PDA

View Full Version : BBC documentary

Dotsy
11/04/2006, 11:27 AM
There is a documentary tonight at 9:00pm on BBC4 about football in Eastern Europe in the 20th century. Looks specifically at Hungary, Russia and East Germany under communist rule. Could be interesting.

Ash
11/04/2006, 11:53 AM
Theres a book out "Football Against The Enemy" which details something similiar.
I found it to be a good read

Dassa
11/04/2006, 12:01 PM
sounds like a good show. Another great show on once was football under fascist rule,great show.seems to be alot of these programmes coming out in lead up to world cup.

Dodge
11/04/2006, 12:33 PM
Theres a book out "Football Against The Enemy" which details something similiar.
Yeah, great book. Possibly best book on football tbh

hamish
11/04/2006, 1:06 PM
There is a documentary tonight at 9:00pm on BBC4 about football in Eastern Europe in the 20th century. Looks specifically at Hungary, Russia and East Germany under communist rule. Could be interesting.

Thanks for the reminder Dotsy - damn near forgot that was one.:)

pete
11/04/2006, 3:21 PM

Thats become kind of a must read of any football fan at this stage.

Junior
11/04/2006, 8:19 PM

The irony - just read that chapter about 2 days ago!!! About a third of the way through it, love books like this.

stojkovic
15/04/2006, 8:24 PM
The irony - just read that chapter about 2 days ago!!! About a third of the way through it, love books like this.The author Simon Kuper's latest book is also excellent but abit political, its called Ajax, The Dutch, The War.

hamish
15/04/2006, 11:42 PM
Saw the programme and it brought back to what's left of my mind of the odd game you'd see on telly from Bulgaria, USSR etc when a LOI team or UK team was playing there. You'd see terraces full of blokes in uniforms - as grey as the terraces they sat/stood on. We all knew back then that you had army, police etc clubs and they. basically, had carte blanche to take any decent player from smaller clubs so you had the same teams each year in European football - CSKA Sofia, Moscow Dynamo, Steau etc etc.

There was also a lot of talk about referees being bribed the other side of the Iron Curtain with birds, jewels, booze and so on to give "homers" but it could have been part of Cold War talk.

Still, there was a certain mystique about Polish or USSR or Romanian teams - you knew they were Communist if they were called Dynamo for a start. LOL:D There was that element of mystery about them.

Needless to say, there was nothing funny for the players in those countries if they didn't, literally, follow the party line.

geysir
16/04/2006, 5:42 PM
We all knew back then that you had army, police etc clubs and they. basically, had carte blanche to take any decent player from smaller clubs so you had the same teams each year in European football - CSKA Sofia, Moscow Dynamo, Steau etc etc
Yes it couldn't happen here, just like we all know now that because of the rational wage and transfer fee structure the top players do not end up with the top clubs who never manage to qualify for European football year after year :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]Needless to say, there was nothing funny for the players in those countries if they didn't, literally, follow the party line.[/QUOTE]
:rolleyes:
Not unlike the serf-like contracts players had in the West.
[/QUOTE]You'd see terraces full of blokes in uniforms - as grey as the terraces they sat/stood on.[/QUOTE]
Obviously you were not around in Dalymount the early 70's when even trench coats were de rigueur.
Seriously though, I enjoyed the documentary despite its Evil Empire bias.
The 5 minute slot on East Germany effectively exposed the absurdity of the political division of Germany through the eyes of sport.

hamish
16/04/2006, 9:13 PM
I know, I know, Geysir, about all that - serfdom for current players, contracts etc - be nice:p - I was only referring to the particular situation in the East and trying to give a flavour of what it felt like for my generation back then. I remember one match in Dalymount - against either Poland or the USSR - when one of their players made a mistake which led to an Irish goal - a wag behind me roared at that player, "That's you for the fcukin' salt-mines". Everyone burst out laughling - we were easy to amuse back then. LOL :D

Yes, I was one of those grey coaters on Dalyer (and other terraces) but back then it was called a maxi-coat.;). All the fashion for boys and girls. True though, even when you see games from Dalyer, Landsdowne etc from the 80s - precious few flags, banners etc back then. Only really seemed to start around 1988 that fans started dressing up in shirts etc etc.

Like you, I enjoyed the programme too. The part about the USSR players who were thrown into the Gulag was dreadful to watch.

geysir
17/04/2006, 6:06 PM
Yes, I was one of those grey coaters on Dalyer (and other terraces) but back then it was called a maxi-coat.. All the fashion for boys and
Maxi coat was the fashion item.
Trench coat was the real deal :) smelled of mustard gas.
Before the last WC there was a couple of good documentaries on BBC 4, one on Garrincha and another on the North Koreans 1966.

hamish
17/04/2006, 6:24 PM
Maxi coat was the fashion item.
Trench coat was the real deal :) smelled of mustard gas.
Before the last WC there was a couple of good documentaries on BBC 4, one on Garrincha and another on the North Koreans 1966.

Geysir, have you see the TV3 series on Sundays?? Great stuff from Africa/Asia - development of the game there etc etc.

geysir
17/04/2006, 11:19 PM
No I haven't. I thought TV3 and great stuff was a contradiction. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.

hamish
17/04/2006, 11:34 PM
No I haven't. I thought TV3 and great stuff was a contradiction. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.

I'd say you've missed the best bits - one of the Sky channels has it and it's not as far into the series as TV3 - think it's the History channel.

CollegeTillIDie
20/04/2006, 6:59 AM
Series on TV3 is called The History of Football and it is excellent.. not made by TV3 mind....