PDA

View Full Version : Mayo Football- 2006

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

FahyForever
04/04/2006, 3:24 PM
Well, I see that gotribe has managed to get people so worked up the Mayo Junior football thread has been closed. Fair play to all involved in that. Also, according to 12th man, the constant bickering between people on the forum (Ring a bell Renovator and the conspicuous-by-his-absence, Manfred?) had threatened this for ages anyway.

So hopefully we will be allowed to carry on here, provided we can keep it to football rather than handbags. It would be good to see people commenting on teams, line-ups, form, tactics, fixtures, etc, rather than ranting on aimlessly. As well, though it's not a huge issue, could we start to try to write in a way that is decipherable? A few of the lads on the last thread could have english as anything up to their fourth language by the way they used syntax and spelling. Keep it readable!

Anyone know the final word on Celtic v Clonmel? Is it this weekend? Anybody got other thoughts on the coming weeks matches?

juan pablo
04/04/2006, 3:35 PM
why is the mayo thread closed, what have i missed??

anyways, its good to see both the super league and premier division so close in the early stages of the season. A few games called off last weekend due to weather, summer time is kicking in so evening getting longer,Thank God,

I can see CBar Cel B being challenged for their title this year,Achill,Swinford are up their, WPort B are also going well after beating Brobe 5-4 which as the scoreline suggests a Goalfest.

Sinabhuil-How you finding the league so far, where would you put your money on the division in terms of winning it??

the 12 th man
04/04/2006, 4:08 PM

Not much.
The other Mayo thread had been deteriorating because of a couple of different things.Primarily because of People acting the thick deliberately and secondly the thread was suffering because it was trying to be "all things to all people" and all aspects of Mayo soccer were being discussed in the one thread.

There are 3 other Mayo thread going at the moment (in addition to this one) and I think it would help everybody here if People would hit the "new thread" button occasionally.

sinabhuil
04/04/2006, 4:25 PM

anyways, its good to see both the super league and premier division so close in the early stages of the season. A few games called off last weekend due to weather, summer time is kicking in so evening getting longer,Thank God,

I can see CBar Cel B being challenged for their title this year,Achill,Swinford are up their, WPort B are also going well after beating Brobe 5-4 which as the scoreline suggests a Goalfest.

Sinabhuil-How you finding the league so far, where would you put your money on the division in terms of winning it??

Dont know enough yet. Some surprising results though. I will go to Urlaur game on Sunday before trip to Swinford. Mod was right. Some awful non soccer rubbish on the other thread.

Closed Account
04/04/2006, 4:36 PM
We(the Boro) should be in the shakeup for 2B honours this season, have made some shrewd additions to the team since last season. Bluebombers looked a bit woeful, Castlebar town won't last the pace, ballyglass and urlaur look to be the two favourites. What did you make of Urlaur, were they deserving of 7-2 or were ye just really naive.

The Don
04/04/2006, 4:45 PM
What new signings did ye make Joe.

sinabhuil
04/04/2006, 4:46 PM
We were definitely a little naive. Having said that Urlaur looked pretty good. Final result a combination of Urlaur being better, stupid mistakes and naiveity. I also think that they were missing a few players. I feel they will be there at the final shakeup. We have played them, B'Robe and C'Bar. Urlaur were the best. However with a few new players all teams can change a lot.
We played better against B'Robe in the cup match. No goals conceded in full or extra time. Some chances to score not taken - good robe keeper.

Closed Account
04/04/2006, 4:51 PM
Dave Roughneen regraded from A to B, best player in Snugboro in my opinion. Should have a new keeper soon enough, the A team signed an ex Finn Harps keeper, working as a Garda in castlebar, so Ronan Collins should step down to B. Not much other than that to be honest, was kind of exaggerating to lay down a psychological marker in the mindset of the Cross fella. Ballina banker? Come on the Boro.

The Don
04/04/2006, 4:55 PM
Cant understand Dave not making first team. I not exactly running away with the predictions league either!.

Closed Account
04/04/2006, 5:02 PM
So how are the Heane B shaking up this year, is Mad Mick working his miracles? Should be an easy 3 points against Hollister.

The Don
04/04/2006, 5:40 PM
should be easy and Ballyheane. Where have I heard this so many times before, only for it all to go balls up.

Mad Moose
04/04/2006, 6:28 PM
Dave Roughneen regraded from A to B, best player in Snugboro in my opinion. Should have a new keeper soon enough, the A team signed an ex Finn Harps keeper, working as a Garda in castlebar, so Ronan Collins should step down to B.

Joe who is the keeper signed?. Before the thread was closed, which was ridiculous and I'm not sure what was said but it descended to tat, there was a mention to a goalfest between Snugboro and Ballyvary. There's certain truth in it but it was 1-1 at half time and while the wind was strong it seemed to die down toward the end of the first half only to pick up considerably.I had windburn for a couple of days after and while Snugboro were good the score doesnt reflect the wind etc.

Brendan

Closed Account
04/04/2006, 6:38 PM
Haven't learned the keepers name yet, Michael something. From Donegal. There wasn't that much in the Snugboro-Ballyvary game, wind was a big factor, but the difference was Snugboro used it better. Literally using it to blow the ball over the line at times. A.Verity looks like a good player.

Mad Moose
04/04/2006, 6:46 PM
Haven't learned the keepers name yet, Michael something. From Donegal. There wasn't that much in the Snugboro-Ballyvary game, wind was a big factor, but the difference was Snugboro used it better. Literally using it to blow the ball over the line at times. A.Verity looks like a good player.

Hardly Michael Boyle, he's just after his leaving.Nah cant be.Mind I wouldn't shout too loudly about acquiring a former Finn Harps keeper. So long as your sure you haven't acquired Damian Bradley or Alan Young but your ok I know youse havent.Anyhow your keeper (a brother to two of our players) was decent sunday. Alan is a great player, some pace. Make yourself known to me Sunday Joe, we're there again for the league.

Brendan

Mad Moose
05/04/2006, 9:09 AM
Alan is a great player, some pace.

Its not Alan and i keep thinking Alan.Its Andy. He stuck two away.

Brendan

renovater
05/04/2006, 10:26 PM
We were definitely a little naive. Having said that Urlaur looked pretty good. Final result a combination of Urlaur being better, stupid mistakes and naiveity. I also think that they were missing a few players. I feel they will be there at the final shakeup. We have played them, B'Robe and C'Bar. Urlaur were the best. However with a few new players all teams can change a lot.
We played better against B'Robe in the cup match. No goals conceded in full or extra time. Some chances to score not taken - good robe keeper.
I am following your progress big improvement on your first day out
one can only get better.
Remember 1 thing football isn't always played at the feet remember the brain plays the bigest part
your first win is only around the corner keep the fate.

sinabhuil
07/04/2006, 4:48 PM
Have all the computers in Mayo been shut down. Why is the forum so quite?

renovater
09/04/2006, 11:10 PM
Have all the computers in Mayo been shut down. Why is the forum so quite?
may have caught bird flu

highlander
10/04/2006, 9:06 PM
pixiehead or should i say MARK...you said a few things about mick wallace in one of your previous posts that were well out of order.i heard he wanted to speak to you after snugboro game on sunday but missed you,im sure hes looking forward to talking to you soon...might see you for a pint in buckos at the weekend,good luck with the pub ?

pixiehead
10/04/2006, 11:56 PM
pixiehead or should i say MARK...you said a few things about mick wallace in one of your previous posts that were well out of order.i heard he wanted to speak to you after snugboro game on sunday but missed you,im sure hes looking forward to talking to you soon...might see you for a pint in buckos at the weekend,good luck with the pub ?

My comments where in explanation to others users as to why 2 Snugboro A players where not playing for the first team.I felt it approprate to give my opinion on the matter to explain to the best of my knowledge why they where not. The comments are not that of a Snugboro fc member and therefore may not have been intirely correct. If any Offence has been caused to either player Mick Wallace or David roughneen i appologize. However even if my information was nothing more than hear say i presumed the forum was for opinions and that is what i was stating. Both the club and players are of the highest calabire and the comments have been retracted. My information may have been maligned but i belive the forum should still be open to outside opinion . Again apologiges for the misinformation and free drink for anyone who took offence;)

The Don
11/04/2006, 9:00 AM
Has anyone got the draw for AIB cup made last night.

Mad Moose
11/04/2006, 9:35 AM
for a pint in buckos at the weekend

Is it still going or changing hands again. Cheap advertising. Shameless.

Good win for the Bombers 'B' against Ballyglass 'B' at the weekend. 2-0. Up and running.

Brendan

sinabhuil
11/04/2006, 11:41 AM
Is it still going or changing hands again. Cheap advertising. Shameless.

Good win for the Bombers 'B' against Ballyglass 'B' at the weekend. 2-0. Up and running.

Brendan

Unreal result. Where did this come from. Tell us more.

Mad Moose
11/04/2006, 12:39 PM
Nothing unreal at all in that result. Long overdue performance. I never so much as warmed up and left content on not having got off the bench. The lads were fantastic and it was a one sided game throughout. We started brightly and should have been at least two up at half time. We went in one up having deservedly won a penalty which was well dispatched. The game continued in the same way in the 2nd half and the second goal was deserved. Some fantastic performances individually and as a team particularly at centre back and the middle of the park.

Brendan

sinabhuil
11/04/2006, 3:03 PM
Nothing unreal at all in that result. Long overdue performance. I never so much as warmed up and left content on not having got off the bench. The lads were fantastic and it was a one sided game throughout. We started brightly and should have been at least two up at half time. We went in one up having deservedly won a penalty which was well dispatched. The game continued in the same way in the 2nd half and the second goal was deserved. Some fantastic performances individually and as a team particularly at centre back and the middle of the park.

Brendan

Did not mean to be anyway disrespectful. Just going on prior seasons and this years earlier results it was a strange scoreline. Bombers have come a long way since the early days in Balla and in McKeon's field. Do they represent the real soccer spirit in Mayo? I remember playing in McKeons field, doing a sliding tackle on the wing and landing up in a stream. REAL FOOTBALL.

Mad Moose
11/04/2006, 7:07 PM
Did not mean to be anyway disrespectful. Just going on prior seasons and this years earlier results it was a strange scoreline. Bombers have come a long way since the early days in Balla and in McKeon's field. Do they represent the real soccer spirit in Mayo? I remember playing in McKeons field, doing a sliding tackle on the wing and landing up in a stream. REAL FOOTBALL.

Your grand, no disrespect shown whatsoever or taken. Certainly have moved a long way. The Mayo Senior Team use the facilities there now every week. We've all played on fields like that. Its a good club with good people involved and I was made welcome and delighted to be back home again. I cant commend those involved enough and long may it continue.Dont be thinking our insulting me or the club. We dont do that in Mayo. If right was right I would be with Swinford but as Swinford fc well knows I never quite had the touch!!!

Brendan

renovater
11/04/2006, 10:37 PM
My comments where in explanation to others users as to why 2 Snugboro A players where not playing for the first team.I felt it approprate to give my opinion on the matter to explain to the best of my knowledge why they where not. The comments are not that of a Snugboro fc member and therefore may not have been intirely correct. If any Offence has been caused to either player Mick Wallace or David roughneen i appologize. However even if my information was nothing more than hear say i presumed the forum was for opinions and that is what i was stating. Both the club and players are of the highest calabire and the comments have been retracted. My information may have been maligned but i belive the forum should still be open to outside opinion . Again apologiges for the misinformation and free drink for anyone who took offence;)
I dont no if you had seen my comments before been removed to rubish why I :mad: dont no but they were in order, glad you have appologised about the players.
however it does not go far enough I need to here you retract the comments towards Mr P.McHale and K murphy as well, because what you had said is unfounded.

pixiehead
11/04/2006, 11:46 PM
:(
I dont no if you had seen my comments before been removed to rubish why I dont no but they were in order, glad you have appologised about the players.
however it does not go far enough I need to here you retract the comments towards Mr P.McHale and K murphy as well, because what you had said is unfounded.

I dont see that i have caused any offence to Murphy or Mchale i simply said that they had not seen eye to eye with certain players:confused: . It happens at all clubs and i was just explaining that there was a disagre ement. I did not go in to detail as to why the diagreement happened but obviously people are unhappy with names being mentioned on this forum. Maybe it is not suitable to name individuals so if it makes any difference i apologize again but as i said i didnt say what was wrong or who was right or wrong. I just explained the suituation but ill be sure to keep my trap shut in future if its going to causa all this hassle:confused:

the 12 th man
12/04/2006, 8:37 AM
renovater:You've got your apology now drop it.

sinabhuil
14/04/2006, 2:35 PM
Where can I find the fixtures for the AIB cup. I need the times of the games as well.

Forum is very quite. I see a lot of people viewing but nobody is posting.

renovater
14/04/2006, 4:46 PM
renovater:You've got your apology now drop it.
THANKS JUST LIKE YOU EVERYTHING IN ORDER.
APOLOGY ACEPTED.

Thunderblaster
16/04/2006, 11:26 AM
Any truth in a rumour that there is a big American billionaire with Mayo connections ready to invest in a prominent Mayo League club to bring them up to Eircom League football and challenge for European honours? If so, it would be a great move for football in Mayo. We will have the Irish Abramovich then!!:D :p

renovater
17/04/2006, 1:29 PM
Any truth in a rumour that there is a big American billionaire with Mayo connections ready to invest in a prominent Mayo League club to bring them up to Eircom League football and challenge for European honours? If so, it would be a great move for football in Mayo. We will have the Irish Abramovich then!!:D :p
he been here since last season, how do think celtic could afford all those players

swinfordfc
17/04/2006, 7:08 PM
Good start to the Mayo League season tight in the super league and the premier division - only 3 points separated the top 9 teams in a 10 team division. it's great to see erris and ballyheane leading out the super league with ballina just behind- i know celtic have games in hand but that might mean they playing 2 games in a week to catch up over the summer, only time will tell manulla could be in abit of trouble and maybe s+f united too. crossmolina been unluckly in some of they games up to now while ballyglass in my opinion are doomed.

Bangor i think will win the division 1 title good young side

short_frank
19/04/2006, 4:54 AM
Can anyone give me directions to Achill's pitch. I am planning first trip there this weekend and I am lost when I cross the bridge.:confused:

Can anyone see any shocks in this weekends AIB cup fixtures.

renovater
21/04/2006, 8:28 PM
its funny you say swinford that bangor hibs might win something this year since they never won anything up to now.always just kept there head above water.
has there registra anythink to do with the out come.:D :

renovater
23/04/2006, 6:44 PM
"Well done to Castlebar Celtic"
they surly now go into local history book for having beaten fairview from Dublin and now go into the open draw of the F.A.I. Senior Cup.
Hope to draw one of the big Eircom Clubs and play at home under there new flood lights surly now Gavin and company will be looking forward to the next level,One would hope if they are sucessful they may consider going into the Eircom League next season.
I can only think what is running through Athenry what are we up against.
Should Celtic pull of the Junior cup they must consider there next option.
because what is there to play for!
This must also begood for Mayo Clubs if a mayo club was to win the F.A.I. CUP two years in a row. Must also say that the standard of junior foot has improved and can compete with the best thats around. Once again well done!
The Renovater.

Fair Play
23/04/2006, 11:01 PM
"Well done to Castlebar Celtic"
they surly now go into local history book for having beaten fairview from Dublin and now go into the open draw of the F.A.I. Senior Cup.
Hope to draw one of the big Eircom Clubs and play at home under there new flood lights surly now Gavin and company will be looking forward to the next level,One would hope if they are sucessful they may consider going into the Eircom League next season.
I can only think what is running through Athenry what are we up against.
Should Celtic pull of the Junior cup they must consider there next option.
because what is there to play for!
This must also begood for Mayo Clubs if a mayo club was to win the F.A.I. CUP two years in a row. Must also say that the standard of junior foot has improved and can compete with the best thats around. Once again well done!
The Renovater.
Yes - well done to Celtic. It was a great result, and well done to The Renovater. It was his first positive comment in 6 months.

swinfordfc
24/04/2006, 8:51 AM
its funny you say swinford that bangor hibs might win something this year since they never won anything up to now.always just kept there head above water.
has there registra anythink to do with the out come.:D :

No just have you seen they under 18 side of 2005 renovater, thats what i'm basing my information on!!!! :rolleyes:

swinfordfc
24/04/2006, 8:53 AM
Yes Congrats to Celtic in wining yestarday but slow down, they won no national honours just yet!!!!

Ron Bergundy
25/04/2006, 6:06 PM
see the management of the irish amateur team are picking their squad for the upcoming friendlies against Northern Ireland and Spain,Will Castlebar celtic due to their junior cup run have any representatives???Joe Lawless(Westport)???anyone know the next round fixtures for the A.I.B Cup

Thunderblaster
26/04/2006, 1:00 AM
Congrats to Celtic. They have proven to be the flagbearers of Mayo football over the last three months.

Mad Moose
26/04/2006, 4:18 PM
anyone know the next round fixtures for the A.I.B Cup

Wasnt around at the weekend so I haven't seen the results from round 1 if anyone know's. Did Swinford beat Ballina Town, did Fahy upset Castlebar Celtic and more importantly did BBB 'A's beat Crossmolina and BBB 'B's beat Hollister.I'm taking the silence from our club as not been a great sign but I may be wrong. Haven't had a chance to see the Western yet.

Brendan

swinfordfc
26/04/2006, 5:35 PM
Wasnt around at the weekend so I haven't seen the results from round 1 if anyone know's. Did Swinford beat Ballina Town, did Fahy upset Castlebar Celtic and more importantly did BBB 'A's beat Crossmolina and BBB 'B's beat Hollister.I'm taking the silence from our club as not been a great sign but I may be wrong. Haven't had a chance to see the Western yet.

Brendan

Swinford lost 3-0 to Ballina

FahyForever
26/04/2006, 6:08 PM

Brendan

Fahy V Castlebar was cancelled because they were busy hammering a Leinster Senior league side. Ominous enough for us. It will be good old craic anyway!

renovater
26/04/2006, 10:15 PM
No just have you seen they under 18 side of 2005 renovater, thats what i'm basing my information on!!!! :rolleyes:
No to honest i have'nt but Iwill take your word on it.
though I no bangor have a habbit of trying to use there young players at junior level all the time.the only concern I would have is do they pick up bad habbits and may be involve them to soon rather than leave them playing at there youth level.
but certainly Iwill keep an eye out for them this year.:)

renovater
26/04/2006, 10:24 PM
Good to see the town of Castlebar gearing up for the match on Sunday they are now beginning to put out the green white flags of Celtic, lets hope the old guard could put there indifferants aside and make it a big day out just like a county final day.
Iwas surprize to see the F.AI. put up the entry fee from €5 to €10 on the day
lets hope children and OAP ARE LET IN FREE.
Milebush should look at its best, and lets feel anthenry are warmly welcome to Castlebar.

Thunderblaster
27/04/2006, 12:43 AM
Castlebar Celtic U.18s are playing Sligo Rovers in the Connacht Cup on Saturday, so the forumites must wish the two Castlebar teams the best of luck. Also good luck to Kiltimagh/Knock United in the SFAI Goodson Cup.

pixiehead
27/04/2006, 2:16 AM
I dont feel there is any buzz around Castlebar at the moment and i doubt there will be the same as was in westport for the following reasons
1. They havent reached the final yet
2. Some people have lost interest because it is not a full local team
3. Unlike westport there is other town sides who are rivals with Celtic, Town, Boro, Ballyheane, Manulla Ect and they have a loyal following

As for the Eircom league rumour ive been a league of ireland fan for many years and you need quite a large following to survive the money matters. Anyone remember St.Francis or Home farm??? and they where in Dublin with a larger catchment area!!!!! They also require a first division UEFA liecence and i doubt Celtic park is up to that standard. Some well established club have barley got away with it. Celtic would need a minimum of 600 people at every home game, Is all this realistic???:confused:

Mad Moose
27/04/2006, 9:34 AM
As for the Eircom league rumour ive been a league of ireland fan for many years and you need quite a large following to survive the money matters. Anyone remember St.Francis or Home farm??? and they where in Dublin with a larger catchment area!!!!! :

You make valid points there. Having said that take a look at Finn Harps, Gavin Dykes might remember them, the crowds are not turning up at Finn Park.There are good reasons for this. Finn Harps see themselves as been the cream of football in Donegal and ask any Donegal League or USL side and they'll confirm that this is how Harps view themselves. Out of necessity the club has needed to forge links with the intermediate and junior leagues to survive. In relation to Harps we are talking survival here. The club is not well respected and this is reflected in support.There is a club with the highest wage level in the Eircom league First Division and its down there near the basement.

They also require a first division UEFA liecence and i doubt Celtic park is up to that standard. Some well established club have barley got away with it. Celtic would need a minimum of 600 people at every home game, Is all this realistic???:confused:

Quite possibly it is, have you seen the standard of Finn Park? A club that generated and squandered an awful lot of money in its heyday. I think the crowd at a recent home game was 450!!!! As well as myself I talk to so many people who walked away from Finn Park. They have managed to get away with licensing by forging links with better run clubs i.e Finn Valley ladies as well as using training facilities at Ballyare in Letterkenny.

Without the support of these clubs in terms of Ladies football, training facilities and youth structures, the club would not be competing in the League of Ireland.

Brendan