PDA

View Full Version : Mons News 4th April 2006

Magicme
04/04/2006, 4:44 PM
PLAYERS VIEW By David Lee
Sunday's game was a very important one for the team, after losing away to Limerick the previous week, it was vital that we won to keep in touch with the pack. We started off very well and looked much brighter and sharper than Cobh. Brian Gannon was giving their left full a headache all afternoon, and it was his good work which led to our 1st goal. He got the ball on the right wing drifted it across the park and teed me up with a perfect ball to make it one nil just before half time.

The 2nd half started off much the same Brian Gannon again skinned their left full and drilled a ball across the box for Robbie Smith to convert. A dodgy penalty was awarded moments later against us and Cobh scored to make it 2-1. Tthat was a nervous period for the side and we showed good character and maturity to weather that storm. Barry Burke’s introduction helped a lot with leadership to a young backline. We then started to really dominate Cobh and the only threat they caused was from set pieces which Robbie Horgan dealt well with all day. With about 10 minutes remaining Robbie Smith made a great run into their box and unselfishly squared the ball to me to finish from close range. It was great to get the 1st win of the season and hopefully we can build on our good start. I was delighted for Robbie Smith to get his 1st goal for the club as he's been unlucky not to score in previous games, and that goal will give him great confidence. On a personal level it was great to get my 1st start since returning from injury and the goals were an added bonus.

WHEELO ON TOUR
Monaghan United’s Paul Whelan has recently returned from a trip with The Irish Colleges team to America. Here is a report from Paul on how he got on:

“The squad departed for America on the Wednesday on the 22nd of March from the Skylon Hotel Dublin. We flew to Amsterdam, Memphis and on to Ranleigh Durnam. Our
first match was against Wilmington Hammerheads at legion stadium, the
game ended 1-1 and I had to come off in the last 5 minutes due to an knee injury.

The next match was against UNCW(University North Carolina Wilmington) and I was forced to sit the match out due to the medial ligament problem, however the team drew again 1-1. Our final match on Tuesday 28th was against the University of Chapel Hill which I played in and this game also finished 1-1.

All three games were against much bigger opposition, however we played
very well and it was unfortunate we didn’t have more time together. I really enjoyed the experience of working under manager Liam Murphy and his team of personal. I felt lucky to have been able to take part in this trip.”

SUMMER CAMP 2006
Monaghan United FC will be running their annual Summer Fun Soccer Camp starting on 3rd July to the 7th July at Century Homes Park and Astro Park. The summer camp is an important part of Monaghan United’s annual fundraising to provide great footballing facilities for everyone in the County. We would ask that all parents whose children play football at Monaghan United send their children to this camp to help ensure that your child has football in the future years.

CAR BOOT SALE
Don’t forget that Monaghan United FC now hold a monthly Car Boot Sale. The next sale takes place at Century Homes Park on Sunday 7th May from 10am. The cost of entering a Car is a measly €10 and a Van a pathetic €15. Come along and sell everything from books to baths! Get there early so you don’t miss the bargains.

WEBSITE
Wondering where you can find out all you need to know about Monaghan United FC? Want to keep up to date on the latest news and Schoolboy Match Reports? www.monaghanunited.ie is the place to go. Recently revamped with added features and easier access, Monaghan United FC are proud to have such an informative and comprehensive website.

Now there is even more to see with the new Women’s football section and the recent addition of an Online Shop for all your Monaghan United Merchandise.

So visit www.monaghanunited.ie and make sure you are kept in the picture.

GREG TURLEY SUITE AND BAGSTER LOUNGE
Having a party? Need somewhere for a meeting or conference? Monaghan United have the facilities you need. The Greg Turley Suite is perfect for meetings or conferences and when combined with the Bagster Lounge it provides the ideal setting for parties. The new Patio area with outside tables and bar-be-queing facilities adds another alternative to this versatile venue. Also remember the Bagster Lounge is open Monday to Sunday for a quiet drink or to watch sports on our big screen T.V.s. For further information and bookings contact Martin Kelly at 086 8937562.