PDA

View Full Version : A drink with Stan

Daxion
08/04/2006, 11:14 AM
-----

TheJamaicanP.M.
08/04/2006, 2:01 PM
The stadium in Teplice has a capacity of 18,424 while the stadium in Kosice has a seating capacity of 8,787.

If this is true, it will mean that Ireland will get just over 1,800 tickets for the Czech game and 870 tickets for the Slovakia game.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is true. The Czechs are known for rotating their games between Prague, Olomouc and Teplice. Indeed, the stadium in Prague is not much bigger than the one in Teplice. The Slovaks don't tend to get large crowds for their international games and this might be one of the reasons for using a smaller stadium. I have a feeling that both the Czechs and Slovaks may have realised that Ireland have the potential to bring a huge away support. They might have moved the games to these cities to make it difficult for Irish fans to travel there and ensure that there is a more partisan home support. It reminds me of the Turks playing us in Bursa in 1999. The Germans would appear to have used similar reasoning when fixing the game for Stuttgart.

Roo69
08/04/2006, 2:23 PM
[QUOTE=Daxion]I was in the Crown in Cricklewood and had a great chat with Stan last night.[QUOTE]

He was out at the Bray Vs St. Pats league cup game during the week, Brian Kerr was there as well

Coltron
08/04/2006, 2:28 PM
I watched the Czechs play Macadonia in Teplice during their qualifing campaign last summer. It's not that far from Prague on the train between 1 1/2-2 hours. Only cost three euro in, or something ridiculous like that. Stadium wasn't full either only about 3/4 of capacity. Nice stadium all the same I think the JPM is right on the size too.

As for the game, they went a goal down after 20 mins, were 2-1 up at HT and 6-1 by FT if memory serves. They played exellent attacking football with well organised moves to dominate Macadonia. If only they had two quality centre halfs they would be among the favourites in June.

Paddy Garcia
08/04/2006, 7:55 PM
& his 'support' for R*ngers FC!:eek:

What's that about?

geysir
08/04/2006, 10:05 PM
I like that character assessment, extra-marital activity, poor tactics as national team manager but the only real transgression - he was once a Rangers fan. At last we have the priorities in proper order :)

sylvo
09/04/2006, 11:05 AM
The Forces of Darkness, from G51.:eek:
Still he's been 'forgiven' this transgression, as he proved his 'tactics' weren't up to the job in international footy. :(
Is rather partial to a glass of blanco vino though, but no harm there.

I belive you became good friends with him.

Feech
09/04/2006, 7:14 PM
They might have moved the games to these cities to make it difficult for Irish fans to travel there and ensure that there is a more partisan home support. It reminds me of the Turks playing us in Bursa in 1999. The Germans would appear to have used similar reasoning when fixing the game for Stuttgart.

I think you might be right about the Germans, it is almost impossible to get to Stuttgart after all...there were almost no Irish fans there when we played England in Stuttgart...

CollegeTillIDie
10/04/2006, 6:23 AM
I think you might be right about the Germans, it is almost impossible to get to Stuttgart after all...there were almost no Irish fans there when we played England in Stuttgart...

Classic! :D I was there though :p

Paddy Garcia
10/04/2006, 7:34 PM
I like that character assessment, extra-marital activity, poor tactics as national team manager but the only real transgression - he was once a Rangers fan. At last we have the priorities in proper order :)

Fair point..... though I could never understand why he took our most likely goal scorer off against Switzerland with 20 odd mins to go!

Not for that matter why he turned Nolan down at the end of the last European campaign.

Plastic Paddy
10/04/2006, 8:15 PM
Not for that matter why he turned Nolan down at the end of the last European campaign.

Do you have proof or is this mere conjecture?

:ball: PP

lopez
11/04/2006, 9:25 AM
I'm coming in a bit late here, but can someone explain why Daxion's initial post has been censored? He did have a drink with Stan that night. Did Dax mention Luton and Watford in his post by any chance, like Gonzo has?

Dodge
11/04/2006, 9:27 AM
Its quoted above...

Cowboy
11/04/2006, 11:45 AM
I'm coming in a bit late here, but can someone explain why Daxion's initial post has been censored? He did have a drink with Stan that night. Did Dax mention Luton and Watford in his post by any chance, like Gonzo has?

Was wondering the same mi amigo

Jerry The Saint
11/04/2006, 2:37 PM

He did pick him for Ireland when Nolan was 18 and tried to get him to declare on more than one occasion since then. There's only so many times that someone can tell you to f**k off before you stop begging them (although I haven't heard anywhere else of Nolan making himself available for Ireland but being refused by Kerr. Even Staunton hasn't officially requested a rule change...yet).

Paddy Garcia
11/04/2006, 8:27 PM
Do you have proof or is this mere conjecture?

:ball: PP

I've read that when it looked like we had a reasonable chance of qualifying for the European finals, Nolan made overtures to play for Ireland.

Apparently Kerr was not interested. The suggestion is that a) long memory of the U18's and b) viewed Nolan's approach as cynical on the eve of a finals tournament.

At that stage no rule change would have been required.

Dodge
12/04/2006, 9:47 AM
I ****ing hate Kevin Nolan at this stage. And he's done nothing himself to make me feel this way

dr_peepee
12/04/2006, 10:22 PM
Fair point..... though I could never understand why he took our most likely goal scorer off against Switzerland with 20 odd mins to go! .

Kerrs vices annd merits can be stewed over and argued with, but one thing I will vehemently defend him on was subbing Robbie Keane during that game.

Robbie had been brutal and was brutal in the games leading up to it and if anything Kerr was guilty of subbing the wrong forward at times. But against the Swiss he was right to take him off and I can say with a large degree of certainty that most of the stadium agreed with the decision that night.

tetsujin1979
12/04/2006, 10:48 PM
In an ordinary game, then yes, I would agree with taking off a misfiring striker. But the Swiss game was no ordinary game, and we needed goals, 2 players up front clearly were not going to score, why not take off Carr and try three up? Or Holland with 5 minutes to go and put 4 up front? If the Swiss scored, so what?? A draw was as bad as a loss in that game, we needed goals, and by removing a striker Kerr took away another chance to get one.

Stuttgart88
13/04/2006, 6:54 AM
I can say with a large degree of certainty that most of the stadium agreed with the decision that night.Do you work for Gallup or something? :)

dr_peepee
13/04/2006, 7:58 AM
Gallup??

Nah!! I was in the east terrace and everyone (no exageration) including myself was baying for keane to be removed...

Stuttgart88
13/04/2006, 8:24 AM
Gallup??I think they're the world's biggest market research / polling company.

We'll agree to differ on subbing Robbie. It's old news anyway.

stojkovic
15/04/2006, 3:19 PM
The only thing wrong with taking off Robbie was that it wasnt done twenty minutes earlier. He was shocking. His sulky reaction coming off spoke volumes. He looked like someone told him Lillies and Renards had closed down.

The longer he stayed on then, yes Kerr should have left him on. Its up there with Graham Taylor taking off Lineker in '92. Or worse the Special One bringing on Huth against Barsa.