PDA

View Full Version : Snooker World Championship

DmanDmythDledge
14/04/2006, 1:53 PM
I'm going for Higgins to win this. It will be him and either Murphy or Maguire in the final, imo.

Clifford
18/04/2006, 9:18 AM
Good call ^^^^^^^

Qualifier Mark Selby caused the first shock of the 2006 World Snooker Championship by beating 1998 winner John Higgins 10-4 on Sunday.
Selby, provisionally ranked 34, took a 6-3 lead into the final session, which was reduced to 6-4 after Higgins won the opening frame.

But the 22-year-old made a 123 and 58 break, before Higgins missed a yellow in the 13th to gift Selby the frame.

A 14th frame break of 110 ensured Selby of a famous victory.

Clifford
18/04/2006, 9:19 AM
I backed Matthew Stevens at 16-1. Seems to have a nice draw.

holidaysong
18/04/2006, 11:26 AM
Selby played very well and Higgins wasn't on form at all. Good win for him. Ken Doherty also was playing quite well in his first round match. Who does he face in the second round?

pineapple stu
18/04/2006, 12:30 PM
Matthew Stevens.

Dodge
18/04/2006, 1:09 PM
BTW for those of you with NTL or UTV internet, you can watch this online through the BBC website (thanks to a Uk based IP address)

Doherty started well

FarBeag
24/04/2006, 3:04 PM
Doherty is doing very well against Matthew Stevens. 12-8 up with five to play.I like Ken,hope he goes on to win it outright. Jaysus dont know what sort of youth tablets he takes but he has never aged one bit from the first time i saw him play.

pineapple stu
24/04/2006, 3:08 PM
In fairness, he's only now catching up to the age he looks!

as_i_say
24/04/2006, 3:24 PM
heh. its true-he's 37 this year! maybe the scar is the source of his youth:

"Ken, who is married to an Australian woman called Sarah, was nearly blinded in 2002 in a bathroom accident; after slipping, he struck an ornament, which narrowly missed his left eye. However, his distinctive scar on his right cheek dates back to his seventh birthday, when he fell off a shed roof on to a metal dustbin."

good man ken.

as_i_say
24/04/2006, 3:38 PM
victory for ken 13-8. legend.

Risteard
24/04/2006, 10:15 PM
heh. its true-he's 37 this year! maybe the scar is the source of his youth:

"Ken, who is married to an Australian woman called Sarah, was nearly blinded in 2002 in a bathroom accident; after slipping, he struck an ornament, which narrowly missed his left eye. However, his distinctive scar on his right cheek dates back to his seventh birthday, when he fell off a shed roof on to a metal dustbin."

good man ken.
:D
Very funny.

Seems like a good fella.
I like shouting him on at the Crucible.
Never got the whole Jimmy White thing at all.

CollegeTillIDie
26/04/2006, 6:58 AM
:D
Very funny.

Seems like a good fella.
I like shouting him on at the Crucible.
Never got the whole Jimmy White thing at all.

The Jimmy White thing is this. The one thing an Irish sports fan like is an heroic English failure. Someone who has the real luck of the Irish we like.
Jimmy comes close to the big prizes but no cigar. That's something we identify with. I admire Paula Radcliffe because she comes back from adversity
The male version ...Jimmy is that man . Plus he loves the place and spends a lot of time here.

The Stars
26/04/2006, 5:30 PM
anyone know who won the 14th frame in the Murphy v Ebdon match?

Just got the result of the Doherty Fu match....wanted ken to win but backed Fu at 12-5 so not complaining.

DmanDmythDledge
26/04/2006, 5:34 PM
anyone know who won the 14th frame in the Murphy v Ebdon match?
Murphy won with a break of 83.

The Stars
26/04/2006, 8:26 PM
Sh!te...had ebdon to win that frame....cheers anyway dmand

Ebdon through now anyway and would be a good bet to win it.Was 6-1 at lunch time but he is probably 2-1 or so now.

Risteard
26/04/2006, 10:16 PM
The Jimmy White thing is this. The one thing an Irish sports fan like is an heroic English failure. Someone who has the real luck of the Irish we like.
Jimmy comes close to the big prizes but no cigar. That's something we identify with. I admire Paula Radcliffe because she comes back from adversity
The male version ...Jimmy is that man . Plus he loves the place and spends a lot of time here.

You're probably spot on CTID.
Met him myself with Davis and found the nugget much more endearing.
But Ken is the man to get behind:) . . . . . next year.:o

Schumi
27/04/2006, 11:34 AM
Great finish to Dott - Robertson last night.

Rory H
27/04/2006, 11:35 AM
twas

shame doherty blew it as per usual

OwlsFan
27/04/2006, 11:53 AM
twas

shame doherty blew it as per usual

Bit harsh on someone who has won the World Championship. You want him to win it every year when he is not the most talented player by a long chalk (pun intended) but is a great fighter.

davey
28/04/2006, 6:09 PM
Anyone watch the first Fu - Ebdon session yesterday? Jesus wept:eek: Probably the most boring crucible session I've ever seen. Has livened up today though. Really hoping for an Ebdon - O'Sullivan final - grudge match of the highest order:D Also got a ticket for Monday - last day of the final - Can't wait!!

The Stars
28/04/2006, 7:31 PM
wouldnt mind watching ronnie but imagine paying to watch Ebdon play........like watching paint dry

DmanDmythDledge
30/04/2006, 11:48 PM
The final is turning out to be one of the worst that I've ever seen, exactly what I expected. I'd say Ebdon is shattered after his marathon against Fu, while Dott had an easier time against O'Sullivan.

HuRya
02/05/2006, 12:17 AM
The final is turning out to be one of the worst that I've ever seen, exactly what I expected. I'd say Ebdon is shattered after his marathon against Fu, while Dott had an easier time against O'Sullivan.

Dott 18-14 Ebdon...
deserved his win but surely he can do better on the wives' scene?

Risteard
02/05/2006, 8:10 AM
Oooh! Nasty.:)
Where was Ebdons?