PDA

View Full Version : Away Support

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dassa
05/04/2006, 4:14 PM
Was just wondering what sort of away support the Republic would get at away matches? I remember hearing about 10,000 going to some places would this be accurate?

Eire06
05/04/2006, 4:17 PM
Was just wondering what sort of away support the Republic would get at away matches? I remember hearing about 10,000 going to some places would this be accurate?
over 30,000 to Paris 2 years ago!! think that was the biggest! Was it

Dassa
05/04/2006, 4:19 PM
Thats unbelievable if true,must be one of the biggest away supports in relation to the size of the country in the world.

NY Hoop
05/04/2006, 4:22 PM
Imagine how healthy our domestic league would be if these people actually attended it:rolleyes:

KOH

$Leon$
05/04/2006, 4:22 PM
Thats unbelievable if true,must be one of the biggest away supports in relation to the size of the country in the world.

Stuttgart in Sept will also be big 10000-20000 i'd say
I'd also hazzard a guess that 30000+ will travel to Cardiff, obviously not all will get in to see the match. Expect Cardiff to be drank dry that week. (Fingers crossed we'll still be in a position to qualify)

pineapple stu
05/04/2006, 4:35 PM
The Faroes brought about 300 to Dublin, which is about the same!

It varies from game to game obviously. From the few that I've been at recently, there were about 11,000 in Cyprus, while the home fans section was taken up by Irish forces stationed in Cyprus, there were 30,000-35,000 in Paris, 15,000-20,000 in Basel Mark I (2003) and 300-500 in the Faroes, though another couple of hundred were fog-bound and never made it; I think they we have broken the Faroes' record for away crowd had everyone travelled. I think there were 20,000 in Portugal in 1995? That's mainly the big games and the decisive games though.

Incredible - and sad - to think more people travelled to Paris than would attend an entire fortnight of eircom League games

Colbert Report
05/04/2006, 4:39 PM
not trying to stir anything up but there is a big big difference in the quality of play between the Eircom League and the French national team.

pineapple stu
05/04/2006, 4:46 PM
No, but more people spending a grand on a one match 500 miles away - presumably getting tickets off EBay and random French people - versus spending fifteen quid on a game a couple of miles away? Hugely disproportionate effort, cost, etc. Just goes to show the potential for football in Ireland if we can get people away from the hype on the telly...

TheJamaicanP.M.
05/04/2006, 4:53 PM
I have to agree with Vega. I'd prefer to pay full costs for one Ireland away game than get free admission to a full season of EL games. Just because the EL exists does not mean that Irish supporters should feel obliged to attend its games.

Dillo
05/04/2006, 6:15 PM
Stuttgart in Sept will also be big 10000-20000 i'd say

The Stadium has a capacity of only 52,000 so there's no way there'll be that amount of Patricks over there. Germany has a population of 85,000,000 remember. Five or six thousand is more logical estimate for Stuttgart.

I think its a shame the Eircom League can't get more support. We all know its of a poor standard but a large increase at the gates could only improve this in the long run.

pineapple stu
05/04/2006, 6:29 PM
I'd prefer to pay full costs for one Ireland away game than get free admission to a full season of EL games.
People aren't being asked to choose though. They can easily do both.

Anyways, getting dragged off topic here.

zinedineontour
05/04/2006, 8:54 PM
The Stadium has a capacity of only 52,000 so there's no way there'll be that amount of Patricks over there. Germany has a population of 85,000 remember. Five or six thousand is more logical estimate for Stuttgart.

I think its a shame the Eircom League can't get more support. We all know its of a poor standard but a large increase at the gates could only improve this in the long run.

85,000 in Germany fair play to them most of the country must be going to the game then !!

Beavis
05/04/2006, 9:13 PM
Germany has a population of 85,000 remember
Holy sh!t thats nearly as big as Tallaght :D

TheJamaicanP.M.
05/04/2006, 9:21 PM
Holy sh!t thats nearly as big as Tallaght :D

They still can't produce a player like Robbie Keane.:D

Dassa
05/04/2006, 10:01 PM
I have to agree with Vega. I'd prefer to pay full costs for one Ireland away game than get free admission to a full season of EL games. Just because the EL exists does not mean that Irish supporters should feel obliged to attend its games.

Mate why not do both, i go to Loughgall matches every week and every NI match as well as some away matches. Personally love the feeling of supporting your local team one week then getting the treat of the internationals every few months.

Only2keanos
05/04/2006, 10:09 PM
At the world cup, there were no saudi or cameroon fans. The Germans were the best supported team we played with about maybe 2 to 4,000 people at that game. I met a spanish journalist before the last 16 game and he told me there were only 500 fans in total from Spain at the world cup including press and teams and officials.
Anyway, we had somewhere between 10 and 15,000 at each game. Spain and Germany have huge populations compared to us and are supposed to be football obsessed countries and yet we outnumbered them greatly. England were the only other travelling team with a similar support.

In short, we have a fantastic away support. I reckon we will probably get a good 15,000 into the game in stuttgart too. Even more of us will get tickets if the germans do crap at the world cup.

Dassa
06/04/2006, 12:19 AM
At the world cup, there were no saudi or cameroon fans. The Germans were the best supported team we played with about maybe 2 to 4,000 people at that game. I met a spanish journalist before the last 16 game and he told me there were only 500 fans in total from Spain at the world cup including press and teams and officials.
Anyway, we had somewhere between 10 and 15,000 at each game. Spain and Germany have huge populations compared to us and are supposed to be football obsessed countries and yet we outnumbered them greatly. England were the only other travelling team with a similar support.

In short, we have a fantastic away support. I reckon we will probably get a good 15,000 into the game in stuttgart too. Even more of us will get tickets if the germans do crap at the world cup.

Thats really surprising,is this figure official. NI would have a greater number if we qualifield and we are a nation of 1.6 million compared to spain. this cant be the case at all, if so very scary, is it really official figures?

PS. dont know much about foot.ie but why was this moved?.

Mr_T
06/04/2006, 9:40 AM

A lot of this is related to what people are saying in this thread about supporting your domestic league.

Football fans in Germany and Spain are fanatical about their local teams, whether its Barca or Cadiz, Bayern Munich or Kickers Offenbach. If your figures are correct then most clubs in German or Spanish top divisions take considerably more fans to away games than the National team. The same is true of fan in the UK (although the "Andy Gray army" fans of the last 10 years may differ) where most fans would support their local team ahead of the England side any day of the week.

Compare this to the Irish situation and you see the real picture, Irish football fans are event junkies. Turn up in their droves for the big games, be it rugby, GAA or soccer but not interested in the day to day grind of actually SUPPORTING a team. They want to say "I was there" and harp on about "de craic we had" down the pub for the next ten years. They'll pay a fortune to get to one BIG game be it old trafford or the Stade De France and that will do them for another 6 months. They'll pack Croker for the Dubs in the Leinster Championship but a rainy league game in Parnell Park will get a few thousand die hards. Leinster V Munster in the Heineken Cup could sell 100,000 tickets but how many were at the first round game?

And don't tell me its about quality of football, there are $hit games in the Premiership every week, boring 0-0 draws in Serie A, and there are 3-3 thrillers too, classic games with all at stake and passion abounding. Same is true of the Eircom league or any other league in the world.
Besides, when you SUPPORT a team you don't care what the quality of a match is as long as you win. Its about YOUR team beating somebody else. Don't believe me, how many Ireland fans would be sorry if we beat Brazil in the World Cup on penalties after a $hit game. When you support a team you take the $hit games with the sublime ones, and its all relative.
In general, as with many aspects of Irish society, when it comes to football the Irish nation is lazy, couldn't be bothered to put the work in when you can turn up 2 or 3 times a year and bask in the excitment of a BIG game.

I know the above ramblings are fairly broad generalisations and many people reading won't fit the category so don't get offended, but the thing with broad generalisation is that they are generally broadly true! There will be Irish fans in Stuttgart who will be running round wearing Scottish and English club shirts and will not be able to name one player on the team that plays down the road from them who were in Europe last year. There will also be those of us who are slightly peeved that we have to miss an away trip to Limerick to be there. I will always have more respect for people in the latter category, and feel sorry for the others who don't know what they are missing.

The best football match I have ever experienced was the 3-3 aggregate draw between Harps and Longford in the promotion relegation playoff in 2002 i think it was. 1-0 down from first leg and trailing 2-0 on aggregate at HT a McQ hat trick puts us back in front, only to go to penalties and lose on the last kick. The atmosphere, the excitement, the tears of joy, the tears of despair, the pride in your team even in defeat, the final realisation that we had to come back and do it all again next year, and looking forward to it before the night was out. Thats football.

TG

NeilMcD
06/04/2006, 9:53 AM
Its a free country people can go to Eircom league games if they want or they can choose to ignore them if they want. Less of people getting on their high horse. People are entitled to support who ever or whatever they like.

The analogy I always use is Music. Like football music is a form of culture. Should people be made to go see Mundy the Frames, Delcan O Rourke instead of Metallica or Bob Dylan in order to support their own. People can do whatever they want and its up to the organisers of each league around the world to get as many people to the games as possible.

Also you have to realise that there are some people who like going to Paris etc as its a bit of a trip with the lads and they are enjoying themselves. I have spoke to a few like that and they have gone to Eircom league games as they dont enjoy it. Its a fact of life that some people prefer the whole event side of things rather than the pure footballing aspect of an away trip.

What must happen though is that people who just go to the big trips etc do not get the tickets. Thats when you have a problem.

$Leon$
06/04/2006, 10:22 AM
The Stadium has a capacity of only 52,000 so there's no way there'll be that amount of Patricks over there. Germany has a population of 85,000,000 remember. Five or six thousand is more logical estimate for Stuttgart.

Dillo I think it's fair to say that the Irish contingent actually inside the ground on Sept 2nd will be alot more than the allocation of tickets that the DFB will supply to the FAI.
You have to remember that Germany will be coming into this game after a home world cup. Traditionally host nations have always done well in the world cup. 7 host nations have won the world cup not to mention the number of host nations that have made it to the final. Hopefully for irish fans this will lead to a football overload in germany meaning not alot of fans will travel to stuttgart.
For both Ireland and Germany this is the first game in the European Championship Qualifiers. This is a competition Germany have never failed to win the qualifying group compared to Ireland who have only ever qualified for once.
Alot of fans will also travel without tickets and not make it in to see the match.

NY Hoop
06/04/2006, 10:34 AM
A lot of this is related to what people are saying in this thread about supporting your domestic league.

Football fans in Germany and Spain are fanatical about their local teams, whether its Barca or Cadiz, Bayern Munich or Kickers Offenbach. If your figures are correct then most clubs in German or Spanish top divisions take considerably more fans to away games than the National team. The same is true of fan in the UK (although the "Andy Gray army" fans of the last 10 years may differ) where most fans would support their local team ahead of the England side any day of the week.

Compare this to the Irish situation and you see the real picture, Irish football fans are event junkies. Turn up in their droves for the big games, be it rugby, GAA or soccer but not interested in the day to day grind of actually SUPPORTING a team. They want to say "I was there" and harp on about "de craic we had" down the pub for the next ten years. They'll pay a fortune to get to one BIG game be it old trafford or the Stade De France and that will do them for another 6 months. They'll pack Croker for the Dubs in the Leinster Championship but a rainy league game in Parnell Park will get a few thousand die hards. Leinster V Munster in the Heineken Cup could sell 100,000 tickets but how many were at the first round game?

And don't tell me its about quality of football, there are $hit games in the Premiership every week, boring 0-0 draws in Serie A, and there are 3-3 thrillers too, classic games with all at stake and passion abounding. Same is true of the Eircom league or any other league in the world.
Besides, when you SUPPORT a team you don't care what the quality of a match is as long as you win. Its about YOUR team beating somebody else. Don't believe me, how many Ireland fans would be sorry if we beat Brazil in the World Cup on penalties after a $hit game. When you support a team you take the $hit games with the sublime ones, and its all relative.
In general, as with many aspects of Irish society, when it comes to football the Irish nation is lazy, couldn't be bothered to put the work in when you can turn up 2 or 3 times a year and bask in the excitment of a BIG game.

I know the above ramblings are fairly broad generalisations and many people reading won't fit the category so don't get offended, but the thing with broad generalisation is that they are generally broadly true! There will be Irish fans in Stuttgart who will be running round wearing Scottish and English club shirts and will not be able to name one player on the team that plays down the road from them who were in Europe last year. There will also be those of us who are slightly peeved that we have to miss an away trip to Limerick to be there. I will always have more respect for people in the latter category, and feel sorry for the others who don't know what they are missing.

The best football match I have ever experienced was the 3-3 aggregate draw between Harps and Longford in the promotion relegation playoff in 2002 i think it was. 1-0 down from first leg and trailing 2-0 on aggregate at HT a McQ hat trick puts us back in front, only to go to penalties and lose on the last kick. The atmosphere, the excitement, the tears of joy, the tears of despair, the pride in your team even in defeat, the final realisation that we had to come back and do it all again next year, and looking forward to it before the night was out. Thats football.

TG

POTM. Couldnt agree more. Looking forward to the 29th!

KOH

jbyrne
06/04/2006, 10:34 AM
honestly cant see more than 10,000 Irish going to stuttgart. paris is a lot easier to get to and tickets were not a problem either thats why such a big amt went. remember all the day trippers in paris? a lot of fans will wait to see if they get tickets before booking travel to this one. we will only get about 5,000 tickets officially and maybe another 2,000 to 3,000 from german sources etc

Mr_T
06/04/2006, 10:48 AM
Its a free country people can go to Eircom league games if they want or they can choose to ignore them if they want. Less of people getting on their high horse. People are entitled to support who ever or whatever they like.

The analogy I always use is Music. Like football music is a form of culture. Should people be made to go see Mundy the Frames, Delcan O Rourke instead of Metallica or Bob Dylan in order to support their own. People can do whatever they want and its up to the organisers of each league around the world to get as many people to the games as possible.

Also you have to realise that there are some people who like going to Paris etc as its a bit of a trip with the lads and they are enjoying themselves. I have spoke to a few like that and they have gone to Eircom league games as they dont enjoy it. Its a fact of life that some people prefer the whole event side of things rather than the pure footballing aspect of an away trip.

What must happen though is that people who just go to the big trips etc do not get the tickets. Thats when you have a problem.

I'm not getting on a high horse if your referring to me. I don't believe in preaching to people to support a team cause they SHOULD, I do try and take mates to games and see what they are missing.

You didn't adress any of my points however, the basic assertion being that Irish football (and other sports) fans love the big events, but can't be arsed with the rest of it, a phenomenon I don't think occurs as acutely in other countries whose away support was mentioned in this thread. We seem to be unique in this whether you think its a great attribute or a fault.

As for your music analogy :rolleyes: , there is no connection or similarity between being a fan of a band cause you like their music and the reasons why people support a football team, and if you think there is then you have never experienced what its like to be a fan of a team.

Being a fan of a team is widely accepted as being something you are for life If you support an English team (which is your right), say Liverpool and they are in decline while Man Utd are playing great football and winning things, do you say, know what, I think I'll go and follow Man Utd for a while cause they're better?? Or Celtic/Rangers or to put it more simply, if Ireland are $hite are you gonna excercise your free will and support England instead?? Find me a football fan that thinks thats totally acceptable!

With music you can be a fan of 100 different artists and if Metallica or Bob Dylan produce a succession of rubbish albums you're gonna move on to listen to somebody else who is producing quality music to your taste, and any music fan would do the same.

See the difference??

NY Hoop
06/04/2006, 10:52 AM
You're wasting your time with people like that. Bottom line is there is no football culture in this country. Proof is in your local on sunday afternoons.

KOH

NeilMcD
06/04/2006, 11:02 AM
Sorry I am not supporting the guy who only likes foreign leagues. I am justing pointing out the tone of the argument and looking down on people for not going to Eircom leagues does not help anybody and that includes the Eircom Leaugue. We live in a free society where people can do what they want and their is no moral or legal obligation in supporting your own league, or your own country or even liking football.

Stuttgart88
06/04/2006, 11:16 AM
Have the ticket application forms been sent out by FAI yet?

Dillo
06/04/2006, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=$Leon$ You have to remember that Germany will be coming into this game after a home world cup.

Yes. I know that. I'm going to the World Cup.

Traditionally host nations have always done well in the world cup. 7 host nations have won the world cup not to mention the number of host nations that have made it to the final.

I also know that. And your point is?

Hopefully for irish fans this will lead to a football overload in germany meaning not alot of fans will travel to stuttgart. [/QUOTE]

There's no such thing as a football overload in nations like England, Spain or Germany.

For a lad that never sits down and watches 90 minutes of football, you sure give the impression on this forum that you're a football fan! You don't attend Eircom League games, you don't follow the Premiership (or any other domestic league for that matter) and like myself, it's only recently you started going to Ireland games. Don Vito, no later than last night recalled our days together in Belgrove 23, 5 where you would leave the living room rather than sit down and watch a football match- his words, not mine! Anyway no hard feelings. ;)

JoeSemi
06/04/2006, 12:20 PM
As a fully fledged Ireland follower home and abroad Leon is well entitled to air his views Dillo. He makes some very valid points and there's a lot to what he is saying as regards Germany's WC campaign having an impact on the following EC qualifiers. Where Leon has formed his opinions and facts is questionable as he can't bring himself to truly immerse himself in the beautiful game. He is entitled to air his views like everyone else, however, and should be commended for his regurgitation of others' opinions!:)

Irish_Praha
06/04/2006, 1:00 PM
Don't for get about the big Irish population in Germany too.

$Leon$
06/04/2006, 4:13 PM
There's no such thing as a football overload in nations like England, Spain or Germany.

For a lad that never sits down and watches 90 minutes of football, you sure give the impression on this forum that you're a football fan! You don't attend Eircom League games, you don't follow the Premiership (or any other domestic league for that matter) and like myself, it's only recently you started going to Ireland games. Don Vito, no later than last night recalled our days together in Belgrove 23, 5 where you would leave the living room rather than sit down and watch a football match- his words, not mine! Anyway no hard feelings. ;)

Dillo what are you on about?
Whats your point got to do with me not following domestic football?
Alot of English and European clubs sickin me to watch. Overpaid merceneries diving around the place trying to score free-kicks rather than goals.
As Liam Griffin once famously said "I can't understand how young Irish fellas can pledge allegiance to a piece of the industrial heartland of greater manchester or liverpool" and I'm sure his sentiments apply to Barcelona and Madrid in the same way.

Growing up not all of us were fortunate to have eL clubs on our door step. while some like your self were only a stones through from their nearest team others like myself were well over an hours drive from our nearest ground.

Just because i don't have a long tradition of actually attending International games doesn't mean i haven't been watching them.

Peadar
06/04/2006, 4:33 PM
We had around 4,000 in Tel Aviv last year.
It was the largest single influx of "tourists" to the country since the state was formed. They rolled out the green carpet and lined the streets with Irish flags. It was a fantastic trip!

I heard estimates of there being 40,000 in Paris for the game and around 35,000 people getting tickets. We completely took over the stadium. There were so many Irish in Paris that we crashed the mobile phone network.

There were over 14,000 of us in Cyprus for the last game.

We got 5,000 tickets for the Holland game in Amsterdam in 2000
The Dutch FA released another 2,500 tickets on the day of the game and pretty much all of them were taken up.

jbyrne
06/04/2006, 4:58 PM
We got 5,000 tickets for the Holland game in Amsterdam in 2000
The Dutch FA released another 2,500 tickets on the day of the game and pretty much all of them were taken up.

expect something similar for stuttgart

TheJamaicanP.M.
06/04/2006, 5:04 PM
I'll have to agree with $Leon$ here. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and he's made some good points about the Germany game in Stuttgart. I would agree that the country might be suffering from a football overload come September. When we played Holland in the Amsterdam Arena in September 2000, there were a few thousand empty seats in the stadium. The Dutch had gone out of Euro 2000 (which they co-hosted with Belgium) on a penalty shootout to Italy. The Ireland game was like an anti-climax for the Dutch supporters who are just as passionate about football as the Germans.

$Leon$ grew up in a part of Meath that is a long way from any EL club. Why should his interest in the game be worth any less because he doesn't follow an EL team? I grew up in Longford with League of Ireland football on my doorstep. I followed LTFC religiously since I was 7 and stopped going when I was 16. I became disillusioned with a lot of the people I saw involved in the club. The club has improved since then, and this can be mainly attributed to Jim Hanly. Nonetheless, there is still an element involved in the club that turns my stomach. I no longer feel an attachment to LTFC and don't feel obliged to attend EL games anymore.

As for $Leon$'s comments in relation to the big European clubs, I have to agree once more. How anyone can put Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal ahead of their own national team I don't know. Then again, people might wonder how I can put my national team ahead of local team. In my view, the G14 clubs have systematically set about destroying the beautiful game. If they get their way, international football will be a thing of the past. I watch Premiership and CL football every week and admit that I enjoy it. However, it doesn't have the same soul as international football. Therefore, I can understand why $Leon$ prefers to concentrate on Ireland.

It was Euro 88 and Ireland's involvement that gave me my love for football. I went to my first Ireland game in 1993 and have missed just one home game since 1995. I still get the same feeling on the day of an Ireland game, regardless of whether we're playing France in a WC qualifier or Canada in a friendly. The tension builds throughout the day and I get the butterflies as I walk towards the ground. No other sporting occasion can beat it for me. I suspect I'll be one of the few people that will be sorry to see the old Lansdowne knocked.:D That's why Ireland will always come first for me. LTFC, a Premiership or European club could never measure up.

I think this thread has highlighted a lot of snobbery, particularly on the part of EL fans. The Eircom League and the international team are not necessarily interchangeable for everyone. It's my view that someone who only supports Ireland is no less of a supporter than someone who attends EL games. Indeed, I've often read comments from EL fans complaining about Irish supporters wearing Celtic jersies. One thing I've noticed since the EL clubs got their allocation on the North Terrace is that many EL fans wear their EL jersies and scarves to Ireland games. There's a certain sense of irony there I feel.

nedder
06/04/2006, 5:13 PM
Sorry I am not supporting the guy who only likes foreign leagues. I am justing pointing out the tone of the argument and looking down on people for not going to Eircom leagues does not help anybody and that includes the Eircom Leaugue. We live in a free society where people can do what they want and their is no moral or legal obligation in supporting your own league, or your own country or even liking football.

Fully agree. The Eircom league has to become more attractive to fans, and I think it it going in the right direction with the likes of Cork city winning the league playing very attractive football.

An awful lot of irish fans that travel to games, while not regular eircom league followers, are involved with junior clubs up and down the country at grass roots level.

I think those involved with EL think the rest of us sit on our arses in the pub every weekend!

Kingdom
06/04/2006, 5:24 PM
I'll have to agree with $Leon$ here. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and he's made some good points about the Germany game in Stuttgart. I would agree that the ................. There's a certain sense of irony there I feel.
JPM ,

While sometimes I feel that a certain proportion of what you write is tosh and some posters seem to worship the space you type on, the piece of thinking you posted just there was a thing of pure beauty. Excellent post.

$Leon$
06/04/2006, 5:34 PM
JPM ,

While sometimes I feel that a certain proportion of what you write is tosh and some posters seem to worship the space you type on, the piece of thinking you posted just there was a thing of pure beauty. Excellent post.

Think we're talkin POTM material from the PM

Kingdom
06/04/2006, 6:03 PM
Think we're talkin POTM material from the PM
Fair enough but ye SOuth Co. Dublin kids think that every JPM post is POTM.

;)

$Leon$
06/04/2006, 6:07 PM
Fair enough but ye SOuth Co. Dublin kids think that every JPM post is POTM.

;)

This is the first time i've ever put one of his or anybody elses post up for POTM

Dillo
06/04/2006, 7:34 PM
Dillo what are you on about?
Whats your point got to do with me not following domestic football?
Alot of English and European clubs sickin me to watch. Overpaid merceneries diving around the place trying to score free-kicks rather than goals.
As Liam Griffin once famously said "I can't understand how young Irish fellas can pledge allegiance to a piece of the industrial heartland of greater manchester or liverpool" and I'm sure his sentiments apply to Barcelona and Madrid in the same way.

$Leon$, maybe i'm being a bit harsh on you there but you know where i'm coming from! You're entitled to your opinion as much as the rest, I never said you weren't. I have nothing against people who don't follow the Eircom League. In fact, I can perfectly understand why people don't follow it. However, I feel both your desire to watch and attend both football and rugby matches has only come about in recent times. Whether this is subject to some kind of peer pressure, or with regard to your sudden fondness for egg chasing, to fit in with the South Dublin folk I don't know. Maybe it's a bit of both. Furthermore, why do you put down your location on this forum as "Blackrock, County Dublin" when you actually live in Deansgrange:D ? If you cannot appreciate the likes of Barcelona and Arsenal, Ronaldinho and Fabregas, or bring yourself around to watch them on TV, I find it difficult to place you in the football fan category. The majority of Irish players play in the Premiership. Whats the difference watching Robbie Keane, one of those "overpaid merceneries" you label, playing in the green of Ireland or the white of Spurs?! This post is not a personal jibe or anything like it. What i'm saying is fact and i'm not the only one who shares the above sentiments may I add! :)

$Leon$
06/04/2006, 7:44 PM
However, I feel both your desire to watch and attend both football and rugby matches has only come about in recent times. Whether this is subject to some kind of peer pressure, or with regard to your sudden fondness for egg chasing, to fit in with the South Dublin folk I don't know.

Bull $hit is the only reply that comes to mind when i read your post.
All you see to do lately on this site if object to anything i post.

Just recieved this PM from Dillo, it explains alot of the sh1t he's talkin

Don't take any of this personal! It's more a ****take than anything!

Dillo
06/04/2006, 7:50 PM
You're clutching at straws there $Leon$. I sense the desperation in your words to defend your image at all costs. :p

Saint Tom
06/04/2006, 8:43 PM
back to the topic... its been all over the place I'm afraid Dassa!

Basel 03 had about 6000 in the ground and I saw tickets changing hand for €1000. Roughly 11-15k travelled.

Tel Aviv we had around 4000, As aforementioned largest ever tourist influx into the country. it cost approx €800 a head to get there and amid the security (suicide bombs in tel aviv two weeks before the match) and six hour direct flight from Dublin, it was impressive. it wll be interesting to see how many brits travel there for euro 2008

Cyprus 11-15k

http://www.thepeoplesflag.com/web/pics.asp?action=showpic&super_group_id=33&image_id=1216

http://www.thepeoplesflag.com/web/pics.asp?action=showpic&super_group_id=33&image_id=1218

two ends and and a lenght of the pitch

Paris: 30000-40000 http://www.thepeoplesflag.com/web/videos/france/neverwalkalone.mpeg

thanks to the lads at thepeoplesflag.com a cracking website by fans for fans.
The north bring a sizeable crowd away by all accounts. Hope this helps

Tom

Peadar
07/04/2006, 12:24 PM
expect something similar for stuttgart

Are you going, JB?
Not sure what my plans are yet.
Still owe you a pint for that video.
Memory like and elephant, me! ;)

stickyjoe
07/04/2006, 12:56 PM
Basel 03 had about 6000 in the ground and I saw tickets changing hand for €1000. Roughly 11-15k travelled.

That trip really pi$$ed me off with some of the clowns that were on it with tickets. We went to basle 12 months later and only had about 1200 there. We couldnt give away tickets for the game

Karlos
07/04/2006, 1:27 PM
An awful lot of irish fans that travel to games, while not regular eircom league followers, are involved with junior clubs up and down the country at grass roots level.

I think those involved with EL think the rest of us sit on our arses in the pub every weekend!

Quality Post. The most undervalued people in Irish Football are those working within the local football community. I know I say it all the time but if every self-proclaimed 'REAL' football fan in this country could give one weekend to do a coaching course and then give an hour a week of their time to youth football thereafter, this country's footballing future would be in much better shape.

nedder
07/04/2006, 2:24 PM
Thanks Karlos.
it was said above there is no football culture in this country. I beg to differ. We have huge participation levels in this country. Eircom league has its problems with attracting fans.
However i do agree with previous posters on premiership etc. The whole premiership/ skysports thing is a bit soulless for me, I can never understand peoples lives revolving around Liverpool or United. But each to their own I suppose.
( should really start a new thread on this whole topic!)

jbyrne
07/04/2006, 4:42 PM
Are you going, JB?
Not sure what my plans are yet.
Still owe you a pint for that video.
Memory like and elephant, me! ;)

too right i'm going. booked it 5 mins after the fixture was announced!
you'll have to remind me... what video??:confused:

The Green Hen
07/04/2006, 5:26 PM
Just recieved this PM from Dillo, it explains alot of the sh1t he's talkin

Actually it is personal. FACT.

This is the word of the Hen. Amen.

Forever Dreamin
08/04/2006, 4:26 PM
Basle Mark 1 was the only game i can remember where we did not get a large percentage of "home tickets" Paris, Giants Stadium etc come to mind. Id say we will outumber home supporters at all our games bar the Germans. Guaranteed to in Cyprus and San Marino, likley to in Czexch and Slovakia wherever they play the matches and if Wales are out of contention and we can qualify expect 30-40K to travel to that one.

michaelguineys
09/04/2006, 8:38 PM

Really really really ****ed off with that comment. So fcukin ignorant, hate that shít