PDA

View Full Version : Some of our Under 18's

Bungle
06/04/2006, 5:07 PM
Platt and Ryan,Irish Under 18's,while a number of the other lads are undoubtedly eligible.Redmond seems to have had a great game for Forest.

Liverpool u18's were held to a 2-2 draw by Nottingham Forest at the Academy this afternoon. Forest led 1-0 at half time having had the advantage of a strong wind in the opening 45 minutes, but the reds hit back after the break and led 2-1 through goals by Jonathon Pringle (pictured) and Craig Lindfield, before Forest equalised from the penalty spot.

Liverpool struggled to cope with the wind in the first half, and fell behind early on to a well struck free kick by the impressive German youngster Felix Bastians. The reds failed to manage any meaningful effort on goal in the opening 45 minutes, but with the wind at their backs after the break they came out flying.

Pringle levelled the scores with a good header, and not long after Lindfield also headed home after good work by man of the match Jimmy Ryan.

Forest keeper Shane Redmond, an Ireland u18 international, was in excellent form and made several good stops to keep his side in the game. The visitors levelled after a defensive by error by Jay Spearing, who was making his first start since breaking his leg against Leeds in September.

He was caught out by the wind and played his keeper Paul Lancaster into trouble, and although Lancaster felt he had both hands on the ball when he was challenged by a Forest striker, the ball came loose and he hauled back the forward and a penalty was awarded. Bastians scored from the spot for his second of the game.

Redmond made a stunning late save from Paul Barratt to preserve a point for the visitors.

Team: Lancaster; Holmes, Spearing, Woods, Threlfall; Platt, Flynn, Ryan, Barratt; Pringle (Nardiello), Lindfield (Wignall):

SaucyJack
06/04/2006, 7:47 PM
Born in Scotland but Irish by choice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 06 April 2006 Section: International

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eighteen years old Andy Jackson qualifies for Ireland through his Irish-born mother and now he has his heart set on making an impact with Ireland’s U18 international team
Ireland U18 v Hungary U18, Arklow Town FC, 5pm.
Ireland Under-18 striker Andy Jackson is learning his trade under the guidance of the former Irish senior International Owen Coyle, manager at St. Johnstone.

Scottish born Coyle was capped for Ireland under Jack Charlton in 1994. He played against Netherlands in Tilburg in a match Ireland won 2-0 prior to the World Cup finals in the USA.

Now his protégé, 18-year old Andy Jackson, is primed to continue the quest of emulating his manager’s feat by winning an Irish cap. He is chasing a place in the Republic’s Under-18 side to play Hungary on Thursday (April 6) in an International friendly at Arklow Town’s ground (Kick-off 5pm).

The Falkirk-born centre-forward qualifies for Ireland through his Dublin-born mother and he earned his second cap in an Irish shirt during the 1-0 triumph over Hungary on Tuesday.

He made his debut in the friendly match away to Malta in February and was delighted to be involved at International level.

The youngster has profited from Coyle’s decision to send him out on loan this season. The first part of the season was spent at Cowdenbeath but he’s made most impact at Scottish Second Division side Forfar Athletic, where he bagged a brace against Raith Rovers last week.

Ireland’s second match in a week against Hungary will again be played in Arklow and Jackson is eager to stake his claim for a place in the squad ahead of next September’s UEFA qualifying series in Macedonia.

“I know that it’s going to be difficult to keep my place in the Irish squad but I’m excited by the challenge,” said the 18-year old. “I was called into the squad for the Malta game but wasn’t able to travel with the squad on that day because I had a match with my club. I followed them out and when I arrived, the lads in the Irish squad made me feel very welcome.”

The process of involving Jackson in the Irish squad was helped significantly by St. Johnstone Youth coach Tommy Campebll, as Jackson explains:

“Tommy (Campbell) spoke to the FAI about me qualifying and I was thrilled when I heard that I’d been called up for the games against Malta.”

Campbell has a reputation for developing young players, including Scottish International Callum Davidson, into top players and Jackson wants to help his club career by faring well for Ireland.

“I aim to keep moving up through the age-groups for the Irish squad,” he said. “I’ve quite a large Irish family and they should be along to Arklow for game against Hungary. It would be great to play on Thursday and to grab a goal would just make my week.”

Ireland’s game against Hungary today in this Under 18 International friendly will be played at Arklow Town’s ground (Kick-off 5pm). John Quigley scored the only goal of the game in the first half of Tuesday’s game to give Ireland their narrow victory over Hungary in the first game of this double-header. The re-match should be just as competitive.

IRELAND SQUAD:
Jimmy McKeown (Walsall), Simon Madden (Leeds Utd), John Quigley (Stoke City) – captain, Alan Power (Notts Forest), Darren Dennehy (Everton), Stephen Gleeson (Wolves), Shane Treacy (Arsenal), Adam Rooney (Stoke City), Mark Salmon (Wolves), Andrew Jackson (St. Johnstone), Michael Roddy & Matthew Cassidy (Both Bolton Wanderers) Emeka Onwubiko (St. Kevins Boys), Stephen Maher (Unattached), Kevin McArdle (Shelbounre), Tiernan Mulvenna (Dundalk), Lee Boyle (Aston Villa), David Grincell, Luke Melchier (Huddersfield Town).

Article Resources
E-mail this to a friend
Bookmark this Page
Newsfeeds

FAI News

Download It Now (5.3 MB)

CollegeTillIDie
10/04/2006, 7:02 AM
Born in Scotland but Irish by choice

Date: Thursday, 06 April 2006 Section: International

Eighteen years old Andy Jackson qualifies for Ireland through his Irish-born mother and now he has his heart set on making an impact with Ireland’s U18 international team
Ireland U18 v Hungary U18, Arklow Town FC, 5pm.
Ireland Under-18 striker Andy Jackson is learning his trade under the guidance of the former Irish senior International Owen Coyle, manager at St. Johnstone.

Scottish born Coyle was capped for Ireland under Jack Charlton in 1994. He played against Netherlands in Tilburg in a match Ireland won 2-0 prior to the World Cup finals in the USA.

Now his protégé, 18-year old Andy Jackson, is primed to continue the quest of emulating his manager’s feat by winning an Irish cap. He is chasing a place in the Republic’s Under-18 side to play Hungary on Thursday (April 6) in an International friendly at Arklow Town’s ground (Kick-off 5pm).

The Falkirk-born centre-forward qualifies for Ireland through his Dublin-born mother and he earned his second cap in an Irish shirt during the 1-0 triumph over Hungary on Tuesday.

He made his debut in the friendly match away to Malta in February and was delighted to be involved at International level.

The youngster has profited from Coyle’s decision to send him out on loan this season. The first part of the season was spent at Cowdenbeath but he’s made most impact at Scottish Second Division side Forfar Athletic, where he bagged a brace against Raith Rovers last week.

Ireland’s second match in a week against Hungary will again be played in Arklow and Jackson is eager to stake his claim for a place in the squad ahead of next September’s UEFA qualifying series in Macedonia.

“I know that it’s going to be difficult to keep my place in the Irish squad but I’m excited by the challenge,” said the 18-year old. “I was called into the squad for the Malta game but wasn’t able to travel with the squad on that day because I had a match with my club. I followed them out and when I arrived, the lads in the Irish squad made me feel very welcome.”

The process of involving Jackson in the Irish squad was helped significantly by St. Johnstone Youth coach Tommy Campebll, as Jackson explains:

“Tommy (Campbell) spoke to the FAI about me qualifying and I was thrilled when I heard that I’d been called up for the games against Malta.”

Campbell has a reputation for developing young players, including Scottish International Callum Davidson, into top players and Jackson wants to help his club career by faring well for Ireland.

“I aim to keep moving up through the age-groups for the Irish squad,” he said. “I’ve quite a large Irish family and they should be along to Arklow for game against Hungary. It would be great to play on Thursday and to grab a goal would just make my week.”

Ireland’s game against Hungary today in this Under 18 International friendly will be played at Arklow Town’s ground (Kick-off 5pm). John Quigley scored the only goal of the game in the first half of Tuesday’s game to give Ireland their narrow victory over Hungary in the first game of this double-header. The re-match should be just as competitive.

IRELAND SQUAD:
Jimmy McKeown (Walsall), Simon Madden (Leeds Utd), John Quigley (Stoke City) – captain, Alan Power (Notts Forest), Darren Dennehy (Everton), Stephen Gleeson (Wolves), Shane Treacy (Arsenal), Adam Rooney (Stoke City), Mark Salmon (Wolves), Andrew Jackson (St. Johnstone), Michael Roddy & Matthew Cassidy (Both Bolton Wanderers) Emeka Onwubiko (St. Kevins Boys), Stephen Maher (Unattached), Kevin McArdle (Shelbounre), Tiernan Mulvenna (Dundalk), Lee Boyle (Aston Villa), David Grincell, Luke Melchier (Huddersfield Town).

Article Resources
E-mail this to a friend
Bookmark this Page
Newsfeeds

FAI News

Download It Now (5.3 MB)

Shouldn't that be Emeka O'Nwubiko at this stage? :D

Stuttgart88
10/04/2006, 8:09 AM
How many Irish will be in the Liverpool vs Man City FA Youth Cup Final next week?

tetsujin1979
10/04/2006, 9:49 AM
Karl Moore and Garry Breen should start for Man City. Michael Doyle and Donal McDermott may be involved, but they are 2 years behind the Youth team age, so will probably be subs at best.