesting point that the EL is arguably of a similar standrad to inter-county rugby.

It's apples and oranges, but a challenging respionse to any knockers of our game. It's probably fair to say that the technical ability and fitness of the EL is at least on a par with the amateur gaelic games.

Raheny Red
25/04/2006, 11:46 AM
So 93,000 watched the final - how many subscribers are there in this country? :confused:

wws
25/04/2006, 12:00 PM
so still barely half what tuned in to watch bohs v pats in richmond

I'm completely against any all ireland league - the setanta cup is a pleasant distraction from the real matter at hand both north and south - nothing more nothing less

pete
25/04/2006, 12:50 PM
93k viewership is very impressive considering how few people have access to Setanta. I really know how good or not the figures whiuld have to compare with other events shown on Setanta.

I read recently that Setanta had 32k paid subscibers through Sky Digital & then NTL freebies so i suppose maybe 400k people have access to the the channel.

monutdfc
25/04/2006, 12:59 PM
I'm completely against any all ireland league
Not having go here wws, but I'm interested in your reasons for this viewpoint.

wws
25/04/2006, 1:38 PM
we have both developed leagues over several decades with disticnt histories, clubs and records in european competitions.

- amalgamation in All Ireland league format would presumably lead to the culling of those clubs - say for instance Shamrock Rovers who are cast adrift from the top flight - a necessary by product of any all ireland league - it doesnt make sense for them and equally doesnt make sense for any other clubs cast aside by what i suspect is more hoped for by a certain southern blazer than anyone up north.

Dr.Nightdub
25/04/2006, 10:35 PM
I was a bit dubious about that 93,000 figure when I saw it earlier today so I asked the agency that books our advertising in work for clarification. Here's what the guy came back with:

Figures quoted in the media for viewership are usually for all Individuals (everyone 4 years+) and often, as in this case, are gross viewership to any part of the programme while on air. This is not the correct way to look at the reality of the size of its audience. Smaller stations generally prefer to release the highest figures possible, which really are a bit misleading because someone caught 2 minutes of the broadcast does not really make them a viewer.

Nielsen don't release their full ratings data for Setanta until about 10 days after broadcast so we cant fully check the data at the moment. All we can see at the minute is average quarter hour time block ratings which when looking at Setanta for 19.45 to 22.15 which was the time the Setanta Cup and extra time and analysis took up, the average rating for Individuals was 0.2 which equates to 7,000 viewers which translates to an average of 0.7% share of all TV viewing during each 15 minute segment of each hour. So less than 1% of everyone sitting in front of the TV was watching Setanta Cup at any given minute.

So in reality no more than 7,000 saw it from start to finish but up to 93,000 may have tuned in at some point. If the viewership across the whole programme was in fact 93,000 is would give them close to 8% share of viewing but it will not come out anywhere near that in the final data. From an advertising perspective, if we were talking about viewership of a commercial in an ad break, we would be discussing 7,000 viewers.

JC_GUFC
25/04/2006, 10:53 PM
Has anyone contacted the Ulster Scots agency to see if the hits on their webskee have gone up due to advertising?!
I'd say it was particularly relevant for the Drogheda v Cork and most definitely the Shels v Derry games! :)

hamish
25/04/2006, 11:57 PM
I'm sure many of you will be familiar with the war between stations to get as high a placing as possible on the Sky set up - in each category.
In "sport" Setanta is way down the list in 17th place (429 Setanta Ireland and even lower for the other Setanta channels) so would that not effect those, say, surfing through the sports channels???
If Setanta were in fifth place, behind Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, and Extra would that not help with higher ratings for a match like this?? I've read that there can be millions lost in advertising depending where a station is in the Sky hierarchy.
I can't comment where they are on NTL, Chorus etc.

Roverstillidie
26/04/2006, 2:26 AM
- amalgamation in All Ireland league format would presumably lead to the culling of those clubs - say for instance Shamrock Rovers who are cast adrift from the top flight

you fúcking wish. top of the league and pushing 600 mins without conceding. its us out, not CHF or UCD? dream on

ourselves and linfield are the 'old firm' of any all ireland setup.

Dazzy
26/04/2006, 8:03 AM
you fúcking wish. top of the league and pushing 600 mins without conceding. its us out, not CHF or UCD? dream on

ourselves and linfield are the 'old firm' of any all ireland setup.

Why would you want it to be the 'old firm' can no one think of a new name instead of taking that scottish muck:rolleyes: :p

thejollyrodger
26/04/2006, 8:39 AM
well.. however long it takes, a setanta cup with teams from ireland, scotland and wales plus a all island eircom league will be absolutely fantastic for irish club teams and we can realistically expect to progress into the group stages in europe

pete
26/04/2006, 9:15 AM
Is the 7,000 figure for Setanta comparable with the way the terrestial tv ratings listed? 93k did seem a bit too high but 7k seems too low too...

bigmac
26/04/2006, 10:21 AM

It'd be whoever is good enough, not just a club with a glorious past and indistinguished present. Only way that'd make sense is either to have a completely amalgamated league for the first year - all teams and then cut it down, or to take the top 6 from each, then the next 6, in which case Shamrock Rovers would start in the third division.

Stuttgart88
26/04/2006, 10:35 AM
I know it'sd been debated on Genesis Report threads and other places but I'd like to know among the eL enthusiasts on this board if it's agreed:

(a) that a 32 county league is indeed the way forward, and
(b) solving the "concentration" issue Malone refers to is absolutely critical to achieving materiaL progress.

I notice that only jollyrodger has adressed either of these issues. For me these are the "bigger picture" issues, not dissecting the viewing figures.

stickyjoe
26/04/2006, 10:53 AM
Totally in favour of an All Island League of some shape or form as I think the Setanta Cup has been fantastic.

However I can`t see an all island league dramatically transforming the state of local football here. Do we really think we`ll create some sort of culture of attending games among the barstoolers?

Will the standards of grounds/facilities dramatically improve? I don`t think so, an all island league IMO would do even more to encourage clubs to spend whatever extra cash there is on players wages instead of facilities for fear of being left out of the hunt for honours.

Macy
26/04/2006, 11:24 AM
(a) that a 32 county league is indeed the way forward,

Yes, but it's not the catch all solution that it's made out to be, as summer football was made out to be too

(b) solving the "concentration" issue Malone refers to is absolutely critical to achieving materiaL progress.
No, I don't think it's absolutely critical in terms of concerntrating the talent that is in the leagues. What is absolutely critical is keeping young players on the island, connected to league clubs here. Then reducing leagues to ill conceived 8 or 10 team leagues wouldn't be necessary anyway. If only the cream of the crop went over to england, and that involved transfer fees to Irish clubs, the standard's would automatically improve. Only a small percentage of players returning in the late teens, early twenties have any interest left in football, when they could be making a good living out of it.

So what we're back to is developing infrastructure. Academies, training facilities more important than grounds, but grounds to be brought up to a realistic and achievable minimum standard. FIFA/UEFA to ban under 18's/21's leaving their country to sign for foreign clubs. Full and complete implementation of all aspects of the Licencing document, with support from the Government/ FAI where necessary. I think this applies to both the eL and IL.

So basically imo a) is a (small) part of the solution, long term. b) isn't necessary if everything else is done.

Raheny Red
26/04/2006, 12:29 PM
Last year a LSL selection hammered a Welsh league selection 7-2, now what does that say, if a LSL team could do that then what would happen if an eL team played a Welsh team on a regular basis. Now they played on the weekend just gone and the Welsh League won 1-0 agianst a "heavily depleted LSL panel". So a 1-0 defeat ain't a bad result considering the circumstances. On reflection of this do we really want this shower in the Setanta Sports Cup:confused: - the only benefit I can is the odd pish up in Wales :cool:

sligoman
26/04/2006, 12:37 PM
top of the leagueYou sure? Check again:

Limerick FC 6 5 0 1 6 3 15
Shamrock R 6 4 2 0 8 1 14

and pushing 600 mins without conceding.600 mins of First Division football;).

Schumi
26/04/2006, 12:52 PM
Macy has it spot on. An all-Ireland league would be great but if the opportunity isn't taken to address all the problems that both leagues have now, very little would change.

thejollyrodger
26/04/2006, 9:20 PM
any all ireland league would need major sponsorship from the likes of Eircon.

Poor Student
26/04/2006, 9:43 PM
FIFA/UEFA to ban under 18's/21's leaving their country to sign for foreign clubs.

That would be utterly contrary to Europen Union law. You as an 18 year old have the right to go to the UK and take up any other job you like. However yes, if all our top players in Britain played here then concentration of talent wouldn't be a problem.

Macy
27/04/2006, 9:59 AM
That would be utterly contrary to Europen Union law. You as an 18 year old have the right to go to the UK and take up any other job you like. However yes, if all our top players in Britain played here then concentration of talent wouldn't be a problem.
Never said it was possible, or even likely if it was. But what about Under 18's?

I'd also like to see the FAI use the stick of no caps at all at any level ever unless you stayed until 21. Obviously an exception for 2G's not born here, again no chance considering the Staunton going around looking for anyone who's had a pint of porter and might qualify (and ready to appeal even if they don't!)...

Edit - Obviously with the carrot of all these top rate academies tied to the eL clubs.

Dodge
27/04/2006, 11:10 AM
Pete, TV ratings are, at best, guesswork. Have you ever been asked what you watch? Do you know anybody who's ever been asked?

I was in a packed pub on Saturday and there was a t least 150 people watching the game. It only takes 100 more pubs throughout Ireland to double the figure quoted.

To answer sirhamish, NTL give Setanta prime location at Nos 105 (in general) and 401 in sport (SkySports 1is 402) on digital platform and also makes it available through the basic analogue service (which you can safely so most of Dublin, Waterford and Galway subscribe to)

monkey magic
27/04/2006, 7:01 PM
Macy has it spot on. An all-Ireland league would be great but if the opportunity isn't taken to address all the problems that both leagues have now, very little would change.

thats about spot on, such a new league would have to have a minimum requirement in terms on facilities etc for entry to gain credability... at a stroke, those clubs not up to standard could be deemed ineligible.. you might argue that this was what liscencing was supposed to do, but its a lot easier to do with a new league than with existing established clubs in an established league.