PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk v United

Terry
04/04/2006, 12:35 PM
Here is a game that should be a win no matter what. Dundalk are going through probably the worse patch (form wise) in the clubs history. 3 points here IMO is a must. United to win it 3-0 but where are the goals going to come from I hear you say? Murphy, Harty and Carters magic boots.

corbyeire
04/04/2006, 1:03 PM
maybe staying awake for the last ten minutes of a game would be nice:mad:

gufct
04/04/2006, 1:03 PM
no game that you should win.Too often in the past these are the games that cost us at the end of the seaso,Ive already said the only thing that will defeat us is complacency and we have no god given right to expect to win games we have to make it happen.

We also need to go for the jugular when we get an advantage on a team as we allowed Finn Harps back into the game on friday by playing way to deep.

JW.
04/04/2006, 3:48 PM
Hard to know what to make of Dundalk - they're surely better than their position in the table - but we must be looking for a win of course.

Trainee
04/04/2006, 4:09 PM
It a game that we have to and can win but it will be a lot harder than many people think.
We dont look scoring to many goals at the moment at times we are dropping to deep in defence

so lets hope we can take the lead on thurs night and if we do push on and try a get a second goal to kill the game off rather than dopping deep in defence and trying to hold on for 1 nil

It cost 2 points last firday night

Conor H
04/04/2006, 5:02 PM
We're now entering into a run of games against the so called "easier" teams.
Dundalk,Athlone and Kildare.We shoukd look and get 9 points from the 3 games if were going to be winning the league....end of.
If we can take 9 points the 6 we've taken so far wont look so bad.
Massive game already on Thursday....and i amn't too confident.:(
Lally's done alot of talking.....its time to start delivering.(i know there's only 4 games gone but still)

geezer
04/04/2006, 8:25 PM
its awful early days yet to be talking crunch and 6 pointers, this league is a marathon so were only setting out on the very early stages.

as jw said to me 2 points lost 2 harps could haunt us , i wouldnt like to lose points on rovers either, but the rest are average, stay in touch and we will be sound enough till mid season

JW.
04/04/2006, 9:12 PM
We'd want to be beating the likes of Dundalk - no question. It's time for us to start believing in our ability. At the moment, we're playing effectively without our strikers being in any form, as evidenced by Murph's penalty last night.

Trainee
05/04/2006, 10:48 AM
we need to win just so we can stay in touch with rovers
I know it is early in the season but it looks like rovers will not drop that many points throught the season so we need win our games if we want to win the league

hoops1
05/04/2006, 11:20 AM
Dundalk totally outplayed us for 70mins and should have been
at least 2 up before we scored
Im not jesting when i say a point wouldnt be a bad result

Magicme
05/04/2006, 11:32 AM
are you telling the truth Hoop1? Or is that a late April Fools joke?

Just that Dundalk's own fans seem to have given up and think that they are useless already. Am hoping that they dont find their form til we have played them at least.

hoops1
05/04/2006, 11:38 AM
Deadly serious!
All Dundalk need is 1 win to get them going,They were very
unlucky against us
There fans are always very quick to turn on there managers
The post saying we should be expecting to pick up points against
teams like Dundalk is silly IMO as anything other than Galway playing at there very best will see them drop points

Magicme
05/04/2006, 11:44 AM
God I thought things couldnt be that bad at Oriel but almost every fan is saying they were really bad on the pitch and unfit. Are the Dundalk Fans trying to pull off the "lull them into a false sense of security" tactics and come and trash us??

Oh dear.:eek:

Trainee
05/04/2006, 11:45 AM
It is a diffcult match for us we have struggled with the new pitch in the past but if goughie is at his very best in goals I fancy us to sneek 1 nil

corbyeire
06/04/2006, 11:17 AM
we are not very good at sneaking - as the last two games have proven:mad:

Battery Rover
06/04/2006, 12:26 PM
Hard to know what to make of Dundalk - they're surely better than their position in the table - but we must be looking for a win of course.

From what I saw when they played us they should be where they are. Their defence is apalling.

JC_GUFC
06/04/2006, 1:15 PM
Yeah apparently they're shocking at the back - mind you another draw would not be a total and utter disaster but we need to start winning games soon. I think most people would have taken an unbeaten start v Monaghan, Limerick, Rovers, Harps & Dundalk...

Terry
06/04/2006, 1:39 PM
I think most people would have taken an unbeaten start v Monaghan, Limerick, Rovers, Harps & Dundalk...

that can also be phrased as would everybody have taken one win against Monaghan, Limerick, Rovers, Harps & Dundalk !! Doesnt sound as good as the first one!

Terry
06/04/2006, 2:33 PM
Teamnews:: Dundalk v Galway Utd

After the long trip up to Donegal on Monday night Stephen Lally will be making several changes to his starting lineup and will be making full use of his 22 man squad again. Stevie Gavin is ...... www.galwayunitedfc.ie

Trainee
06/04/2006, 2:51 PM
A win tonight would leave us with our best start to a legue campain in 4 four years
All after 5 games played

2006 9 points ( if we win toinght)
2005 5 points
2004 7 points
2003 4 points
2001/2002 6 points

come on utd:)

galwaygirl
06/04/2006, 7:50 PM
Dundalk 1-0 Galway
Hughes 45

Cant believe they're gone 1 nil up. Hopefully this will move galway up a gear now as they know they wont be able to sit back

corbyeire
06/04/2006, 7:51 PM
lets hope so - come on utd!

galwaygirl
06/04/2006, 8:59 PM
all over. lost 1 nil, gutted :(

Conor H
06/04/2006, 9:05 PM
Ya good old Galway.
Dundalk have lost 4 in a row...they're only 3 poits behind us.:mad:
Time for the lads to wake up....were going to go 7 points behind Rovers tomorrow and only 5 games gone.

Everybody remember Lally's words....am i the only one starting to seriously doubt them.

Poor show tonight.Ragin!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

Magicme
06/04/2006, 9:29 PM
What went wrong? God I was hoping that u guys would get a draw!

Terry
07/04/2006, 7:33 AM
am i the only one starting to seriously doubt them.

No, Im with you there Conor. Infact, I was talking to a couple of the players during the week and they were saying that if training was a bit lighter they might have some energy left when the match comes around. They are being run into the ground constantly with damn all training going into anything else (passing, set peices etc..) Comon Noone and co. there is more to training than just doing laps !!!! 5 matches into the league and some players already saying they are close to being burned out! rediculous :mad:

Terry
07/04/2006, 7:59 AM
some bad reading here:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0406/dundalk1.html

Not one shot on target for the entire match ! Where are the goals going to come from ?:(

Patrick Dunne
07/04/2006, 8:15 AM
Goals seems to be the major problem alright, Terry. We've only conceded two in five games, so the defence have been doing their job.

With Murphy playing a deeper role, you've got Moran, Levine and O'Dowd as strikers. I can't see them getting 30 goals between them, which is what we need.

JC_GUFC
07/04/2006, 8:16 AM
Sadly that report is pretty much spot on.

In the first half we were probably shading possession but they had more chances. Reilly had the best chance of the half though when he got through one on one, he lobbed the keeper perfectly but it just went wide - it would've been a lovely goal if it had gone in....

The 2nd half was terrible - we never looked like scoring. Ciaran Foley went off at half time - he must've been injured because he looked our best player in the first half. They definitely should've won by more...

It's hard to know what the problem is - it's not as if our strikers are missing chances - they're simply not getting them... :(

Trainee
07/04/2006, 8:41 AM
How we respond to last nights result will determine our season
The management and players neeed to forget about it and work hard in training on the improvements needed
Nothing short of a win at home to athlone next friday will do
come on utd

hoops1
07/04/2006, 8:53 AM
Hate to say i told you so but!
I did

gufct
07/04/2006, 9:21 AM
our away record in Dundalk is appalling someone can probably check it out.We have a big problem in people not being fully fit and players making excuses is the easy way out.

We have the strongest squad we have had in years but everyone needs to pull their weight and be prepared to die for the cause at the moment there are some people need to take a long hard look at themselves and their commitment to the cause.

There is 28 games left people so panicking now is hardly going to solve anything remember Reading were thumped in their 1st game at home by Plymouth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conor H
07/04/2006, 9:38 AM
Sorry lads, I don't like Gill. I've been very critical.

But this win was needed and more importantly, deserved. Your forward line looked disorganised, and your midfield was weak.

We should have had 3 or 4 (no word of lie) and overall, while you battled well, the Galway lads lacked presence in the final third.

Just a point to note, I heard that one of your players (the No.11) had a fit or collasped at half time? Hope he's OK. Any word from your side?
www.irishfootie.net

Could that have been Rojas?Wasn't he subbed at half time?

Terry
07/04/2006, 10:39 AM
Foley was subbed at half time according to JC. But would he have been wearing the no.11 shirt? sounds bad:(

Conor H
07/04/2006, 11:18 AM
A.Gough
A.Keane
B.Clery
R.Frawley
N.Keady
C.Foley
M.Harty
J.Rojas
A.Murphy
P.Reilly
R.Cretaro

Subs
D.O'Dowd for C.Foley (ht)
D.O'Brien for J.Rojas (ht)F.Carter for B.Clery (64 mins

from www.galwayunitedfc.ie

Id say it was Rojas....hop he's ok.

Terry
07/04/2006, 11:25 AM
Id say it was Rojas....hope he's ok.

likewise, All the best Juan.

Terry
07/04/2006, 1:36 PM
our away record in Dundalk is appalling someone can probably check it out.

This was our first loss in oriel park in the last 4 visits as far as I can find (I think we won the previous encounter 4-0 also, but not sure). So its not as bad as we first thought.

Apr 6, 2006: Dundalk 1-0 Galway Utd
Oct 27, 2005: Dundalk 0-0 Galway Utd
Jun 23, 2005: Dundalk 0-3 Galway Utd
Oct 21, 2004: Dundalk 1-1 Galway Utd

gufct
07/04/2006, 3:38 PM
3 times, drawn 6 times and lost 18 times in Oriel easily our worst away record and thats just the league meetings. I hate the journey and hate the ground full stop.

I have seen Dundalk win three league titles there twice against Galway.