PDA

View Full Version : More TV games - dates moved

Danny
19/04/2006, 1:27 PM
http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=4448

Cork v Shels and Derry V Cork on MONDAY nites live on setanta.
brutal for travelling fans

Rory H
19/04/2006, 1:31 PM
indeed...

why mondays..is it because it clashes with rugby or football related?

pete
19/04/2006, 1:59 PM
These games were originally announced for the fridays. is it acceptable that can change?

Danny
19/04/2006, 2:02 PM
suppose its more than 3 weeks til the matches so not many ppl would have arrangements booked for them yet. Just hope its not the start of all live games going onto monday nites. Its bad enough with league games on thurs/fri/sat

daveh
19/04/2006, 2:03 PM
Was the derry game not meant to be on RTÉ??

EnDai
19/04/2006, 2:03 PM
Ah, a ploy to stop people travelling! Marvellous!

Raheny Red
19/04/2006, 2:06 PM
What a joke! Could have got a decent number travelling down and now it is on a Monday evening, it is really farcial at this stage that fixtures are being changed for the TV. While I welcome tv exposure this is just not on!

centre mid
19/04/2006, 2:13 PM
its a bitter pill but one we may just have to accept, at the time Sky bought the rights to the premiership all games were sat 3.00 pm apart from the odd one moved, Sky introduced Monday Night live tv and proved to be a huge success. Its now the norm for more games to take place at times other that 3.00pm Sat. If we want coverage and exposure then we may have no choice bet to accept that games may be moved, as long as its not with 48 hrs notice or something

EnDai
19/04/2006, 2:26 PM
its a bitter pill but one we may just have to accept, at the time Sky bought the rights to the premiership all games were sat 3.00 pm apart from the odd one moved, Sky introduced Monday Night live tv and proved to be a huge success. Its now the norm for more games to take place at times other that 3.00pm Sat. If we want coverage and exposure then we may have no choice bet to accept that games may be moved, as long as its not with 48 hrs notice or something
You do speak sense I suppose. It has to be tried I guess, maybe they got really good viewing figures for the Monday Setanta games. It's something thats been proven to work, so for the time being you are right in that we should accept it and see how things go.

Cosmo
19/04/2006, 3:11 PM
No way Dodge!!

If sufficient notice is given I would love to see a 'live football' night for the Eircom League on the tv.

I'm p!ssed off that I dont get to see feck all live matches with them being shown on Fridays!!

Looking forward to sitting on the barstool for Monday Night Football :)

Dodge
19/04/2006, 3:22 PM
No way Dodge!!
Sorry?! :p

Cosmo
19/04/2006, 3:47 PM
Sorry?! :p

Sorry, oviously meant Danny :D

garykelly
19/04/2006, 4:33 PM
just wondering would Setanta not know at the start of the season that they'd be covering these games and if so why didnt they move them then. Also how much do teams get from Setanta showing their EL games live ?

Is it worth more than the revenue they'll lose at the gate ?

3 weeks may be enough time etc etc, but what does it make the league look like shifting fixtures 3 weeks before a match. these schedules should all be worked out already

The Premership is a massive league. they could move games to wednesdays at 2am and they'd still get massive viewings. Personally i think to raise the profile of our league, the games should be concentrated into two days max. Instead of being all over the place.from fridays to thursdays or fridays to mondays. looks very unprofessional to be chopping & changing.

MariborKev
19/04/2006, 5:56 PM
Is it worth more than the revenue they'll lose at the gate ?

Yes, it usually covers it

A face
19/04/2006, 11:24 PM
Derry V Cork on MONDAY nites live on setanta.

The best trip of the season down the toilet .... super, just fúcking great that is !! :( :mad:

Speranza
20/04/2006, 1:09 AM
Don't worry Face, there will be another chance to visit God's country later in the season.

Danny
20/04/2006, 8:50 AM
shels v drogs also moved - to thursday this time and this article says it is because of the problem of live games going up against the majority of the league matches.

http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=4449

max power
20/04/2006, 12:28 PM
Don't worry Face, there will be another chance to visit God's country later in the season.

God's ??? i thought it was the Queens:D ;)

i think it ok if its between to clubs with easy reach but any club heading to cork on a monday or derry is a dead lose, maybe even Longford too.

But games between dublin clubs or bray or drogs would be fine, whats the difference there between friday and monday.

pineapple stu
20/04/2006, 12:39 PM
shels v drogs also moved - to thursday this time and this article says it is because of the problem of live games going up against the majority of the league matches.
In fairness, what's the average TV rating for a league game? 100000? And what's the average number of people at an eL game of a Friday night? 10000? You're not going to get the fans who go to the game in question anyway, which will be a sizeable chunk as they're likely to be showing the biggest game anyway. So you're talking about moving the game for the sake of targetting - not necessarily getting - another 7000 viewers? Not exactly a huge amount compared to the overall viewer figures.

Schumi
20/04/2006, 12:44 PM
I took it to mean that attendances at the other games were down due the TV game clashing.

pineapple stu
20/04/2006, 12:48 PM
I don't get that either. Sure you're going to screw over Derry v Cork now. Is there any evidence that crowds are lower when there's a game on? I haven't seen any on the attendances thread. You're now going to give some games a small boost (at best) to hit the biggest game of the weekend. Cutting off your nose to spite your face and all that?