PDA

View Full Version : Rovers are in the top flight: Where have the fans gone?

sligoman
14/04/2006, 2:25 PM
Good article by Gerry Farry in the Weekender:

One of my guests on last Tuesday’s North West Today programme on Ocean FM was Finbar Flood, the chairman of Shelbourne Football Club, a man, who, as well as being the former managing director of Guinness PLC and chairman of the Labour Court, was also goalkeeper for Sligo Rovers in the then League of Ireland for over five years.
It was back in the 1950s that Finbar played in The Showgrounds and he spoke to me in glowing terms of how well the players were treated by the then chairman, Charlie Courtney, and the club committee, and how he loves going back to The Showgrounds now when he can.
We also spoke about the progress made both on and off the field by his present club, Shelbourne, in recent years.
He also spoke of the constant struggle which all eircom League clubs have to undertake, to not only ensure that they are successful on the field of play but to also keep themselves solvent while doing this.
The fine balance between success and failure on the field of play is well known to all of us who follow football, but the balance between success and failure commercially and financially is another matter altogether.
Let us look at our own club, Sligo Rovers. For several years, we would all bump into former patrons of The Showgrounds who would tell us that they had no interest in going to see matches against the teams in the eircom First Division.
Their usual catchphrase was ‘if only Rovers were in the Premier League that would be a different story’.
The club’s committee members were also well used to hearing these stories and proceeded to put a plan together to bring Rovers back to the top table of the eircom League.
Last year’s success story has been well documented, but prior to that, the management committee were working away tirelessly to give the public the proper type of stadium with which to deliver the product.
Although not quite finished yet, The Showgrounds is nearly unrecognisable from the type of ground it was 10 years ago.
The floodlights, the new stand, the astroturf pitches and the new retaining wall have all been put in place while the club were being put on a sound financial footing and were also building to where the team is today.
The new UEFA Licensing regulations have no grey areas when it comes to financial matters. All financial demands, including taxation etc., must be up to scratch.
Only last week, the aforementioned Shelbourne had to fork out upwards of a quarter of a million euro because they missed a payment deadline. It really is that strict.
For their part, Sligo Rovers have met all their obligations while still managing to deliver success on the field of play.
Promotion to the Premier Division brings with it a whole series of problems. The management committee have to make the decision of whether to trust in what they have already or whether they should invest in bringing in new and potentially better, but more expensive players.
Quite rightly, I feel the management committee have gone along with the wishes of the manager and the team has undergone a transformation from the one that gained promotion.
Financial constraints have meant bringing in younger professionals but, despite that, I would have thought that the general public would have faith in judgement which has been proven to be sound. Sadly, I have been proved very wrong.Read more... (http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story.asp?j=27463)

The Stars
14/04/2006, 2:34 PM
true,so true

SligoBrewer
17/04/2006, 10:09 PM
its not very difficult to find out why people aren't abadoning ant & dec...

who would want to pay €45 ( for a family)to see the type of football played by Rovers nd Waterford in the 1st half.
Atmosphere appalling...

I know i sound like a cheapskate but i'm right.
REDUCED PRICES = MORE PEOPLE!

gustavo
17/04/2006, 10:17 PM
Dont agree with you there SligoBrewer..
If we didnt raise the prices this season we wouldnt be able to afford the wages of a squad capable of Premier Division football ..
Also no league in the world guarantees that every game will be good quality even in La Liga theres awful matches

SligoBrewer
17/04/2006, 10:23 PM
i know they needed to be raised.

€13 adults
€6 students / oaps
€4 u-12

enough.

gustavo
17/04/2006, 10:27 PM
Fair enough like but thats still below the Premier Division average.

SligoBrewer
17/04/2006, 10:31 PM
which prices?

gustavo
17/04/2006, 10:32 PM
The prices you suggest are below the Premier Division average admission prices

Risteard
17/04/2006, 10:34 PM
Jayz lads, i wouldn't be getting too worried if i was ye.
2,200 is the only figure i saw there but that's very fecking good relative to some teams about the Premier. Take a look at Limerick and Galways crowds, never mind UCD and CHF. Think Waterford and Shels are probably not as well-supported as ye even.
Its early in the season yet. I think all the crowds are low at this stage of the season. If yer anywhere near fighting for Europe or fighting relegation by the end of the season yer crowds should be huge.
I was amazed at yer attendances last year alright.
Was up in the old madhouse on the hill there a couple of weeks ago for the weekend. i drove round the town for an hour before i gave up on looking for the showgies (people giving me directions were the biggest selection of nutcases ever). Is it far out?
Should be a good addition to the away trips this year.

SligoBrewer
17/04/2006, 10:42 PM
and next year hopefully.

its a 10 minute walk 4m town.

we need bigger crowds.
Period.

gustavo
18/04/2006, 12:15 AM
im not even sure that the crowds have "gone" as such
for most of last season our crowds were in and around the 1500-1800 region just towards the end of the season they increased . according to the attendances thread in the general eL section our average for last season was 1794 so all our home games so far this season have gotten higher than that.

marktis
18/04/2006, 11:28 AM
The article is very negative towards supporters. To see the crowds jump from a couple of hundred towards the end of 2004 to the an average of over 2000 so far this season (in little more than 18 months) is amazing. Rovers already have one of the best home attendances in the Premier Division. Surely the Mgmt Committee did not expect to get the Athlone Town home match (Nov 05) attendances for all league matches this season.

We have seen a 50% price increase in the price of tickets this season which is off putting for some punters. Just because other teams in the premier division charge 15 euro - does this mean Rovers have to do the same?

Surely what must be done by the club is to secure more commercial opportunites like last weeks deal with the Radisson hotel.

Rory H
18/04/2006, 11:32 AM
there crowd will go up by 1000 for the shels game.....thats the problem...damn fickleness

The Stars
18/04/2006, 3:37 PM
i dont think 1000 but it will be an increase,especially after the win on saturday.

garykelly
18/04/2006, 3:56 PM
our home games against derry city and cork city should yield the seasons biggest attendances. they'll bring massive away support and people that dont normally go to games (shame.shame.shame) have an interest in seeing the likes of derry and cork.

the longer we can stay near the top the better it will be. we're doing ok so far and long may it last.

bomber82290
19/04/2006, 4:41 AM
Think the derry game is set up for a tuesday nite and were only at home once.

garykelly
19/04/2006, 2:34 PM
thats a pity. they'll still bring a crowd. but nothing like what would come down on a saturday...oh well. :rolleyes:

SligoBrewer
20/04/2006, 10:37 PM
indeed

sligobhoy67
21/04/2006, 3:33 PM
15 yo yos is a bit much I think but there is nothin we can do about it, no more increasing in admin for a few years from now on and it should be fine - for how many years was it £3.50 seemed like a decade - I wouldnt know anyway I was either a ball boy or jumped the wall at the bottom of Tracey Avenue and then did my impression of Brian O'Driscoll past the stewards - anyway we still get good crowds and were still revvin up.

Weathers getting better and we still havent had a bad result at home so the crowds will build up and up I hope.

Ash
21/04/2006, 3:41 PM
What's the minimum Clubs are allowed to charge in the Premier.

I remember, and still know people complaining about Athlone charging
€10 in the Nationwide Division but that's the minimum charge they were
permitted to charge by FAI regulations (AFAIK)

Bravo
27/04/2006, 12:55 PM
I was chatting to a couple of friends in England recently who are Palace fans & they were telling me that their homes games are graded A,B & C (or something like that)… i.e. if Rovers were to play the likes of Derry, Cork, Shels or Drogs you would grade these as A (Top 4) & the price of the match ticket would be set accordingly (charge top dollar) and as the quality of the opposition decreases so to would the price into the game. I am sure this would encourage people to come to the less attractive games and you could gain extra revenue from the top games?

sligobhoy67
27/04/2006, 4:51 PM
Yeha most team in England do that

Grade A (top price) games are usually Man U, Liv, Ars, Chelsea and Derby gaem

B are Mid teams - Spurs, Newcastle, Villa

C grade are the newly promoted teams and the likes of Charlton etc.

All grades are set prior to the season starting.

Fivesilver
29/04/2006, 6:28 PM
A bit unfair on travelling fans, though. If you're following Derry, for example, and find that every away ground is charging you more than they're charging fans of other teams . . .

SligoBrewer
30/04/2006, 3:18 PM
derry have loads of money...we don't. tough sh!t