PDA

View Full Version : Denis Donaldson shot dead

liam88
04/04/2006, 6:45 PM
They just found his body in Donegal.....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4877516.stm

Plastic Paddy
04/04/2006, 6:47 PM
It was only a matter of time IMO, whether he were to do it himself or others were to do it for him. Another needless death.

:ball: PP

John83
04/04/2006, 6:49 PM
It was only a matter of time IMO, whether he were to do it himself or others were to do it for him. Another needless death.

:ball: PP
Was it? I thought they'd given up that line of argument. Or is it a case of no guns except in internal disputes?

Risteard
04/04/2006, 10:31 PM
Jayz, he looks worse for wear in that photo, doesn't he?
What the feck was he doing living in Donegal though?
Surely, British intelligence at least owed him a new identity as Mr.Botstumbad Cisse in the Dominican Republic or something.
Very silly on his part but his coffin was probably nailed by the Sunday World.

Speranza
04/04/2006, 10:40 PM
When have Brit spooks ever been accomodating to their ex-employees. IMO it was them who killed Donaldson, it follows the securocratic actions of the Northern Ireland Office and Special branch in general and shuts him up. I would be shedding any tears at his actual passing but it was a master stroke by rogue elements in blackening the republican cause even further.

Block G Raptor
05/04/2006, 1:25 PM
Speranza I was begining to think I was paranoid for thinking the very same thing it's the brittish that have most to gain from his silence. they would be the last ones to want him to go public, the opportunity was there to disrupt the peace process and discredit the republican movement,their incursions into the republic are well documented over many years. what has republicanism got to gain by killing him only blood lust revenge. whole thing stinks of MI6 IMO

Ash
05/04/2006, 1:54 PM
Donaldson Survivor of the Year award a black twist
By Paul O'Brien, Political Reporter
The Irish Examiner 05/04/06

IT was a macabre twist worthy of a crime novel - at precisely the same time news broke of Denis Donaldson's murder last night, a news magazine was about to announce him winner of its Survivor of the Year award. Several weeks ago, Magill magazine assembled political journalists - including this reporter - to vote on awards including Politician of the Year, Minister of the Year, Gaffe of the Year and Survivor of the Year.

Full piece here

http://www.campus.ie/user?cmd=item-detail&itemid=100001

pete
05/04/2006, 1:59 PM
...what has republicanism got to gain by killing him only blood lust revenge...

Its not like the paramilitaries to into blood lust & revenge is it...

MI5 would probably do it in their own juristiction so could control more..

Block G Raptor
05/04/2006, 2:51 PM
I think you'll find that county Donegal in the republic of Ireland is not the jurisdiction of MI5. or has someone Re-Drawn the border without telling me

pete
05/04/2006, 5:06 PM
I think you'll find that county Donegal in the republic of Ireland is not the jurisdiction of MI5. or has someone Re-Drawn the border without telling me

Thats why I don't think it was MI5...

John83
05/04/2006, 5:18 PM
Thats why I don't think it was MI5...
I think he means that MI5 (counterintelligence, etc) don't deal outside of the UK. That's MI6 (secret service).

Speranza
05/04/2006, 6:32 PM
MI5 have always dealt with the six counties and they certainly wouldn't lose any sleep about crossing the border.

Pete, you have your typical PD thinking cap on for this one. It would indeed be like paramilitaries to go after "blood lust and revenge" but after the political capital they have invested in the peace process? Don't think so.

Roverstillidie
05/04/2006, 7:14 PM
i think the very fact it was a shotgun and hatchet effort probably means it was a disgruntled amateur rather than the likes of the south armagh brigade

Speranza
05/04/2006, 7:55 PM
If it was spooks would they want it to look clinical and professional? They would want to make it look like an amateur to deflect suspicion

pete
06/04/2006, 10:16 AM
It would indeed be like paramilitaries to go after "blood lust and revenge" but after the political capital they have invested in the peace process? Don't think so.

I hasn't stopped them contonue to involve themselves in other illegal activities. BTW someone has to play devils advocate here... ;)

Speranza
06/04/2006, 11:42 AM
I'm not Sinn Fein fan but your vague accusations need to be questioned. The last IMC report noted that the Provisional movement had ceased it's involvement in these illegal activities.

We have seen through the Donaldson affair that elements of the British establishment are working against any possible agreement. In light of that why should we believe anything that originates in the Northern Ireland office, the shady world of the PSNI or the force within a force - Special Branch?

superfrank
07/04/2006, 2:35 PM
I thought it was disgraceful that the tabloid, I can't remember which one, had hunted him down and then spread his whereabouts all over the national press. I hope they feel guilty about this.

Roverstillidie
07/04/2006, 9:17 PM
I thought it was disgraceful that the tabloid, I can't remember which one, had hunted him down and then spread his whereabouts all over the national press. I hope they feel guilty about this.

his whereabouts were common knowledge long before the article, hence the journos knew where to find him

pete
08/04/2006, 1:18 AM
I doubt anyone losing sleep over his death...

Block G Raptor
08/04/2006, 11:54 AM
I doubt anyone losing sleep over his death...
Except maybe his family......no doubt he was a trecherous B@zturd but he did have a wife and kids

Speranza
08/04/2006, 1:34 PM
As did the people who were put inside because of his touting. I just can't understand how a man could see the suffering, determination and heroism of the Hunger Strikers at first hand and then turn supergrass. Words fail me...

Block G Raptor
09/04/2006, 3:57 PM
I'd say a lot of money changed hands or perhaps some blackmail

el punter
09/04/2006, 5:39 PM
It was mentioned in Saturday's Irish times that Donaldson was a ladies man and a story exists that he was found with a leading IRA man's wife by the RUC...this strengthens the blackmail case. Although I appreciate it is speculative.