PDA

View Full Version : Rory O'Hanlon

monutdfc
21/04/2006, 12:57 PM
His father Rory is currently Ceann Comhairle of the Dail (and I'd venture the most partisan holder of that supposedly impartial position) and is former Minister for Health. As TD for Cavan Monaghan he has overseen the downgrading of Monaghan Hospital over the years and refuses to do anything about it while babies, kids, middle-aged people and old people have all died on the journey to Cavan or Drogheda. This includes a guy who worked as barman in our clubhouse, was knocked down beside the ground one night and died before he could be brought to hospital. The ambulance driver told me he would have been saved if Monaghan hospital was operational.
The O'Hanlon's are from Carrickamcross. Carrickmacross is as close to Dundalk as it is to Monaghan. Indeed, beside me last night were Dundalk fans who certainly sounded like they from the Monaghan side of the county boundary. (Some interesting gossip overheard too, like how much Eamon McEneaney is getting (tax-free) to manage Louth, and how the Monaghan GAA squad will be in Anfield this weekend).
Sorry if this one is better suited for the current-topics forum, just that mere mention of Rory O'Hanlon will get the goat up of anyone from Monaghan.

pete
21/04/2006, 1:06 PM
Moved to off-topic.

Pauro 76
21/04/2006, 3:14 PM
isnt he Ardal O'Hanlon's old boy? :confused:

Aberdonian Stu
21/04/2006, 3:18 PM
Yes Pauro. The post was moved from a forum about Ardal's new show Leagues Apart. I'm not going to post any more on this topic as I don't feel I know enough about Mr O'Hanlon or his record in politics so please don't ask me to go any further.

Pauro 76
21/04/2006, 3:56 PM
Yes Pauro. The post was moved from a forum about Ardal's new show Leagues Apart. I'm not going to post any more on this topic as I don't feel I know enough about Mr O'Hanlon or his record in politics so please don't ask me to go any further.

No chance of that so!

dahamsta
21/04/2006, 4:24 PM
Someone will need to explain context - and a /point/ - if this is to go in Current Affairs, otherwise it's going in the bin (it doesn't belong here).

pineapple stu
21/04/2006, 4:30 PM
Split from this (http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?p=466299#post466299) thread. No other reason really.

monutdfc
21/04/2006, 4:33 PM
The context was in the thread on Leagues Apart: people were asking where Ardal O'Hanlon was from and why he supported Shels supposedly and suggesting Monaghan United as his nearest club, while others were wondering whether he was related to Rory O'Hanlon. I was explaining that Dundalk is as near as Monaghan and confirming his realtionship to Rory O'Hanlon, and promptly went off on a rant about Rory O'Hanlon something which anyone from Monaghan finds easy to do. The rant plus taking it out of the context of the other thread makes it look a bit odd as a stand-alone post.

It's current affairs if you like - he's currently a TD and Ceann Comhairle, has been accused by Pat Rabitte of being biased in that role in recent months and ther state of the health service is certianly a current issue. Bin it if you like, I don't mind.