PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Setanta Cup Final to be played at Tolka Park

Réiteoir
12/04/2006, 3:07 PM
The 2006 Setanta Sports Cup final between Cork City and Drogheda United next week will take place at Dublin’s Tolka Park.

Tolka was the venue for the inaugural decider last year, when Linfield got the better of home side Shelbourne on a 2-0 scoreline.

And the Richmond Road stadium will again be the centre of attention on Saturday week (April 22nd) as the top two teams in the eircom League do battle for outright honours in the cross-border competition.

Cork and Drogheda have already met twice in this season’s competition, the Leesiders coming out on top on both occasions, but Drogheda currently hold sway at the top of the eircom League, where they hold a two-point lead over the defending champions.

The Setanta decider is also a repeat of last season’s FAI Carlsberg Cup final, when the Drogs denied Cork the Double with a 2-0 win at Lansdowne Road.

Mouthpiece
12/04/2006, 3:48 PM
Makes sense I suppose,

You could hardly expect them both to travel north for a final kicking off at 7.15 on a Saturday evening

dcfcsteve
12/04/2006, 4:08 PM
Given that the Cup Final pairing of the 2 last year brought 25,000 to Lansdowne, will Tolka be big enough ?

I don't sense there's the same degree of buzz around the Setanta final as there was for the FAI Cup last year - but it would be strange to hold a bigger, more lucrative Final in a venue that would at most cater for only 40% of those who turned out to see the 2 sides in an arguably 'lesser' final only 4 months ago.

EnDai
12/04/2006, 4:19 PM
Sure its only in Tolka to stop Glen Fitz from looking a bit foolish! :)

paudie
12/04/2006, 4:26 PM
Given that the Cup Final pairing of the 2 last year brought 25,000 to Lansdowne, will Tolka be big enough ?

I don't sense there's the same degree of buzz around the Setanta final as there was for the FAI Cup last year - but it would be strange to hold a bigger, more lucrative Final in a venue that would at most cater for only 40% of those who turned out to see the 2 sides in an arguably 'lesser' final only 4 months ago.

But there is nowhere else.

Lansdowne road being used for Heineken Cup semi the following day.

Is the capacity of Dalymount bigger than Tolka? Only marginally if it is.

Croke Park is a bit too big:p

Actually Windsor PArk might be just the right size:D

Bald Student
12/04/2006, 4:47 PM
It's important to remember aswell that his is being organised by a telly company and a full Tolka will look a lot better than a mostly empty Lansdown (if it was available).

Poor Student
12/04/2006, 4:51 PM
How much money do Shels make having Tolka hired for such a game?

pete
12/04/2006, 4:55 PM
After costs taken off both clubs get 40% each of the gate receipts. Setanta get 20%.

Dalymount has good stand but the rest of the ground is a kip & would still have smaller capacity than Tolka. I am always surprised by desire of people to hold big games at Dalymount - they clearly never been to the Connaught st side.

Mouthpiece
12/04/2006, 5:16 PM
It's important to remember aswell that his is being organised by a telly company and a full Tolka will look a lot better than a mostly empty Lansdown (if it was available).

Think you might have hit the nail on the head here.

Windsor Park looked dreadful on the telly the other evening

Cosmo
12/04/2006, 5:32 PM
this match should sell out no bother

Just sick of playing the l@ngers at this stage :(

pete
12/04/2006, 5:49 PM
Just sick of playing the l@ngers at this stage :(

We are sick of playing ye too but thats more to do with winning than losing... :)

Cosmo
12/04/2006, 5:53 PM
We are sick of playing ye too but thats more to do with winning than losing... :)

100% record againt the l@ngers in cup finals - history is in our favour, lets hope we can keep up that stat :)

micls
12/04/2006, 7:34 PM
100% record againt the l@ngers in cup finals - history is in our favour, lets hope we can keep up that stat :)

I prefer this years stats....played ye 4 times scored 4 goals and conceded none :cool:

ndrog
12/04/2006, 10:09 PM
yeah ..against 9 men and then against our reservers :) bring it on !

Celdrog
12/04/2006, 11:31 PM
history is in our favour

:D :D

It's great having a history - pity it only started last year:o

Looks like cup finals are a bit like buses for us. Nothing for 29 years and then two come along one after another

micls
14/04/2006, 6:25 PM
yeah ..against 9 men and then against our reservers :) bring it on !

Don't worry we will ;) Just try to keep 11 men on the pitch this time so ther's no excuses :p

Cosmo
14/04/2006, 10:33 PM
Don't worry we will ;) Just try to keep 11 men on the pitch this time so ther's no excuses :p

Keep your players sober for a week (if at all possible) and hopefully we won't be hearing the same excuses again

A face
14/04/2006, 10:52 PM
Keep your players sober for a week (if at all possible) and hopefully we won't be hearing the same excuses again

You'll be wishing they were all píssed if you actually looked at the record from games against ye this year, you'd be buying them drinks yourself !! :D

Cosmo
14/04/2006, 11:00 PM
You'll be wishing they were all píssed if you actually looked at the record from games against ye this year, you'd be buying them drinks yourself !! :D

Are you talking about the time you beat our 9 mean or our reserves?

Or maybe the match you could only draw against our 10 men :p

micls
15/04/2006, 7:48 PM
Are you talking about the time you beat our 9 mean or our reserves?

Or maybe the match you could only draw against our 10 men :p

It kinda worries me how often drogs fans mention that they have yet to keep 11 men on the pitch against us. Not something i'd be proud of......:p

As sick as I am of Drogs I'm looking forward to what could be a very good game of football.

For me the best case scenario is both teams playing their best football and finishing with 11 men on the pitch. Then we could forget about all these excuses and all agree the best team won.

(however i'd settle for city winning well ether way with Connor getting sent off :p )

iceman
15/04/2006, 7:56 PM
Better still I'd settle for the game staying scoreless for 89 mins then Drogs get a corner , our "Dodgy 'keeper" makes a run from the centre circle and fires a powerful header into the l@ngers net - what a dream final!

micls
15/04/2006, 8:01 PM
Better still I'd settle for the game staying scoreless for 89 mins then Drogs get a corner , our "Dodgy 'keeper" makes a run from the centre circle and fires a powerful header into the l@ngers net - what a dream final!

Thats the right word alright :D