PDA

View Full Version : North Tipp & District League 2005/06

bawn79
06/04/2006, 3:46 PM
Am I the only poster that plays in North Tipp.
Plus link to our website http://www.geocities.com/jimster717/newtowncelticfc.html

hamish
06/04/2006, 7:04 PM
I played in it with Oaktown Albion (ie Portumna) in the late 70s. :D

bawn79
07/04/2006, 1:34 PM
I played against a Portuma team when i was about 15 would have been early 90s. They haven't had a team in the league since. Makes since really since they are in Galway.

hamish
07/04/2006, 4:05 PM
I played against a Portuma team when i was about 15 would have been early 90s. They haven't had a team in the league since. Makes since really since they are in Galway.
They've played in Galway and, more recently, Roscommon League, bawn79 but disappeared a year or so ago. Don't know why??

bawn79
10/04/2006, 9:21 AM
Its a strong hurling area, maybe that has something to do with it.

hamish
10/04/2006, 7:10 PM
Its a strong hurling area, maybe that has something to do with it.

True but Jimmy Heverin (coach of Irish champions Portumna hurlers this year) played for my Ports side in 1986 and there's a great interest there but, sadly, people who ran the footie there kinda drop in and out as far as I know. BTW, we used to play against Ballymac and teams like that in 1978.
My school side used to play Steamstown a lot in friendlies - is Donal Golden's dad still involved there??

bawn79
11/04/2006, 1:41 PM
I know the ballymackey team pretty well a few of the guys train with us on the astro-turf in Nenagh. We played streamstown in the cup last year and they were pretty poorly run so I doubt he is still involved.
North Tipp soccer in general is in the doldrums, the best team in it at the moment are practically homeless Nenagh Celtic. They barely have a youths set-up. Nenagh Town have invested heavily in a new development of astroturf pitches and regular pitches and should bounce back with a very strong team.
Templemore/Blackcastle are reasonably strong but i dont think they must be putting as much effort into youth development because the standard of player they are producing is dropping. After that they are lots of country/village teams that are basically being kept going by 3-4 people.

hamish
11/04/2006, 3:26 PM
I know the ballymackey team pretty well a few of the guys train with us on the astro-turf in Nenagh. We played streamstown in the cup last year and they were pretty poorly run so I doubt he is still involved.
North Tipp soccer in general is in the doldrums, the best team in it at the moment are practically homeless Nenagh Celtic. They barely have a youths set-up. Nenagh Town have invested heavily in a new development of astroturf pitches and regular pitches and should bounce back with a very strong team.
Templemore/Blackcastle are reasonably strong but i dont think they must be putting as much effort into youth development because the standard of player they are producing is dropping. After that they are lots of country/village teams that are basically being kept going by 3-4 people.

Sorry to hear that bawn79 - I must say I enjoyed the games I played in the league - I remember Noel Monteith and a Liam bloke from Cloughjordan who I used to meet now and again. Think Noel in out of the scene now. What about John Freeman in Thurles?? Is he still involved??
Yeah, I think I played against Blackcastle too and Ballymacackey - at least I think I did. There was another club called Ramblers too. Think they wore Arsenal type shirts but its not far off 20 years since I played so the memory is a bit thin.:)

tipp man
11/04/2006, 7:16 PM
John Freeman steeped down as League secretary after about 100 years last year and the league is suffering as a result.

He is still previewing games on Tipp FM thought; in his own unique style!!!!

bawn79
12/04/2006, 9:53 AM
John Freeman steeped down as League secretary after about 100 years last year and the league is suffering as a result.

He is still previewing games on Tipp FM thought; in his own unique style!!!!

I used play on the North Tipp Youths team when John Freeman was manager, basically it was just an excuse to send young lads that weren't good enough for trials in England (I was one of the ones that wasn't even good enough to not be good enough!) So Tipp man are you involved in North or South Tipp soccer?

bawn79
12/04/2006, 4:05 PM
Sorry to hear that bawn79 - I must say I enjoyed the games I played in the league - I remember Noel Monteith and a Liam bloke from Cloughjordan who I used to meet now and again. Think Noel in out of the scene now. What about John Freeman in Thurles?? Is he still involved??
Yeah, I think I played against Blackcastle too and Ballymacackey - at least I think I did. There was another club called Ramblers too. Think they wore Arsenal type shirts but its not far off 20 years since I played so the memory is a bit thin.:)

Liam Tierney is the guy ur on about i think, big tall striker. I marked him when i was about 17 for our B team he must have been shoving 40ish. Cant remember how the game went. The ramblers must have kept rambling coz they are gone now.
My team Newtown have probably the best pitch but the guy that owns it is trying to sell it to developers, only plus is it is in the county development plan so he will have to give another field elsewhere for it. Hopefully we will be able to get some additional facilities with it.

hamish
12/04/2006, 7:59 PM
Liam Tierney is the guy ur on about i think, big tall striker. I marked him when i was about 17 for our B team he must have been shoving 40ish. Cant remember how the game went. The ramblers must have kept rambling coz they are gone now.
My team Newtown have probably the best pitch but the guy that owns it is trying to sell it to developers, only plus is it is in the county development plan so he will have to give another field elsewhere for it. Hopefully we will be able to get some additional facilities with it.

Don't think that's him bawn - think his second name is Walsh???

John Freeman gave me a few players to try out with Athlone Town reserves back in the 90s - it was too hard though to finance them coming and going for training and playing - they were nifty enough. It nearly killed me collecting them and dropping them home from/to Thurles and Nenagh.:D

I think I played against Newtown FC - were they on the go in the late 70s??

bawn79
13/04/2006, 8:56 AM
Don't think that's him bawn - think his second name is Walsh???

John Freeman gave me a few players to try out with Athlone Town reserves back in the 90s - it was too hard though to finance them coming and going for training and playing - they were nifty enough. It nearly killed me collecting them and dropping them home from/to Thurles and Nenagh.:D

I think I played against Newtown FC - were they on the go in the late 70s??

Not sure so who he is, think Newtown only started up in the early to mid eighties as far as i know.
So are still in the tipp area sirhamish?, we could use some managerial expierence! Pay negotiable i.e you will want to get paid we wont give u any!

But seriously we are trying to push the club forward this year and get in a lot of soccer only players so anyone in the area interested pm me or mail me at bawn79@yahoo.com.

hamish
13/04/2006, 6:01 PM
Not sure so who he is, think Newtown only started up in the early to mid eighties as far as i know.
So are still in the tipp area sirhamish?, we could use some managerial expierence! Pay negotiable i.e you will want to get paid we wont give u any!

But seriously we are trying to push the club forward this year and get in a lot of soccer only players so anyone in the area interested pm me or mail me at bawn79@yahoo.com.

Sorry bawn, live in Beeslow and can't drive anymore. Used to teach in Portumna - that's why I played for them when I first started in the school there.

bawn79
15/04/2006, 1:07 PM
No bother Sir Hamish, just said id ask the question. Trying to push the club forward and all that and you sound like someone that knows his stuff.
Anyway hopefully someone else happens to walk in here and I can kidnap. them to play/coach for our club!

bawn79
21/04/2006, 2:55 PM
Bump ----------

bawn79
04/05/2006, 4:30 PM
Double Bump --- This is very bad

hamish
04/05/2006, 5:41 PM
Bawn - what does bump and double bump mean??:confused:
Any news on the North Tipp League - how are Borrisokane doing this weather?
I know one can get info. from the Star etc about North Tipp footie but your own knowledge of what's really happening would be better.:)

the 12 th man
04/05/2006, 8:06 PM
Bawn - what does bump and double bump mean??:confused:

I think he's a bit dissapointed that he's had to bump (post something just to bring the thread back into view) because there's not enough people getting involved in the thread.:)

bawn79
08/05/2006, 8:53 AM
I think he's a bit dissapointed that he's had to bump (post something just to bring the thread back into view) because there's not enough people getting involved in the thread.:)

Yip very true, was hoping to stimulate a little chat about the league and where it is going but it doesnt seem to be happening.
Ive found the standard of football to be getting worse over the last few years from when it was really competitive in the mid nineties.
Borrisokane are defunct, which is weird because the area they occupy actually would have a much bigger population than the club I play for and we are in the Premier. Just seems to be a lack of interest on there part.

jimhacker
10/05/2006, 9:55 AM
On the subject of names from the past/present, is that Glen Campbell fella still refereeing?

bawn79
10/05/2006, 11:50 AM
On the subject of names from the past/present, is that Glen Campbell fella still refereeing?
I cant say he is, what era was this in? Did u play in north tipp?

jimhacker
11/05/2006, 1:02 PM
I cant say he is, what era was this in? Did u play in north tipp?

I'd say from early eighties on. to call him fastidious and eccentric would be an understatement.

I enjoyed a brief flirtation with North Tipp league around 1980/81.Thurles Town were my team.

bawn79
11/05/2006, 1:34 PM
I'd say from early eighties on. to call him fastidious and eccentric would be an understatement.

I enjoyed a brief flirtation with North Tipp league around 1980/81.Thurles Town were my team.

There are still plenty of eccentric refs but that is par for the course.
Thurles Town dont even have a premier team anymore which is crazy, I can remember in the mid 90s they had a 'C' team. Now there 'A' team is in the first division. I think they won a shield this year though. We played them a few times last year. They were pretty poor, a lot of young lads but no real direction. Im guessing that the better players in Thurles play in the south tipp league.

bawn79
01/06/2006, 10:33 AM
The North Tipp league is starting back the 2nd week of July.

balls
01/06/2006, 10:07 PM
why is it starting so early . it will either make or break clubs seasons the early start. could effect rural teams badly with early start to season. players involved in gaa etc. wouldnt be such a problem in town teams though

bawn79
06/06/2006, 11:08 AM
Seems to be the idea. The shield starts first and if you get knocked out of that early you dont have another official game until the beginning of August.
I guess it rewards the teams that are better organised and dont rely on hurlers. To be honest i think there are way to many teams in North Tipp and it should be reduced and the teams relying less on hurlers.

tipp man
06/06/2006, 2:20 PM
Seems to be the idea. The shield starts first and if you get knocked out of that early you dont have another official game until the beginning of August.
I guess it rewards the teams that are better organised and dont rely on hurlers. To be honest i think there are way to many teams in North Tipp and it should be reduced and the teams relying less on hurlers.
I am in no way an expert on North Tipp football but from what I know I would have to agree with the above post. There are simply too many teams. Look at a parish like Holycross which is obviously in a hurling hot-bed. You have both Holycross and Cormackstown competeing for players. The fact that neither are capable of setting the world alight would indicate that the pool of available talent has been diluted to the extent that neither will be able to compete at anything like a competitive level. Untill some re-organisation takes place in North Tipp, the league is going no-where. Sorry, but thats a view from the South.

bawn79
07/06/2006, 9:00 AM
Totally agree! I have a few mates that play for another that are pretty handy, me and a maybe two others are running the club im playing for and they are doing the same. Ive been trying to get them to transfer but it would mean the end of their club, I dont want to be responsible for the end of that club but something has to be done. Nenagh Celtic have ran away with the league for the last 3 years and to be honest they are no great shakes. They only beat us in our last game with a last minute goal in injury time. And we started with 8 players!

tipp man
07/06/2006, 12:16 PM
The fact that a team is allowed to start a game with only 8 players would indicate that the League authorities and the refs are incapable of grasping a nettle on this. I know that rules do not proclude it but a Premier League cannot be described as healthy if this is allowed to occur. Good luck next season anyway mate, I hope Nenagh Celtic are challenged at the top. Its not in any leagues interest to have one side continuously dominate.