PDA

View Full Version : Comment on RTE CL Coverage

Ash
06/04/2006, 8:00 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned already or if its in the wrong section please
move.

Anyways I just caught the end of RTE's CL coverage last night when they
we're doing a bit of a roundup. They were on about Villareal being a small town
(20,000 people I think he said) and now they are in the CL semi final ... then he
ended with a sarcastic "eircom League take note"

I think he should have taken note that the reason behind Villareals rise has
been a hugh investment by a family and also the Spanish tv companies actually
broadcast and promote Spanish football ahead of any foreign leagues!

SeanDrog
06/04/2006, 8:17 AM
RTE wreack my head, every chance they get they try to put in some smart comment - it is so refreshing watching Setanta who try to be positive about the game they are showing and the clubs.

Mad Moose
06/04/2006, 8:21 AM
Not sure if it was Bill or Ray Houghton who said it but it seemed a very strange and ill thought reference given as you pointed out above. Perhaps a dig at the FAI might have been more appropriate but then you would need more than a dig or a sarcastic comment to alert that shower to the problems in the game here. In anycase there is little if any linl between Villareal and any league of Ireland club. Such a comparison might just have been more suited to any English League club climbing the leagues such as Wigan Athletic or Reading have done where there is literally a pot of gold at the end and the Champions League is a possibility.

Brendan

Ash
06/04/2006, 8:23 AM
Nah, it was the fella doing the voice over on the goals round-up.

Bill, Johnny and Ray we're far too busy arguing over whether or
not Arsenal played to a plan to be bothered commenting on eL

Maynard
06/04/2006, 9:26 AM
Yeah I noticed that myself. I particularly enjoyed the way he referred to the eL as if it was the Welsh league or some other such league that had nothing to do with he (an Irishman) reporting on foreign football for RTE (the Irish national broadcaster) Tools

max power
06/04/2006, 9:37 AM
who actually said it ??? i think some complaints to RTE is needed, anything to annoy those fools. Afterall whoever said it is having their wages pages by us the licence payers.

pete
06/04/2006, 10:51 AM
I am not usre if i was offended by the comment but i certainly saw the hypocracy of the comment when the National Broadcaster spent 3 1/2 hours covering the Champions League & could barely squeeze eL match into 2 hours on a friday night.

Villareal benefit from being a club in the best league in Europe which obviously gets them a lot of tv money something to which eL sides have no access to.

:rolleyes:

Dodge
06/04/2006, 11:09 AM
I am not usre if i was offended by the comment but i certainly saw the hypocracy of the comment when the National Broadcaster spent 3 1/2 hours covering the Champions League & could barely squeeze eL match into 2 hours on a friday night.

That was my reading of it.

A face
06/04/2006, 11:18 AM
This it ..... they really do themselves not favours at all, they compound their ineptness every week with some of their drivel but they really push the boat out and times and now is one of them. They really show themselves up at times but what is scary is that we are all so desensitised to it. They should be uproar but these dullards are wearing us down.

Get rid of them ..... get rid of the dullards and give us some decent coverage !! :mad: :( :o

Mick89
06/04/2006, 11:21 AM

Villareal benefit from being a club in the best league in Europe which obviously gets them a lot of tv money something to which eL sides have no access to.

:rolleyes:

That and the fact that the owner has pumped €70m into them. They used to only play in the Spanish Regional Leagues.

There's an article on them in the Indo today.

Maynard
06/04/2006, 1:33 PM
Yeah,apparently the club were in the 22nd league in Spain prior to Senor Moneybags ploughing in enough money to give Don King heart palpatations...

Fair play to them. However we are in a curious position in this country where we are paying money (and well over the odds at that) to have our own league largely ignored and then snidely ridiculed by the national broadcaster. I'm sure even any one of the 48,000 Viallareal natives would find that a tad peculiar...

A face
06/04/2006, 1:41 PM
I'm sure even any one of the 48,000 Viallareal natives would find that a tad peculiar...

Peculiar ?? ..... did you ever have to try and explain it to a foreign visitor exactly what is happening? Its embarrassing :eek:

JW.
06/04/2006, 3:03 PM
O'Herlihy's attitude is shockingly condescending, always has been.

Dodge
06/04/2006, 3:17 PM
He#s a rubbish tv presenter. Doesn't care about most things and has even less knowledge.

jbyrne
06/04/2006, 3:20 PM
i heard the remark and i think people are putting their own slant on it here to suit their own agendas. i took the remark to mean "look whats possible.... theres nothing to stop an eircom lge club doing similar" whats wrong with that?? its not even remotely condesending.

the constant eircom lge versus the rest of the football world discussion is becoming very very tiring

A face
06/04/2006, 3:25 PM
the constant eircom lge versus the rest of the football world discussion is becoming very very tiring

Agreed ... the sooner they see our way the better !! ;)

:p

Clifford
06/04/2006, 3:28 PM
i heard the remark and i think people are putting their own slant on it here to suit their own agendas. i took the remark to mean "look whats possible.... theres nothing to stop an eircom lge club doing similar" whats wrong with that?? its not even remotely condesending.

It was said with a sniggering tone, with no reference to the situation in Villareal. It was as if to say why the hell aren't Cork City in the semi's after knocking out Inter. Well 70 million is the difference, plus all the other above things mentioned.

Ash
06/04/2006, 3:31 PM
i took the remark to mean "look whats possible.... theres nothing to stop an eircom lge club doing similar" whats wrong with that?? its not even remotely condesending.

To me, the tone of his comment implied that if a small club like Villarreal can do
this theres no reason why eircom League clubs shouldn't be able to achieve
this feat.

I suppose the only thing stopping eL clubs doing a Villarreal on it would be a €70 million
investment and adequate coverage from the national broadcaster which he failed to
mention

manic da hoop
06/04/2006, 3:44 PM
I suppose the only thing stopping eL clubs doing a Villarreal on it would be a €70 million
investment and adequate coverage from the national broadcaster which he failed to
mention

Sorry to have to tell you this, but adequate coverage from RTE is not going to deliver a European Cup Semi-Final place for any eL team. €70 million might help though;)

Too much emphisis is placed on what RTE does (or doesn't do) for the game here.

jbyrne
06/04/2006, 4:39 PM
It was said with a sniggering tone, with no reference to the situation in Villareal. It was as if to say why the hell aren't Cork City in the semi's after knocking out Inter. Well 70 million is the difference, plus all the other above things mentioned.

it was by no means a "sniggering tone". that is a very easy but in this case false accusation to make.

of course villareal have spent a lot of money to get where they are but these things can be built up over a period of time. i am not an avid eircom lge supporter although i do take an interest in it and follow it during the season and would like nothing more than to see it do well.

there is nothing stopping an eircom lge team getting to the group stages of the champions lge and then following the money that would bring in who knows what could happen? i'm sure the reporter didnt mean that an eircom lge club should do exactly what villareal did and beat inter milan in the last 8 of the competion. i'm sure what was meant was that there is nothing stopping an eircom lge club doing something relatively similar to what villareal have done which given the difference in lge stature etc. would be for an Irish team to reach the group stages.

BohDiddley
06/04/2006, 6:32 PM
They were on about Villareal being a small town
(20,000 people I think he said) and now they are in the CL semi final ... then he
ended with a sarcastic "eircom League take note"
It's a fair comment if you extend it to sport funding policymakers (the ones who've given GAA all those millions and thrown football a few crumbs).
It's probably even more relevant if you apply it to Irish moneybags trying to buy the likes of Aston Villa and Sunderland. Niall Quinn was quoted the other day saying, without a hint of irony, that he wanted to rescue Sunderland because it reminded him of home. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the myopia we are up against.

pete
06/04/2006, 6:37 PM
Niall Quinn was quoted the other day saying, without a hint of irony, that he wanted to rescue Sunderland because it reminded him of home. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the myopia we are up against.

Well he has probably spent half his life living in the Uk so makes sense.

Irish players in the Uk rarely return to Ireland (even out local pundits live in the UK) in contrast with Scandanavians. Look at Larsson turning down a new contract with the mighty Barca to return to sweden playing 18 months in the Swedish league. More often than not Swedish players moving into coaching at home...

dfx-
06/04/2006, 8:26 PM
there is nothing stopping an eircom lge team getting to the group stages of the champions lge

Personally I'd list reality as the main reason stopping it.