PDA

View Full Version : Mayo Football- 2006

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

gnasher
12/05/2006, 12:53 PM
Church Gate Collections, Lotto, Direct Debits, Standing Orders, Cake Sales, Talent Competitions, Bonny Baby Contests, Dog Shows, Raffle-tastic raffles, Busking, Flag Days, Council Tax, Gate Receipts, Ten cent on the half-litre;

Shall I continue?

If he's worth it, we'll find a way.

mgam1
13/05/2006, 9:05 AM
andy won't sign for celtic,he is based in dublin. he is a top player and probably sign for a club in dublin

mgam1
13/05/2006, 9:11 AM
can someone tell me where the two keepers that played for Celtic B last season are now,moore and reilly - have they left the club? we need a keeper!! DIVISION ONE promotion chasers:eek:

renovater
14/05/2006, 4:34 PM
Whatever money it is they are paying him, i bet westport dont have those resources, can anyone confirm this?
Finance Comittee was set up and have found the way to pay,
But every thing will be in order with the laws of the state.

Thunderblaster
14/05/2006, 8:20 PM
I heard on the grapevine that Manulla midfielder and former Urlar Utd and Knock United star Des Campbell has signed for Castlebar Celtic.

Local scout
15/05/2006, 7:31 AM
Finance Comittee was set up and have found the way to pay,
But every thing will be in order with the laws of the state.

word is 45 local businessess have been asked to cough up €10 each to pay for him. if they have the resources thats a great way of showing it.

The Don
15/05/2006, 8:56 AM
I heard on the grapevine that Manulla midfielder and former Urlar Utd and Knock United star Des Campbell has signed for Castlebar Celtic.

Also heard the rat had jumped ship again. As for star ?????

Mad Moose
15/05/2006, 9:37 AM
So can we assume that the names mentioned i.e Campbell, Neary, Gaughan and Fitzpatrick have signed for Castlebar Celtic. If this trend is to continue it doesn't spell good fortune for Mayo football and wer talking a monopoly on Mayo football for some time to come.Have Westport Utd reacted to this in signings to keep pace with C'bar Celtic.

Any results from the weekend particularly in Division One. BBB's got their first win of the season and their fourth point of the season with a win in Blacksod yesterday.

Brendan

FahyForever
15/05/2006, 12:15 PM
Connacht Cup Semi-Final
Ballinasloe Tn -P- Castlebar Cel 2pm

Elverys Sports Super League Round 6
Ballina Town 5-1 Manulla 2.30
Ballyglass 0-3 Westport Utd 2.30
Snugboro Utd 0-1 Erris Utd 2.30
Straide 0-3 Crossmolina 2.30

Welcome Inn Hotel Premier Div Round 6
Achill Rovers 4-3 Swinford 12.00
Fahy Rovers 0-0 Claremorris 12.00
Glenhest Rvs 3-1 Killala 12.00
Westport Utd B 5-2 Conn Rangers 12.00

WELCOME INN HOTEL, NEWANTRIM ST
CASTLEBAR O94-22288 FAX 094-21766

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAYO ASSOCIATION 2/2
FOOTBALL LEAGUE
----------------

SUNDAY MAY 14

Welcome Inn Hotel Div 1 Round 5 12.00
Bangor Hibs 2-0 Kiltimagh/Knock U
Charlestown At 3-1 acken Utd0
Inver Utd -P- Manulla B
Kilmore 1-2 Ballyvary 2.30
Mulranny Utd 3-3 Partry Athletic

Welcome Inn Hotel Div 2A Rnd 4 12.00
Ballyheane B -A- Ballinrobe Town
Moy Villa 5-0 Castlebar Celtic C
Straide B 1-2 Hollister
Valley Rovers 1-1 Clew Bay Utd

Mad Moose
15/05/2006, 1:12 PM
Good man P. ;)

Sheds some light. Thanks for the weekend results.

B

mossy
15/05/2006, 3:23 PM
All hoping on board the good ship Celtic, Cant help feeling sorry for Straide after losing such a fine player, Manulla on the other hand did not develop Campbell so they can't cry too much !!!
Now with at least 3 (Outside ) Managers being paid and some players as well the question is where it will end. Can Celtic keep paying this money? What will be left when Dykes walks ? I presume the Port have some money from last Year so I presume that they are ok. The Heane need to find funds too
And perhaps Manulla will go down the same route - Mind boggling indeed
Another great win for Crossmolina. Looks like 2 from Straide, Manulla and the Glass. A bit early yet maybe bit these Three look in trouble.

Mad Moose
15/05/2006, 3:48 PM
Cant help feeling sorry for Straide after losing such a fine player.

Did Straide and Foxford not lose two players to Castlebar Celtic. In anycase losing a player like Neary will be sorely felt.

Now with at least 3 (Outside ) Managers being paid and some players as well the question is where it will end. Can Celtic keep paying this money? What will be left when Dykes walks ? I presume the Port have some money from last Year so I presume that they are ok. The Heane need to find funds too
And perhaps Manulla will go down the same route - Mind boggling indeed
Another great win for Crossmolina. Looks like 2 from Straide, Manulla and the Glass. A bit early yet maybe bit these Three look in trouble.

The situation is comparable to Shelbourne or Drogheda Utd albeit on a different level.If it works and Castlebar Celtic go from strenght to strenght then this will generate further funds and move themselves further adrift of everyone else. Its a risky business at this level.I feel Dykes has Shamrock Rovers in mind in terms of his team building and i think this is the level he would be hoping he could return to. Who's to say they dont fall at the first hurdle next season and then what. Its going to be all very interesting to see how this pans out and what the consequences of it will be.

Brendan

short_frank
16/05/2006, 4:42 AM
Do the FAI have an official standpoint on managers being paid in Junior football or is it another of those famous grey areas? It seems to me that we are creating a scenario similar to the premier league in England where there will be the 'big' clubs and then the feeder clubs who as soon as they produce a good player they will be raided and will never be able to grow and challenge the established top teams. As evidenced in these forums we tend to concentrate on these leagues and forget about the lower league teams who put in as much effort (sometimes more just to keep afloat) and if the MAFL keeps developing as it is now the situation will just get worse.:mad:
I was at the Partry/Mulranney match at the weekend and the referee was on the point of walking away and refusing to play the match as there was no available changing room in Mulranney (the clubhouse not being finished yet) and the rain was unreal. What is the rule as regards changing rooms in the first division?:confused:
Game was a cracker. We made the mistake of thinking we had it won at 3-0 but fair play to Mulranney they came back to level it and both teams had chances to win. Looks like Charlestown and Bangor Hibs are becoming the teams to catch as I thought they would. As I said before though, don't write off Partry! When we get over our injury crisis (7 first teamers out and counting) we will be a force to be reckoned with again.:D

bigball
16/05/2006, 7:40 AM
At €450 aweek plus expences, i dont know has this been finalised yet.

first of all i don't agree with paying managers at amateur level. secondly if u are going down that road it seems quite alot for someone who has ONE (YES 1) years managerial experience at junior level and in that year he blew a great chance of winning the league when the pressure came on. He never won anything as a manager. did BOC ever even manage underage. i think this is a case of the grass is always greener.

irishyop
16/05/2006, 8:42 AM
can someone tell me where the two keepers that played for Celtic B last season are now,moore and reilly - have they left the club? we need a keeper!! DIVISION ONE promotion chasers:eek:

Moore is gone to Cbar Town, Reilly is gone to America

gnasher
16/05/2006, 11:25 AM
first of all i don't agree with paying managers at amateur level. secondly if u are going down that road it seems quite alot for someone who has ONE (YES 1) years managerial experience at junior level and in that year he blew a great chance of winning the league when the pressure came on. He never won anything as a manager. did BOC ever even manage underage. i think this is a case of the grass is always greener.

I think time will tell. The deal BOC has got is a rolling one and includes a review at the end of the season. This is so as both parties want to see how it will go. As a supporter, I'm for it as it may work out brilliant. On the flip side, if it turns out the other way both can walk away. Who cares about how it's funded although most clubs would be able to fund some sort of expenses through gathering a bunch of lunatic die-hards and taking the price of a few bevvies off them every week. The clubs are saying; Put your money where your mouth has been for the last while and get behind your team!

End of story.

bigball
16/05/2006, 11:44 AM
I think time will tell. The deal BOC has got is a rolling one and includes a review at the end of the season. This is so as both parties want to see how it will go. As a supporter, I'm for it as it may work out brilliant. On the flip side, if it turns out the other way both can walk away. Who cares about how it's funded although most clubs would be able to fund some sort of expenses through gathering a bunch of lunatic die-hards and taking the price of a few bevvies off them every week. The clubs are saying; Put your money where your mouth has been for the last while and get behind your team!

End of story.

its alot of money for someone with no track record. Has BOC got any coaching qualifications? i'm all for paying expenses but not wages. if they want real success invest the cash in the underage structure, training facilities etc. managers will be q ing up for ye (for free). they will see it as a stepping stone to LOI. I'm sure 1 or 2 players mite start wondering if they can get a few quid now (and rightly so if the manager is being paid). This will have a negative effect on other club fundraising as alot of people in westport disagree with this.

If he was to take over as director of football and run the club coaching structures etc on a full time basis (39hrs/week) i would agree with paying him but not for managing the top team!

gazza2
16/05/2006, 1:29 PM
Well lads BOC is gonna be a big loss from my club Corrib Rangers. Yes he has 1 years expierience as a Player Manager but the professional attitude he brought to our club on and off the pitch was unbelievable.

Im hearing all different amounts in Galway and thats between Brendan and the club but he will be great for Westport, not only are ye getting an excellent manager but ye are getting a great player as well who has a wealth of expierience from playing League of ireland.

I for one wish him all the best and he will great for ye

FahyForever
16/05/2006, 2:33 PM
Well lads BOC is gonna be a big loss from my club Corrib Rangers. Yes he has 1 years expierience as a Player Manager but the professional attitude he brought to our club on and off the pitch was unbelievable.

Im hearing all different amounts in Galway and thats between Brendan and the club but he will be great for Westport, not only are ye getting an excellent manager but ye are getting a great player as well who has a wealth of expierience from playing League of ireland.

I for one wish him all the best and he will great for ye

Fair play, that was a nice endorsement for the lad from an ex clubman, he must have had the respect of ye boys anyway. Makes me more confident for Westport hearing it too, I never saw the guy, but worried about his level of coaching experience. He's only 27 too is he not? I presume he will play too.

Hope he has the same affect on Westport as he has had on ye. Good to hear some positivity for a change!

gazza2
16/05/2006, 2:45 PM
Ya hes 27 alright and made his league of ireland debut at 17, He can play centre half or Centre Midfield and was probably our player of the season.

I remember when he took over from us and we were relegation material 3 seasons running and he brought us to the final day of the season with a chance of winning the league.Some achievement i tell ya

He is a very ambitious guy who always wants to better himself in football and he will manage League of ireland someday and he knows the only way he can do that is to make sure Westport are successful on the pitch.

gnasher
16/05/2006, 3:10 PM
Ya hes 27 alright and made his league of ireland debut at 17, He can play centre half or Centre Midfield and was probably our player of the season.

I remember when he took over from us and we were relegation material 3 seasons running and he brought us to the final day of the season with a chance of winning the league.Some achievement i tell ya

He is a very ambitious guy who always wants to better himself in football and he will manage League of ireland someday and he knows the only way he can do that is to make sure Westport are successful on the pitch.

I hope he does too. Fair Play for no hard feelings. The guy has to be given a chance and he can do a lot with his experience. I forgot that he's bound to be a good player as well. It's a bargain at any price.:D

Local scout
16/05/2006, 4:19 PM
I hope he does too. Fair Play for no hard feelings. The guy has to be given a chance and he can do a lot with his experience. I forgot that he's bound to be a good player as well. It's a bargain at any price.:D

wonder will he do a dykes and start bringing in players to improve the squad?

gnasher
16/05/2006, 4:45 PM
wonder will he do a dykes and start bringing in players to improve the squad?

He could do, we're no starngers to that sort of thing. I think he'll assess the squad and see what he needs. Either way he has a team there who won an FAI and everything in Mayo a few times so he's starting off with a pretty successful bunch of lads, the B team has come on a lot too. I think he may stay local, after all, Castlebar are the current 'fashionable' club in Mayo if you want a semi-pro setup and a big head, so they'll probably continue to do a Chelsea and nick all the good players for their reserves in order to corner the market, which will leave us with a bunch of committed local lads playing for themselves and THEIR club.:p

juan pablo
16/05/2006, 8:14 PM
exciting times for westport united, will be a good siper league thie year, gnasher, wherabouts is eoin mchale these days?? is he still playing?? have not seen his name on the westport team sheet in a while??

Thunderblaster
17/05/2006, 1:01 AM
I was reading on one of the local publications that Straide and Foxford United may be sending in a letter of complaint to the MAFL on allegations of "poaching" by Castlebar Celtic. Somehow, I think that Celtic will be in the clear on this one if the matter is being pursued.

gnasher
17/05/2006, 7:09 AM
exciting times for westport united, will be a good siper league thie year, gnasher, wherabouts is eoin mchale these days?? is he still playing?? have not seen his name on the westport team sheet in a while??

He's still playing but he's been injured for a while, medial ligaments I think. Probably won't play this season in the league.

Thunderblaster
18/05/2006, 8:10 AM
FCS Connacht Youth Cup Final at 7:00 tonight in Milebush Park. Castlebar Celtic V Renmore. My money is on Celtic to win.

irishyop
18/05/2006, 2:16 PM
Will that go ahead with the rain and wind that is out there. It is like mid November, I say Mid November ;)

Thunderblaster
18/05/2006, 11:49 PM
Match called off. The weather is great advertisment for summer football!!:rolleyes: I'm sure that people in Iceland are laughing at us!!:eek: :D

OscarBravo
19/05/2006, 9:31 AM
I hear the Heane have signed a couple of Galway players. Gary Fitzgerald, former Galway UNited, and Chris Monaghan. John Clarke must be the link man. They'll be good additions to yer squad Don I'd say. Have you seen them?

The Don
19/05/2006, 2:40 PM
We operate with a small squad,so this should beef the squad up a little. Both players look ok in training but the game against our old buddies Manulla should tell us more.

renovater
21/05/2006, 6:22 PM
I was reading on one of the local publications that Straide and Foxford United may be sending in a letter of complaint to the MAFL on allegations of "poaching" by Castlebar Celtic. Somehow, I think that Celtic will be in the clear on this one if the matter is being pursued.
these are interesting times ahead I think S& F has a case.
If one had read the Mayo News they say he A. Neary was offered the captain arm band if he signs for Celtic that being the case then the player was induce by Celtic.
Unless Celtic ask for a retraction from The Mayo News which I doubt they will get, they wouldn't write it unless they had there facts in order.As for the league they should be asking the M News for further information as to the content of artical.:mad:
But then again you are asking el duce to investagate his club which I doubt he will

Mad Moose
22/05/2006, 5:14 PM
They are indeed interesting times and while Straide and Foxford might be our near neighbours I feel rightly sorry for them and with no disrespect to Castlebar Celtic I hope S+F Utd have a case. Bad enough to lose a quality player and the obvious repercussions thats having on the club but to have him poached by whatever incentive C'bar Celtic have offered. As I've said before I have a feeling Dykes is looking to the immediate future and would like to make an impression on the elite of Irish football by claiming an FAI Cup scalp against Shamrock Rovers raising both his and perhaps the clubs profile and hence the signing of a string of Mayo League's finest players. With such a string of signings I think Castlebar Celtic will hurt themselves more than anyone else with the number of young players who will not get a look in and they'll become a 'paying out' side.

Brendan

swift
22/05/2006, 11:59 PM
I remember about 8 -10 years ago S+F tried to poach Keith Bourke and Fintan McHale to join them in the Connaught Senior League and both players had meetings with club officials in Healys in Pontoon and there were letters in the local papers saying this and that so its not the first time this has happened!!:rolleyes:

The Don
23/05/2006, 8:45 AM
The CSL had a winter season, we play summer soccer ( even though its hard to tell the difference at the moment). I think S&F feel agrieved by the manner in which celtic conducted themselves. By the way please don't be using the eye for an eye line to try and justify the poaching of players!

theboy
23/05/2006, 5:27 PM
Yes your right,(the Don) this whole set up with Celtic is turning out to be a bit of a joke. id love to know how the actual castlebar lads feel about this. they cant be happy not making there own town team because an out sider has changed the whole set up.

swift
23/05/2006, 7:04 PM
The CSL had a winter season, we play summer soccer ( even though its hard to tell the difference at the moment). I think S&F feel agrieved by the manner in which celtic conducted themselves. By the way please don't be using the eye for an eye line to try and justify the poaching of players!
I was'nt using the eye for an eye thing, all I was trying to point out was that this is not the first time this has happened so we should not be suprised by what Celtic are doing. Read the post next time.

irishyop
24/05/2006, 8:49 AM
Next season will the interesting season at Celtic, a lot of A team "born Castlebar men are on the bench, next season I could see them heading to the rivals, it could end up making the likes of Heane, Manualla stronger.
Then if/when Dykes jumps ship it will leave the A team weaker as he will prob bring the "new signings" with him

I see they drew with Derry last nite.

http://www.derrycityfc.net/displaystory.php?storyid=450

Thunderblaster
25/05/2006, 12:13 AM
I see they drew with Derry last nite.

Not hugely significant though with Derry's lineup. It really matters on Sunday afternoon against Shamrock Rovers. This is David V Goliath!!

renovater
26/05/2006, 8:02 PM
just like to add further to the debate that celtic are the club at the moment everyone looks up to, all the big players want some part of the action.
How ever one should wonder where are there youth players going to get a chance to play for them.My thoughts are they will be over looked by dykeys he only interested in winning at all cost and raising his ego.so rather worring who celtic sign next just look and see who of there youth would like a shot at playing at the highest level

Thunderblaster
27/05/2006, 9:07 PM
Dykes fancies his chances against Rovers tomorrow.:eek: :D

Mad Moose
29/05/2006, 8:19 AM
That was the gamble Dykes was taking in bringing in so many players. He was looking to that game to get his name up there again. I mean what is it now for Castlebar Celtic. The Super League and the Junior Cup next season. Having said that with capacity at 2,500 for the game yesterday they have taken in a few pound to pay Dykes wages for a few months. From what I hear the players aren't getting all that much but Dykes is doing alrite for himself.

Brendan

irishyop
29/05/2006, 9:11 AM
Only just over 1500 people were at the match. Celtic "main boys" were very disappointed with the turn out

swinfordfc
29/05/2006, 10:49 AM
Only just over 1500 people were at the match. Celtic "main boys" were very disappointed with the turn out

Didn't think they was 1500 there to be honest, taught 1100 at most !!!!!

Mad Moose
29/05/2006, 12:07 PM
Coming back from our game in Swinford ;) on Saturday evening I heard that tickets were moving quickly from the outlets in Castlebar and there would be a limited number available on Sunday. I didnt go on sunday because I was hoping to walk in on the Sunday. That seems incredible given the word on the tickets but not surprising when it comes to watching an Eircom League Side. While I'm sure the revenue is welcome given the outlay of the club I'm not surprised they are disappointed.

Brendan

Fairkop
29/05/2006, 12:41 PM
That was the gamble Dykes was taking in bringing in so many players. He was looking to that game to get his name up there again. I mean what is it now for Castlebar Celtic. The Super League and the Junior Cup next season. Having said that with capacity at 2,500 for the game yesterday they have taken in a few pound to pay Dykes wages for a few months. From what I hear the players aren't getting all that much but Dykes is doing alrite for himself.

Brendan
Dykes is only using celtic till something bigger comes along.
i`ve seen this situation before when managers come in and
promise everthing until it comes time to talk money and then
you`ll see what will happen.celtic will be left to pick up the pieces.

Mad Moose
29/05/2006, 2:02 PM
Right enough Fairkop. I dont doubt it. He didnt make a great fist at Senior level though. He had to endure a relegation playoff against Finn Harps in his time at Derry City which they survived and look at them under Stephen Kenny. I reckon he'll be waiting a while for the Sligo job aswell. Judging by the wages he's on and the car supplied I still cant see how Castlebar Celtic can sustain it but then again he's done a while there now.

Brendan

swinfordfc
29/05/2006, 2:38 PM
Coming back from our game in Swinford ;) on Saturday evening I heard that tickets were moving quickly from the outlets in Castlebar and there would be a limited number available on Sunday. I didnt go on sunday because I was hoping to walk in on the Sunday. That seems incredible given the word on the tickets but not surprising when it comes to watching an Eircom League Side. While I'm sure the revenue is welcome given the outlay of the club I'm not surprised they are disappointed.

Brendan

You play very well, very skillful on the wing harpbear :D

Fairkop
29/05/2006, 2:39 PM
Right enough Fairkop. I dont doubt it. He didnt make a great fist at Senior level though. He had to endure a relegation playoff against Finn Harps in his time at Derry City which they survived and look at them under Stephen Kenny. I reckon he'll be waiting a while for the Sligo job aswell. Judging by the wages he's on and the car supplied I still cant see how Castlebar Celtic can sustain it but then again he's done a while there now.

Brendan

Managers who take money from junior clubs are always on
the lookout for the next big job.They have no loyalty,
and it only leads to bitterness in clubs.junior teams are
scraping together to fund their teams from lotto and
a huge amount is being lost to people who have no heart
in the club.I wonder if the people who are gathering this
money are happy with what is going on.:ball:

Local scout
29/05/2006, 3:24 PM
How did westport united get on in the league the weekend?