PDA

View Full Version : UCD pre-season friendlies

Schumi
13/06/2002, 4:13 PM
There's a list of pre-season games somewhere else but I'm not sure if all these are there:

Thursday 20/06/02 - 19:45 - Dundalk - Belfield
Saturday 22/06/02 - 15:00 - Ashtown Villa - Belfield
Wednesday 26/06/02 - 19:00 - Kildare County - Station Road
Friday 28/06/02 - 19:30 - Kilkenny City - Buckley Park
Saturday 29/06/02 - 15:00 - Waterford United - R.S.C.

Schumi
21/06/2002, 8:45 PM
UCD started their pre-season with an at-times-promising display against FAI Cup champions Dundalk.

Due to the game starting 15 minutes earlier than advertised, I missed the first two goals: a penalty by Robbie Martin for UCD and an O.G. by Richie Purdy to put Dundalk level as I arrived. That was all the scoring for the first half and there were few enough chances although Barry Ryan in the UCD goal made some useful saves.

The second half started brightly for UCD with the midfield, led by Sean Finn back from America again, dominating their opposite numbers. UCD's play was rewarded with two goals from Finn to put them 3-1 up and at this stage they seemed to be cruising. This feeling was re-enforced when recent signing Robbie Doyle, who impressed on his UCD debut, smashed a shot off the bar. The rebound came to last year's top scorer, Robbie Martin, who form an awkward angle hit the post.

UCD seemed to lose concentration after a raft of substitutions and Dundalk deservedly pulled a goal back after some slack defending near the end. Neither side seemed too bothered about pushing for more goals and the game peetered out.

Overall it was a good display by UCD with Robbie Doyle looking set to provide the extra attacking threat that we missed last year after Derek Swan's retirement. Sean Finn and Robbie Martin were impressive as usual. The substitutions made it difficult to judge the rest of the team but the defence seemed a little porous.

Aberdonian Stu
26/06/2002, 1:05 PM
UCD face a stern challenge tonight as they struggle to cope with a club that might have less fans than they have.

Aberdonian Stu
26/06/2002, 1:06 PM
I'm insulted to see that I am a mere new signing, surely the title of Apprentice should be mine by now!