PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Setanta

Pages : [1] 2

micls
11/04/2006, 7:24 PM
Dunno if this is in the right forum so feel free to move it but just wanted to ask if anyone watching/listening to tonights setanta match could post general updates(halftime fulltime).

Would be much appreciated :)

A face
11/04/2006, 7:26 PM
Good call ... cant actually get to see it myself either !!

Any Drogs fans getting texts by any chance, can you post up here ??

Gareth
11/04/2006, 7:27 PM
Still 0-0 , 26 minutes gone

Gareth
11/04/2006, 7:33 PM
KEDDY GOAL, 30 yards out. Great goal

Gareth
11/04/2006, 7:35 PM
He got the ball from inside the Linfield half, moved forward. No one came near him. He took a pot at it and it flew in inside the keepers right upright. Excellent goal.

Dassa
11/04/2006, 7:35 PM
Hope this helps lads

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/4901254.stm

micls
11/04/2006, 7:37 PM
He got the ball from inside the Linfield half, moved forward. No one came near him. He took a pot at it and it flew in inside the keepers right upright. Excellent goal.

:mad: im so sick of playing drogheda.

Comon Linfield

micls
11/04/2006, 7:40 PM
Here you go a face http://www.linfieldfc.com/live.asp

It auto refreshes :D

Gareth
11/04/2006, 7:44 PM
2 minutes to half time now. Drogheda are equiping themselves well. I wouldn't care who I played if I was in the final micls, least your in the damn thing!! :eek:

A face
11/04/2006, 8:07 PM
Comon Linfield

Exactly what i was thinking .... Although they only thing i didn't like about playing Linfield was the trip up to Belfast, very long 9hrs each way, so i was looking into flights.

But if Drogs win, United park is not suitable so it would be Tolka or Dayler (please let there be a god and have it in Dayler) which would basically ensure that at least 5000 City fans will be there.

Its a win win situation i think !!

A face
11/04/2006, 8:20 PM
Does anyone know what happens if its a draw? Penos or what?

micls
11/04/2006, 8:32 PM
Does anyone know what happens if its a draw? Penos or what?

Extra time and penos afaik

Block G Raptor
11/04/2006, 8:55 PM
1-0 droggs FT. Great game

drummerboy
11/04/2006, 9:01 PM
Very impressed with Drogheda. Great win. Glen Fitzpatrick played a great game, its a pity his finishing isn't better. Could have had a hattrick. But his holding up of the ball and link up play was superb. Reckon Shels fans must be sick, he was moved on.

Poor Student
11/04/2006, 9:11 PM
I'll tell you this, Linfield's repertoire of songs are identical to Rangers. Tomorrow UEFA will make a decision on the acceptability of Rangers' chants. The likes of Hullo Hullo are clearly audiable on TV as are "the referee's a Fenian", mainly due in fact to the quality of the Linfield fans' participation.

I don't think Linfield's goal should have been ruled out. Keddy scored a fine goal but shouldn't have been given the space. Drogheda did what they've been doing all season, taking the lead and not letting anything past them. A decent defensive display by Drogs. Fitzpatrick did well to last so strongly the 90 minutes leading the line like that. Poor Barrett just had the ankles kicked off him.

Krstic
11/04/2006, 9:24 PM
I'll tell you this, Linfield's repertoire of songs are identical to Rangers. Tomorrow UEFA will make a decision on the acceptability of Rangers' chants. The likes of Hullo Hullo are clearly audiable on TV as are "the referee's a Fenian", mainly due in fact to the quality of the Linfield fans' participation.

And the Linfied fans reply will be, it's only a handful of morons.

**** sake it was so loud on TV, there must have been at least a 100 of them singing that ****e.

Ah well, they're where they belong now, in the Belfast and District league.:(

Conor H
11/04/2006, 9:36 PM
Ya i heard them alright.Also towards the end a good few remditions of "rule Britannia" and God save the Queen".
More than a handfull singing too.

Brendan
11/04/2006, 9:43 PM

Comon Linfield

ye haven't seen the best of us yet micls. i think we might finally do ourselves justice aganst ye in the final. looking forward to it - should be a full house in tolka (can anyone confirm thats where it will be?)

Conor H
11/04/2006, 9:50 PM
Yes final inTolka Park.Saturday 22nd April.
Would watch it but my beloved UTD will be taking the mighty Kildare CO. in Station Road....some things are just too important too miss.;) :) :cool:

micls
11/04/2006, 9:51 PM
ye haven't seen the best of us yet micls. i think we might finally do ourselves justice aganst ye in the final. looking forward to it - should be a full house in tolka (can anyone confirm thats where it will be?)

Ditto....

Will be confirmed tomorrow

JC_GUFC
11/04/2006, 10:02 PM
Not being funny but can anyone fill in the blanks....

You are a fenian
A Fenian *******
You're only happy
On ____ Day

As for the game Drogheda were excellent - the wide pitch really suited them and they fully deserved their victory. I thought Gavin & Gartland were excellent and surprised one of them didn't get MotM. The only weak link was the 'keeper who was the worst 'keeper in the air I've ever seen apart who hasn't played with United!!! :p
Linfield had 2 great chances early on from exposing him but didn't seem to try and exploit that - in fairness though his distribution and shot stopping was very good....

Dassa
11/04/2006, 10:17 PM
well done on the result for DUFC.

micls
11/04/2006, 10:25 PM
The only weak link was the 'keeper who was the worst 'keeper in the air I've ever seen apart who hasn't played with United!!! :p
Linfield had 2 great chances early on from exposing him but didn't seem to try and exploit that - in fairness though his distribution and shot stopping was very good....

Is Connor back for the final??

Final confirmed for Tolka on TV3

Dr.Nightdub
11/04/2006, 10:47 PM
After his performance against us last Friday, I assumed JC was TALKING about Connor! :D

micls
11/04/2006, 10:52 PM
After his performance against us last Friday, I assumed JC was TALKING about Connor! :D

he was banned but honestly don't know which I prefer. Connor is always nice to us :D

A face
11/04/2006, 10:58 PM
should be a full house in tolka (can anyone confirm thats where it will be?)

Well it seems that ye knew well in advance ... ffs !! :mad: :( ... pure Drogs !!

sonofstan
12/04/2006, 5:15 AM
Not being funny but can anyone fill in the blanks....

You are a fenian
A Fenian *******
You're only happy
On ____ Day

I liked 'you can stick your f**king euros up your hole'!

thomas
12/04/2006, 5:33 AM
I liked 'you can stick your f**king euros up your hole'!

Great stuff!

What about the Fenian stuff though, why is that offensive? Are we not proud fenians one and all? LOL!

As for rule britannia etc, it might be hard to swallow, but there's nothing wrong with it.

SeanDrog
12/04/2006, 7:20 AM
I thought it was hilarious listening to them singing those chants and then the reply from the drogs was "We're from Drogheda and we are better than you" :) That seemed to stump them :D

Those old chants just make the singers look stuoid and stuck in the past.

What was it Alan Mathews said - Drogheda are the best team in the country at the moment :D

BohDiddley
12/04/2006, 8:02 AM
Well played Drogheda. It was good to watch and you should have had more.
Have to admit I started off hoping Linfield would win, because that would have set up an interesting final, and they've done a service to us all in their Shels-baiting exploits. But their approach was clearly cynical, and it was good to see the team trying to play football win the day.
Someone might have a word with Doolin to be a little more generous, or even just happy, in victory. Introduced as manager of the cup champions, top of the league, and now in the SSC final, and he still managed to moan.

Jerry The Saint
12/04/2006, 9:20 AM
Ya i heard them alright.Also towards the end a good few remditions of "rule Britannia" and God save the Queen".
More than a handfull singing too.

That's no more offensive than someone singing "Ireland's Call"... oh wait.

ndrog
12/04/2006, 9:51 AM
"were not brazil were Drogheda united " went down a treat last night.....The linfield fans we met with during the day where sound as a pound :)

Not Brazil
12/04/2006, 10:01 AM
And the Linfied fans reply will be, it's only a handful of morons.

**** sake it was so loud on TV, there must have been at least a 100 of them singing that ****e.

Ah well, they're where they belong now, in the Belfast and District league.:(

Firstly, let me say well done to Drogs. They thoroughly deserved to win the game...no if's, but's, maybe's or any other excuses. Far and away the best performance we have seen from an away team (except Halmstad) at Windsor Park this season. Fair play and good luck.

Now Krstic.

I know one of the chips may have fallen off one of your shoulders, given your favourites failure to qualify from the group topped by Belfast & District Champions Linfield Football Club, but let's deal with some facts, shall we?

There were perhaps up to 300 so called Linfield fans who engaged in vile sectarian chanting at the game last night. The vast majority of these fans are only seen when Linfield play perceived "fenian" teams and Glentoran (who the cavemen also perceive as "fenian", given their rather limited brain capacity). Not for them Loughall away on a Tuesday night.

They also seem to forget that Linfield Football Club had several "fenians" playing last night in the famous Blue shirt, whose tradition these cavemen claim to uphold.

In the region of 3,500 Linfield supporters attended the game last night. In other words, over 90% of Linfield fans chose not to engage in sectarian chanting. The majority of them actually saw fit to applaud our worthy victors of the pitch, appreciating that our own favourites had been given a bit of a lesson.

Linfield Football Club have a problem with sectarian hoodlums at certain games. The Club is pledged to do whatever it can to try and deal with the problem. It's a big problem.

Now you sit in your ivory tower and hate Linfield Football Club all you like...we don't care. If you have anything constructive to offer by way of help, PM me...I promise that I will take that forward.

Let me tell you that when you approach some of these cavemen and ask them to "wise up", some of them may stare blankly back at you and tell you to "**** off, or you'll get your ****ing head kicked in". Not easy, is it?

Nobody at Linfield Football Club is in denial.

Other clubs have problems with sectarianism too...not just in Ireland.

Don't let your hatred of Linfield Football Club blind you to the fact that there are many, many great fans at Linfield who are embarrassed and sickened by this rogue element of cavemen.

Don't ever forget that many, many people are trying to do something about the problem...not just sitting behind a keyboard taking shots at Linfield Football Club.

Could I also suggest that for those of us that wish to see the cross border competitive dimension increase on this island, the best wishes of all true football fans should be with the many who are trying to deal with sectarianism.

There'll be no All Ireland competition without the current "Belfast & District" Champions being right at the heart of it.

Krstic
12/04/2006, 10:21 AM
There'll be no All Ireland competition without the current "Belfast & District" Champions being right at the heart of it.

You're wrong,there's already an All-Ireland competition without the 'Belfast & District Champions'...................................It's called the Eircom League.

It has teams from all parts of Ireland, including Northern Ireland;)

Not Brazil
12/04/2006, 10:25 AM
You're wrong,there's already an All-Ireland competition without the 'Belfast & District Champions'...................................It's called the Eircom League.

It has teams from all parts of Ireland, including Northern Ireland;)

Thank the good Lord for small mercies.:D

stickyjoe
12/04/2006, 10:39 AM
how many drogheda fans travelled up

Cosmo
12/04/2006, 11:10 AM
Firstly, let me say well done to Drogs. They thoroughly deserved to win the game...no if's, but's, maybe's or any other excuses. Far and away the best performance we have seen from an away team (except Halmstad) at Windsor Park this season. Fair play and good luck.

Now Krstic.

I know one of the chips may have fallen off one of your shoulders, given your favourites failure to qualify from the group topped by Belfast & District Champions Linfield Football Club, but let's deal with some facts, shall we?

There were perhaps up to 300 so called Linfield fans who engaged in vile sectarian chanting at the game last night. The vast majority of these fans are only seen when Linfield play perceived "fenian" teams and Glentoran (who the cavemen also perceive as "fenian", given their rather limited brain capacity). Not for them Loughall away on a Tuesday night.

They also seem to forget that Linfield Football Club had several "fenians" playing last night in the famous Blue shirt, whose tradition these cavemen claim to uphold.

In the region of 3,500 Linfield supporters attended the game last night. In other words, over 90% of Linfield fans chose not to engage in sectarian chanting. The majority of them actually saw fit to applaud our worthy victors of the pitch, appreciating that our own favourites had been given a bit of a lesson.

Linfield Football Club have a problem with sectarian hoodlums at certain games. The Club is pledged to do whatever it can to try and deal with the problem. It's a big problem.

Now you sit in your ivory tower and hate Linfield Football Club all you like...we don't care. If you have anything constructive to offer by way of help, PM me...I promise that I will take that forward.

Let me tell you that when you approach some of these cavemen and ask them to "wise up", some of them may stare blankly back at you and tell you to "**** off, or you'll get your ****ing head kicked in". Not easy, is it?

Nobody at Linfield Football Club is in denial.

Other clubs have problems with sectarianism too...not just in Ireland.

Don't let your hatred of Linfield Football Club blind you to the fact that there are many, many great fans at Linfield who are embarrassed and sickened by this rogue element of cavemen.

Don't ever forget that many, many people are trying to do something about the problem...not just sitting behind a keyboard taking shots at Linfield Football Club.

Could I also suggest that for those of us that wish to see the cross border competitive dimension increase on this island, the best wishes of all true football fans should be with the many who are trying to deal with sectarianism.

Never treeated so well in my life at a football match!!

the Linfield supporters were spot on lastnight and we were even drinking in a glasgow rangers pub on the shankhill for the day :)

pete
12/04/2006, 11:39 AM
I was disappointed to hear some of the chants last night as not in the spirit of the competition. I would think 300 people is a lot even from 3500 crowd.

BTW fair dues to Drogs as eventhough i only saw the 2nd half but ye looked worthy winners. Linfield looked tired & probably on the booze all weekend but maybe it was just because they were trying to chase the game.

Cosmo
12/04/2006, 12:30 PM
BTW fair dues to Drogs

:eek:

Krstic
12/04/2006, 12:43 PM
Never treeated so well in my life at a football match!!

the Linfield supporters were spot on lastnight and we were even drinking in a glasgow rangers pub on the shankhill for the day :)

Well isn't that just lovely, more than makes up for any sectarian singing.:rolleyes:

Cosmo
12/04/2006, 12:50 PM
Well isn't that just lovely, more than makes up for any sectarian singing.:rolleyes:

It is lovely :)

Couldn't give a sh!te about what they were singing at us - it happens in football unfortunately that there'll be a sizeable minority of idiots around. I don't take it personally, in fact we didn't even respond to it, I just laughed at them myself

My experience from the Linfield supporters were that they were spot on to us (bar a sizebale minority singing sectarian stuff in the ground - which persoannly i couldnt give a sh!t about, people are a bit too sensitive about it imo!!)- that'll do me!!

pete
12/04/2006, 1:19 PM
:eek:

Well i did say you would get respect if beat Linfield.

Tracey looks like should be playing U-16 football but we love Dan Connor so some debate over who we'd prefer in goals. I assume Dan Connor will get extended ban for hitting Denis Behan even if no cameras to capture...?

paudie
12/04/2006, 2:31 PM
Really impressed with Drogs last night. As much by their attitude as anything else.

Missing their first choice keeper and O'Brien they might have tried to play it cagey but they used the big pitch to perfection and were well on top, espec in the first half.

If ye ever start scoring goals ye'll be really dangerous:D

Last nights performance would also suggest Drogs can look forward to the UEFA games with confidence(always thinking of the coefficient!!)

Final should be good.

From a footballing point of view it might be better to play the final in Windsor as the big pitch would suit both teams:eek:

hoopy
12/04/2006, 5:10 PM
Someone might have a word with Doolin to be a little more generous, or even just happy, in victory. Introduced as manager of the cup champions, top of the league, and now in the SSC final, and he still managed to moan.

To be fair to him I think he was implying that people perceive Drogheda as a 'score and shut up shop' team because of a few 1-0 wins, but the truth is that if they had a top class striker they'd stuff a lot of teams in the Country. I mean how in the name of God did Fitzpatrick get MOTM? Granted he worked hard(so did the whole team) but aside from the chances he missed he continually played dire passes

Not Brazil
12/04/2006, 5:32 PM

What exactly is your point chief?

What are you trying to highlight or prove?

Have you anything constructive to offer Linfield Football Club by way of help in dealing with this cancer of sectarian singing?

Perhaps you could start by telling us how Derry City Football Club dealt with the small number of cavemen who besmirched the good name of your club at the recent fixture at The Oval, when singing the praises of a sectarian mass murderer?

Cosmo,

Glad you enjoyed your visit, and the hospitality afforded to you by some true Linfield fans.

You may have been pleasantly surprised to learn than some Linfield fans are actually human beings who enjoy their football and support their club.

Good luck in the Final.

Cosmo
12/04/2006, 5:39 PM
You may have been pleasantly surprised to learn than some Linfield fans are actually human beings who enjoy their football and support their club.

Wasn't surprised at all - I'm not a sensitve soul and listen to drama queens on websites or the media overexaggerating things - tha fact is i knew we'd get on with people up there as as far as I'm concerned I have more in common with Linfield supporters than 99% of muupets in the republic of ireland who have celtic as 'their number 1 team'

Looking forward to another trip up there - best away trip since our cup match in ballybofay about 3 years ago :)

southstand
12/04/2006, 8:02 PM
well done drogheda and very best wishes for the final and the rest of the season. of the 3 eircom teams we've played this year you gave us the most trouble. krstic stop stirring things up we know we have problems but the fact that we have attended away matches in significant numbers and hosted away supporters without serious trouble indicates that we are moving forward.please remember for all your slobbering about the blues we topped a very difficult group in which you didnt quite finish in the top two.

Roverstillidie
12/04/2006, 8:16 PM
Perhaps you could start by telling us how Derry City Football Club dealt with the small number of cavemen who besmirched the good name of your club at the recent fixture at The Oval, when singing the praises of a sectarian mass murderer?

what sectarian mass murderer is that?

linfield fans sing loyalist tunes, big deal. we may not like the content, but they are linfield ffs

OneRedArmy
12/04/2006, 9:11 PM
Perhaps you could start by telling us how Derry City Football Club dealt with the small number of cavemen who besmirched the good name of your club at the recent fixture at The Oval, when singing the praises of a sectarian mass murderer?The ten or so you referred to got a few slaps from some true City fans and were told not to come back again, or to invite their "mates" from Belfast to any more games.

Problem solved.

Not Brazil
13/04/2006, 10:10 AM
The ten or so you referred to got a few slaps from some true City fans and were told not to come back again, or to invite their "mates" from Belfast to any more games.

Problem solved.

Very good.

How will you be assured that the Sean Kelly fan club won't be back again?