PDA

View Full Version : Steve Staunton

Poor Student
22/04/2006, 9:35 PM
He was at UCD v Shels today with Devlin before heading off to the Setanta Cup final. Just thought people might be interested to know. Good to see him making appearances and watching the domestic game.

Dazzy
22/04/2006, 9:40 PM
He took in a womens game too apparently!!

Will this be the only time we see him this season??? I think so.

Poor Student
22/04/2006, 9:44 PM
Why do you say that? Kerr took in a good few eL games, granted he had an eL background. No one was forcing Staunton to go to Belfield. Going to the TV game on Setanta would have sufficed to be seen to be doing his duty.

Dazzy
22/04/2006, 9:46 PM
If it the UCD game was on a different day i would say that he would go to more games, but since it was on the same day i aint convinced that he will be back to more games. But only time will tell and i hope he is at more games minus Devlin.

joema
22/04/2006, 11:08 PM
Credit where its due - Fair play to him, he could easilly have just turned up for the televised game.

Decent interview with him on setanta at half time

Dazzy
22/04/2006, 11:12 PM
What did he say in the interview, never caught it?

joema
22/04/2006, 11:22 PM
Just said it was a decent game - "entertaining" and that he would be throwing a few el players into the B squad to see how they will "cope" - fair play to him at least he is honest. In general he gave the view that it was a good game which he was genuinly enjoying and that if el players are good enough they will get their chance - probobly at first in the B team

Dazzy
22/04/2006, 11:27 PM
Fair play, just hope he becomes a regular at LOI games!

Gareth
23/04/2006, 8:26 AM
Jesus was he in Belfield. It was not a good game....

pete
23/04/2006, 9:19 AM
As MOTM i presume Joe Gamble a certainty for the B team then? Only other players worthy from the match would be Roy O'Donovan & Jason Gavin.

Superhoops
23/04/2006, 11:37 AM
.......and i hope he is at more games minus Devlin.
What a crass comment!

Surely the fact that Staunton is giving some recognition to the EL is a good thing. He is never going to be calling EL players into the first team squad, but he has shown he is prepared to give them their chance by playing at B level with the fringe first team squad players.

He has appointed Pat Devlin to oversee that role on the basis that Devo has more experience of the EL than anyone else and spends more time watching EL players than anyone else. Staunton would not have made the appointment unless he thought Devo was the best man for the job and he will not be changing it because of the rants of some gobby know-alls.

If Staunton is going to take in EL games then the chances are that Devo will be with him. Get over it! :mad:

Dazzy
23/04/2006, 12:33 PM
So devlin is going to go out of his way not to manage his team and travel to other LOI games :rolleyes:

daveh
23/04/2006, 1:29 PM
Met Staunton in Kennedys before the game with devlin,was chattin away and letting people take pictures with him,seemed like a sound enough fella. Huge man when you see him in person aswell:eek:

thejollyrodger
23/04/2006, 7:29 PM
The fact he is turning up to the games is a good boost for the league and recognition to clubs like Shelbourne F.C. for raising the standard higher and higher.

Roverstillidie
23/04/2006, 8:01 PM
The fact he is turning up to the games is a good boost for the league and recognition to clubs like Shelbourne F.C. for raising the standard higher and higher.

:D :D

the force is strong in this one. that would be shels who finished where in the league last year?

raising the bar by nearly getting wound up and winning fúck all

you couldnt make it up

superfrank
23/04/2006, 8:50 PM
So devlin is going to go out of his way not to manage his team and travel to other LOI games :rolleyes:
What are you on about? We didn't have a match on Saturday so he was free. He's just doing his job as part of the Irish set-up. If he hadn't been there, he mightn't have been telling Stan wat players ro look out for and so forth.

Dazzy
23/04/2006, 8:51 PM
Im on about other games!!! I just believe that Devlins priorites should start and end with Bray!!!

superfrank
23/04/2006, 8:56 PM
Im on about other games!!! I just believe that Devlins priorites should start and end with Bray!!!
I completely agree there but I honestly doubt he'll miss any Bray games unneccessarily.

Dazzy
23/04/2006, 8:58 PM
Well i apologise if that was unclear in my origional post, i dont like managers taking on two managerial roles, esp. when one would require alot of coaching.

End off i believe.

thejollyrodger
23/04/2006, 8:59 PM
At the end of the day half the Ireland B team will be from Shelbourne FC. Says it all really.

Poor Student
23/04/2006, 9:00 PM
At the end of the day half the Ireland B team will be from Shelbourne FC. Says it all really.

For one, you do realise it's not an Eircom League only team, right?

Dazzy
23/04/2006, 9:02 PM
So 13 Shelbourne players will be in the B team?

Speranza
23/04/2006, 9:09 PM

:eek: Don't do drugs!

Roverstillidie
23/04/2006, 11:21 PM
Classic coming from a Shams Fan ! :D

I don't know who these shams you keep going on about are, but at any point did we come out with shíte like that?
we were aware of our problems and fixed them. yer man has learnt nothing over the past month and still thinks not only that all is well, but they are a model club!! despite all the evidence to the contrary.

half the irish b team would be shels!!! you couldnt make it up.

razor
24/04/2006, 10:35 AM
At the end of the day half the Ireland B team will be from Shelbourne FC. Says it all really.Yeah, I fancy Williams, Rogers, Harris and maybe Ndo to get a shout alright.

Raheny Red
24/04/2006, 11:24 AM

Oh Jeebus Chripe :eek: to you go to the games! If the league is lucky then we might 2/3 players in the first squad and if Shels are even more lucky then we will get the one call up me thinks!

EnDai
24/04/2006, 11:46 AM
What are you on about? No chance in hell. Half the Ireland B team won't even be playing their trade in Ireland.

Drumcondra Red
24/04/2006, 11:48 AM
He was at the Leinster vs Munster game too, must be a load of freebies flying around for him!!!

pete
24/04/2006, 12:21 PM
I still think the Devlin appointment will be shown up as a terrible decision by Staunton. He clearly knows nothng about the mans character as he is bitter man & cannot accept criticism. Develin has achieved nothing in football & Eoin Hand would have been perfect appointment.

superfrank
24/04/2006, 1:43 PM
Develin has achieved nothing in football & Eoin Hand would have been perfect appointment.
So winning the cup twice in nine years is nothing?? Taking a small club and making them a Premier Divison team is nothing?? Get your facts right. It's one thing to be arrogant but to be ignorant is just plain stupid. For a small club, as it is so often pointed out to us by the kind fans on foot.ie, to stay in the Premier Division is very good and to have a record like ours in the Premier for a club our size is good.

NY Hoop
24/04/2006, 1:52 PM
I still think the Devlin appointment will be shown up as a terrible decision by Staunton. He clearly knows nothng about the mans character as he is bitter man & cannot accept criticism. Develin has achieved nothing in football & Eoin Hand would have been perfect appointment.

Worst post of the month. Only ones who are bitter are the boring anti Staunton brigade. He's going to EL games so whats the problem?:rolleyes:

KOH

pete
25/04/2006, 11:49 AM
So winning the cup twice in nine years is nothing??.

Alan Matthews won the cup 2 times in row. Is he a candidate?