PDA

View Full Version : Previous EL takeover attempts

Tenderloins
24/04/2006, 2:42 PM
In light of Ollie canceling dinner with Mister Di Stefano, what other big money takeover rumours of EL clubs have there been over the years?
Rovers and Brookes Mileson is obiviously one any others?

NY Hoop
24/04/2006, 2:54 PM
Brendan O'Carroll turning up with a pen and paper to take over Rovers last year:D

Idiot journos believing a rumour about Aldo taking us over the same time and printing it!

KOH

Tenderloins
24/04/2006, 3:13 PM
Forgot about O'Carroll and that webchat he had too!

Dodge
24/04/2006, 3:17 PM
Roddy Doyle was apparently part of a consortium that tired to buy Pats durng the early 90s. He talked about it during a Fantasy Football episode. A certain builder with a fat ex employee friemd tried to buy us recently buthius valuation was 1/10th of the grounds market value alone...

NY Hoop
24/04/2006, 4:08 PM
The same Roddy Doyle who when asked why he "supported" chelsea on fantasy football replied "Cos the league of Ireland is ****e":eek:

KOH

OneRedArmy
24/04/2006, 6:04 PM
The same Roddy Doyle who when asked why he "supported" chelsea on fantasy football replied "Cos the league of Ireland is ****e":eek:

KOH
Total tangent, but that reminded me of a quote from the Chairman of the Leinster Rugby Supporters Club in yesterdays Tribune, who claimed to have turned his back on domestic football to follow rugby(having allegedly followed Drums and Home Farm, being from Drumcondra) because of the bad behaviour of the fans of certain English teams who visited for friendlies in the
70s ...........

I sometimes wonder if domestic football will ever grow when you are dealing with a general populace who not only eschew local football but at the same time manage to invent preposterous reasons or excuses to self-justify their actions.

Cosmo
24/04/2006, 6:10 PM
Roddy Collins attempting to take over Drogheda about 4 or 5 years ago!!

Weren't we lucky :)

joema
24/04/2006, 6:10 PM
Brendan O' Carroll made an attempt to buy Kilkenny City a few years back aswell

Dj Duffer
24/04/2006, 7:21 PM
Rumour has it Pat Dolan tried to buy Cobh!! Only a rumour id say though because i think its impossible for someone to buy cobh as the community owns it or something like that!

CharlesThompson
24/04/2006, 7:45 PM
Did Johnny Giles and Eamon Dunphy try to buy Rovers in the 70's?

Dr.Nightdub
24/04/2006, 8:06 PM
Rovers and Brookes Mileson is obiviously one any others?

Don't forget Pats and Brooks Mileson as well, though he only got as far as generally sniffing around.

TonyD
24/04/2006, 8:11 PM
Don't think they tried to buy Rovers, did they ? Giles was manager and Dunphy his assistant in the late 70's (For the benefit of our younger readers.) Louis Kilcoyne, who I think is Giles brother-in-law, would have been owner at the time. I believe he later went on to make quite a bit of money in "property speculation" :p

Risteard
24/04/2006, 10:00 PM
A certain builder with a fat ex employee friemd tried to buy us recently buthius valuation was 1/10th of the grounds market value alone...
Ditto for City i believe.

pineapple stu
24/04/2006, 10:14 PM
Budweiser tried to buy out UCD back in the 80s, I think - or at least get more involved than they currently are. There was a plan for a stand on the hill with a Budweiser logo or in Bud colours or something.

MariborKev
24/04/2006, 10:50 PM
Whilst not strictly "big money" an interesting tale on the subject

When a new board was elected for Derry City after our entry into the LOI, senior nationalist politicians in the North were contacted by members of British Intelligence. Apparently they were worried that the new board was a "republican coup" and the possible impact of the such an event

hamish
24/04/2006, 11:15 PM
Anyone remember some Lord living in Limerick who wanted to take over the club in the 60s or 70s???

Student Mullet
24/04/2006, 11:46 PM
Budweiser tried to buy out UCD back in the 80s, I think - or at least get more involved than they currently are. There was a plan for a stand on the hill with a Budweiser logo or in Bud colours or something.They never tried to buy the club (how would that even work?). They were launching Bud into the Irish market at the time an wanted to put sponsorship into UCD in a stupidly americanized (yes, I used a 'z') kind of way.

Schumi
25/04/2006, 12:01 PM
They never tried to buy the club (how would that even work?). They were launching Bud into the Irish market at the time an wanted to put sponsorship into UCD in a stupidly americanized (yes, I used a 'z') kind of way.
Didn't they want to re-name Belfield Park as Budweiser Park or something as well?

hamish
25/04/2006, 12:04 PM
I remember now who that Lord was who had an interest in Limerick FC - Lord Petersham.

harpskid
25/04/2006, 6:11 PM
Consortium tried to take Harps to Letterkenny back in 1996.

Headed by Geoff Carr from TNT Worldwide Express, back by Jimmy Harte (then Chairman) and of course Dermott Keely :rolleyes:

Needless to say they failed, the co-op society was set up and the fans now own the club.

pineapple stu
25/04/2006, 7:04 PM
They never tried to buy the club (how would that even work?).
Presumably they give the college lots of money and tell them that in the not-too-distant future, someone will be delighted to have a nest-egg to build gym facilities just for his wife while destroying the grass areas across college.

The idea was deemed to ridiculous, therefore, it was rejected. :)

CollegeTillIDie
25/04/2006, 7:05 PM
Budweiser tried to buy out UCD back in the 80s, I think - or at least get more involved than they currently are. There was a plan for a stand on the hill with a Budweiser logo or in Bud colours or something.

The actual story is.... Budweiser offered the soccer club a sick amount of money to rename the ground Budweiser Park and to paint the roof of the stand red and have logos etc on the roof.
There might well have also been a proposal to build a stand on the bank opposite as well not 100%sure about that . The Soccer club had no problem with it and presented the proposal to the College Authorities who baulked at it.
So for a few seasons the club had an all red away strip as a nice gesture to the sponsors instead.

CollegeTillIDie
25/04/2006, 7:15 PM
Here's some former directors of LOI clubs.
Noel C. Duggan of Millstreet Green Glens Arena fame was a director of
Cork Hibernians in the 1970's when they went bust.
Pat Grace, who once had the franchise for Kentucky Fried Chicken for Ireland, was the owner of Limerick F.C./ Limerick United/ Limerick City in the 1970's and 80's and moved the club from the Market's Field to Rathbane in 1983.

jorge
26/04/2006, 6:20 PM
Conor Clarkson was suposed to finnish Tallaght with E10 million at around the end of 2003.

Roo69
28/04/2006, 6:01 PM
Don't forget Pats and Brooks Mileson as well, though he only got as far as generally sniffing around.

He tried us as well !

monkey magic
29/04/2006, 3:27 PM
He tried us as well !

going slightly off topic, i saw a programme on him an gretna not to long ago... not sure if it was mentioned here before, but he actually seems like a down to earth football lover, hes from carlisle but decided to invest gretna cos he liked the place and the fans were good fun. made his money in the insurance business, apparently at gretna matches, you wont fine him in the directors boxes, but down in the middle of the fans enjoying the banter, personally i wouldent mind him getting involved with any loi club

CollegeTillIDie
29/04/2006, 3:39 PM
Didn't they want to re-name Belfield Park as Budweiser Park or something as well?

yes and I explained this on another thread!