PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the Setanta Cup 2006

pete
08/04/2006, 3:47 PM
4 choices.

Gareth
08/04/2006, 4:26 PM
I have a feeling seeing as Cork is best represented on this board that Cork will lead this poll :)

Raheny Red
08/04/2006, 4:59 PM
Shels V Linfield final! Linfield to do the 2 in a row.

iceman
08/04/2006, 6:13 PM
Drogs / Shels final. Linfield beaten today and Drogs to heap more misery on them on Tuesday. Shels coming into form and quite capable of beating Cork.

Cosmo
08/04/2006, 6:54 PM
I have a feeling seeing as Cork is best represented on this board that Cork will lead this poll :)

Yeah I'd say you're right there :eek:

pete
08/04/2006, 7:24 PM

You might be surprised how few City fans on here regularily...

Cosmo
08/04/2006, 7:31 PM
You might be surprised how few City fans on here regularily...

Are we able to see who voted for who?

pete
08/04/2006, 7:32 PM
Are we able to see who voted for who?

I didn't add that at the start so can't edit now...

A face
09/04/2006, 12:32 AM

I wouldn't know about that now !!

Edit:

I second what the lads have said, this board isn't as Cork as people make out. No doubt some will still ignore that.

Neish
09/04/2006, 10:52 AM
Would like to se Drogs win it, as they have a top bunch of lads when thay visit Fin Park.
But if I was a betting man I'd put my money on Linfield or Cork, find it hard to pick between the two

pineapple stu
09/04/2006, 11:27 AM
Cork-Linfield final, with Linfield to win. :eek:

Linfield's defeat at the weekend was meaningless; they can afford to take the league easy now and concentrate on winning the Setanta.

Anto McC
09/04/2006, 11:42 AM
this board isn't as Cork as people make out. No doubt some will still ignore that.

Come on now face,who are you trying to fool!!

pineapple stu
09/04/2006, 11:54 AM
Actually, there's almost as many threads in the last 30 days in the UCD forum than in the Cork forum here.

Gareth
09/04/2006, 12:36 PM
Actually, there's almost as many threads in the last 30 days in the UCD forum than in the Cork forum here.

Well maybe you should stop opening new thread Stu :) hehe

Risteard
09/04/2006, 12:39 PM

I concur:( especially if it's on up in Windsor.

The forum on city's official website is far more popular nowadays.

pineapple stu
09/04/2006, 1:36 PM
Well maybe you should stop opening new thread Stu :) hehe
But then my stat would be wrong. You can see the bind I'm in!:)

Anyway, must start another new thread 'cos our U-21s lost...:(

CollegeTillIDie
10/04/2006, 5:43 AM

Linfield's defeat at the weekend was meaningless; they can afford to take the league easy now and concentrate on winning the Setanta.

They can afford to field their reserves in IL matches now you mean :D

CollegeTillIDie
10/04/2006, 5:45 AM
Anyway, must start another new thread 'cos our U-21s lost...:(

And you called me a pessimist for saying they won't retain the Dr.O'Neill Cup?:rolleyes:

Schumi
10/04/2006, 12:09 PM
Cork to beat Linfield in the final.

pineapple stu
10/04/2006, 12:32 PM
And you called me a pessimist for saying they won't retain the Dr.O'Neill Cup?:rolleyes:
Oh no! We lost what amounted to a friendly. The sky is falling!

holidaysong
10/04/2006, 4:43 PM
I think Linfield will win it. They are destroying everything put in front of them this season. Anyone know what odds they are at the moment?

ger121
10/04/2006, 5:12 PM
Linfield for me. They would be hard to beat at home and proved they can win a final away.

Buller
10/04/2006, 10:10 PM
I think cork city could win it if its in tolka park but if its up in winsor i'd say linfield could do it... gonna be a tight though... (and no i havn't forgotten about the drogs who could still beat linfield...)

royalblue
11/04/2006, 1:09 AM
Hope Linfield win it, but anything can happen in football and usually does! We havent played to form in about 3 months now. Even though we beat the Glens six we didnt play that well, even the papers noted that. Also just read that four of our first team players will be missing tomorrow night through injury. Anyway may the best team win!

pete
11/04/2006, 10:10 AM
City v Linfield is the final everyone wants (excluding Drogs fans) at Tolka now.

Dassa
11/04/2006, 11:17 AM
City v Linfield is the final everyone wants (excluding Drogs fans) at Tolka now.

Why would the game be at Tolka. it was there last year, Surely it is time for NI to have a final if Linfield are in it.

ROI one year NI the next if teams from both countries in it, sounds fair.

stickyjoe
11/04/2006, 11:37 AM
IF it is Linfield Cork I would play it over 2 legs if possible. Interest would be fantastic in both games and would give both sets of fans a chance to see one of the games. Not sure if Setanta rules would allow this

Not Brazil
11/04/2006, 11:42 AM
Why would the game be at Tolka. it was there last year, Surely it is time for NI to have a final if Linfield are in it.

ROI one year NI the next if teams from both countries in it, sounds fair.

Absolutely.

It was stated prior to this years competition (for better, or worse) that the Final would be in Northern Ireland, should a IPL team make the final.

If those rules are changed, there'll be uproar. You make the rules, and you stick with them.

Linfield abided by last years rules, which gave Shelbournehome advantage in the Final.

That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Poor Student
11/04/2006, 11:57 AM
It's like the eircom League cup. The rules stated that there would be a coin toss between the finalists to decide where the final would be played. When UCD got to the final last year and won the coin toss Derry fought the decision with vigour because we were a small club and our ground is not the best. But the rules were rules and there was no exceptions or provisions made in them. The final has to be in Windsor if Linfield win. The problem is that they made these stupid rules and set a stupid precedent by hosting the final in Tolka last year with Shels having qualified. It is stupid that Cork will have to travel the length of the country while Linfield will be at home but they're the rules and precedents set. You can't shift goalposts mid tournament. The rules should have had the final to be always in a neutral ground.

As for the original topic. Before the semis I couldn't hazard a guess at who would win and I think that is what has been good about this year's tournament. I've enjoyed it.

Dassa
11/04/2006, 11:58 AM
very true.

A face
11/04/2006, 12:53 PM
If its at home to Linfield then we'll have to look at same day flights because i know that alot of people just wont travel 9 hrs up and 9 hrs down .... its a shame because if it were Tolka, it would be a full house and both teams would be well supported !!

Dassa
11/04/2006, 1:11 PM
If its at home to Linfield then we'll have to look at same day flights because i know that alot of people just wont travel 9 hrs up and 9 hrs down .... its a shame because if it were Tolka, it would be a full house and both teams would be well supported !!

I feel sorry for cork,but do you not understand what message this would send out to the teams from NI. Its setantas fault last year should never have happened at Tolka but it did. If Linfield are in the final and its played at Tolka the competition for me will have lost all credability.

Bald Student
11/04/2006, 1:14 PM
I feel sorry for cork,but do you not understand what message this would send out to the teams from NI. Its setantas fault last year should never have happened at Tolka but it did. If Linfield are in the final and its played at Tolka the competition for me will have lost all credability.I agree. I future years the rule should probably be changed to a fair neutral venue but you can't change the rules this close to the game.

pineapple stu
11/04/2006, 1:14 PM
Exactly. You make a call and you have to stick with it. There was a lot of pressure to have the League Cup Final played in the Brandywell and not in Belfield even after we won home draw - it would have been a disgrace had it been changed and would have sent out all the wrong messages. This is a similar incident. You can't change the rules to suit telly or to suit one set of fans. The rules were there at the outset and can't be changed now.

pineapple stu
11/04/2006, 1:16 PM
Incidentally, Dassa - what would be the next best ground up north after Windsor? There should be three grounds proposed for the final - three north, three south. In any one year, we know if the final will be up north or down south. The three grounds are listed in order of preference. If Ground 1 is the home of one of the clubs involved, then you scratch that off the list and go to ground 2. Then (a) there's plenty of warning that you might host the final (b) there's decent warning that you will host the final and (c) you're guaranteed a neutral venue.

Dassa
11/04/2006, 1:33 PM
It depends if you are talking about the best or the biggest, The oval is massive but for the crowd expected the atmosphere would be poor. However Mourneview can only hold 4000 yet the atmosphere when packed is brillant. Shamrock park isnt great but if good crowd can have good atmosphere going in the shed. ballymena also good but its far to far away for the teams from ROI. I really feel sorry for Cork if they have to make this long journey but for the future of the competition if Linfield make the final it has to happen.

Raheny Red
12/04/2006, 10:52 AM
Well there goes my prediction :rolleyes: :p :o

pineapple stu
12/04/2006, 6:56 PM
Ditto. Must say I was very disappointed with Linfield. Didn't have much to offer other than hoofing up to their forwards.

CharlesThompson
12/04/2006, 10:13 PM
I dunno about any of you lot, but I still think Shelbourne have a chance. With Oily Byrne on their side, there's no knowing what might happen.

Celdrog
12/04/2006, 10:43 PM
I dunno about any of you lot, but I still think Shelbourne have a chance. With Oily Byrne on their side, there's no knowing what might happen.

:D :D :D

DmanDmythDledge
13/04/2006, 5:11 PM
I went for Drogs and I still think that they will go on to win it. They have been in good form lately.