PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season Tour:

joe
15/06/2002, 4:01 PM
Yet to be confirmed, but it looks like City will travel to Skibereen next weekend for a training weekend and are due to play two matches against local sides, Celtic and Dynamos. At the moment it looks like the matches will go ahead on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.

shedboy
15/06/2002, 8:19 PM
Whats the point in playing against two teams in skibbereen? I've never heard of any half decent team in skibbereen, i know a bit about junior soccer. Have these two teams even being training recently?I know it's difficult to get games against teams other than N.L. one's but surely we'd be better playing our U-21 side than skib!!!

James
17/06/2002, 7:55 AM
Originally posted by shedboy
Whats the point in playing against two teams in skibbereen? I've never heard of any half decent team in skibbereen, i know a bit about junior soccer. Have these two teams even being training recently?I know it's difficult to get games against teams other than N.L. one's but surely we'd be better playing our U-21 side than skib!!!

Skibbereen Dynamos and Ilen Celtic are two of the best sides in the West Cork Soccer League ( and not a bit of bias there :) )

Celtic finishing 2nd in the Beamish 1st Div with Dynamos in 3rd from the last season finished
not sure bout training havent been down there for ages, but the standard is ok

as for playing our u21's.. i think alot if not most of them will be in the current senior squad, jugding by the squad at the cobh friendly and also by the lack of signings in comparison to departures. Also its a chance for the squad to get away for a weekend for a morale boosting tour.. :) abit of craic and a weekend on the **** in Skibb ;).. how bad

pete
17/06/2002, 11:21 AM
When would those skib sides be starting their own seasons? Would they even be training yet?

When we move to proper March-Nov season maybe the league could have an indoor pre-season tournament or something in february as thats a fairly cold month?

niamh
17/06/2002, 2:39 PM
City are lining up clubs from West Cork and Rovers and Shelbourne are playing Celtic among others...

Colm
17/06/2002, 3:28 PM
So Brian Lennox started off with plans for a pre-season tour of the English midlands playing against Leicester and co and now he has scaled down his plans to a tour of west cork playing against 2 teams from Skib. :rolleyes:
There is no way that playing against these teams will in anyway prepare us for the new season.
At the very least they could have got a games against a few local el sides like Waterford or Limerick.

James
17/06/2002, 4:00 PM
that whole preseason tour of the midlands in england was always a non-starter IMO given the changing of our season's start date.. the whole move to summer soccer this year in paticular means that english clubs are very much less likely to travel over here to play.. or even be ready for us to travel over seeing as many of them i reckon aint even back training yet in the first place... let alone ready to start playing friendlies.

the only reason $hels and the scum are playing $eltic is cause of the €€€€€ shown to $€lti$ .. oh yea and cause they are oirish as well..

as for playing the likes of waaaaterford or ramblers.. sure didnt we just play ramblers on sat morning..who knows something else might suddenly happen with regards matches.. sure some of us only found out about the ramblers friendly the night b4 so i wouldnt count another match out :) somewhere along the line

Colm
17/06/2002, 4:07 PM
Originally posted by James
sure some of us only found out about the ramblers friendly the night b4 Thats a big problem,IMO. I would have gone to the game only I knew nothing about it and im sure there are others in the same boat. City really need to publicise their games.

James
17/06/2002, 4:17 PM
yea i beleive this is one of the major priorities that will/should be pointed out by The Biz and the other UCC heads that are doing that report for Brian Lennox (*not wanting to pre-empt the report or anything ) :)

it was though listed on aertel on the pre-season friendlies page and they did then update the page with the score and goal scorers within about 45mins of the match finishing

aertel pre-season friendlies page (http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p238.htm)

pete
17/06/2002, 4:25 PM
Seeing as no potential revenue in it for the club they probably couldn't be bothered letting the fans know. That in itself is a problem too - if no money in it club don't care appaear to care about the fans.

btw anyone know if Lennox or any other board types at the match?

James
17/06/2002, 4:30 PM
no sign of brian but the others were there, or at least the ones that were the old bord

yea Jim Murphy was there - Commercial manager
think denis ahern was there

gunther was missing, as was micheal devine, and a few other squad members..

haha also noteable was the dodgy pair of flares sported by none other then stephen napier..
*damn i wish i had brought spare batteries for me camera to get a shot of those..lol :)

ollie
17/06/2002, 9:14 PM
they are supposed to have a good pitch in skibb

Colm
20/06/2002, 8:42 PM
Originally posted by joe
Yet to be confirmed, but it looks like City will travel to Skibereen next weekend for a training weekend and are due to play two matches against local sides, Celtic and Dynamos. At the moment it looks like the matches will go ahead on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. Have we got any kick-off times or venues for these games yet?

joe
20/06/2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by COLM
Have we got any kick-off times or venues for these games yet?

there's hardly more than one pitch in Skib is there?

dunno, but maybe our west cork contingent might be able to confirm

Neil
21/06/2002, 1:35 AM
Twas in D'Echo tonight.
I'm sure it said 7.30 Saturday night and 2.30 Sunday.

ollie
21/06/2002, 1:40 AM
scibb is one place i havent payed in but most west cork league sides have 2 pitches so i doubt scibb is any different.our coach said it was like highbury(without the stands i presume)but this is the same man that says'GREAT PASS' if you pass the ball 2 yards so i'd take his comment about the pitch with a grain of salt.

Bernie
21/06/2002, 8:41 PM
The new Skibbereen pitches are located on the road from Skibb to Baltimore approx. 1.5 miles from the town on the right hand side of the road before reaching the Golf course.(can't miss it)

Hope the weather holds up. That 10,000 all seater stand wont be in for another year or two.:)

joe
23/06/2002, 10:14 PM
22/06/02
Ilen Celtic 0-7 Cork City

23/06/02
Skibbereen Dynamos 0-5 Cork City

more anon...

Colm
24/06/2002, 1:24 PM
Well at least we are scoring goals, not that it would be hard against this kind of opposition!! Ive said it before and ill say it again, we need to be playing against better sides if we want to be prepared for the coming season.

joe
25/06/2002, 12:12 AM
as promised (apologies about the delay) (http://foot.ie/ccsc/skib02.html)

Pablo
25/06/2002, 8:53 AM
Patsy the Ref:) o the irony!!!!!!