Gary
16/06/2002, 7:37 PM
gutted!:( :mad:

wiseman
16/06/2002, 10:18 PM
:( but great performance and hope for the future

brine2
16/06/2002, 10:20 PM
Certainly, one of the greatest Ireland performances ever - up there with Italy in the Giants Stadium. And all that without the services of one of the world's greatest midfielders.

When you consider some of the other players that didn't play; Carr, O'Shea, O'Brien, Healy, Doherty, Reid then the future looks bright.

pete
17/06/2002, 12:17 PM
A kick away from IMO the best irish team ever. Even without progressing to the quarter finals possibly bettrer than the 1990 team as they scored more goals & actually won a game.

Anyone else p***ed off with the "sure we'll have a party win or lose..."

btw easy to say in hindsight but I did not fancy us in the peni shootout at all as hard to find any quality peno takers in the team.

:(

dahamsta
17/06/2002, 12:27 PM
A kick away from IMO the best irish team ever.

A player away, namely Harte. I don't blame him for our not being in the last eight, like some tossers are saying, but he shouldn't have been there, he really shouldn't have.

adam

pete
17/06/2002, 3:04 PM
Only consulation i can take from yesterday is Robbie got the last goal so PP refuned my bet on Ireland.

:D

Got to be happy for something.......

patsh
17/06/2002, 3:11 PM
Originally posted by Vetinari
A kick away from IMO the best irish team ever.

A player away, namely Harte. I don't blame him for our not being in the last eight, like some tossers are saying, but he shouldn't have been there, he really shouldn't have.

adam
Yeah, a serious mistake by McCarthy to start him, especially after substituting him 3 times.
Is Mc implying that Harte was still a better option than what was on the bench?
Debatable whether Morrison should have got the nod over Connolly, but I think Kilbane should not have been in the first 5.
Not a bad tournament for us overall, but I hope that the good feeling around will not blind people to the very real f*ckups that happened, and keep happening....

niamh
17/06/2002, 3:50 PM
Considering the Irish perparations for the tournament, we've done well. And beforehand we wouldn't have thought we could have four good performances. I hate the 'blame on someone' attitude that certain people have adopted. The players gave their all, even if it wasn't good enough.

The players who missed the spot kicks were devastated and it should be left at that. The last time I checked we didn't remind players constantly that they missed their kick...unlike the Southgate/ Batty incidents.

Colm
17/06/2002, 4:03 PM
It really was an outstanding performance by the Irish team. We were the better team and we were so close. I am extremely proud of the team and I am gutted that lady luck wasnt on our side. The lads gave it their all and fair play to them, we deserved to win but as the old saying goes its a funny old game.
I must say that Keane and Duffer were outstanding yet again.

pete
17/06/2002, 4:09 PM
Penaltys were poor but anyone who starts trying to make those players out as scapegoats is an idiot.

I'm also proud the players gave 100% every game but i'm not celebrating their return.

btw i wonder what the comparitive value of the two teams yesterday. If you took Robbie & Duffer out Raul alone probably worth more than the rest of the irish team?

Colm
17/06/2002, 4:10 PM
I heard on the Gerry Ryan show this morning that Raul and Morientes alone were worth more than the whole Irish team.

gwanyagoodting
17/06/2002, 4:15 PM
Did you see the expressions on Raul and Morientes' faces during extra time? They thought they were heading home......

James
17/06/2002, 5:06 PM
Originally posted by COLM
I heard on the Gerry Ryan show this morning that Raul and Morientes alone were worth more than the whole Irish team.

must be true so then :) cause we all know how much ryan knows about soccer and life and music and EVERYTHING :)