PDA

View Full Version : Bring on the Spanish

Colm
12/06/2002, 2:14 PM
Ok, so we know that Spain are confirmed as our 2nd round opponents.
I dont think we should fear anyone but Spain are one of the best teams left in the competition. They have great individual players and were the first side to qualify for the 2nd round.
IMO, they are excellent going forward but are fairly weak at the back so I think that they may find Duff and Keane hard to handle.
Im not going to make a score prediction because I dont want to jinx the team.
What do the rest of ye think?

Neil
12/06/2002, 3:11 PM
1-1 after 120 minutes > Penalties > Ireland lose

pete
12/06/2002, 3:40 PM
Didn't see Spain today but any side who makes 8 changes with the likes of Morientes, Helguera & Mendieta in & still beats a team who only needed a draw to progress 3-2 has to be a quality team.

I suppose at least we back to underdog status & virtually no pressure on players to progress.

Best chance would be to keep scoreless for first half, sneak a goal in 2nd & hangon til the end.

Morientes will probably start & shouldn't be too much of a surprise to Breen & Stan but if we stop raul scoring are in with a chance.

Steve
12/06/2002, 4:37 PM
A lot will depend on how Kevin Kilbane plays. If Spain can stop him they can stop the whole Irish team. I'd say they will man-mark him just to be sure.

brine2
13/06/2002, 11:05 AM
Regarding your signature, the Irish midfield certainly disappeared against Saudi Arabia. My guess is that it's in Cork somewhere...