PDA

View Full Version : GUFC vs Athlone, Good Friday, 7.45 KO.

Patrick Dunne
10/04/2006, 10:32 PM
Opinions ?

JW.
10/04/2006, 11:22 PM
I honestly fancy us to win, because I think we'll do very well at Terryland this season. But my optimism was badly hit in Dundalk.
This was a woeful performance against a team who'd lost all their games. The worst thing was: we not only looked lethargic, we also looked pretty ordinary. They created about 80pc of the chances, and were worth more than a 1-0 win.
I dunno if the lads think they've a born right to be up there, but the Murph has embodied this type of attitude to name one.
We really have to win against de Town - anything else and we're probably 9 points behind Rovers.

Conor H
11/04/2006, 7:56 AM
Depends what team shows up.
If we play to our full capabalities we could easily trounce Athlone 4-0.Having said that i dont think were good enough at the moment and i predict a 1-1.:(

corbyeire
11/04/2006, 8:41 AM
I have to say we have to win this game - but athlone have a game in hand on us and if they beat us and win the game in hand - they are right on rovers tails

they have something to play for aswell here

we really need to establish ourselves as the challengers to rovers - we have been mediocre at best over the last few games so probability dictates an improvement

ill be very hopeless if we lose on friday - in fact i dont want to think about it

on a more positive note great the game is on good friday - the most boring day of the year;)

Trainee
11/04/2006, 10:52 AM
Its a game on paper we should win but I dont see who will score for us so I reckon a nil all draw

Paddyfield
12/04/2006, 9:32 PM
There are 5 former United players with Da Town -
Fortune,
Silke,
Rossiter,
Forde
Williamson.

Should we worth a look :D

Conor H
13/04/2006, 8:03 AM
Supporters are asked to arrive in plenty of time for the match against Athlone Town on Friday, the match kicks off at 7.45pm and those attending the game should note that the car park will fill up quite fast before the game and is expected to be full by 7.15pm, so those attending the game should make allowances for this and not leave it too late to arrive.
Galway United ticket prices for the 2006 season remain the same as last season::
Adults €10
Students €6 (with valid id)
U16 €3
Senior Citizens €3
Children under 12 accompanied by an adult go free.
Full colour match programme costs €2.50
Club Lotto Tickets €2 (Jackpot- €11,050)

www.galwayunitedfc.ie

GalwayFrancis
13/04/2006, 11:27 AM
from athlonetownfc.com::

No Holiday Break As Town Face Difficult Away Assignments

ATHLONE TOWN'S First Division season kicks into overdrive this weekend with two games in four days.

The Town, who have claimed five points from their opening four games and lie sixth in the table, face a local derby against Galway United this Friday at Terryland Park (kick-off 7:45pm).

Then on Easter Monday Athlone face Finn Harps in a rearranged fixture in Ballybofey (6pm).

The Town have fairly substantial injury worries for Friday's game against second placed Galway United.

Stephen Mullan (hamstring) and Ian Rossiter (thigh) both left the field injured during last Saturday's scoreless draw at Saint Mel's Park with Kildare County.

Mullan could be missing for several weeks but Rossiter, who has actually played for both Galway United and Finn Harps, should be okay for Friday.

"Stephen had the injury going into Saturday's game. We thought he would be alright but obviously it's just gone again near the end. I'd imagine he'll miss a bit of action," said manager Michael O'Connor.

"Ian Rossiter felt a twinge in his thigh and did the right thing by coming off. He'll get treatment all week and we hope he'll be fine for Friday," O'Connor added.

Noel McGee, who started up front against Kildare County, is also a major doubt for the Galway game after sustaining an ankle injury. Robbie Hamm picked up a thigh injury during the warm-up for last Saturday's game but is fully anticipated to be okay for Friday.

"Every team has injuries, you just have to get on with it and go with whatever you have," said O'Connor.

Galway lost last Thursday to Dundalk at Oriel Park, their first defeat of the season. They have failed to win in their last four games (including a League Cup draw at Finn Harps) but this is only their second home league game.

O'Connor recognises his team will come up against a very experienced Galway side on Friday.

"Stephen Lally inherited a very experienced League of Ireland team from Tony Mannion," O'Connor said.

"Most of their players have good experience in the First Division and Premier Division in some cases. They have an abundance of talent. But they went to Dundalk last week and lost. We beat Dundalk. So it's difficult to say what will happen. I don't fear any team in this division to be honest. We'll go there to compete to the best of our ability and see where it takes us.

"There are no easy games. Each one is as hard as the last. Finn Harps will be the same next Monday. It will be tough, what else would you expect, but we hope to make it tough for both Galway United and Finn Harps as well," he added. © Westmeath Independent

Competition: eircom League First Division
Date: 14/04/06
Venue: Terryland Park, Galway
Kick-Off: 7:45pm
Referee: Richie Winter
Last League Meeting: 30/09/05 Athlone Town 0 - 2 Galway United

Interested in travelling to the game? Contact the Mad As Cootes Independent Supporters Club at madascootes@gmail.com or see www.madascootes.com to book a place on their bus.

Ash
13/04/2006, 12:08 PM
We've had 3 clean sheets in a row (usually unheard of in Athlone) so I
cant see us conceeding too many.

Are ye still training 5 nights a week? Ye could be well knackered tomorrow!

Terry
14/04/2006, 7:28 AM
Teamnews:: Galway Utd v Athlone Town

Ronan Frawley is out with a knee injury for the game against his old club but Stevie Gavin has recovered from flu and could face the team he played for last season. Barry Moran returns ......... www.galwayunitedfc.ie

Good Luck tonight lads! There will be a big crowd there tonight so this is the night to really perform and get them back in even bigger numbers for the next home match. 2-1 united:)

On another note, I would suggest to everyone to get there good and early. I arrived at the last home game at 7:25 and by the time I had got down to the turn in to the parking spaces, they were closing the gate behind me as the car park was already full. There will be a much larger crowd tonight so expect the gates to be closed even earlier.

corbyeire
14/04/2006, 4:18 PM
ill be in early so - get the atmosphere - with the fine day thats in it - where else would you be!

sligoman
14/04/2006, 6:10 PM
2-1 to Athlone is my prediction

Terry
15/04/2006, 7:23 AM
didnt get the tribune, but can someone tell me why levine was dropped? I heard there is a write about some sort of incident between himself and the club in the local papers?

Patrick Dunne
15/04/2006, 10:32 AM
The player was not at the Dundalk game as a result of "difficulties" over training. Subsequently there was an incident at training this week after which the player was suspended internally.

Battery Rover
15/04/2006, 10:35 AM
The player was not at the Dundalk game as a result of "difficulties" over training. Subsequently there was an incident at training this week after which the player was suspended internally.

He seems to have this trouble wherever he goes

corbyeire
15/04/2006, 2:30 PM
it has nothing to do with him being a lazy b*stard??!!!

Patrick Dunne
15/04/2006, 2:40 PM
But not lazy enough to put his hand out for a cheque at the end of the week.

Conor H
15/04/2006, 3:41 PM
United could only manage a scoreless draw at home to Athlone Town on Friday night. A scoreless draw was not a surprise result as both sides prior to the game have found scoring goals a problem and when it came to defending both defences have had impressive starts to the season.

As expected Ronan Frawley was forced to miss out though injury and Fran Carter replaced him in defence. Philip Reilly reverted to left back at the expence of Alan Keane and Barry Moran was restored up front. Derek O'Brien made way for David Cooke who started on the left of midfield.

A scrappy contest throughout and a game of few chances, the chances that did come in the game were all good goal scoring chances.
The first half was a poor showing for the 1,500 plus crowd, 31 minutes had ticked away before any goal scoring opportunity was created. That chance was a glorious opportunity for United to score, a long punt forward by Alan Gough beat the Athlone defence and Cooke latched on to the through ball, with the keeper just to beat and ten yards out Cooke's attempted chip over Danny O'Leary was saved by the keeper. Six minutes later United created another good goal scoring chance after Alan Murphy crossed deep and Barry Moran headed the ball back into the six yard box, the ball was only half cleared and fell to Ciaran Foley on the edge of the box who hit a piledriver that was deflected wide.

The next chance of the game came on 60 minutes to Athlone Town when a free was knocked forward from the halfway line, Billy Clery failed to connect on the heavily sanded pitch and Hungarain winger Istvan Lakatos collected the ball and from a narrow angle shot past Gough but fortunately for Galway the ball drifted wide of the upright. While United had a let off here they had another one sixty seconds later when Carter half cleared an Athlone cross, Carter's downward header fell invitingly for Lakatos 12 yards out who connected well but Gough got down brilliantly to his left to block the ball and knock it out for a corner.

United came close with a free on 67 minutes, Murphy whipped in a free that was blocked on the line by Jim Sheridan under pressure from Clery.

On 73 minutes Foley sent in a cross that Murphy managed to connect with, but his shot lacked power to trouble O'Leary.

United nearly grabbed a late winner when Reilly swung in a high cross that O'Leary could only half punch clear, the ball fell to Foley whose downward shot wide.

Galway United line up:
A.Gough
P.Reilly
B.Clery
F.Carter
N.Keady
M.Harty
C.Foley
R.Cretaro
B.Moran
A.Murphy
D.Cooke

Subs
S.Gavin for N.Keady (h\t, inj)
D.O'Brien for M.Harty (61 mins)
A.Keane for R.Cretaro (65 mins, inj)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.galwayunitedfc.ie

Terry
18/04/2006, 2:36 PM
was there any official attendance for the match given?

gufct
18/04/2006, 3:40 PM
with the official Attendance figures for GUFC Matches this season. The U'12's and sponsors complimentary tickets have not been taken into account at any game so far this season and on Friday night the attendance was given as 854 which was at least 600 down on the actual attendance.

This is being sorted for the next home game where everyone entering the ground will be accounted for as there is also Health & Safety issues arising if a proper tally is not being taken.

The attendances so far should have read 1000 for Limerick 1150 for harps and over 1450 for Athlone. Unfortunately after last weeks dreadful game it will take some performances in Kildare and Cobh to get anything near that crowd up for Kilkenny on the 5th May.

corbyeire
18/04/2006, 5:51 PM
lets hope we can get those performances at least and it would be an improving home side we would be seeing in terryland against kilkenny