Mr A
19/04/2006, 4:10 PM
Preview now online at www.finnharps.com

nismo
19/04/2006, 6:26 PM
im putting money on rams in this one.

Mr A
19/04/2006, 6:56 PM
Harps home form is diabolical, and I guess there'll be more pressure on the home side. However, Cobh have problems of their own I can see, and Harps can't keep being so rubbish indefinately- the team is better than they've shown so far.

Comic Book Guy
19/04/2006, 11:43 PM
Both teams can't go on being rubbish indefinitely, I know we were bad last Saturday but when it was 1-1 we had a stonewall cast iron penalty turned down, when the opposition manager is quoted as saying so in the Echo then you can be certain that the ref f***** up, yet no mention of it here.There is a very fine line between success and failure.Two weeks ago Dundalk had lost 4 on the bounce and now win 2 in a row and are being talked about as promotion contenders.
I reckon this Ramblers team will come good, there are too many good players in the side for it not to happen.

cobhrambler20
20/04/2006, 8:55 PM
Both teams can't go on being rubbish indefinitely, I know we were bad last Saturday but when it was 1-1 we had a stonewall cast iron penalty turned down, when the opposition manager is quoted as saying so in the Echo then you can be certain that the ref f***** up, yet no mention of it here.There is a very fine line between success and failure.Two weeks ago Dundalk had lost 4 on the bounce and now win 2 in a row and are being talked about as promotion contenders.
I reckon this Ramblers team will come good, there are too many good players in the side for it not to happen.
I agree it was defo a penalty and should have been given but as useual in cobh we dont get these decisions and also why didnt the assisant flag is i was standing behind him and he was directly in line with the reilly when he was dragged down. To many decisions have gone against us like yelve getting batterd against kilkenny and nobodys booked yet hes dismissed for two harsh yellows
and yet pat kelly the assesor sends them down yet and yet again.

Comic Book Guy
20/04/2006, 11:11 PM
I think your last sentence is the issue here, after all we're little Cobh Ramblers, we're meant to put up with what ever gets sent our way, can you imagine if one of the big clubs were on the receiving end of similar decisions?
That said it does not take away from the poor team performances of the past few weeks.

Mr A
22/04/2006, 11:19 AM
There's more preview material up on www.finnharps.com

Mr A
22/04/2006, 7:07 PM
Match updates are on http://www.irishfootienetwork.com/viewtopic.php?p=33256#33256 live commentary on http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/listenDonegal.php

Dj Duffer
22/04/2006, 7:22 PM
Rams 1 up Darren Murphy lets hope they hold on!!

Dj Duffer
22/04/2006, 9:13 PM
Spoke too soon, they drew 1-1.

nismo
22/04/2006, 11:20 PM
ill take a draw away anyday

ramblers
23/04/2006, 8:14 AM
From what I gather not a great game. Both teams looking for points and both failed.

All I can say to all those who think hendo can turn it around is the Table does not lie.We are at the bottom for a reason!!!!!

fc hammer
23/04/2006, 12:10 PM
From what I gather not a great game. Both teams looking for points and both failed.

All I can say to all those who think hendo can turn it around is the Table does not lie.We are at the bottom for a reason!!!!!

Mod Edit :

fc hammer, try and contribute a bit more than that to the debate. You are deliberately trying to provoke with those comments, stop it.

monzo
23/04/2006, 1:03 PM
Here's my review. Not much there from a Cobh perspective though. Was impressed with your number eight, Murphy and McCarthy in nets.

Finn Harps 1 - 1 Cobh Ramblers
Finn Harps' disappointing home form got no better at Finn Park on Saturday night as Cobh Ramblers held them to a one-all draw.

After a bad first half, with Darren Murphy putting the Corkmen in front, Harps settled in the second half and were unlucky not to add to Shane Bradley's penalty conversion in the 55th minute.

Despite the same scoreline this was an improvement from Monday night's dejected performance against Athlone Town. Indeed had the Harps frontline made the most of their chances a convincing win would have been the outcome. However as Cobh stamped their authority on the game in the first half a draw was perhaps fair.

Anthony Gorman made two changes to Harps' line-up with David Bell coming in for the suspended Jonathan Minnock at left back while James Gallagher made his first start in nets since the final game in 2004 when Harps wrapped up the title. The Gweedore man replaced Gavin Cullen who was carrying a knock. Gorman kept faith in the strike partnership of Chris Breen and Davitt Walsh who have each yet to open their scoring account for the club this season. Shane Bradley took the captain's armband from Cullen as he continued alongside Marc Mokendi who has impressed in recent weeks.

Playing in front of only 350 or so, Harps had the first shot in anger through Stephen O'Donnell's long range effort but it was of no trouble to Cobh keeper James McCarthy.

A couple of minutes later Davitt Walsh chased a high through ball but McCarthy rose highest in the aerial duel.

Twenty minutes into the match Cobh and in particular Darren Murphy began to stamp some authority on the game and on 25 minutes Murphy put the southerners one-nil up. Defender Alan Carey's corner was flicked on to the path of Murphy who made no mistake in firing past James Gallagher from the edge of the box.

Cobh nearly doubled their lead right after the kick-off as former Cork City forward Willie Bruton saw his well-hit shot go over the bar.

On 31 minutes Chris Breen failed to convert after played through by Anthony Gorman. Michael Funston then watched his shot fall narrowly wide of the target. Ten minutes before the interval Barry Curran should have done better when Walsh found him free but the former Newry man skewed his effort well wide into the River Finn.

Within two minutes Curran had another chance to bring Harps to level terms when he drifted inside from the right but his shot went narrowly wide of McCarthy's right post.

After the restart Curran threatened once again when he raced clear of his marker but McCarthy dashed out of his goal to push the winger's shot out for a corner.

On 55 minutes Chris Breen was recklessy apprehended by David Breen in the penalty box and referee Neil Doyle had no hesitation in awarding the home side a penalty. Captain Shane Bradley stepped up and hammered the ball home past McCarthy to send the Finn Park faithful into elation.

Twenty minutes before full-time Chris Breen raced clear of his marker before unleashing an exceptional shot which much to his misfortune whacked off the crossbar. Barry Curran then had a guilt-edged chance to put Harps in front but he put his effort wide of the mark from close range. Shortly afterwards Chris Breen was incensed when the referee failed to award Harps a penalty, instead awarding an indirect free kick inside the box. The ball was layed off to Gorman who drilled the ball into the net. However the referee was quick to disallow it having blown his whistle prior to Gorman's strike. O'Donnell put the second attempt wide - much to the relief of the small group of Cobh supporters scattered around the ground.

In the fourth minute of stoppage time Chris Breen squandered his chance of a last gasp winner. This proved to be the final chance of the game as Neil Doyle blew his whistle signalling full-time.

Best for Harps were Barry Curran and Stephen O'Donnell with the former terrorising the Cobh rearguard throughout the match with his pace. O'Donnell impressed those present with his determination and guile. Bell, Bradley, Mukendi and Gallagher all put in good performances but the fact that Harps were unable to beat a Cobh side bottom of the table is less than pleasing.

The Ballybofey men host Shamrock Rovers next Saturday at Finn Park and Gorman's troops will have to be at their best if they are to get anything from Pat Scully's side.

nismo
23/04/2006, 3:15 PM
mod edit

another limerick troll.

god help us if we go on there part and troll,we'd be banned no questions asked!

racism against cobh people me thinks...

Comic Book Guy
23/04/2006, 8:37 PM
mod edit

Well if your performance against us a few weeks ago is anything to go by, I would not get carried away, we will get better and climb that table.

fc hammer
24/04/2006, 7:52 AM
Well if your performance against us a few weeks ago is anything to go by, I would not get carried away, we will get better and climb that table.

that maybe true, but the blues are still at the end of the day pick'n up the points and at the top bar 1 of the table:) not playing at your best and still picking up points that speaks for itself!!!!!!

nismo
24/04/2006, 8:27 AM
never mind the troll CBG...hes a sing when your winning type :rolleyes:

fc hammer
24/04/2006, 10:23 AM
never mind the troll CBG...hes a sing when your winning type :rolleyes:

its good!!!! and better than being the strongest(holding it up) team in the 1th division:)

cobhrambler20
24/04/2006, 12:59 PM
Ramblers and harps are better teams then there league position suggests not many teams will come away from ballyboffey with points this season hopefully this is ramblers turning the corner and the start of our climb up the table Galway next saturday should be a real eye opener
As for Limerick i expect there challange to peter out as they dont have a squad big enough to last the pace...:)

fc hammer
24/04/2006, 2:05 PM
Ramblers and harps are better teams then there league position suggests not many teams will come away from ballyboffey with points this season hopefully this is ramblers turning the corner and the start of our climb up the table Galway next saturday should be a real eye opener
As for Limerick i expect there challange to peter out as they dont have a squad big enough to last the pace...:)

dont think so finn harps are a very poor side from what i saw last week,you should be comming away with a handy 3 points but i suppose when a club is at the bottom of the division they'll be greatfull for any point they can get.Galway are a far stronger side you lot will be doing well to get a point from that game dont expect you will though.as for Limerick i would'nt be to worried about them the'll do well this season..:)