PDA

View Full Version : Designated singing section for Croker

Pages : [1] 2 3

joema
20/04/2006, 1:26 PM
With some of the qualifiers being played in Croker soon it is important to get a designated singing section together for block bookers (and those on the waiting list who will be offered tickets).

I think (well, NiellMcD's idea) that all in favour of this should email the fai to tell them this. For eg when we are sent our letters informing us we are being offered tickets there should be a section where we can apply for tickets in a signing or a non singing area

info@fai.ie

Maybe The el supporters section and this new singing section could be brought together in an area with best acoustics
Good idea?

eirebhoy
20/04/2006, 1:33 PM
Celtic have a singing section and it doesn't do much for the atmosphere. You'd need thousands of people willing to join the section. I'm sure if all a person had to do was tick a box to get into the section there probably would be thousands joining. With Celtic it was mainly people from internet forums that only knew about the singing section being set up.

joema
20/04/2006, 1:46 PM
Celtic have a singing section and it doesn't do much for the atmosphere. You'd need thousands of people willing to join the section. I'm sure if all a person had to do was tick a box to get into the section there probably would be thousands joining. With Celtic it was mainly people from internet forums that only knew about the singing section being set up.

I think its important to get all singers together - how many times have people stood up for the boys in green during the "stand up for the boys in green" chant only to be told to sit down by some muppet who "paid for their seat."

Just because it doesnt work for Celtic doesnt mean we shouldnt try it - if a few hundread of us e-mail the fai they might give us the option of getting our seat in either a singing or non singing area.

"You'd need thousands of people willing to join the section"

Sure there is thousands of people on the block booking and waiting lists - Im sure plenty of these people would like to be in a singing area.

I'd estimate around 20,000 people would like to go to a singing section as opposed to a non singing question.

Foe eg - old men or women could chose to go to the non singing section.

I think this is worth a try anyway

NeilMcD
20/04/2006, 2:02 PM
Yeah I agree I think anybody that wants a singing section and is willing to sit in such a section should e mail the FAI . This is our opportunity and it cannont do any harm by mailing the FAI.

joema
20/04/2006, 2:29 PM
Dear Fai,

With the Croke Park qualifiers approaching I was wondering if the possibility of a designated singing section (possibly in the Canal End) has been looked into?

For yers home match day atmosphere has been lacking. While, the development of a dedicated eircom league section is a positive step more has to be done.

I think those on the block booking list and those on the waiting list who will recieve tickets for these matches should be given the choice to take their seat in a designated singing area. In this a possibility?

Thank you

Name

That is what I sent to info@fai.ie
Feel free to use this as a template for your email - If a few hundread of us send similar emails to the fai they will surely take notice

joema
20/04/2006, 2:34 PM
Actually, ticket.office@fai.ie might be the correct address to send it to. Just to be on the safe side I sent it to both

pineapple stu
20/04/2006, 3:38 PM
The NLSA will be meeting with the FAI shortly. We brought up the Croke Park arrangements before alright, but can do so again and try and work out something definite if people want. I think the eL section has been fixed already (can't remember where though).

Forever Dreamin
20/04/2006, 5:08 PM
The NLSA will be meeting with the FAI shortly. We brought up the Croke Park arrangements before alright, but can do so again and try and work out something definite if people want. I think the eL section has been fixed already (can't remember where though).

Try and encourage them to offer the Canal End for EL and singing supporters and maybe the Hill 16 end of the Hogan and Cusack for all corporate tickets / promotional and those who prefer to sit.

That would allow the "singing end" to expand into the cusack and hogan stands from the canal end according to the numbers requesting such tickets.

Shouldnt be too dificut to arrange.

joema
20/04/2006, 6:41 PM

Yeah, fair play - try and get the el and designated singing area together.

Saint Tom
20/04/2006, 8:13 PM
its a good idea and a must in the new stadia we will play games in from 2007 on. In Croker, the lower canal end would be ideal, all stands are linked and all adjoining areas are covered. The El section and block bookers could ideally be housed on the canal end.. tifo flags and crowd covers would look fantastic. Any support needed, count me in

joema
20/04/2006, 9:30 PM
its a good idea and a must in the new stadia we will play games in from 2007 on. In Croker, the lower canal end would be ideal, all stands are linked and all adjoining areas are covered. The El section and block bookers could ideally be housed on the canal end.. tifo flags and crowd covers would look fantastic. Any support needed, count me in

Nice one Tom. Did you e-mail them?

Karlos
20/04/2006, 10:56 PM
It's funny this should come up this evening as I've had a similar idea on a list of subjects I want to address on my blog. I'm certainly happy to get behind this idea but think we should be looking to work with the FAI to create a fans forum/group which includes everyone, Ericom league fans included to help enhance the atmosphere at Ireland games.

I've had some exposure to this type of thing with 'redaction' which is the Arsenal fan group who organise most of the highbury events with the club and it's very effective. The group bring ideas to the club and they plan them together - the Bergkamp day on Saturday being one example as well as the card display at last nights semi final. It's been very effective and I'm sure there are other such groups at other foreign clubs.

We should look at getting a dedicated fan group together with the sole intention of improving the match day experience. If it's not run properly alot of our great ideas will go un-noticed. We shouldn't just look for a singing section but card displays, themed match days etc. There's great possibility in it but it requires dedication to it and members from all sections of our support. A unifed group working in conjunction with the FAI would attract many sponsors willing to get in on this.

I'm planning on exploring this idea further tonight on my site http://southterraceview.blogspot.com.

Would be very interested to hear your views on this both here and there!

Superhoops
20/04/2006, 11:35 PM
Yeah, fair play - try and get the el and designated singing area together.
Why not on the Hill?

Karlos
21/04/2006, 12:07 AM
Nice idea, but if it doesn't work somewhere like CP(Probably too 'small' there), short of providing :rolleyes: free absinthe, can't see it working much better than Lansdowne which is a smaller ground.

Good luck to the singers anyway.

It's worked brilliantly at Highbury. Sold out Carling Cup Games with large singing sections with mostly reserve teams players playing and had some of the best athmosphere's of the season according to the fan. It does work if organised properly, I've witnessed it.:)

joema
21/04/2006, 10:37 AM
Why not on the Hill?

AFAIK the Hill is going to be used for away fans.

Also, the hill has no roof - atmosphere would drift away into the nights sky

joema
21/04/2006, 10:56 AM
It's funny this should come up this evening as I've had a similar idea on a list of subjects I want to address on my blog. I'm certainly happy to get behind this idea but think we should be looking to work with the FAI to create a fans forum/group which includes everyone, Ericom league fans included to help enhance the atmosphere at Ireland games.

I've had some exposure to this type of thing with 'redaction' which is the Arsenal fan group who organise most of the highbury events with the club and it's very effective. The group bring ideas to the club and they plan them together - the Bergkamp day on Saturday being one example as well as the card display at last nights semi final. It's been very effective and I'm sure there are other such groups at other foreign clubs.

We should look at getting a dedicated fan group together with the sole intention of improving the match day experience. If it's not run properly alot of our great ideas will go un-noticed. We shouldn't just look for a singing section but card displays, themed match days etc. There's great possibility in it but it requires dedication to it and members from all sections of our support. A unifed group working in conjunction with the FAI would attract many sponsors willing to get in on this.

I'm planning on exploring this idea further tonight on my site http://southterraceview.blogspot.com.

Would be very interested to hear your views on this both here and there!

Fair play Karlos - great website there, I definitly like your ideas - I think its important to raise as much awareness of this as possible - this can be done through your website, this site and other el foruns throughout the country.

"At the moment people are emailing the FAI individually to try to make this happen but I think a more unified approach from a dedicated fan group would yield better results"

Your right there Karlos - a dedicated group does need to be set up - definitly.
Right now though I think we all must bombard the fai with emails - because they are not going to take a handfull of emails seriously

Karlos
21/04/2006, 11:13 AM
Your right there Karlos - a dedicated group does need to be set up - definitly.
Right now though I think we all must bombard the fai with emails - because they are not going to take a handfull of emails seriously

Very true, I've sent mine off anyway! Hopefully in the very near future we will see both a singing section & an athmosphere group up and running. :)

pineapple stu
21/04/2006, 12:41 PM
think we should be looking to work with the FAI to create a fans forum/group which includes everyone, Eircom league fans included to help enhance the atmosphere at Ireland games.
A good starting point... (http://nlsa.proboards62.com/)
Info@NLSupporters.com

Any definite ideas, send them on!

The eL Supporters' area was an idea to get a bit of atmosphere going. I've don't really know how effective it's been (hard to guage when you're in the middle), but there are problems with the fact that groups like that can very easily be "sabotaged", for want of a better word, by people who just want to get tickets and who aren't interested in singing or shouting. Even in the eL section, there are people who will tell you to sit down and shut up, and I think complaints have been received by the FAI about people standing up in the North Terrace (this'd be people situated behind the eL section but who didn't get tickets through it).

So there are problems alright. What it really needs is a core attitude of intolerance towards people who want to sit down (obviously within a designated atmosphere area; I've no problem with people sitting at a match, but there should be a separate area for those people so they don't spoil it for the rest). The eL section has gone some way towards that, I suppose. How to tack on extra people to that is another issue. The FAI obviously can't market tickets as standing tickets. We could try and secure an entire block and have people ask for tickets in that block if they want, though that creates extra admin problems.

Still, post any ideas here. The more people look at the problem, the more chances of getting a solution.

joema
21/04/2006, 1:59 PM
Info@NLSupporters.com

The eL Supporters' area was an idea to get a bit of atmosphere going. I've don't really know how effective it's been (hard to guage when you're in the middle), but there are problems with the fact that groups like that can very easily be "sabotaged", for want of a better word, by people who just want to get tickets and who aren't interested in singing or shouting. Even in the eL section, there are people who will tell you to sit down and shut up, and I think complaints have been received by the FAI about people standing up in the North Terrace (this'd be people situated behind the eL section but who didn't get tickets through it).

So there are problems alright. What it really needs is a core attitude of intolerance towards people who want to sit down (obviously within a designated atmosphere area; I've no problem with people sitting at a match, but there should be a separate area for those people so they don't spoil it for the rest). The eL section has gone some way towards that, I suppose. How to tack on extra people to that is another issue. The FAI obviously can't market tickets as standing tickets. We could try and secure an entire block and have people ask for tickets in that block if they want, though that creates extra admin problems.
Still, post any ideas here. The more people look at the problem, the more chances of getting a solution.

Exactly, I think its important to raise as much awareness as possible - I have already sent PMs to the the two lads on this site who are involved in the production of match day fanzines - YBIG and The Genesis Reporter.

Also I will send emails to www.elevenaside.com, www.thepeoplesflag.com, http://oneteaminireland.bravehost.com/ and obviously Karlos is doing his bit aswell through his blog.

Also, people must email the fai to let them know.

"We could try and secure an entire block and have people ask for tickets in that block if they want, though that creates extra admin problems."

I think thats exactly what we should do - it shouldnt be too hard for the fai to manage that.

joema
21/04/2006, 2:01 PM
Info@NLSupporters.com

Fair play, Stu - I'll send my definite ideas on to you soon!

crc
21/04/2006, 2:29 PM
Why not on the Hill?
The Hill is terracing, and don't all UEFA / FIFA matches have to be all-seater? With 65,000-odd seats, there'd be little point in putting in temporary seating like they do in Lansdowne (except maybe for the odd really big game)

Conor H
21/04/2006, 2:34 PM
I heard the steps were too narrow to put seats in?:confused:

Superhoops
21/04/2006, 2:40 PM
......Also, the hill has no roof - atmosphere would drift away into the nights sky
I don't think the Dubs would agree!

No doubt the best atmosphere and craic in Irish sport is when the Dubs mass on the Hill.

NeilMcD
21/04/2006, 2:40 PM
It has been show in other threads that the away fans are getting the hill and it will have bucket seats. John Delaneys has said this in an interview. So therefore the home end will be the Canal as that makes sense. I am off the view that Croker Park will be full for all of the games with possibly the exception of the Cyprus match.

Superhoops
21/04/2006, 2:43 PM
The Hill is terracing, and don't all UEFA / FIFA matches have to be all-seater?
See other thread on temporary seating at CP.

Saint Tom
21/04/2006, 5:35 PM
the canal end lower is where we want, covered and if this entire area was designated "singing" it doesnt obstruct the views of people elsewhere in the ground. also being a dubs fan who stands on hill 16, I think the canal end would be more suited to soccer as the noise reverberates around the stadium and for some reason gets far more television exposure (ever noticed it?). Plus from a footballing point of view, what the team need is an end to shoot into the second half with as much noise, colour and atmosphere as possible. I sent on the email joema.

good work lads a keep the ideas flowing. I am in charge of the Pats eL ticket section and would speak on behalf of the majority when I say we want to add to atmosphere. we collect an additional €2 for flags etc from every ticket we get, if other clubs and fans groups did this we could have the resources to really get this off the ground

crc
21/04/2006, 6:18 PM
I am off the view that Croker Park will be full for all of the games with possibly the exception of the Cyprus match.

Sorry to be a linguistic pedant, but this one is amusing because the mistake actually infers the opposite of what you want to say :D :

"off the view", means you no longer think it is true,
"of the view", means you do think it is true.

Mento
21/04/2006, 6:51 PM
We (YBIG) will certainly give it a good show in the next one, don't know if we will be out for Chile game as of yet.
to have it in print will give the fai more to think about

Superhoops
21/04/2006, 7:03 PM
the canal end lower is where we want, covered and if this entire area was designated "singing" it doesnt obstruct the views of people elsewhere in the ground. also being a dubs fan who stands on hill 16, I think the canal end would be more suited to soccer as the noise reverberates around the stadium and for some reason gets far more television exposure (ever noticed it?). Plus from a footballing point of view, what the team need is an end to shoot into the second half with as much noise, colour and atmosphere as possible. I sent on the email joema.
Would dispute Canal End gets more TV exposure. There is nothing special about the Canal End. TV coverage at CP on big match days always focuses on whichever fans are on the Hill.

How can you guarantee that in every game Ireland will be playing into the 'home' end in every game?

joema
21/04/2006, 8:00 PM
Id definitly be in favour of the canal end - the roof will ensure for louder noise. And its always better behind the goal IMO

The Hill will be used to hold away fans - John Delaney has already stated that

zinedineontour
22/04/2006, 9:08 AM
singing section ..... that made me laugh .. get over it lads aint gonna ever happen .. the fai handling of tickets is shoddy enough without having to organise a seperate section for people who want to sing . to be honest the atmosphere at lansdowne is good for the big games so dont forsee any problems at croker for any of the games

joema
22/04/2006, 12:33 PM
singing section ..... that made me laugh .. get over it lads aint gonna ever happen .. the fai handling of tickets is shoddy enough without having to organise a seperate section for people who want to sing . to be honest the atmosphere at lansdowne is good for the big games so dont forsee any problems at croker for any of the games

Give the Fai some credit - how hard can it be to organise?

"get over it lads aint gonna ever happen

How do you know its not going to work? Its definitly worth a try anyway - youd be surprised what a bit of fan power can do

As for atmosphere at home matches - its not always good for the big games - yes it was good for the France game...until they scored, then it was impossible to get people going. If there was a designated area this would not be the case. And for the other big game agains Switzerland the atmosphere wasnt that good atall - I mean we only have 3 songs ffs!

Zinedine, do you like being told to sit down? Would you not rather stand and sing? You do realise that if we had a singing section we could maybe sing more than the 3 songs we currently have (Ireland clap,clap,clap, Stand up for boys in green and Come on you boys in green)

Also, its not just about the "big" games - every Ireland game is a big game - this designated singing area would improve the atmosphere at ALL games.

Saint Tom
22/04/2006, 1:56 PM
could only be an improvement

Forever Dreamin
22/04/2006, 2:27 PM
Also, its not just about the "big" games - every Ireland game is a big game - this designated singing area would improve the atmosphere at ALL games.[/QUOTE]

Hear Hear

MariborKev
22/04/2006, 7:21 PM
Lads,

I have stuck up a thread on the NLSA forum about this issue as well

http://nlsa.proboards62.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1145733613

To anyone that hasn't heard about the NLSA before you can learn more about the group and download a membership form through www.nlsupporters.com and the forum.

zinedineontour
22/04/2006, 9:39 PM
Lads,

I have stuck up a thread on the NLSA forum about this issue as well

http://nlsa.proboards62.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1145733613

To anyone that hasn't heard about the NLSA before you can learn more about the group and download a membership form through www.nlsupporters.com and the forum.

not saying its a bad idea really dont think it will happen though .. That would involve too much organistation for the fai.

joema
22/04/2006, 9:57 PM
not saying its a bad idea really dont think it will happen though .. That would involve too much organistation for the fai.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated

joema
23/04/2006, 3:46 PM
Fair play, Stu - I'll send my definite ideas on to you soon!

I'll post my ideas on the nlsa message board Stu

cullenswood
24/04/2006, 7:56 AM
Has anyone got any type of a reply from the FAI yet?

joema
24/04/2006, 11:43 AM
Has anyone got any type of a reply from the FAI yet?

Yeah, they just said they hadnt decided arrangements for Croke Park tickets yet but that they took my idea on board and will notify block bookers and those on waiting list about arrangements in the future.

Also, thepeoples flag website said they are behind the idea and will put something up on their website about it tomorrow!! :)

Pat O' Banton
24/04/2006, 4:57 PM
Now is the best time to organise something like this. A couple of people have mentioned the problems that the Jungle Bhoys have had at Celtic Park, however thiis isn't really a corect analogy as the Ireland will be going into Croke Park without having the constriction of people retaining block booking seats. At Celtic the Ultras are confronted by the club shifting them around the place to accomodate them while not moving season ticket holders (and also having to placate the Strathclyde police). So now is the time to get in an get organised because of it doesn't happen now the FAI will have place the block bookers and won't be shifting them to accommodate a singing section.

Secondly don't get disheartened if you have a slow start to this, the more displays you put on the more people will be interested in joining, it can have a real cause and effect. But people will expect someone to do all the donkey work first.

joema
24/04/2006, 5:58 PM
Now is the best time to organise something like this. A couple of people have mentioned the problems that the Jungle Bhoys have had at Celtic Park, however thiis isn't really a corect analogy as the Ireland will be going into Croke Park without having the constriction of people retaining block booking seats. At Celtic the Ultras are confronted by the club shifting them around the place to accomodate them while not moving season ticket holders (and also having to placate the Strathclyde police). So now is the time to get in an get organised because of it doesn't happen now the FAI will have place the block bookers and won't be shifting them to accommodate a singing section.

Secondly don't get disheartened if you have a slow start to this, the more displays you put on the more people will be interested in joining, it can have a real cause and effect. But people will expect someone to do all the donkey work first.

Yeah - now is the time to do it - we need to tell as many people as possible and put as much pressure on the fai as possible - keep posting new ideas here as the fai know about this thread and Im sure they are keeping an eye on it.

Who here HAS e-mailed the fai so far?
The followinh have - more need to

Joema
Saint Tom
Karlos Irl

Also, mods any chance ot this being made a sticky

eirebhoy
24/04/2006, 6:12 PM
Also, mods any chance ot this being made a sticky
Stickies tend to get less views than normal threads and there isn't really a point in sticking it as the forum isn't too busy.

joema
24/04/2006, 6:45 PM
Stickies tend to get less views than normal threads and there isn't really a point in sticking it as the forum isn't too busy.

Fair enough - they are probobly less viewed. Anyway there is enough activity in this thread for it to stay near the top for the time being anyway

Saint Tom
24/04/2006, 7:10 PM
the guys at thepeoplesflag.com should be credited. spread the word lads! the more who know the better the chances

Karlos
24/04/2006, 11:58 PM
I'll certainly continue to post pieces up about this on the blog - not that anyone reads it, mind! :eek:

From small acorns....and all that!! :)

reder
25/04/2006, 9:12 AM
This is a great idea, I am a block booker in my 20's who sits in the west stand and dont get me wrong the guys who sit around me are dead on but standing and singing just doesnt happen. I think having the canal lower as the home end with EL fans and block bookers who want to stand and sing is ideal.

NeilMcD
25/04/2006, 9:17 AM
Sorry to be a linguistic pedant, but this one is amusing because the mistake actually infers the opposite of what you want to say :D :

"off the view", means you no longer think it is true,
"of the view", means you do think it is true.

Purely a typo there sorry about that.

I was speaking to one of my mates who goes to all the Scotland games at home and away and he said that the Scots have an end at Hampden which is for fans that wish to sing and stand. However this is rather unnofficial and is done through word of mouth and through websites like this. They can choose where they want to sit in the ground and it is posted up on messageboards that ifyou wanna sing and stand etc sit in the North end for example. He also reckons the key to this is having a family section in the ground. This would cater for parents with kids or elderly people who wish to sit down. This would then free up the rest of the stadium for anybody to stand up and sing. A thing to be wary about is that the FAI cannot officially have a section for fans to stand up as you are not supposed to stand up.

NeilMcD
25/04/2006, 9:20 AM
I have e mailed also.

Jerry The Saint
25/04/2006, 10:03 AM
the canal end lower is where we want

I just read this now but I'm not alone in thinking that the Canal Lower is probably the worst part of the ground to watch a game in especially if you're way down near the front. At least they shouldn't have the big nets behind the goals which usually obstruct your view. Like the rest of the lower tiers you won't be covered in the bottom 25 rows or so either.

I think Canal Upper is a better option but I suppose it's not as if they'll give us a choice of seats. I'll just be happy to be inside the ground. :)