PDA

View Full Version : Ireland B Team Announcement

Pages : [1] 2

Roo69
11/04/2006, 12:23 PM
The FAI has announced that Pat Devlin has joined Stephen Staunton’s team as “B” International Team Manager and eircom League co-ordinator.

Commenting on the appointment, Senior International Manager Staunton said that when he took the manager’s job he recognised that the potential in the eircom League could be explored and players given further opportunity to make it to senior international level. He said that Devlin will monitor the eircom League and report on potential International players. “Pat will report on talent in the eircom League and through the re-instatement of the “B” Internationals, provide a development opportunity for home based players”, he said. “The “B” Internationals can also provide a focal point for players over the age of 21 who have yet to graduate to full Senior level”, he added.

Staunton said he wants to create a strong link between the eircom League and the Senior International set up. “We’re trying to build a club ethos around the International set up and that takes time but creating stronger links between the under-age teams managed by Vincent Butler, Sean McCaffrey and Don Givens helps and in a similar way getting closer ties with the eircom League should contribute positively to what we’re trying to achieve”, he added.

Devlin said he was delighted to be part of Staunton’s
management team. “The development of home based players is very much part of Stephen’s long-term plan and I’m looking forward to joining the team and contributing to that plan”, said Devlin. “We hope that with more focus on the League we can provide more opportunities for home based players to come through to senior international level”, he added.

Dodge
11/04/2006, 12:27 PM
Decent development but Devlin's appointment is totally wrong

Roo69
11/04/2006, 12:32 PM
Well i for one am delighted for him. He has the best record of all managers in the eircom league of developing young players, best of look to him i say !

soccerc
11/04/2006, 12:53 PM
Possibly one of the most enlightened FAI football appointments, delighted for Pat.

Danny
11/04/2006, 12:57 PM
Have any B International fixtures been arranged ?

Stuttgart88
11/04/2006, 12:58 PM
Decent development but Devlin's appointment is totally wrongWhy's that Dodge? I thought Devlin is well respected.

On the face of it this looks like a great development to me.

joema
11/04/2006, 1:07 PM
The FAI has announced that Pat Devlin has joined Stephen Staunton’s team as “B” International Team Manager and eircom League co-ordinator.

Commenting on the appointment, Senior International Manager Staunton said that when he took the manager’s job he recognised that the potential in the eircom League could be explored and players given further opportunity to make it to senior international level. He said that Devlin will monitor the eircom League and report on potential International players. “Pat will report on talent in the eircom League and through the re-instatement of the “B” Internationals, provide a development opportunity for home based players”, he said. “The “B” Internationals can also provide a focal point for players over the age of 21 who have yet to graduate to full Senior level”, he added.

Staunton said he wants to create a strong link between the eircom League and the Senior International set up. “We’re trying to build a club ethos around the International set up and that takes time but creating stronger links between the under-age teams managed by Vincent Butler, Sean McCaffrey and Don Givens helps and in a similar way getting closer ties with the eircom League should contribute positively to what we’re trying to achieve”, he added.

Devlin said he was delighted to be part of Staunton’s
management team. “The development of home based players is very much part of Stephen’s long-term plan and I’m looking forward to joining the team and contributing to that plan”, said Devlin. “We hope that with more focus on the League we can provide more opportunities for home based players to come through to senior international level”, he added.

Sounds encouraging but I agree with Dodge - Devlin is not the man for the job - no doubting his managerial ability - I just dont think he has the leagues best intersets at heart

Poor Student
11/04/2006, 1:08 PM
I think if the FAI wanted to involve an eL man in a developmental capacity it should have been Pete Mahon. Yes, I'm a UCD fan, but he has done a great job nurturing and bringing through talent and re-establishing the academy system after it was obliterated.

I do like the idea in principle though.

pineapple stu
11/04/2006, 1:11 PM
Why's that Dodge? I thought Devlin is well respected.

On the face of it this looks like a great development to me.
The general issue with Devlin in the eL is that he has a serious conflict of interest - managing an eL club while scouting for English clubs. In other words, is he trying to advance his own league or make a few bob by selling another hapless youngster off to England? (There's been plenty of threads on this before, and I don't intend this to develop into another one, but that's just the general view.) A few prominent people - Fintan Drury, the football agent would be one - are particularly opposed to Devlin and what he does.

Stuttgart88
11/04/2006, 1:13 PM
Thanks Stu. Is Fintan Drury's objection a bad thing?

pineapple stu
11/04/2006, 1:18 PM
Well, he's one of the head football agents in Ireland - Drury Sports Management is his company. I'd imagine his views would hold a lot of weight on the issue. Certainly he'd know what he's talking about. He seemed particularly annoyed about it when last he spoke about it (the Great Soccer Debate in Portlaoise six weeks ago or so; there's a link to what was said in the eL General forum somewhere)

Stuttgart88
11/04/2006, 1:32 PM
Any chance Drury's just jealous that Devlin is Duff's agent, or something along those lines? I can't imagine Drury is in any position to be objective on this issue. I've always been suspicious of him.

Bald Student
11/04/2006, 1:35 PM
Possibly one of the most enlightened FAI football appointments, delighted for Pat.Seconded.

joema
11/04/2006, 1:38 PM
I really dont like Drury but hes 100% right on this occasion IMO. In a sentence: Devlin is not to be trusted as he has his own agenda

Dodge
11/04/2006, 1:57 PM
Why's that Dodge? I thought Devlin is well respected.
Main reasosn outlined by stu and others. He's manager of Bray, he's an "advisor" to some internationals and he has been a scout for a major UK club. Its an obvious conflict of interst.

I'd also add that as he is a club manager he shouldn't be near a job that involves looking at the whole league. If Bray play every Friday and so do Cork how often will he get to see George O'Callaghan play (for example).

That and his teams play rubbish football too :)

Can I ask Roo to qualify this comment?

He has the best record of all managers in the eircom league of developing young players,

Roo69
11/04/2006, 1:58 PM
The general issue with Devlin in the eL is that he has a serious conflict of interest - managing an eL club while scouting for English clubs. In other words, is he trying to advance his own league or make a few bob by selling another hapless youngster off to England? (There's been plenty of threads on this before, and I don't intend this to develop into another one, but that's just the general view.) A few prominent people - Fintan Drury, the football agent would be one - are particularly opposed to Devlin and what he does.

Jesus lads, how many times must i say this.......

DEVLIN IS NOT A SCOUT FOR ANY CLUB WHAT SO EVER, ESPECIALLY IN THE UK.

If a youngster or an eL player is wanted by a uk club he will want to move, maily because of the money and the standard of football, theres nothing we can do about that what so ever, we just cant compete. Now the way i see it is that Devlin is in then game long enough, he knows what he is doing, if a young player asks Pat for advice on what to do and to make sure the contract is best for him and his club then whats wrong with that ? People go to Devo because he's the best in the business in Ireland at what he does. He can't help it if a young lad that goes over does'nt make the grade. plane loads of kids go over nothing to do with Devo at all that dont make it.

Roo69
11/04/2006, 2:02 PM
Can I ask Roo to qualify this comment?

The reason why IMO is that because we has had next to nothing to spend on players with Bray down the years, yet he has always managed to find players and bring them through to be some of the best players in the league.

Jason Byrne would be a prime example.

As i said, thats my opnion.

Dodge
11/04/2006, 2:05 PM
If you're going to claim "best record of all managers in the eircom league of developing young players" you're going to have to do more than name one player (well more...0

pineapple stu
11/04/2006, 2:10 PM
Do you mean like Conor Kenna, Darren Quigley, Gary Dicker (all with Irish U-21 honours recently), Paul Byrne, Stephen Hurley, Conor Sammon, Brian Gannon, Pat Sullivan and others? ;)

Kingdom
11/04/2006, 2:14 PM
I would have thought it unprofessional to pick someone currently working within the league parameters to manage a side that will be cherry picking players for the National B side. Surely Bobby Robson would have been ideally placed to do this job?

KK77
11/04/2006, 2:14 PM
Sounds encouraging but I agree with Dodge - Devlin is not the man for the job - no doubting his managerial ability - I just dont think he has the leagues best intersets at heart

Well said it's a joke him being appointment he's the past not the future.

joema
11/04/2006, 2:15 PM

Yeah, hes not a scout - he's an advisor - in other words hes not officially recognised by FIFA so he operates as a so called "advisor" - its all the same to him at the end of the day - as long as he gets his cut he couldnt care less - I'll say it again - Devlin has his own agenda

KK77
11/04/2006, 2:17 PM

If a youngster or an eL player is wanted by a uk club he will want to move, maily because of the money and the standard of football, theres nothing we can do about that what so ever, we just cant compete. Now the way i see it is that Devlin is in then game long enough, he knows what he is doing, if a young player asks Pat for advice on what to do and to make sure the contract is best for him and his club then whats wrong with that ? People go to Devo because he's the best in the business in Ireland at what he does. He can't help it if a young lad that goes over does'nt make the grade. plane loads of kids go over nothing to do with Devo at all that dont make it.

How come he got a huge cut out of the Duff deal??

Jerry The Saint
11/04/2006, 2:21 PM
I'd also add that as he is a club manager he shouldn't be near a job that involves looking at the whole league. If Bray play every Friday and so do Cork how often will he get to see George O'Callaghan play (for example).

Leaving aside the other main objection (which I also agree with BTW) this is a HUGE problem. We can expect that he will be unable to watch up to 10 out of the 12 Premier teams almost every weekend and would need to travel up to Sligo/Longford the day after a Bray game every weekend to bring this figure down.

This is also likely to cause a natural bias to his own players when selecting squads. I'm sure a manager like Devlin wouldn't care one way or the other if regular appearances in B internationals happened to increase a players transfer value....

Two words that jump out at me about this appointment and the FAI attitude to the eircom League: LIP SERVICE.

Stuttgart88
11/04/2006, 2:23 PM
Presumably he'll be able to delegate, or is that just a wild assumption?

Jerry The Saint
11/04/2006, 2:29 PM
Surely Bobby Robson would have been ideally placed to do this job?

I agree 100%. It would have been the perfect way for Robson to show he was legitimately earning his quarter of a million by giving him a role that would have clear results in terms of developing players for both the league and international squad. As a complete outsider he would be free of any petty infighting and could look at the league with a clear, impartial eye. Not to mention the tremendous influence a coach of his experience could have had on managers and players.

Sadly, you get the feeling that this would have never crossed the FAI's mind, and if it did that they would be too embarrassed to ask the big, important Englishman to take any interest in our piddling little league...

Jerry The Saint
11/04/2006, 2:32 PM
Presumably he'll be able to delegate, or is that just a wild assumption?

Sure, he could get Damien Richardson, Stephen Kenny, Pat Fenlon and Paul Doolin to be his assistant managers.:)

Bray Head
11/04/2006, 3:13 PM
Have to agree there is no way he can do both jobs. If he's managing Bray on a Friday night he can only see 1 team a week (apart from Bray who won't have any players on the B team) unless Sligo or Longford are playing at home on the Saturday. Most of the players on the B international team will probably come from lower leagues in England with a few Eircom League players.

tippex
11/04/2006, 3:28 PM
In fairness devo has missed a considerable number of Bray's games over the last few seasons (due to outside Interests) I'm not including his hip operation last term. However it will be interesting to see how this one develops.....

KK77
11/04/2006, 3:32 PM
Yeah, hes not a scout - he's an advisor - in other words hes not officially recognised by FIFA so he operates as a so called "advisor" - its all the same to him at the end of the day - as long as he gets his cut he couldnt care less - I'll say it again - Devlin has his own agenda

100% Correct you took the words out of my mouth

KK77
11/04/2006, 3:34 PM
In fairness devo has missed a considerable number of Bray's games over the last few seasons (due to outside Interests) I'm not including his hip operation last term. However it will be interesting to see how this one develops.....

Again someone who speaks the truth

Schumi
11/04/2006, 3:36 PM
If he's managing Bray on a Friday night he can only see 1 team a week (apart from Bray who won't have any players on the B team) unless Sligo or Longford are playing at home on the Saturday.
In fairness, UCD are at home on Saturdays now so he'll be able to get in two games most weekends. Still don't think he's the right appointment though.

Seagull
11/04/2006, 3:51 PM
If he's going to miss even more Bray games (what with watching Chelsea and now this) then he should resign rather than let McGuirk and Gormley fill in the gaps. We live in hope...

Roo69
11/04/2006, 3:53 PM
Someone mentioned Bobby Robson for the post, Do they honestly think he would attend eL matches every week ? or even who the players and clubs are ? he would'nt have a clue......

And why no fuss about Bray's assistant manager, Tony McGuirk, when he manages the Irish U19 squad ? Half the moaners probably did'nt even know that....

On another note, what players if any will be included in the B Internationals from the eL ?

tetsujin1979
11/04/2006, 3:55 PM
I reckon it's a good idea, it'll give some of the EL players a chance to stake their claim on the international stage (well, of sorts). As well as that it'll give the up and coming players a chance to become part of the setup without the pressure of a full international (either friendly or competitive). I can understand the disapproval of Devlin, I fully expect comments like "he'll be flogging them to the likes of S****horpe and Notts County while lining his own pockets" in the near future, but let's give him a chance at this job before condemning him. I think a comparison with the Scotland Future squad is apt, anyone have any stats on how many Future squad members are now full internationals? I'm pretty certain Maloney and Marshall both played for the Future squad at one point, have the likes of Kris Boyd also done the same?
What other countries besides Scotland regularly play B internationals. i.e. what's the standard of opposition we can expect?

Roo69
11/04/2006, 3:57 PM
I reckon it's a good idea, it'll give some of the EL players a chance to stake their claim on the international stage (well, of sorts). As well as that it'll give the up and coming players a chance to become part of the setup without the pressure of a full international (either friendly or competitive). I can understand the disapproval of Devlin, I fully expect comments like "he'll be flogging them to the likes of S****horpe and Notts County while lining his own pockets" in the near future, but let's give him a chance at this job before condemning him. I think a comparison with the Scotland Future squad is apt, anyone have any stats on how many Future squad members are now full internationals? I'm pretty certain Maloney and Marshall both played for the Future squad at one point, have the likes of Kris Boyd also done the same?
What other countries besides Scotland regularly play B internationals. i.e. what's the standard of opposition we can expect?

best post on this all day ! fair play

klein4
11/04/2006, 4:00 PM
I dont think it will be a problem for him not to be able to see every player play.I presume it will only be the top players in the league he will be looking at so the names will fairly stand out to anyone following the league anyway. I think he carries too much baggage to be given the job. but then most of the managers in the league would in some way or another. the idea of a b team seems to be more of a showcase for english scouts post Reading gettin doyle on the cheap than for the irish manager. maybe it was pushed for by the chairmen so they dont get stuffed on the transfer fee again.

joema
11/04/2006, 4:01 PM
Someone mentioned Bobby Robson for the post, Do they honestly think he would attend eL matches every week ? or even who the players and clubs are ? he would'nt have a clue......

On another note, what players if any will be included in the B Internationals from the eL ?

Dont agree with idea of appointing Robson to el - afterall he knows the english league inside out so leave him to it over there. Also, he lives in England and has just had minor surgery so it would be better for him to stay over there.

Here is just some players who I think should be included from el in a B international team:

George O' Callaghan
Danny Murphy
Simon Webb
Aidan Price
Barry Murphy
Mick Devine
Joe Gamble
Owen Heary
Jason Byrne
Paul Keegan
JP Kelly - if not playing for u21s
Stephen Ward - if not playing for u21s
Stephen Grant - if not playing for u21s
Gary Dicker - if not playing for u21s
Darren Quigley - if not playing for u21s

joema
11/04/2006, 4:05 PM
WHO WOULD YOU PICK GUYS?
SOME OF MINE WOULD BE
conner
heary mc shane coughlan
gamble tabb o flynn
trundle bryne crowe

I wouldnt bother with Coughlan - not with a view to playing for the full international team anyway - maybe to make up the numbers for the B team though

Id definitly have Weso, Richie Foran, Hunt and the likes in there aswell

Bald Student
11/04/2006, 5:17 PM
He seemed particularly annoyed about it when last he spoke about it (the Great Soccer Debate in Portlaoise six weeks ago or so; there's a link to what was said in the eL General forum somewhere)I remember at that Fintan made a comment about agents working for clubs which was clearly aimed at Pat Devlin and Delaney said he was unaware of anyone working in such a capacity but I anything was reported to him he'd act on it.

A face
11/04/2006, 5:38 PM

And why no fuss about Bray's assistant manager, Tony McGuirk, when he manages the Irish U19 squad ? Half the moaners probably did'nt even know that....

FFS ... .does that make it OK now so Roo ...... Jebus wept of course it fúcking doesn't

Cut the shít now and give us your opinion !!

Is this THE best appointment for the job ... yes or no ..... why?
Is Devlin compromised IN ANY WAY by taking up this job ??

Be sensible ffs .... are you that blinded !!

Superhoops
11/04/2006, 6:19 PM
Who in the EL is better qualified than Devo to assess the talent there is around the league.

Even before this announcement, it would have come as no surprise to most BW fans if Devo announced he was stepping down from the day to day team management duties.

As Roo69 mentioned Tony McGuirk already has involvement with the U-19's and is well respected not only in Bray but also around the EL. John Finnegan who manages the U-21's is likely to play a more prominent role with BW EL team.

Why should Devo be compromised by taking this job, no more than anyone else would. Perhaps Pineapple Stu and Dodge would like to enlighten us on what 'major' English club Devo is scouting for? and perhaps Joema can tells us what Devo's own agenda is?

F**K Fintan Drury, he is an agent. Bobby Robson was never going to spend his weekends traipsing around EL games. This position definitely needed someone who knows the EL inside out.

It is encouraging that Steve Staunton has recognised that there may be a jewel waiting to be unearthed int eh EL and that he is prepared to give that league an opportunity to push it's talent onto the international stage even if it is a B level.

If another Kevin Doyle emerges from EL, I would be surprised if they were waiting for Devo to be pushing towards an English club.

The creation of the post is a good thing for the EL and Devo is a good choice for the role. Good luck to him, a real football man!

pete
11/04/2006, 6:35 PM
Shocking decision to appoint Devlin but just shows how much the FAI know or care.

Devlin is an unregulated "advisor", basically an illegal agent as he is not sanctioned by the FAI or FIFA.

Devlin should not be managing in the eL let alone get an FAI appointment. The eL is a small place & its well know that he has been advising players in other eL which is downright wrong.

Its exactly the same as say Alex Ferguson being Thierry Henrys unofficial advisor - would the FA allow that?

I suspect Drury has issues with advisers as they are not bonded like him & operate without any controls.

:(

Forever Dreamin
11/04/2006, 6:44 PM
Forget about personalities, first are there many other countries that have a B team???? If not who will the side play?? If there is a future for a B set up give the man a chance and if hes a flop then he can be changed

Personally I would prefer to see a limit to 3 subs in all friendlies with just a squad of 14 players and a B game as a warm up, this would cut the crap of 11 subs in a match per team and give the fringe players a full 90 minutes to show what they can do.

eirebhoy
11/04/2006, 7:32 PM
Forget about personalities, first are there many other countries that have a B team???? If not who will the side play?? If there is a future for a B set up give the man a chance and if hes a flop then he can be changed

Personally I would prefer to see a limit to 3 subs in all friendlies with just a squad of 14 players and a B game as a warm up, this would cut the crap of 11 subs in a match per team and give the fringe players a full 90 minutes to show what they can do.
Scotland, Turkey, Germany, Austria and Poland played in the future cup:
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?curpageid=482

A face
11/04/2006, 8:11 PM
The idea is good :ball:

The appointment is unbelieveable ?? :eek: :(

Seagull
11/04/2006, 8:25 PM
D'ya think many of the Cork players will be out to impress Devlin Friday night? Playing against Bray will be the obvious chance for players to stake their claim for a place in Devo's squad as he'll be a captive audience! :eek:

thejollyrodger
11/04/2006, 8:37 PM
GREAT Idea IMHO !! Hopefully a lot of EL players will get a chance to play at the higher level. I think 3 or 4 players should be from the english championship though.

joema
11/04/2006, 9:22 PM
Zayed will be in there anyway

Risteard
12/04/2006, 12:25 AM
I'd go with most of what ye said but i don't hink there's any point in picking players who are definately never going to get near the full set up in the future ie Devine, Crowe and Heary. Players who maybe should have been considered more in the past but picking them now would just be a token gesture.
I'd be happy with 5 eL players in the squad as it'd then be clear that they are under serious consideration.
Presuming Stephens Grant and Ward are in the Under 21s and Danny Murphy and Pat McCourt aren't available . . . . . .
Gamble*,
Bradley,
Zayed**
and
George & Jason Byrne still deserve a look at this late stage.
*borderline, better all-round game than Georgie but mightn't have the pace for international game.
** even more borderline but could probably be confident of a place.