SETANTA SPORTS CUP FINAL *
Cork City 0-0 Drogheda Utd 7.45

* Live on RTÉ Radio 1 MW & LW

Mr A
22/04/2006, 8:44 PM
Harps 1-1 Cobh is a result now too.

CollegeTillIDie
22/04/2006, 8:58 PM
Mark Leech has just scored for Drogheda in the 11th minute of the First Period of extra time. It was 0-0 at Full time of normal time.

Eire06
22/04/2006, 9:19 PM
Drogs won.....

OneRedArmy
22/04/2006, 9:33 PM
Not the best game to the honest.

Interesting to see how long the little thug Murphy is banned for after his bit of cowardly behaviour at the final whistle. Glad to see he got a slap back in return.

Well done Drogs.

Réiteoir
22/04/2006, 9:33 PM
Not the best game to the honest.

Interesting to see how long the little thug Murphy is banned for after his bit of cowardly behaviour at the final whistle. Glad to see he got a slap back in return.

Well done Drogs.

What happened?

wws
22/04/2006, 9:34 PM
Cork were a total disgrace at the end

most ungracious losers since shels at their worst

Rovers1
22/04/2006, 9:34 PM
wat was the score??

Speranza
22/04/2006, 9:40 PM
Cork City fans despise (like the rest of us) the thuggish actions of Shelbourne staff from their chairman right down but their players are just as bad. Murphy is a dirty player, Georgie a cheat and Rico a total mouth. Cork have become as arrogant as $hels are and their fans show typical Munster arrogance. I wait for the usual response - "you are all jealous"

OneRedArmy
22/04/2006, 9:50 PM
What happened?
as Keddy (?) put the ball out of play to end the game, Murphy ran up to him & punched him in the face.

Total cowardice.

Somebody else then hit Murphy a dig that he totally deserved.

wws
22/04/2006, 9:52 PM
i think fahey got the dig

murphy and gamble the culprits - lengthy bans - but we wont get them

Réiteoir
22/04/2006, 9:57 PM
as Keddy (?) put the ball out of play to end the game, Murphy ran up to him & punched him in the face.

Total cowardice.

If that's the case - then it's a total disgrace and a long suspension should come of it.

But knowing the FAI it won't

And this will be swept under the rug on here with accusations of jealousy from the Squaking ****ies

MariborKev
22/04/2006, 9:58 PM
What about the shots of Cork fans hanging over the railings to spit at McKeon as he went down the tunnel?

We've all disagreed with a referee's decision in our day, but spitting at anyone is well out of order........

Dazzy
22/04/2006, 9:58 PM
A suspension would probally be added to next seasons competition, nothing that will affect the league.

Eire06
22/04/2006, 9:59 PM
Shocking stuff, if this is what happened!!

So much for us trying to be a serious professional league if our champions act like that!!

Anyone other that derry fans see this??

Risteard
22/04/2006, 10:02 PM
Went to make myself a nice crisp sandwich the second the whistle blew so can't really pass verdict on that but fair play to the Drogs.
They know how to win matches.
Though Georgie and Fenn blew chances, the players that were there played very well and Drogs managed to soak it all up.
Onwards and upwards.
Now, where's that City-Derry video gone?

Réiteoir
22/04/2006, 10:03 PM
What about the shots of Cork fans hanging over the railings to spit at McKeon as he went down the tunnel?

We've all disagreed with a referee's decision in our day, but spitting at anyone is well out of order........

Have to say that's bang out of order as well

hamish
22/04/2006, 10:03 PM
Ground seemed well filled but not capacity.
My guess is about 6,000 - 7,000 at it.
Anyone know the crowd??
Great atmosphere too.
Congrats to Drogheda United and hard luck Cork City.:)

Eire06
22/04/2006, 10:16 PM
Anyone know the crowd??
Great atmosphere too.
Hi Sir H
Was there much trouble at the end of the match? and was it all onesided as the Derryboys are claiming above:rolleyes:

hamish
22/04/2006, 10:20 PM
Hi Sir H
Was there much trouble at the end of the match? and was it all onesided as the Derryboys are claiming above:rolleyes:

Hi Eire06 - just saw on Setanta a clip of a a Cork player clattering a Drogheda player and getting a slap in return - they were serarated quite quickly though.

MariborKev
22/04/2006, 10:21 PM
We aren't "claiming" anything.......

It was clearly shown on the TV, to the extent that they showed a replay of Murphy's punch, and Fabio's attempted retaliation. The Gamble bowled in and lots of finger pointing ensued.

The linesman did an absolutely storming job in defusing the situation.

The camera cut away then, and then cut back to Murray and Devine surrounding the referee.

OneRedArmy
22/04/2006, 10:23 PM
Hi Sir H
Was there much trouble at the end of the match? and was it all onesided as the Derryboys are claiming above:rolleyes:Roll your eyes all you like, there are quite a few posts referring to what happened above.

The Cork players also hounded & verbally abused the ref after the final whistle.

Eire06
22/04/2006, 10:27 PM
Roll your eyes all you like, there are quite a few posts referring to what happened above.

The Cork players also hounded & verbally abused the ref after the final whistle.

Just wanted an unbiased view and Sir H usually is.
Drogs were ment to be well winding up the Cork lads too so don't think it was all city, still no need for that kind of retaliation..

OneRedArmy
22/04/2006, 10:41 PM
Drogs were ment to be well winding up the Cork lads too so don't think it was all city, still no need for that kind of retaliation..
You got an unbiased view. I personally couldn't care whether Moneybags Utd or the People`s Republic FC won, as I`ve no great love for either BUT Cork`s behaviour was out of order.

By the same token Fitzpatrick was lucky not to get a 2nd yellow, but no amount of provocation justified what happened.

hamish
22/04/2006, 10:51 PM

Next Athlone v Galway match - get back to me on that unbiased thingy.:D

heh heh.

Codding aside, thank you for the nice compliment, young lady.:)

joema
22/04/2006, 11:01 PM
Disgracefull behaviour from Murphy - nothing but a bad loser, Fabio threw a punch at him in retalliation but failed to connect

Risteard
22/04/2006, 11:29 PM
What did they say?

OneRedArmy
22/04/2006, 11:36 PM
What did they say?I`m not sure, I`m not fluent in Langer.

Was that when you were out making a sandwich too?

Speranza
22/04/2006, 11:48 PM
I`m not sure, I`m not fluent in Langer.

:D POTM

iceman
22/04/2006, 11:49 PM
Just back from the game , and I have to say - appalling behaviour by the Langers , spitting at the Referee in the tunnell , its all there on video. Murphy the thug hitting out after the final whistle - really bad losers. Just hope that the powers that be take serious action against Cork over this. Personally I think they should now be banned from the competition - theres sufficient evidence on video , I've seen it.

hamish
22/04/2006, 11:49 PM
I`m not fluent in Langer.

LMAO:D :D :D

Dyl10
23/04/2006, 12:09 AM
Anyone know the crowd??
Great atmosphere too.

At the game it was announced at 6000 but looked like more! someone pulling a stroke i would guess ;)

Risteard
23/04/2006, 12:27 AM
I`m not sure, I`m not fluent in Langer.
But you still determined that it was verbal abuse?

pete
23/04/2006, 9:16 AM
6000 was the crowd attendance that was announced. Strange it was exactly 6000. Ollie pulling a fast one again?

Main stand - full
Ballbough - 3/4
New stand - 1/2
Riverside - 2/3 minimum

For 10k capacity ground can't see how got 6000.

I saw some come action at FT but couldn't see what happened - recorded match but didn't record long enough for of extra time. If an city fans seen spitting then thats disgraceful & no way can be condoned.

You may call this bitter but heres my take on the game:

I really though Drogs would threaten us but they were shockingly poor except for Connor, Gavin & Gartland. I know all eL refs are poor but McKeon was useless. Gavin was on a yellow card, he took 2 attempts with his elbow in 10 seconds & the ref just talks to him. FFS should have been straight red. Drogs deserved to win the FAI Cup final as eventhough we didn't play well they still scored 2 goals. I can't see how anyone would think they were best side last night - sure they won but almost as bad football as Longford. Aside from the goal Bradley & Keegan who are supposed to be great players were complately outplayed. BTW Fitzpatrick had 2 deliberate handballs while on a yellow card but no red card. We were commenting during the game that McKeon was leaving tackles go so much that was inviting a big challenge.

I heard the game came across crap on TV but what did neutrals think?

OneRedArmy
23/04/2006, 10:19 AM
It wasn`t great Pete but I`ve seen a lot worse.

Cork should`ve had a few goals in the first half & they paid the price.

BohDiddley
23/04/2006, 10:19 AM
A neutral's opinion:
Well done Drogs. Despite having the grumpiest manager in football anywhere, you are having a great run of success and deserve credit for that.
Not a great game by any stretch, except for the fact that the result hung in the balance for so long.
Cork played the best of the football (Gamble and O'Donovan were brilliant), but missed chances that were easier to put away. Tough.
Leech took his goal brilliantly.
Pretty filthy on both sides, with plenty of off-the-ball stuff that went unpunished by the ref and unremarked by the pundits (although I didn't watch the studio afters). I can't see how Cork fans can feel aggrieved: O'Callaghan was shocking yet again, and Murphy deserves a very lengthy ban and/or intensive anger management counselling.
Spitting Corkies should be easily identifiable from the video. It will speak volumes if they are not banned by the club.
(I trust this post won't go the way of previous ones that haven't been sufficiently genuflecting towards the deep south.)

Cosmo
23/04/2006, 10:23 AM
but they were shockingly poor

Wait until we play well against ye - if we can beat ye playing like that, we have absolutely nothing to worry about playing against ye in the 2 league matches, even at the cross :)

pete
23/04/2006, 10:34 AM
O'Callaghan was injured. He came back for the 2nd half early to try to warm up his ankle but was obvious in the ground he not going to last.

I suppose teams reflect their manager if you think about it..

rebs23
23/04/2006, 10:36 AM
We didn't put away our chances. Oh for a fully fit John O'Flynn! Drogheda took their chance well. So well done to Drogs and a big well done to some of the comments in the press during the week that seem to have really wound up the Drogs Manager and players. Pat Doolin on TV was still spitting about some of the comments from City players about not turning up for the Cup final etc.
I couldn't understand during the week why city would wind up the opposition with comments like that, you'd never hear the Cork Hurlers going on like that about the opposition. You do not in any circumstances provide your opposition with motivation, respect yes but motivation definitely not!

ColinR
23/04/2006, 10:40 AM
I suppose teams reflect their manager if you think about it..

rico has been accused of being a bottler since his shels days so you could be right ;)

pete
23/04/2006, 10:45 AM
rico has been accused of being a bottler since his shels days so you could be right ;)

League Champions!

Shels definitely reflex Fenlon.
Derry City very open like Kenny.
Longford have Matthews *zzzzzzzzzzz*

ColinR
23/04/2006, 10:47 AM
League Champions!

Shels definitely reflex Fenlon.
Derry City very open like Kenny.
Longford have Matthews *zzzzzzzzzzz*

touché :D

you can add keely-dub city to the list as well

Dr.Nightdub
23/04/2006, 12:43 PM
I thought it was an OK game but I expected much better. Footballing-wise (and atmosphere-wise), the lesser team won.

Cork were obviously well on top in the first half and only for Connor's save and St. George missing a sitter, would have deserved to lead at half time.

They seemed to let Drogheda back into it much more in the second half. I don't think that can be attributed to St. George going off injured, cos on TV anyway, he didn't seem that central to Cork's earlier dominance - that was more down to Gamble who I thought was absolutely outstanding. For a lot of the second half though, he seemed to be carrying Cork - by comparison, O'Brien, Behan and Fenn were nowhere.

I'd say Drogheda persevered well and dragged themselves back into it - Doolin's substitutions seemed to work well and improve them, whereas Cork's smacked of desperation - it was almost as if Rico wasn't happy with his O'Flynn-less starting line-up to begin with and kept tinkering with it throughout. Even before the goal, Cork were starting to rely more and more on long balls, whereas what worked for them in the first half was passing interchanges and speed of movement.

The more it went on, the more I was thinking of Ozo's prediction of a 1-0 Drogheda win on last week's eL Weekly, that and the fact that they only nicked a late winner against us in the League a couple of weeks ago. They basically kept their heads more than Cork.

Doolin, on the other end, had totally lost his by the time of the post-match frothing at the mouth session - it was the nearest thing I've seen in our league to Kevin Keegan's notorious "I'd love it..." interview a few years ago.

wws
23/04/2006, 12:51 PM
Not strictly speaking from our league but David Jeffries on air response to Healy surpasses even Keegos rant.....they replayed it as the highlight of teh setanta cup this year at the end!

Its also totally obvious from the coverage that Alan Matthews utterly hates Dolan - the look he gave him at the end was pure evil. What a panel!

"some of the things that were said were absolutely obnoxious" Paul Doolin

To my knowledge no-one bar DOOLIN has commented on Drogs at all at all - its pure small time Murinho complex from the bald eagle!

sullanefc
23/04/2006, 1:03 PM
"some of the things that were said were absolutely obnoxious" Paul Doolin

To my knowledge no-one bar DOOLIN has commented on Drogs at all at all - its pure small time Murinho complex from the bald eagle!

I was thinking the same myself. No one from Cork City Football Club said anything derogatory about Drogheda.

The only people who said that Drogs didn't deserve their FAI Cup win were CCFC fans on internet forums. If Doolin reads these forums and takes them seriously then he has lost it IMO.

Speranza
23/04/2006, 1:35 PM
This mind game nonsense is superb. We are working away, getting results and will be a point behind Drogs if we win our game in hand while our challengers are getting flustered. We get little attention from the media and haven't been talked about on el weekly for a while. Keep it up lads.....

daveh
23/04/2006, 1:50 PM
This mind game nonsense is superb. We are working away, getting results and will be a point behind Drogs if we win our game in hand while our challengers are getting flustered. We get little attention from the media and haven't been talked about on el weekly for a while. Keep it up lads.....

I think the main reason yere not getting a lot of attention is simply because ye didnt qualify for the setanta final and ourselves and drogheda have bulit up a bit of a rivalry atm,ye shud be back in the spotlight soon enuf:D

As for the final itself,well done to drogheda,ye took yere chance and we didnt take our chances simple as that.

A note aswell on Mr McKeon.He is quite possibly the worst ref ive seen since jimmy o'neill.He missed so many blatant fouls and off the ball incidents,twice in the space of 10 seconds in the 2nd half Gavin went straight into the back of 2 city players with his elbow and the ref just stood there as if nothing happened!Its not a personal attack on the man himself but he's just not a good ref and he seems to get a lot of games that are just too important for him to be refereeing

rant over,well done drogs:(

Dr.Nightdub
23/04/2006, 1:52 PM
Very good match report by Johnny Ward on the Setanta site:

http://www.setanta.com/portal/systemcontent/article?open&articleid=e29d24a5ab4179b28025715800779250

Dazzy
23/04/2006, 2:00 PM
ye shud be back in the spotlight soon enuf:D

Im pretty happy not being in the media spotlight:)