PDA

View Full Version : v Shelbourne

joeSoap
10/04/2006, 8:24 PM
Cork just gone two up, Fenn and O'Brien. Quite a good game. Fenn quite superb. Himself and Behan seem to compliment each other well. Who is this Mark McNulty lad? He made the save of the season bang on half time from Stuart Byrne, and saved a pen from Jason Byrne. Half an hour to go...looking good for Cork.

Risteard
11/04/2006, 12:58 AM
Didn't think it was that great myself.
City didn't play well but always looked like winning after Colin Ts goal and the first 20 minutes when Crowe and Byrne blew very good chances.
Must be terrible being a Shels fan, they truly are shiit. Shocking to see the likes of Crowe, Byrnes and even Heary as shadows of their former selves. The talent was there but its the same lack of discipline as usual. Drogs look much better at this stage imo.
Shels could have done with that money, though. The idea that they're magically going to click and steamroller everyone must seem a bit tired and fantastic at this stage. I don't think they're going to win the league this season which means Ollies best move would probably be to flog Ryan, Crowe and Hawkins back to Dalymount or Jayo to Drogs.

Thought George and Murray looked a bit out of it again tonight while Gamble isn't hitting the heights of last year (are any of them?).

Fenn is in fantastic form and lots of clubs would be delighted to have McNulty starting for them.
Thankfully, he signed a pro-contract before the season.:cool:

A face
11/04/2006, 1:05 AM
Cork just gone two up, Fenn and O'Brien. Quite a good game. Fenn quite superb. Himself and Behan seem to compliment each other well. Who is this Mark McNulty lad? He made the save of the season bang on half time from Stuart Byrne, and saved a pen from Jason Byrne. Half an hour to go...looking good for Cork.

Mark is with City a good few years, at U21 etc. ... The only reason he wasn't getting his game is because Devine was so good, thanks be to fúck he didn't leave us because we couldn't have a better replacement at this stage.

A face
11/04/2006, 1:10 AM
Most recent 7

City 2-0 Shels (Setanta Cup)
Shels 0-0 City (League)
City 1-0 Shels (League)
Shels 0-2 City (League)
Shels 1-0 City (Setanta Cup) - Harris (i think) - The goal that never was
City 1-0 Shels (Setanta Cup)
Shels 0-0 City (League, under Dolan)

Risteard
11/04/2006, 1:16 AM
Ya, we've got that hoo-doo thing over them now that they had over us two years ago and Pats had over us before that.
To win without Devine, Flynny and Roy proves beyond doubt who the better team are.

A face
11/04/2006, 1:34 AM
Ya, we've got that hoo-doo thing over them now that they had over us two years ago and Pats had over us before that.
To win without Devine, Flynny and Roy proves beyond doubt who the better team are.

I actually thought we were going to get spanked and they had the chance in the first, as soon as we scored then it wasn't going ot be any other result.

hamish
11/04/2006, 1:36 AM
Must say I enjoed the game - congrats to both sides for an enjoyable encounter. That Denis Behan is a player I'd watch for hours - full of vigour and a great worker. Hope City hold onto him. Owen Heary is another fine player as well.
Great crowd too - RTE said 6,000 at it.:)

A face
11/04/2006, 1:39 AM
Great crowd too - RTE said 6,000 at it.:)

Fair play to RTE aswell for reporting/highlighting the games ... different station, i know it shouldn't stop them but it has done at times .... they changed and fair play to them.

hamish
11/04/2006, 1:44 AM
Fair play to RTE aswell for reporting/highlighting the games ... different station, i know it shouldn't stop them but it has done at times .... they changed and fair play to them.

Yeah, A Face, the atmosphere really came across on the telly (Corky Boys sure know how to make a lotta noise:D ) - great to see the terrace nearly full behind the left hand goal.
Fair play to all concerned - good advert for EL.....and Setanta.:)

Poor Student
11/04/2006, 8:20 AM
I really loved O'Brien's goal. It's not everyday someone wins a great tackle in the box, stands up and lands a lovely finish into the net first touch. Well deserved goal.:ball: Congraulations to Cork.

lofty9
11/04/2006, 8:28 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed Corks victory. Thought Fenn played really well. Hope to see a Linfield v Cork final, a battle of the current champions. I reckon Nutsy could be sacked when $hel$ get beat by Dublin City next week.

The Sheliban
11/04/2006, 9:05 AM
Congratulations to Cork on last night's victory. If you take your chances, you deserve to win. Not entirely sure we deserve to be written off just yet, though!

paudie
11/04/2006, 9:10 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed Corks victory. Thought Fenn played really well. Hope to see a Linfield v Cork final, a battle of the current champions. I reckon Nutsy could be sacked when $hel$ get beat by Dublin City next week.

Thought we rode our luck a bit. The difference was we took our chances and Shels didn't. Our midfield was very poor espec in first half.

I'd be suprised if Fenlon was sacked. Would Shels be able to pay off his contract?

He's definitely under pressure though.
He had a right go at the ref on the pitch at the end even though there were few if any controversial decisions in the game.

Dricky
11/04/2006, 9:42 AM
Shels having to change their game to play City, man mark Georgie...... we had them beaten even before the whistle went...

Dan Murphy ran rings around Bobby and seemed to really enjoy it.

It's always nice to win in football.

pete
11/04/2006, 10:30 AM
Our defence seems to be in very poor form but very lucky this year. McNulty was excellent & really stepped up the mark.

I think we've been good for a few years but since winning the league have new found confidence that really comes out in the big games.

I'm happy that neutrals enjoyed the game even if the play wasn't the best at times i think was good pace to the game & plenty of talking moments. First class presentation by Setanta & soem great post match interviews even if have to watch Dolan.

razor
11/04/2006, 10:31 AM
He had a right go at the ref on the pitch at the end even though there were few if any controversial decisions in the game.Any controversial decisions went Shels way, Stewy dived for the pen and there were a few other moments too that went against us.

Roo69
11/04/2006, 12:54 PM
Fair play, very entertaining game to watch with both sides looking to attack at every opp. Hopefully your players will be a bit tired for Friday's trip to the seaside..........

A face
11/04/2006, 1:23 PM
Fair play, very entertaining game to watch with both sides looking to attack at every opp. Hopefully your players will be a bit tired for Friday's trip to the seaside..........

Well all the ones that did play will be there so any where we were lacking will be resolved for Friday, hope we can put in a similar performance !!

Scatman
11/04/2006, 1:30 PM
Congrats on your win last night, hopefully we will meet/beat you on the 22nd.:)

EnDai
11/04/2006, 1:39 PM
Well played. Clinical in front of goal, and deserved the victory.

The ref was inept to say the best. He wasn't biased, just poor. From where I was it never should have been a red, for example. He was poor for both sides, and did nobody any favours.

Great crowd. Great atmosphere. I think we travelled well, and despite the result, it was well worth the trip for the atmosphere alone.

A face
11/04/2006, 1:52 PM
it was well worth the trip for the atmosphere alone.

You can say that again ... well worth €15 (i know is more for you but you know what i mean)

If there was ever a time why you'd question why you support your own club it was last night, obviously not as good for Shels fans but i'd compare it to us losing in the Brandy last year 3:1 but what a game and atmosphere, the reception we got, the whole deal ... supporting your club !! :)

Us eircom League fans, we're on to a good thing i tell ya !! :ball:

Dassa
11/04/2006, 2:06 PM
well done CCFC,not a bad match,only seen second half.

sullanefc
11/04/2006, 7:16 PM

The ref was inept to say the best. He wasn't biased, just poor. From where I was it never should have been a red, for example. He was poor for both sides, and did nobody any favours.

Great crowd. Great atmosphere. I think we travelled well, and despite the result, it was well worth the trip for the atmosphere alone.

David Crawley was nowhere near the foul that preceeded his red card. I can only assume it was for something he said. Silly boy if he did.

A face
11/04/2006, 7:29 PM
David Crawley was nowhere near the foul that preceeded his red card. I can only assume it was for something he said. Silly boy if he did.

Is basically he was either in his ear all night and the ref got píssed off or he said something which the ref wouldn't put up with and gaving marching orders. Its not for anything you done, its for what he said.

razor
11/04/2006, 8:12 PM
and did nobody any favours.I'd say the penalty with Stuart Byrne diving to the ground was favourable, the fact that the opportunity was spurned was neither here nor there.
I like to think justice was done.

micls
11/04/2006, 8:41 PM

Fair summing up. Shels brought a big crowd for a monday night-fair play they kept singing til the very end

Troy.McClure
11/04/2006, 9:22 PM
Sounds like a classic City Shels game. Unfortunatly Ive had to go to the Milan darby this weekend so couldnt make it, but am delighted at the win. Forza City! :D

A face
11/04/2006, 10:54 PM
Sounds like a classic City Shels game. Unfortunatly Ive had to go to the Milan darby this weekend so couldnt make it, but am delighted at the win. Forza City! :D

Oh pity about ya .... jebus, however will you manage ?? :p
I think you were just waiting for a chance to gloat !! :D

Risteard
11/04/2006, 11:54 PM
It's obvious he got sent off for what he said rather than what he did.
Having said that was it Crawley who was tearing the jersey off Behan seconds before that?

Fair_play_boy
12/04/2006, 12:21 AM
A couple of things I thought about the game . . .
1. Shels played the high ball out of defence all night, effectively giving it to Dan Murray. They seem to miss Wes Hoolahan who built from midfield.
2. Kearney did not shine at all, despite getting some decent ball. He took the razzing well I thought.
3. Bad and all as the ref was, his assistant on the Derrynane side did him no favours at all. He missed a couple of obvious fouls by both sides.
4. Top of the class were Danny, Colin, Nults, Hoggie and Fenn.
5. A workmanlike performance from Benno, Murray, Georgie, Gamble.
6. I don't think Woods is able to play a full 90 minutes at this level. Rico needs a new left winger. Are any of the youngsters ready to step up?
7. Softic did alright when he came on.
8. I can't figure Behan out. Half the time he looks like his arse is full of lead, they he does something brilliant out of nothing.
9. The subs bench looked really fresh with Bryan McCarthy, Shane Guthrie, Jamie Nolan and Ray Lally there.
10. There was a small group of English lads sitting beside me in the Derrynane who had flown over from London that afternoon. They loved the game, and said even with the cost of their flight, they got a great night's value. I could say the same for the rest of the people who turned up last night. After that game, which had everything, I expect that average attendances will rise a good lot.

The Sheliban
12/04/2006, 9:57 AM
Can't argue with most of the points above.
I can understand the tactics of playing the long high ball. The pitch was very bobbly, and you could never guess when the bobble was going to come. It might explain Murray's errors and Crowe missing a sitter. Really can't understand why Rico didn't have the pitch watered. Yous are a good footballing side and it would surely be to your advantage to have a truer surface.
Wasn't as impressed by Murphy as everyone else here seems to be. Caught in possession a couple of times and made one horrendous clearance across his own area.

sullanefc
12/04/2006, 11:51 AM
Can't argue with most of the points above.
I can understand the tactics of playing the long high ball. The pitch was very bobbly, and you could never guess when the bobble was going to come. It might explain Murray's errors and Crowe missing a sitter. Really can't understand why Rico didn't have the pitch watered. Yous are a good footballing side and it would surely be to your advantage to have a truer surface.
Wasn't as impressed by Murphy as everyone else here seems to be. Caught in possession a couple of times and made one horrendous clearance across his own area.

That was a strange one alright. I think he was trying to win a goal kick by hitting it off the shels' players legs. He's a solid player and his tackle on Jason Byrne in the first half was immense.

Pitch was unbelievably bobbly, not really ideal for good football.

pete
12/04/2006, 11:52 AM
I believe a new sprinkler system is to be installed. However its the MFA who organising so maybe it'll be ready by the end of the summer.

Fair_play_boy
13/04/2006, 11:05 PM
I believe a new sprinkler system is to be installed. However its the MFA who organising so maybe it'll be ready by the end of the summer.;) :D

coislaoi
14/04/2006, 12:16 AM
I'd say the penalty with Stuart Byrne diving to the ground was favourable, the fact that the opportunity was spurned was neither here nor there.
I like to think justice was done.
I have to say on this point, I was sitting in the Derrynane (middle) and I thought it was a stonewall peno - a definite trip. I couldn't believe when Byrne missed. Then again it was one of those nights for Mark McNulty - I don't think he was ever going to let in one.:D

pete
14/04/2006, 11:12 AM
Jason Byrne is a bottler. Can't handle the big games.